HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

H.Sedin & J.Thornton disagree with the league. Players speaking about the incident

Old
03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Santino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Didn't Thornton cheap shot Perron this season? Oh yeah, he did.
but he was held accountable which is the whole premise of this fallout.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
but he was held accountable which is the whole premise of this fallout.
Yeah but Chara didn't make an intentional head shot. So why would he be held accountable? Joe did, so he is a cause of the problem.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I think, for anyone who read the e-mails, it's obvious that Campbell has a vested interest in his son's involvement in referee's decisions. I think a lot of people would suggest that just his interest can be seen as pressuring the system for favorable calls for his son.

With how unprofessional the e-mails were, you have to wonder about the way these guys handle everything, including supplementary discipline for illegal plays. You have to.

In any case, in all matters of impartiality, appearances matter as much as reality. Appearances don't look good atm. So glad NHLers are calling the league out. Looks like people have had enough.
I counted 12 shots Gregory Campbell landed on Pyatt's face with his elbow pad on Feb 9th. If the roles were reversed, Pyatt would be looking for a job in the KHL that very night

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Yeah but Chara didn't make an intentional head shot. So why would he be held accountable? Joe did, so he is a cause of the problem.
If the Bruin fan base argues that we have no proof it was intentional, you have no proof that it was not. End of story, only one guy knows if he meant to do it or not.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Finally, some bigname players with enough courage in place of hypocrisy to inject some common sense into this mess of a league.

And I agree with the folks saying Crosby should say something about this. It's now or never.

Anyone has that video of Lucy's crossheck Thornton was alluding to?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
You get a penalty for putting your stick up somebody's face, regardless of intention.
you get a penalty for throwing the puck in the crowd, regardless of intention.

Why should a head shot have to be intentional to be punished?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
canucksfan

I loved Eager's comments. They are bang on. I bet a lot of players around the league feel this way.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
That's the whole point of this debate... a lot of us here argue that he actually did it on purpose... but we will never be sure if he did or not...

...we could also argue that Thornton didn't hit Perron intentionnaly on the head... but the result was a head shot.

Chara might not have intentionnaly shove Pacioretty on the turnbuckle, but the result was a pretty brutal shove into the turnbuckle.

Btw, it was an interference play by Chara, which means it was an illegal play to begin with...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Even Sedin, a guy who is completely unbiased, saying that if someone says he did not know where the stanchion is on the ice after playing hockey for 20 years, then he is lieing. Not to mention that there was some background between patches and Chara, oh and the fact that Chara's arm is guiding his head into the stanchion. There are too many variables that point to the probability that he did it intentionally.

That being said, I'm sure he didn't want to almost cripple the kid.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
If the Bruin fan base argues that we have no proof it was intentional, you have no proof that it was not. End of story, only one guy knows if he meant to do it or not.
I found this odd as well. Even alot of the media folks when arguing were using the excuse that "we don't know what is in Chara's head", well no ****...but they don't know that he didn't mean to do it either. Makes no sense for them to argue this.

Maliki2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
ScottFC

We should try and Contact some of the players and ask them to speak so that this dirty **** is taken out of the game for good.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Stephpa10

now who is biased, bruins fans wake up and just look at the hit. He pushes him into the post at the last min,

nuff said

Quote:

Stephpa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Santino

Quote:
Only Chara knows whether his actions were intentional and premedidated or not. To say it was or wasn't is not for us to conclude. However, the result of the injury was caused by a careless, reckless directed shove, not even a hit but a calculated directed shove that did not have to be made. He was well aware where he was on the ice because, right off the draw the puck was directed towards the benches and he and Max skated towards that direction. Morever he and Max knew where they were, the puck was not in Max's possesion and Max had taken 3 full strides before he was dragged into the stanchion. It was an evident interferance call which means that play did not have to be made(especially with 15 seconds remaining in the period and trailing 4-0) and Chara left Max in a state where he could not protect himself. Intent or not, it was a counterproductive play which injured a player severely, Chara must be accountable for his actions.

And to add insult to injury he says that he did not know that Max was on the ice and that he did not know that it was him he had it. Really? As a defensement during a whitle before a faceoff, i dont care what you say, YOU KNOW who you're defending against, and ive played hockey, you're taught to always know who is on the ice and who are you defending against. Moreover they were both skating in the same direction with Chara at Max's heels while having Max's name and numberd jersey in Charas field of vision. So when Chara says he didn't know who was on the ice, didnt know where he was on the ice, didn't know who he was hitting, where the **** was he looking during the 5-6 seconds after the face off?!?!?! Does Chara skate with his eyes closed? We're talking about an elite defensemen who was played 900+ games. A rookie playing his first ever game at the Bell Center can make the argument that he didnt know the geometry and construction of the partitions of the Bell center, Chara cannot.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Are you saying it was indeed a head shot?

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Chara had lies multiple times already in this incident.

Of COURSE he knew that was Pacioretty

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I think, for anyone who read the e-mails, it's obvious that Campbell has a vested interest in his son's involvement in referee's decisions. I think a lot of people would suggest that just his interest can be seen as pressuring the system for favorable calls for his son.

With how unprofessional the e-mails were, you have to wonder about the way these guys handle everything, including supplementary discipline for illegal plays. You have to.

In any case, in all matters of impartiality, appearances matter as much as reality. Appearances don't look good atm. So glad NHLers are calling the league out. Looks like people have had enough.
When Bettman came out to show full support to Campbell after those leaked emails, I really felt the league had dropped to an all time low.
If favoritism wasn't clear enough and if they felt there was absolutely nothing wrong with how the head of the disciplinary committee handled himself, then you had to wonder just how deeply corrupted or incompetent these people are.
There could not be a better proof of corruption imo. Campbell sounded like a typical hockey dad taking things a little too seriously.

I was appalled when nothing was made of those emails. I was convinced Campbell was getting fired.

I'm glad players are speaking up, I hope more come out, and I'm also glad they're hinting at some favoritism towards the Bruins.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
In the real world outside the NHL, people are held accountable and are punishable for gross negligence. Intentional or not, it doesn't really matter. And that hit by Chara was gross negligence. He knew who was coming and where the stanchion was but he went ahead and made a reckless and dangerous play aimed at hurting the player; it turned out much worse than expected. --> Gross negligence. So, punishable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
When Bettman came out to show full support to Campbell after those leaked emails, I really felt the league had dropped to an all time low.
If favoritism wasn't clear enough and if they felt there was absolutely nothing wrong with how the head of the disciplinary committee handled himself, then you had to wonder just how deeply corrupted or incompetent these people are.
There could not be a better proof of corruption imo. Campbell sounded like a typical hockey dad taking things a little too seriously.

I was appalled when nothing was made of those emails. I was convinced Campbell was getting fired.

I'm glad players are speaking up, I hope more come out, and I'm also glad they're hinting at some favoritism towards the Bruins.
Most people just naturally doubt any possible corruption and instead blindly trust the system. And when someone suggests any possible corruption or foul play in the system, this person is generally quickly ridiculed about wearing a tinfoil hat or being a conspiracy theorist.

We need some whistleblowers to denounce this league. I'm convinced it's corrupt to the bone.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 03-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
NBP81

Nobody knows if he intended it, but we all know he's lying...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:19 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
Nobody knows if he intended it, but we all know he's lying...
No, we don't know that.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Andy

So the list so far.Eager
Sedin
Thornton
Schenn
Lupul
MacCarthur
Eller
Price
Gomez
Pierre Mcguire
Steve Koulas
Tanner Glass

all these people have spoken out against no suspension.

Last edited by Andy: 03-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:24 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
How come that link doesn't work anymore?

I went to that site and what I read is that we can't prove intent therefore any accusations are meaningless. I don't get it. If you drive recklessly and kill somebody don't you still go to jail for manslaughter because of the results of your actions and not your intent? Isn't there a measure of responsibility at play? When you show no remorse and lie about where you were (I think it was around the bench) and who you clobbered I didn't even know it was him) doesn't that carry any weight?

At any rate, some players are coming out. MacArthur from the Leafs was good to see speaking out. Now we need victims like Crosby to say it out loud.

I remember Bergeron hardly being able to move without being nauseous for months on end and then going on tour talking about how this has to end. No progress was made since then. Maybe we can make it happen this time. I think players are starting to think of their personal well being now. They could be next and one day somebody will get killed if it isn't stopped.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
29dryden29

I agree with Thornton on teh fact that the Bs seem to escape any serious discipline in most situations but that being said hits in that area happen often Ryan Smyth was hit by Jack Johnson and put out when he was with the Avs and our own Hal Gill put John Simm into the stantion last season and nothing so it happens a lot and never gets called the NHL made the correct decision.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Enough of these star players jump in maybe we can get some rule changes. Because how the NHL handles it now does not work. Head shots and cheap shots are becoming more common instead of a deterent
Even Crosby was complaining and he's still out with his concussion. But everyone assumed he's biased because he's the guy who is injured..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
Joe Thornton is suddenly a villain on the main boards now
It's because most of them don't want change and don't like ideas or actions that go against the grain.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Andy

I have Bruins fans now telling me that the call wasn't even an interference play, that the "puck was at their feet on impact" even though Pacioretty's head hadn't even hit the partition and the puck was in the bruins defensive zone. Man, it's ****ing fustrating because then I get called the ****ing homer when I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote