HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Shannon?

Old
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
HockeyTownUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachman View Post
Shannon is a low cost little guy with speed. We needed those because of the coin invested in other contracts. Losing Fisher, Kovalev and Kelly makes Shannon's relative worth lower to this team because we no longer need a very inexpensive body with some merit (speed). Unless Eugene wants a rock bottom payroll next season I don't see a fit. He would be occupying a slot that could be used on one of the kids who can bring just as much if not more.
That is the big unknown, isn't it? Much more was expected of Regin. Look how that turned out.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:52 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
That is the big unknown, isn't it? Much more was expected of Regin. Look how that turned out.
I would much rather have Regin than Shannon, this is his best yr in the NHL so far & he only has 21 pts & at his age he isn't going to get any better I don't think. I'm quite sure we can get better scorers for our top 2 lines & bigger, tougher players for our bottom two lines. If he was scoring like Gionta or Ennis than there would be an arguement to keep him but it's inconsistent at best & IMO he just doesn't fit in to next yr's team unless as a 13th forward maybe.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
trobby

I'm thinking Shannon has seen this thread....

Have to admit, he's been playing pretty well...lately...but I never want to see him near our Top-6...or 4th line...but...maybe, just maybe our 3rd line...

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Tomorrow's headlines???

A Shorty by Shorty

Just doesn't matter. Last 3 games, 3 goals.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would much rather have Regin than Shannon, this is his best yr in the NHL so far & he only has 21 pts & at his age he isn't going to get any better I don't think. I'm quite sure we can get better scorers for our top 2 lines & bigger, tougher players for our bottom two lines. If he was scoring like Gionta or Ennis than there would be an arguement to keep him but it's inconsistent at best & IMO he just doesn't fit in to next yr's team unless as a 13th forward maybe.
Actually, if you consider the time on ice for each, 12:03/g for Shannon and 19:35 for Gionta, they're pretty similar. If you prorate Shannon's points to get him a similar amount of time on the ice and games played, he would have around 37 points to Gionta's 40.

That doesn't take into account the quality of opponents, or power play time, but it does go to show that he does quite a bit with the limited time he is given.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:52 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think differently.

Old
03-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Afro Thunder*

Anyone got his stats ever since he's been playing top 6 minutes?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Anyone got his stats ever since he's been playing top 6 minutes?
Last 13 games since Feb 23rd when he played over 21:00 minutes...

4 goals 6 assists + 2 36 shots approx 17.5-18 minutes a game.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Last 13 games since Feb 23rd when he played over 21:00 minutes...

4 goals 6 assists + 2 36 shots approx 17.5-18 minutes a game.
Enough for me to want him back next season, with a young team full of speed Shannon can fit into our bottom 6 with Condra and can be moved up into the top 6 when needed (injuries, chemistry etc). Plus he fills a roster spot with an NHL caliber player. I say sign him to a 1 year deal, 2 if we're generous.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I have never seen Shannon play with this type of speed and consistency where he always uses his speed and creativeness to back off the defenders.

I want him back for sure.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

Then its settled. We will resign Shannon and pencil him in as a 3rd line center but he has to promise to get better at faceoffs.

HappyDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
operasen

Bump

I think he should be signed based on his last 20 games. I know we have a lot of guys competing for spots next year and Greening, Condra and Butler should be on the team, but Shannon is on pace for a good season over 82 games. He has evolved into a useful player. Could bump Winchester on the 4th energy line.

Spezza, Regin, Winchester, Shannon down the middle with maybe a UFA (rather a wing for Spezza) and Draft pick in the mix as well.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Nice to see people blinded by his useless pressure off/increase role production again. He did the exact same thing in 08-09, got a contract and proceeded to do nothing for 1 3/4 seasons. Alfie will be back next season, Butler, Greening might be on the team, our #1 draft pick and maybe even Regin. Shannon won't get the minutes he's getting now, pressure will be increased and he'll go back to sucking. I'd rather have his spot open for someone else.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Nice to see people blinded by his useless pressure off/increase role production again. He did the exact same thing in 08-09, got a contract and proceeded to do nothing for 1 3/4 seasons. Alfie will be back next season, Butler, Greening might be on the team, our #1 draft pick and maybe even Regin. Shannon won't get the minutes he's getting now, pressure will be increased and he'll go back to sucking. I'd rather have his spot open for someone else.
Gotta agree with this guy.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Gotta agree with this guy.
I don't. Good things happen with ice time. In both instances when he was given more time, and this time around, more responsibility, he has come through. When playing a limited role with less skilled guys and getting 8 minutes a night, it is hard to do anything well. The next mistake you make could be your last shift for the night. Now, he is playing with confidence and not looking over his shoulder when a bad play happens.

Not sure what else a player has to do to prove they can get the job done when given the chance.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

3rd line or gtfo

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

If we could bench him for the next two games I'd be ok with that...hehe

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
operasen

Switch up the 4th to a flash and dash line instead of in your face ty;pes. He'd fit there. With Alfie, Regin and a UFA coming back into the top 6 and no trades yet made, we are crowded already for our Draft Pick and Da Costa (who will be AHL to start I think)

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Alpostrophe
Cynic In Residence

Six figure deal. At less than 1/60th of the cap I could accept Shannon as a plugger for one more season.

Alpostrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
This. Sens fans are delusional, Shannon has done this before and tricked sens fans into thinking he was another St Louis or Gionta. There is no space for him at all for next season, gotta have open spots for rookies.

The sens need to provide an opportunity for multiple propsects to make the team, signing Shannon would rob a more worthy player of the opportunity. Sens prospects pushing for spots next season: Butler, Greening, Condra, Smith, Da Costa, Wick, Stone, Sens 1st pick, and possibly K Dawg, Silfverberg, any other sens 2011 picks.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
I don't. Good things happen with ice time. In both instances when he was given more time, and this time around, more responsibility, he has come through. When playing a limited role with less skilled guys and getting 8 minutes a night, it is hard to do anything well. The next mistake you make could be your last shift for the night. Now, he is playing with confidence and not looking over his shoulder when a bad play happens.

Not sure what else a player has to do to prove they can get the job done when given the chance.
Easy there Shannon, just because the sens don't want you doesn't mean that some other NHL team won't sign you at league min, lol

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Easy there Shannon, just because the sens don't want you doesn't mean that some other NHL team won't sign you at league min, lol
Ok former junior hockey player who never made to the big time. Thanks for your wishes.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
BigEyedPhish

I'd keep Shannon. He is an NHL player, that, when called upon, produces offense.. If we could build a big 2nd line that can create space. I do not think he would look out of place on a scoring line.

It's a real shame he is not bigger or stronger, otherwise he would be one of our best players. That said, he reminds me of Alfredsson on the point on the Power play. Sometimes he's invisible, but when he's not he is very noticeable and very good at controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
jbeck5

Quote:

Well that's precisely it. For us to be a good team, he won't be getting a lot of ice time. And if we are to be one of the best teams, he wouldn't crack the top 12-13 forwards.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Well that's precisely it. For us to be a good team, he won't be getting a lot of ice time. And if we are to be one of the best teams, he wouldn't crack the top 12-13 forwards.
Why not? Because some guys are over-hyped, a flash in the pan, "perceived" to be better for whatever reasons.