HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Yannick Weber to the Leafs

Old
03-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
If he were expendable than his value might be a player in a similar situation... transitioning prospect with good potential. Maybe a d for big forward (Caputi maybe if he hadn't been derailed a bit this year).

But he is one of the only Habs blueliners with a contract for 2011/12. So its doubtful that he'll be going anyhwere. He had a good game this afternoon and is a pretty good player; fluid skater and passer, big shot (hasn't scored much, yet though), with good hockey sense; somewhat undersized.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, if Weber had demonstrated some headcaseyness in Montreal, and if the Habs were dumping him off cheap just because they couldn't stand him anymore... then I think the Leafs would trade with the Habs. Even Burke would. Get a player with high skill for a lowered price... it worked before him with Grabovski, and it would likely turn out similarly with Weber, he has the same skill level (different position, different player, same overall calibre).

But there haven't been any problems like that with Weber, so the Habs aren't going to be dumping him off cheap. And *nobody's* going to pay a premium on him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
FanHabtic

Weber fits nicely within the Habs system. He is a very good skater, good puck mover and has a cannon on the point. He and Subban will be manning the PP for the future. No reason to trade Weber, let alone to Toronto. Can't see it at all.

Next season:

Markov-Gorges
Subban - Hammer (resigned)
Spacek - Weber

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Remind me why we need Weber? We are most likely going to target an already developed PMD because lets face it, Habs can't sign both Wiz and Markov nor can the Canucks sign Ehrnhoff for cheap.

There are a lot of options to signing a PMD for a 2 year contract and have Gardiner develop by that time.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Weber fits nicely within the Habs system. He is a very good skater, good puck mover and has a cannon on the point. He and Subban will be manning the PP for the future. No reason to trade Weber, let alone to Toronto. Can't see it at all.

Next season:

Markov-Gorges
Subban - Hammer (resigned)
Spacek - Weber
Or rather this (assuming everyone in the Habs D core is re-signed while letting Wiz walk):

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-Subban (Hammer is a left-handed D-man and Subban a right-handed D-man)
Spacek-Weber
Gill

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Maybe we'll just sign Markov instead
The Leafs would have a better chance to sign Wisniewski than Markov.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Habs won't do it.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Since Weber could be the PMD the Leafs yearn for, how much would the Leafs be ready to part with to get Weber?

It doesn't matter whether Weber is dealt straight-up or packaged. Personally, if the Leafs stand to move up 4-5 spots maybe they would also get the Habs' first for both Boston and Philadelphia's firsts.
The Habs will trade Weber if they can get a young power foward with the same potential or more (because RH d-man > winger on the trade market) and resign James Wisniewski. IMO, hey have a choice between James and Yannick. Wisniewski is a good 2nd pairing offensive d-man. At best, Weber will be a two-way first pairing d-man (45-65 pts), at worst he will be a two-way second pairing d-man (30-45 pts). Toronto doesn't have what the Canadiens need for a fair trade.

Yannick Weber is a nice asset for the Leafs but they can sign a UFA d-man this summer for free. Andrei Markov has no chance to be available... he will be a Habs as long as he wants... and he loves Montréal. Pitkanen, Ehrhoff and Wisniewski will probably be availables.

The Habs lineup next year? :

Max Pacioretty* - Tomas Plekanec - Michael Cammalleri
*** - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Andrei Kostitsyn - Lars Eller - Travis Moen
Benoit Pouliot - David Desharnais - Ryan White

Andrei Markov** - Josh Gorges
Hal Gill - P.K. Subban
Roman Hamrlik - Yannick Weber/James Wisniewski

* I hope he will be back...
** December 2011
*** UFA ?

Last edited by ccgg: 03-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.
ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
+/- is a bit irrelevant when evaluating a very young defensive D-Men.
okay then what else are you looking at.....the whole purpose of aulie is to not let pucks go in your net yet he has NOT done that (nobody can) haha Ill keep Weber anyday of Aulie. You can keep Aulie if you feel its right, but then again what have you done right in the past, idk, 6 years....

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:58 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duthie View Post
The Leafs won't trade with Montreal, it's that simple... Division Rivals, Province Rivals.. When's the last time we traded with them? 3 years ago for Grabovski and the Habs didn't even know he was good.. Plus I rather see those picks.. Would I like the Leafs to move up? Sure of course but at what price? unless I see a pick that is 5-14 range I rather not make a move..
I guarantee you ALL next year Grabo will not be as good. Believe if you want or not, but I usually have a sixth sense about these things. Go ahead, tell me I am crazy whatever. I am going to be the one laughing next year when Grabo plays to his potential 40-50 point season. He is over achieving right now.I will bump this up next year for you all.

P.S.: McCarthur fits in the same category.

Old
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
The Thin White Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
I guarantee you ALL next year Grabo will not be as good. Believe if you want or not, but I usually have a sixth sense about these things. Go ahead, tell me I am crazy whatever. I am going to be the one laughing next year when Grabo plays to his potential 40-50 point season. He is over achieving right now.I will bump this up next year for you all.

Is someone just bitter that you gave away Grabo for peanuts and he'd be your leading scorer and tied for 1st in points right now? And he's done it mostly on his own, at times even carrying MacArthur and Kulemin.

The Thin White Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin White Duke View Post
Is someone just bitter that you gave away Grabo for peanuts and he'd be your leading scorer and tied for 1st in points right now? And he's done it mostly on his own, at times even carrying MacArthur and Kulemin.
no actually im not. Im quite happy with our team, when he was here, he was not doing much. This year he is doing great for you, but I just dont think its gonna last. I would like him to keep doing well, so that you guys could be competitive so that our rivalry could be renewed.

We really had no need for him and even now, I don't think we would have a spot for him. Up until this year, he showed no signs of being a legit C. Players dont just come up out of nowhere and turn into 70-80 point guys. You tend to see it coming. Just like Halak. He had done nothing prior to his ridiculous run to make us believe he would go on such a run....

Old
03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
htpwn

Quote:
okay then what else are you looking at.....the whole purpose of aulie is to not let pucks go in your net yet he has NOT done that (nobody can) haha Ill keep Weber anyday of Aulie. You can keep Aulie if you feel its right, but then again what have you done right in the past, idk, 6 years....
It's kind of amusing to watch some guy attempt to lecture Leafs fans on a player that he has obviously not seen play. To add to that, it is also quite hilarious that one can write off a 21-year-old, 6'5" defenseman who can skate, by looking at a stat sheet of his first 15 games of his NHL career.

Quote:

So... let me get this straight... Grabovski won't be able to get more then 50 points next season because you "have a sixth sense about these things"... alrightly then...

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
a 1st if it's too the leafs

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
...so which one is it?

i like aulie a lot who's shown himself that he can play physical with the vets. i'd rather not trade it for a "potential" in weber. we have enough "potential" pmds in the marlies who aren't midgets. we need an established pmd

btw, we don't need weber. but the habs do need someone like aulie who can actually win a fight
He said we knew he was good, as in Habs fans knew he was an NHL player.

No one knew he would be a potential 30-30, ~50+ pts center.

I don't see where he was wrong with that assumption.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Pepin le bref

Montreal knew Grabovski had talent, the problem with him back then was his attitude. He didn't get along with the coaching staff and did a few stupid things along the way.

As good as Grabovski has been for the Leafs, nobody misses him in Montreal. He would not make this team better. Grabovski is what he is: a top-6 player on a non-playoff team.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:47 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
...so which one is it?

i like aulie a lot who's shown himself that he can play physical with the vets. i'd rather not trade it for a "potential" in weber. we have enough "potential" pmds in the marlies who aren't midgets. we need an established pmd

btw, we don't need weber. but the habs do need someone like aulie who can actually win a fight
apparently you did not see pouliot one punch krejci....mara can fight, and also white is proving he can fight, wisniewski fights, cammalleri fought, and so can moen...ALL of them have one at least one fight this season.

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It's kind of amusing to watch some guy attempt to lecture Leafs fans on a player that he has obviously not seen play. To add to that, it is also quite hilarious that one can write off a 21-year-old, 6'5" defenseman who can skate, by looking at a stat sheet of his first 15 games of his NHL career.

Quote:
I'm a Leafs fan?!?!?!
Damn...
You guys are lucky that I have not reported your post.

That's one of the worst insults I've ever received.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Why exactly are the Leafs going after Yannick Weber when we have a prospect like Jake Gardiner in our system? It makes little sense to give up 2 firsts nor Aulie for a player we don't need. There's no need to trade for something that there is an abundance of in the upcoming UFA. Leafs have no interest, go troll somewhere else.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

i think Gunnerson is fine back there, a kaberle version 2?

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

and were not trading aulie for weber ty very much

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i think Gunnerson is fine back there, a kaberle version 2?
Don't get ahead of yourself now lol

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Would you trade Tinordi for a Weber type player ?

No, right ? So why would the leafs deal Aulie for Weber ? lawlz.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Would you trade Tinordi for a Weber type player ?

No, right ? So why would the leafs deal Aulie for Weber ? lawlz.
I'd trade Tinordi for Aulie! I'd trade Tinordi for Weber too. I might not trade Aulie for Weber... I'd need to think about the makeup of my team on that one. And seek some second opinions from my scouts about what they think Weber's true upside is. I'd trade Weber for Aulie from the Habs POV, because I think we need an Aulie type more.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
broc

Oh No You Didnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price2Pleks View Post
apparently you did not see pouliot one punch krejci....mara can fight, and also white is proving he can fight, wisniewski fights, cammalleri fought, and so can moen...ALL of them have one at least one fight this season.
Wiz and maybe Mara are alright.

But, did you just include Pouliot, White, and Cammalleri as examples of why Montreal don't need a player with toughness/fighting ability?

Hey, Sidney Crosby got in a fight too...

broc is offline   Reply With Quote