HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If they don't get an enforcer, why not re-acquire SC..

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Tucker316*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
If they don't get an enforcer, why not re-acquire SC..

Shayne Corson again?

He's good friends with Gainey, he's played here before and likes the city. He has a much better skill set than any enforcer in the league, and will drop the gloves, and provide you with some size. He can still play too, I think he proved it well enough last season with the stars. He doesn't have to play anywhere above the third line now, and he's no floater, which the Habs had a lot of anyways. I think he still has 2 seasons left in him about.
At least he'll stick up for his teammates, and he may not have a genuine presence like a true enforcer, he'll drop them, along with the others we have, I think we'd get by well enough. He could also give you some points and pot some goals. Kill penalties..if I'm gainey I'd go after him. He seems rather forgotten lately.

Old
07-05-2004, 01:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

No way, BOOOO!

Old
07-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Clumsyhab

NO, we don't need Corson.

1. He's old
2. He's not that big & physical
3. He doesn't drop his gloves anymore
4. He sleeps with his teamates' wife

Old
07-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Tucker316*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
NO, we don't need Corson.

1. He's old
2. He's not that big & physical
3. He doesn't drop his gloves anymore
4. He sleeps with his teamates' wife

So you believe what the press and other media scum spout? He's 38. He's got a good solid year left, until we can get some other physical player in.

He wont float around, he will drop the gloves..he did with the stars last season. And he may not be that big, but langdon wasn't either, and he did nothing on the ice but fight, and when he did he never won, nor intimidated nobody.
He plays physically though corson does, and will get you some production, much more then most 4th liners will get you, and he'd come cheap.
You can still get your big star player, whilst at the same time acquiring some grit that we sorely lack on the forward lines..I'm sorry but begin alone does not cut it.

Old
07-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
langdon wasn't either, and he did nothing on the ice but fight, and when he did he never won, nor intimidated nobody.
We were watching a different Langdon. He fought only bigtime heavyweights and did well against them, winning quite a few and losing almost none. Look up his 2004 fight card if you don't believe it.

We could use a guy like Corson (although I don't think we could use Corson anymore), but that doesn't mean we can give up on getting another guy like Langdon. Do you really think Corson could stand up to a guy like Andrew Peters three times a year? He'd get smoked so bad on the first go he wouldn't even think about going back.

I loved Corson in his prime. He's maybe my all-time favourite Hab after Carbonneau. There's no way, though, that I think he could play an intimidating checking game for us anymore. He's so damned slow.

Old
07-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Tucker316*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
We were watching a different Langdon. He fought only bigtime heavyweights and did well against them, winning quite a few and losing almost none. Look up his 2004 fight card if you don't believe it.

We could use a guy like Corson (although I don't think we could use Corson anymore), but that doesn't mean we can give up on getting another guy like Langdon. Do you really think Corson could stand up to a guy like Andrew Peters three times a year? He'd get smoked so bad on the first go he wouldn't even think about going back.

I loved Corson in his prime. He's maybe my all-time favourite Hab after Carbonneau. There's no way, though, that I think he could play an intimidating checking game for us anymore. He's so damned slow.

I know he's no heavyweight. But langdon is not an intimidator either. Langdon does nothing in his fights to win, he just fights not to lose.
Now Langdon cant skate fast himself and doesnt help in anyway offensively..I know corson couldnt go with peters every single time either, but right now, if you dont get an enforcer, nobody on the team can.
Komi and souray are too valuable on the D. We cant have them in the box alot..rivet is like corson...and bouillon drops them but would get his ass kicked by anyone who knew how to fight. Begin wont drop them. We have nobody in the minors who will be ready, or willing this season, nor do we need some of them.

I think corson would be a great last resort pickup. At least with him the team would have more options. Otherwise they best get a true heavyweight.

I also forgot to add something. Seeing as how the Habs dont have any true heavyweight on their roster right now, I'm thinking other teams wouldnt be so inclined to even dress an enforcer against the habs when they play them. Meaning the sabres wouldnt feel the need to dress peters against the habs, nor would the leafs need to dress say both belak and domi. One will do. But most teams who have a main enforcer, wont dress him. Thus we can say corson would only have to go with the likes of say the marchments, and boultons, who he could handle..you know light heavy's to middleweights.

Last edited by Tucker316*: 07-05-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old
07-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Zednik

I'd prefer someone like Krystof Oliwa...

Old
07-05-2004, 02:06 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I'd rather wait for the waiver draft.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:24 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
I'd rather wait for the waiver draft.
Nice avatar...

Old
07-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Go Habs Go

no, no more Corson!

Old
07-05-2004, 02:36 AM
ifesfor*

God what a great idea!And why not ask Stephane Richer to come back and score 50 goals again for us, no?

Ohh yeah great idea

Old
07-05-2004, 04:43 AM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
And he may not be that big, but langdon wasn't either, and he did nothing on the ice but fight, and when he did he never won, nor intimidated nobody.
What the heck are you talking about? Langdon was superb in the fighting role last year. He was incredible. He beat Domi, for God's sake.

What didn't he do to intimidate people? Beat Brashear? McSorely already did enough of that with that Philly loser.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:50 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Didn't Langdon not lose a fight last year? I think he won or drawed all, never beaten, or maybe one. Bah I hate when people talk out there ass. Montreal inform this ignorant people

Old
07-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Marksman

Bringing Corson back would be risking team chemistry, for almost zero return in production. He had his click with Tucker Thornton Stevenson etc., none of them remained with Habs either... he would have even more difficulty fitting in now.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Shayne Corson again?

He's good friends with Gainey, he's played here before and likes the city. He has a much better skill set than any enforcer in the league, and will drop the gloves, and provide you with some size. He can still play too, I think he proved it well enough last season with the stars. He doesn't have to play anywhere above the third line now, and he's no floater, which the Habs had a lot of anyways. I think he still has 2 seasons left in him about.
At least he'll stick up for his teammates, and he may not have a genuine presence like a true enforcer, he'll drop them, along with the others we have, I think we'd get by well enough. He could also give you some points and pot some goals. Kill penalties..if I'm gainey I'd go after him. He seems rather forgotten lately.
Worst idea evar

Old
07-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Joe Cole

Why not bring back Gilles Lupien, Pierre Bouchard, Butch Bouchard, Chris Nilan and John Ferguson too?

Old
07-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I love Shayne Corson for his on-ice performance for the Habs over the years, and I do think (unlike many) that he still has enough left in the tank to be a decent 4th liner who could contribute to most teams in the NHL. However... I just don't think he's the right fit for our team right now.

He does have good leadership skills and great character if he can keep his mind straight, but I think he has also proven over the years that he's not exactly stable, and once he gets into a bad spot, that strong character can turn on you a bit. I don't think we need to take that risk when we've got a young developing team with good chemistry right now.

There are other Shayne Corsons out there as FAs or who will be available on waivers who would be better options if we choose to go that route.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:48 AM
mcphee

Corson, like Craig Rivet seems to be one of those guys for who opinions are total opposites. I liked him in Mtl. though I thought his offense never quite got to where it should have in his career. My problem with him is that I think his presence in the room would work against what the team is building.He would take up too much space in a time that others have that role and others have to grow into it. I don't think he's a bad guy, and I think Blind Gardien summed up any other personal quite well the other day. Put a bunch of people together and stuff will happen. Happens in offices, and pretty well any other situation. I have no idea what happened with him in Mtl. or Toronto, and I've heard "scandalous" stories about many of our heroes dating back to the 40's and 50's. [ no I'm not that old, but I did listen to my Dad on occasion.] If I'm wrong about how he would affect the team, he probably would be a decent 4th line option, but 4th liners can't be the focal points.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:59 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Corson was great in his stint with the Habs, loved that intensity. The problem is, that age is creeping up on him and I just don't see Gainey interested in players in their twilight of their career. It just seems to fly in the face of what he is doing right now. He gave qualifying offers to all the "younger" players (Ryder, Souray, Zednik, Ribeiro, etc.) and the "veterans" were all wished well in the free agency market (Perreault, Dowd, Langdon...and for a while Quintal before he was traded).

Bob is likely fishing around right now to see what he can add to the team, but I would imagine he is targetting someone younger than Corson at this point.

Old
07-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Malmsteen44

Corson would be a completely useless part to a "young, rebuilding, team". He isn't YOUNG, he isn't part of rebuilding, and he showed that his "heart" is somewhat lacking by quitting the Leafs.

No way do we want this OLD man. I didn't want him when we got ripped off by St. Louis and lost Pierre Turgeon (in his prime).

Old
07-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Didn't Langdon not lose a fight last year? I think he won or drawed all, never beaten, or maybe one. Bah I hate when people talk out there ass. Montreal inform this ignorant people
Wade Belak laid an ugly beating on Langdon and who ever said Langdon only fights NOT to lose is right.
The Habs need a Kordic/Nilan/Ferguson reincarnate ,somebody who is truely feared by the opposition.
Langdon never struck fear into anybody.
Good move by Bob.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:14 PM
eddy

Loved Corson when he was with Montreal but with his age and all I really wouldn't care to bring him back to Montreal.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Tucker316*

I'll at least thank the guys in here who gave reason as to why corson may not fit on our team, other then those other posters in here who would bash my thought with a one liner or come back with that old stagnant reply of "why not bring back so and so from the 50's 60's and 70's..."

E=CH2 obviously is biased against corson so yeah..

But anyways it was just a though, I actually think he can help a team, but I see it might not work well with the way the Habs are going. I just wanted some decent opinions on this is all. So thanks for those who at least didn't take the time to bash me, but took the time to actually review my idea.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:28 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I've loved the way Corson played during his stints in Montreal, but with his fight with Colitis, he misses quite a few games when it flares up on him. I also think that theres better Goons out there than Corson, who I always thought was a hardnosed player who would drop them if needed, but not really a Goon. I wish Corson the best, but hopefully not with us, I just don't think he's what we need at this point in our developement.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:25 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
I love Corson as well, however, he is too old to fill the role of enforcer full time, i was thinking of dipping into the AHL and trying to snag Colton Orr from the Provedince Bruins if at all possible. He is harder than a coffin nail ------ taken from one of my favourite movies, snatch -----

any thoughts on that?

Closed Thread