HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

Old
04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Jim Morrison

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Please get Eriksson and Enstrom now.
And Steen.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
And Steen.
True dat. Blues' beat writer Andy Strickland reported that both had been given invitations, hopefully he hasn't declined since Berglund already said yes.

Not surprised to see Tedenby, Backlund, Paajarvi and Berglund, four players very familiar with Mårts going.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Good to see the young guns going. BÅG would have rather brought Emvall out of retirement for sure.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
Fingers crossed for Enström.
looks like Enstrom turned them down due to his shoulder injury.

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
joe89

Yep. Sounds right. http://www.hockeykanalen.se/1.209374...till_hockey_vm

Says only players left available before the 1st playoff round are the Dallas players. Quotes from Mårts.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Maan, I don't care about AHL. 99% of swedish people who follow hockey don't care about AHL. Heck, 99% of european people who follow hockey don't care about AHL.

Oilers can do what they want about Omark, since he signed the 2-way contract. I know that, I'm not dumb, and Pentothal is not dumb aswell. However what can I do with my reaction? I also think it's wrong to keep him in AHL instead of going to WC. And yes I'm a bit unhappy about that. Yes I'm a bit dissapointed in Oilers organization. I think everything is quite clear.

P.S. I don't have anything against your team, and I hope that AHL playoffs will help him to become a better player, but as a fan that values international competition I'm dissapointed that it's normal for an NHL organization to send Omark to secondary competition and not let him play for his country that put so much effort in his development.
You may think it's wrong, but you aren't the one paying his salary. Does your boss give you free vacation just because there's something else you'd rather be doing?

For what it's worth I like Omark and I think he'll be a permanent NHL player starting next year, so this won't be an issue any more.

AUAIOMRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Anything out there on Josefson?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Leafed

Who will be the goalies?

Any chance for Gustavsson?

Leafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Anything out there on Josefson?
From Svenska Ishockeyförbundets homepage:

NHL-spelare till VM
NHL-spelare ansluter till Tre Kronor i VM.

Följande spelare kommer att spela med Tre Kronor i VM:

Back
Carl Gunnarsson, Toronto Maple Leafs

Forwards
Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames
Patrik Berglund, St. Louis Blues
Magnus Pääjärvi, Edmonton Oilers
Mattias Tedenby, New Jersey Devils

VM-information här

Skadade spelare som inte kan delta i VM:
Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators
Tobias Enström, Atlanta Trashers
Kristian Huselius, Columbus Blue Jackets
Jacob Markström, Florida Panthers
Alexander Steen, St. Louis Blues

Spelare som av familjeskäl inte kan delta i VM:
Johan Hedberg, New Jersey Devils
Anton Strålman, Columbus Blue Jackets
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey Devils

Fler från Nordamerika som inte spelar i VM:
Nicklas Bergfors, Florida Panthers
Fabian Brunnström, Texas Stars, AHL, Toronto Marlies, AHL
Jonas Gustavsson, Toronto Maple Leafs
Jacob Josefson, New Jersey Devils
Henrik Karlsson, Calgary Flames
Robin Lehner, Ottawa Senators
Fredrik Modin, Calgary Flames
Johnny Oduya, Atlanta Trashers
Fredrik Pettersson, Chicago Wolves, AHL
Samuel Påhlsson, Columbus Blue Jackets
Fredrik Sjöström, Toronto Maple Leafs
Gustaf Wesslau, Springfield Falcons, AHL
Alexander Urbom, Albany Devils, AHL

Nothing about Erik Karlsson, but he is still injured? Pretty dissapointing list, big props to the guys that have decided to show up

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
joe89

"Fler från Nordamerika som inte spelar i VM:" Read: Players Mårts didn't want. Backlund and Josefsson were imo battling for the same spot.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Garl

Hope Steen reconsiders, and strange that Marts doesn't want Oduya at WC.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
SChan*

Wow thats a lot of no thanks. Whats with the swedish pride these days? If russia can get their stars why cant we?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
SChan*

also sucks that we have a player in omark who really wants to play for his country but cannot.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Jim Morrison

Screw you Alex Steen. "Injured"

Old
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
You may think it's wrong, but you aren't the one paying his salary. Does your boss give you free vacation just because there's something else you'd rather be doing?

For what it's worth I like Omark and I think he'll be a permanent NHL player starting next year, so this won't be an issue any more.
Playing hard-ball with it's players doesn't help an organisation build good relationships (or look attractive to prospective players for that matter, something Edmonton already has a problem with). Omark is a bit of a tricky, sensitive character and Edmonton doesn't seem to have a clue how to deal with this kind of situation IMO.

Is it really so hard to throw a bone to the nations that feed your teams with players, as is the norm? This is the one time of the year that casual Swedish fans gets to watch Swedish NHL players unless it's an Olympic year. Especially Edmonton players since only the mad few (hfboards posters and a handful of others) will even consider watching a game at 04:30 AM. It's not helping the game's chances of competing with soccer over here when our profile players are withheld from participating in the only watchable international games of the year. We get to see the average but loved soccer team a couple of times every few months at least.

Why did Pääjärvi get to go to the WC's but not Omark? Shouldn't you be sending him to the AHL play-offs too, what with the salary payments and all that. And why are you sending Canadians to the WJCs? Hockey Canada don't pay their salaries. When they aren't playing for Edmonton they could be cleaning the arena toilets just as well. Maybe help Katz jr work on his slapshot? Best get value for all those expensive contracts!

Honestly, I don't hate the Oilers or anything but I loathe this development where international hockey is systematically marginalised by the NHL. In a world without international hockey I would loose interest in the NHL completely.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Other Little Mikey

I don't mind Swedish fans being disappointed they can't watch Omark in the world championships and of course I don't expect you to care about the AHL.

What annoyed me was the implication that the Edmonton Oilers were doing something different from any other NHL team or deliberately trying to mistreat Swedish players.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
I don't mind Swedish fans being disappointed they can't watch Omark in the world championships and of course I don't expect you to care about the AHL.

What annoyed me was the implication that the Edmonton Oilers were doing something different from any other NHL team or deliberately trying to mistreat Swedish players.
To be fair, I don't remember a lot of NHL teams blocking players from going to the WC's so they could play on their farm team instead. When a player doesn't go to the WC's it's usually injury or family reasons that are cited. Either that or their team is still in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Screw you Alex Steen. "Injured"
Is this just some bad sarcasm I've missed? He suffered a high ankle sprain in early March that was supposed to be season ending. He came back in less than a month and the injury was obviously still bothering him, as he was seen favoring his ankle quite a few times. The fact that he even mulled over the invitation shows how badly he wants to play.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyseaika View Post
Wow thats a lot of no thanks. Whats with the swedish pride these days? If russia can get their stars why cant we?
These days? The problem has been the same for the last 10-15 years. There will be less nos than usual, I think.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
To be fair, I don't remember a lot of NHL teams blocking players from going to the WC's so they could play on their farm team instead. When a player doesn't go to the WC's it's usually injury or family reasons that are cited. Either that or their team is still in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
We have never had WC calibre players in the AHL before. And we never scouted the league either for that matter, mostly because there were a handful players there, tops.

I've never seen as many news from the AHL in Swedish media as this season.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
These days? The problem has been the same for the last 10-15 years. There will be less nos than usual, I think.
not true. If you say last 5 years i agree, but not 10-15 years ago. I remember in 1998 when basically every nhl player wanted to play.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Is this just some bad sarcasm I've missed? He suffered a high ankle sprain in early March that was supposed to be season ending. He came back in less than a month and the injury was obviously still bothering him, as he was seen favoring his ankle quite a few times. The fact that he even mulled over the invitation shows how badly he wants to play.
I know he was injured but I also know he came back and played well.

Old
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Tomas W

I wonder how Eriksson thinks. He have had a concussion, but we all know that he would play in the NHL PO without any second thoughts.

We could of course have good use of him!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post

To be fair, they are doing something different. I can't think of many NHL teams that send a player (who's played 51 NHL games that season) to the AHL when his national wants him for the WC.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
To be fair, they are doing something different. I can't think of many NHL teams that send a player (who's played 51 NHL games that season) to the AHL when his national wants him for the WC.
Has happened to the finnish team pretty much every season... At least it feels like it.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote