HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
  #76
Pentothal
Listen with one ear
 
Pentothal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: It's not even close
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
and whys that... Edmonton has the right as does every NHL team to decide how to develop their players

Im all for players getting to play for their countries , but comments like your are just stupid and uncalled for
How is what I said stupid or uncalled for? It's quite simple really - I want the best Swedish players to play for our national team. It's only natural that I would prefer Swedes go to organisations that understands and respects the wishes of their players to represent their country. Honoring contracts.. things like this means nothing to me as a fan. I want to see a Swede who's out of the NHL playoffs to play in the WC's if he's good enough. There's been a gentlemans agreement in place to let players play at the WC's given that they are out of the playoffs. And if an NHL won't let them go because their AHL team needs a boost, well then I definitely not want to see more young Swedes go to that team. Simple.

Someone in here wrote something like "he has proven everything at the WC level". Bloody hell, the World Championships is not a developmental friendly tournament, it's taken seriously this side of the pond. And if you can't respect that maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Another reason why I would prefer young Swedes to avoid Edmonton is their questionable track record when it comes to player development. Once highly touted youngsters like Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are looking very ordinary at this point. Eberle and Hall had good rookie seasons and Pääjärvi did well at the end of the season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they their careers pan out.


Last edited by Pentothal: 04-11-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:51 AM
  #77
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Bruce Garrioch (ottawa sun) said Karlsson won't play.


Hopefully Rundblad and Silverberg get in.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
  #78
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 336
Hopefully Backlund and Erixon make it

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
  #79
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Hopefully Backlund and Erixon make it
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Backlund will be representing Sweden at the Worlds.

Quote:
Henrik Karlsson and Brett Carson departed the premises at around 10 a.m., while Mikael Backlund stopped by to announce that he would be representing Sweden at the IIHF world championships in Slovakia from April 29 to May 15.

"They're really interested and I want to go," Backlund said. "I had to meet with Jay (Feaster) and the coaches first but they are really excited for me to go. I'm just waiting for them to call me now and let me know the dates.

"It'll be a lot of fun."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Flames+...#ixzz1JEjnBLKn
Erixon on the other hand, we'll have to see.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
  #80
Grabovski
Грабовский правил
 
Grabovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gomel, Belarus
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Anyone know who has accepted so far?

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
  #81
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Erixon on the other hand, we'll have to see.
good to hear. He played real well in limited minutes this season, and even better down the stretch on the top line. Hope he tears it up.

Edit: The Backlund playing part, i guess the quote wasnt too helpful.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
  #82
ItsTheBGB
WJC Pool Champ!
 
ItsTheBGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
How is what I said stupid or uncalled for? It's quite simple really - I want the best Swedish players to play for our national team. It's only natural that I would prefer Swedes go to organisations that understands and respects the wishes of their players to represent their country. Honoring contracts.. things like this means nothing to me as a fan. I want to see a Swede who's out of the NHL playoffs to play in the WC's if he's good enough. There's been a gentlemans agreement in place to let players play at the WC's given that they are out of the playoffs. And if an NHL won't let them go because their AHL team needs a boost, well then I definitely not want to see more young Swedes go to that team. Simple.

Someone in here wrote something like "he has proven everything at the WC level". Bloody hell, the World Championships is not a developmental friendly tournament, it's taken seriously this side of the pond. And if you can't respect that maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Another reason why I would prefer young Swedes to avoid Edmonton is their questionable track record when it comes to player development. Once highly touted youngsters like Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are looking very ordinary at this point. Eberle and Hall had good rookie seasons and Pääjärvi did well at the end of the season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they their careers pan out.
Brule wasn't our draft pick. But I will agree about Gagner and Cogliano, even though Cogs never had the hands in the first place.

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
  #83
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabovski View Post
Anyone know who has accepted so far?
From NHL, only Paajarvi and Backlund afaik. Give it a day or two and I think we'll have a pretty good picture on what we have.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
  #84
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Too bad Edmonton is sending Omark to the minors instead of letting him go to the WC..

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
  #85
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,115
vCash: 50
Any word on whether Wandell or Grossman will be getting invites?

Trying to get a feel for how well-represented the Stars will be.

(I'm assuming Loui's already mulling over his decision).

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
  #86
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Any word on whether Wandell or Grossman will be getting invites?

Trying to get a feel for how well-represented the Stars will be.

(I'm assuming Loui's already mulling over his decision).
i read somewhere that grossman was still a little injuried and wasnt sure about participating, and wandell its just a matter of if he is good enough compared with the players on the roster

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
  #87
ronnyweed
Registered User
 
ronnyweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
pencil in both sedins for the start of the tourney

ronnyweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:58 PM
  #88
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Too bad Edmonton is sending Omark to the minors instead of letting him go to the WC..
When has he ever won us anything?

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
  #89
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,011
vCash: 500
You guys think Gunnarsson will play?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
  #90
Grabovski
Грабовский правил
 
Grabovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gomel, Belarus
Country: Belarus
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
You guys think Gunnarsson will play?
He played last year and they won a Bronze so I wouldn't see why not this year.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
  #91
Leafed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
As a Leaf fan, I hope Gustavsson makes it. I really think he can rebound with a chance.

Leafed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:06 AM
  #92
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
How is what I said stupid or uncalled for? It's quite simple really - I want the best Swedish players to play for our national team. It's only natural that I would prefer Swedes go to organisations that understands and respects the wishes of their players to represent their country. Honoring contracts.. things like this means nothing to me as a fan. I want to see a Swede who's out of the NHL playoffs to play in the WC's if he's good enough. There's been a gentlemans agreement in place to let players play at the WC's given that they are out of the playoffs. And if an NHL won't let them go because their AHL team needs a boost, well then I definitely not want to see more young Swedes go to that team. Simple.
Then Omark shouldn't have signed the contract he was given...plain and simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Someone in here wrote something like "he has proven everything at the WC level". Bloody hell, the World Championships is not a developmental friendly tournament, it's taken seriously this side of the pond. And if you can't respect that maybe you're in the wrong thread.

Another reason why I would prefer young Swedes to avoid Edmonton is their questionable track record when it comes to player development. Once highly touted youngsters like Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are looking very ordinary at this point. Eberle and Hall had good rookie seasons and Pääjärvi did well at the end of the season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they their careers pan out.
how is that Cogliano and Gagner look normal yet Eberle, Hall and Paajarvi look good? maybe some of the blame has to come on the player

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:25 AM
  #93
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Then Omark shouldn't have signed the contract he was given...plain and simple
So, what should he have done? He wants to play in NHL.

You're not getting it, from a european fan point of view AHL is meaningless competition and surely we are not happy about Oilers decision to not let Omark play at WC. What's so hard to understand?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:28 AM
  #94
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,646
vCash: 500
AHL has no meaning for Omark, he's a NHL caliber player and shouldnt have to play in a farm leauge. For us in Sweden the worlds is much more important than some leauge in NA that even the americans themself doesnt care about, so why should we. Omark should have been allowed to play for his home country.

But no point in getting angry I suppose. I hope he do well in the AHL playoffs then.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:30 AM
  #95
B Boarding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
The Swedish Hockey Association just announced that Gunnarsson, Berglund, Backlund, Pääjärvi and Tedenby will play the WC.

Source: www.swehockey.se

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:43 AM
  #96
MrJonas
Registered User
 
MrJonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Fingers crossed for Enström.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:04 AM
  #97
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
So, what should he have done? He wants to play in NHL.

You're not getting it, from a european fan point of view AHL is meaningless competition and surely we are not happy about Oilers decision to not let Omark play at WC. What's so hard to understand?
You're not getting it, he signed on not only with the Edmonton Oilers. Who dont care what swedish fans think. He is signed with the Oilers Organization (including the Barons and the Stockton Thunder).
Sometimes when your at a new to a gig, you need to pay your dues and put the company infront of yourself. This is an extremely important time for not only the Barons, but the Oilers organization. They need to provide a quality AHL product, as they haven't done it in years. They need to develop not only their players, but they're player development system. A winning AHL program will go along way.
I love Omarks honestly on and off the ice, he does what he does and says what he feels. The game needs more players like that. So I appreciate that he'll open up to reporters and tell them he would rather play for his country (who wouldnt). I sure he realizes that the Oilers arent keeping him in Oklahoma out of spite, he's going to be front and center in helping to build something significant.


Playoffs are just around the corner, Omark could be WC bound before long.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:38 AM
  #98
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
You're not getting it, he signed on not only with the Edmonton Oilers. Who dont care what swedish fans think. He is signed with the Oilers Organization (including the Barons and the Stockton Thunder).
Sometimes when your at a new to a gig, you need to pay your dues and put the company infront of yourself. This is an extremely important time for not only the Barons, but the Oilers organization. They need to provide a quality AHL product, as they haven't done it in years. They need to develop not only their players, but they're player development system. A winning AHL program will go along way.
I love Omarks honestly on and off the ice, he does what he does and says what he feels. The game needs more players like that. So I appreciate that he'll open up to reporters and tell them he would rather play for his country (who wouldnt). I sure he realizes that the Oilers arent keeping him in Oklahoma out of spite, he's going to be front and center in helping to build something significant.


Playoffs are just around the corner, Omark could be WC bound before long.
Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:06 AM
  #99
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.
Fair enough. I really dont expect European fans to care about the AHL, I could care less what happens in the allsvenskan outside of certain prospects.

I'm just saying that it would be mutually beneficial for Omark to help the organization as a whole be better. A winning program in the AHL will be benefit other players on the team who aren't on the level Omark is, which may lead to them being better NHL teammates with Linus in the future. Just something that he's probably considered.

OKC would have to make it pretty far into the playoffs to cross over with the Worlds. So here's hoping the Barons make it just far enough for him to do both.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
  #100
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,564
vCash: 500
Please get Eriksson and Enstrom now.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.