HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

H.Sedin & J.Thornton disagree with the league. Players speaking about the incident

Old
03-11-2011, 07:33 AM
SnapVirus

vCash: 500
H.Sedin & J.Thornton disagree with the league. Players speaking about the incident

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/316396.html

It was about time some real star players say something!

also

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357474

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/s...822/story.html

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

added the ones in english

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:44 AM
CPrice

Glad to hear some of the big names step up and call it out for what it is.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:46 AM
StanAjax

Congrats to Henrik Sedin and Joe Thornton.

It's about time someone stands up against the stupidity of the League, without being involved directly in an incident.

Nothing will happen as long as Bettman isn't fired though.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
it's about time the superstars of the league stood up and voiced their opinions

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Roke

Ben Eager also said something

Quote:
"I wasn’t surprised (at no suspension) because he plays for Boston. I know there’ve been a few incidents with that team and no suspension," Eager said. "It’s kind of ironic because his son plays for that team."

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/3/1...-campbell-nhl:

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Enough of these star players jump in maybe we can get some rule changes. Because how the NHL handles it now does not work. Head shots and cheap shots are becoming more common instead of a deterent

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I wonder if these guys are all going to get fined for calling out the league.....

Old
03-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Haddock

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again. The players should also target their union. It's unbelievable how little much the union ever says and does to ensure their members are protected.

I'm glad players are talking. This is not Bettman and Campbell and Murphy's league, it's theirs.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
neofury*

If you believe the NHL ruled fairly on this case, well heck dude, I got some ocean front property in Idaho for sale, partner

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
now eager saying something
now all crosby has to do is stop being the nice guy and peel into Bettman and his cronies
maybe gretzky should say something too... for someone who hasnt played in 12 years and doesnt have a job in the NHL he still holds allot of clout

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:24 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
In the end you are going to hear players on both sides of the equation. The smart thing for the league to do would be to really go out and have a conference and working groups on the subject this summer. The owners, executives, players, the union etc has to be involved. The league needs to really show that they are serious about this danger to their main asset, the players. It is high time that something be done before that first death does happen which I feel is inevitable with the way things are right now.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Dfresh429

Its nice that they didn't care enough about Ryan Smyth to speak out about Jack Johnson and him riding Smyth into the "turnbuckle".

Dfresh429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
ReVeuF

Would be really nice if Crosby talk about the situation too, pretty sure he is on our side himself too.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfresh429 View Post
Its nice that they didn't care enough about Ryan Smyth to speak out about Jack Johnson and him riding Smyth into the "turnbuckle".
I think it is more the fact that there is so much outrage, for lack of a better term, this time. People seem to have reached a boiling point and want something to be done.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Joe Thornton is suddenly a villain on the main boards now

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again. The players should also target their union. It's unbelievable how little much the union ever says and does to ensure their members are protected.

I'm glad players are talking. This is not Bettman and Campbell and Murphy's league, it's theirs.
Well, Fehr has only gotting his hand into the matter and let give him a chance to do something.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:38 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Just like I said in another thread....it's an ole boys club. And the Habs are their enemy. They're all hab-haters and the ties to Boston are there. Even Burke, that moron....he was a part of it, and still helps out the Bruins. Odd how he makes so many major deals (beneficial to Boston) with the Bruins. That is his home town.

I say, let's call Oliver Stone.....there's a good conspiracy plot thickening here.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
So basically if the league fines the players for expressing their opinion he is promoting dictatorship. But if Chara nearly kills a player and says "Oops" he gets nothing.

I'd like to see Bettman try.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:42 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfresh429 View Post
You have to love the way spin is used to turn things around. They say something about the non suspension and are called out for not having said something about another incident. Therefore their opinions are meaningless.

It's like people posting links to hits Patches and Gill made demonstrating that they too are guilty. How moronic. I have yet to see a hit by either guy that shows clear intent to harm after 2 consecutive games of chasing that player around trying to get payback.

Hopefully more players say something before the GM's meet. That will help the GM's that are trying to change things. I have to think after reading the letter by Molson and knowing that PG was livid after the ruling that the Habs brass will set the agenda and control the process concerning discipline in the future.

If you want to pull the plug on this type of crap make it an automatic suspension like leaving the bench to engage a fight gets you 10 games. Flipping the puck into the stands gets you 2 minutes whether you mean it or not. That's how you make it fair.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

to deter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
You have to love the way spin is used to turn things around. They say something about the non suspension and are called out for not having said something about another incident. Therefore their opinions are meaningless.

It's like people posting links to hits Patches and Gill made demonstrating that they too are guilty. How moronic. I have yet to see a hit by either guy that shows clear intent to harm after 2 consecutive games of chasing that player around trying to get payback.

Hopefully more players say something before the GM's meet. That will help the GM's that are trying to change things. I have to think after reading the letter by Molson and knowing that PG was livid after the ruling that the Habs brass will set the agenda and control the process concerning discipline in the future.

If you want to pull the plug on this type of crap make it an automatic suspension like leaving the bench to engage a fight gets you 10 games. Flipping the puck into the stands gets you 2 minutes whether you mean it or not. That's how you make it fair.
bold is the perfect point.

i take the thornton hit on perron as an example. i have some bias since i love watching STL and Perron, like MaxPac is a fav of mine and on my fantasy keeper. that disclosed, i have no doubt that thornton didn't intend to take Perron out for what is now clearly the season and threaten his career long term. i'm sure he just thought "i can catch this guy" and laid into him. it was not a huge hit, just circumstance, timing and head all lined up.

now, if you have a set rule in stone that says "make an illegal hit (say the 5 min major variety to make it more clear if preferred) that leads to injury and you are automatically gone 10 games, with a review board committee to determine if further suspension and fine is warranted.

if that was in place and Thornton steps out of the box and sees Perron in a vulnerable spot maybe he thinks i better not risk it instead of what the hell, i'm gonna give him a jolt.

i'd take it a next step and say on the third one of it's kind, a review committee meets to determine if the player should be suspended for good. try to clean up guys like ruutu.

with this type of system will there be hits that get the 10 game suspension that drive people insane and to yell "that's not hockey! it was a honest hit that went wrong!" yes, and that is what the review is for. maybe if all parties involved, including the player hurt and his coach/owner say that it was not malicious yadda yadda, so be it, the ten can be reduced to 2 or 5. but looking at the increase of injuries and serious ones over the last few seasons, something drastic needs to be done. clearly the players don't have enough respect for each other.

does it take away from the hockey many of us love and some of the huge hits? of course. and does that suck? of course. but it's time to put the players and their families first. i know most are paid millions, but is that worth it if your quality of life is ruined for the rest of your life?

i still can't believe bertuzzi is allowed to play hockey. but that's a whole can of worms and argument no one wants to re-hash, so my bad for even bringing it up.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
E = CH²

I think, for anyone who read the e-mails, it's obvious that Campbell has a vested interest in his son's involvement in referee's decisions. I think a lot of people would suggest that just his interest can be seen as pressuring the system for favorable calls for his son.

With how unprofessional the e-mails were, you have to wonder about the way these guys handle everything, including supplementary discipline for illegal plays. You have to.

In any case, in all matters of impartiality, appearances matter as much as reality. Appearances don't look good atm. So glad NHLers are calling the league out. Looks like people have had enough.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:14 AM
coolasprICE

Mods, you should change the subject title of this thread to '' players who are speaking-up'' .. and just keep the OP updated with a list of names and links

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Mods, you should change the subject title of this thread to '' players who are speaking-up'' .. and just keep the OP updated with a list of names and links
Done

Old
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Didn't Thornton cheap shot Perron this season? Oh yeah, he did.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote