HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Your top 10 playoff performers of all-time

Old
03-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Your top 10 playoff performers of all-time

Rank them from #1-10.

Gretzky
Roy
Richard
Sakic
Beliveau
Messier
Bossy
Howe
Lemieux
Anderson

HM hated keeping him out of the top 10: Lafleur, Yzerman

Drop the gloves fellas, let the good times roll

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
seventieslord

Can't really top that.

Maybe Kurri over Anderson?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:08 AM
nik jr

i don't like ranking players from different eras, but it seems strange to me if 9 of 10 are scoring F's, and 6 of 10 are scoring F's from last 30 years. only 2 of those players did not play in the '80s.

imo, forsberg was better in the playoffs than sakic.

i would probably put potvin before bossy.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:15 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Clarke, Trottier, Potvin

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:29 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
Clarke, Trottier, Potvin
Clarke (Bobby, right?) doesn't really have the reputation of being a legendary playoff performer; Bernie Parent and even Rick MacLeish are often mentioned before him, when there is talk about the key players in the 1974 and 1975 SC finals.

Still, I have to say that in the few games I've seen (1974 SC finals and some others), Clarke has looked terrific.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:31 AM
jkrx

Gretzky
Howe
Richard
Roy
Geoffrion
Beliveau
Bossy
Harvey
Bobby Hull
Pilote

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:31 AM
JaymzB

Gretzky
Richard
Beliveau
Roy
Howe
Bossy
Harvey
Potvin
Geoffrion
Orr

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Eisen

Fedorov deserves at least a HM. I know he was often underwhelming in the regular season but in the playoffs, hardly anyone could stop him.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:51 AM
begbeee

Sure no winner but Claude Lemieux is a (playoff) beast for me. A guy who hardly put togheter a couple of 70+ points seasons was soooo clutch. He really step up his game in the postseason and his resume of 4 SC and one Conn is good proof of his stellar playoff performance.

Last edited by begbeee: 03-12-2011 at 10:54 AM.
begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Gretzky
Roy
Richard
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
Bossy
Dryden
Beliveau
Messier

...shocked to see a few lists without Orr on them.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Tillman40
Bo Knows Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Can't really top that.

I would have to go with Anderson over Kurri come playoff time

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Sure no winner but Claude Lemieux is a (playoff) beast for me. A guy who hardly put togheter a couple of 70+ points season was soooo clutch. He really step up his game in the postseason and his resume of 4 SC and one Conn is good proof of his stellar playoff performance.
Agreed Lemieux seemed to take his game to a whole different level in the post season...won cups on 3 different teams and a former Conn Smythe trophy winner

Tillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

imo, forsberg was better in the playoffs than sakic.
Even though Forsberg was such a dominant all-around playoff performer, Sakic was far, far more important to Colorado's 2 Stanley Cup runs than he was. There's obviously no question about 1996, but also don't forget about 2001, when Sakic carried that offense for the final two rounds, after Forsberg's spleen injury, and stuck the dagger in the Devils during Game 7 of the Cup Finals. Plus the 8 playoff OT goals. Forsberg might have been slightly superior in their playoff careers, but Sakic was best when it mattered most.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Infinite Vision*

Gretzky
Howe
Harvey
Lemieux
Orr
Forsberg
Beliveau
Roy
Sakic
Richard

HM: Messier, Fedorov, Lidstrom

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Breakfast of Champs

For an honorable mention as of now I'd say franzen. If you look at this guys pts per game in the season and then compare to the playoffs he's always stepping his game wayy up in the playoffs. He's only got 1 cup though and no con smythe but when its all said and done its not hard to believe he could have a few cups and a con smythe

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Even though Forsberg was such a dominant all-around playoff performer, Sakic was far, far more important to Colorado's 2 Stanley Cup runs than he was. There's obviously no question about 1996, but also don't forget about 2001, when Sakic carried that offense for the final two rounds, after Forsberg's spleen injury, and stuck the dagger in the Devils during Game 7 of the Cup Finals. Plus the 8 playoff OT goals. Forsberg might have been slightly superior in their playoff careers, but Sakic was best when it mattered most.
Agreed on that one, Forsberg was a beast too, but Sakic was just too dominant and put up way to many big numbers to be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Gretzky
Roy
Richard
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
Bossy
Dryden
Beliveau
Messier

...shocked to see a few lists without Orr on them.
Yeah I thought of Orr too, the problem was he's got 1970 and 1972. Not to mention playing pretty good in 1974. That's pretty much it. It's why I almost didn't include Lemieux on the list. He had too many years of being injured/missing the playoffs but his 1991 and 1992 years just put him over the top. Orr falls into the category of not having the body of work compared to the other greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Sure no winner but Claude Lemieux is a (playoff) beast for me. A guy who hardly put togheter a couple of 70+ points seasons was soooo clutch. He really step up his game in the postseason and his resume of 4 SC and one Conn is good proof of his stellar playoff performance.
The only thing is you often didn't know which Claude Lemieux you'd end up getting. 158 playoff points is nice, but he played in 234 games which is a 0.67 PPG. Lemieux was hit or miss.

By the way I love Geoffrion added on some people's lists. I have no problem with him being up there.

Another name I'll drop that I haven't seen yet is Turk Broda. Arguably the best playoff goalie of all-time outside of Roy.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:19 AM
TANK200

Gretzky
Howe
Roy
Richard
Beliveau
Lemieux
Orr
Potvin
Bossy
Lafleur

This is precisely why I consider Gretzky to be the best player of all time, whether on the basis of peak performance or career performance. Every single response so far has Gretzky at the top of the list, and I don't really think that there is any question that that's where he should be. When the games got big, Gretzky was the best.

TANK200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:19 AM
heksagon

Needs more Kurri. Just check his playoff stats.

heksagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Fire Sweeney

Gretzky
Orr
Messier
Hasek
Bourque
Fedorov
Bossy
Sakic
Esposito
Crosby

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Padan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I wouldn't say that Sakic was far, far more important in 2001. Don't forget that the Avs probably never would have got past the second round if it wasn't for Forsberg's tremendous effort against LA Kings (while Sakic was struggling with a shoulder injury). Forsberg lead the playoffs in points at the time that spleen injury stopped him.

But I still agree that Sakic put up more big goals and assists in crucial times than Forsberg did, even if Peter had a higher PPG in the playoffs.

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Play4Miracles*

Hello, my name is Jaromir. I've scored 181 points in only 169 playoff games. 15 of my 77 playoff game goals are game winners, and I scored many of my goals in dramatic fashion.

Check out my sexy girlfriend.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Play4Miracles*

A couple of other very clutch playoff performers are Claude Lemieux, Drury, and Bill Ranford.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:03 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Hello, my name is Jaromir. I've scored 181 points in only 169 playoff games. 15 of my 77 playoff game goals are game winners, and I scored many of my goals in dramatic fashion.

Check out my sexy girlfriend.
Yeah..and if I didnt have a luck being drafted by one of the most stacked team of all-time, I wouldnt see SC final...

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padan View Post
I wouldn't say that Sakic was far, far more important in 2001. Don't forget that the Avs probably never would have got past the second round if it wasn't for Forsberg's tremendous effort against LA Kings (while Sakic was struggling with a shoulder injury). Forsberg lead the playoffs in points at the time that spleen injury stopped him.

But I still agree that Sakic put up more big goals and assists in crucial times than Forsberg did, even if Peter had a higher PPG in the playoffs.
Sakic has 19 gwg in the playoffs. Forsberg had 14. Forsberg also had a larger playmaking edge over Sakic in the playoffs than Sakic had a goal scoring edge. Knowing this I'd bet he has more game winning assists. Overall I bet they produced a rather similar amount of clutch points, whether it be on tying goals or game winning goals. Also Sakic was a -2 in the playoffs overall, and Forsberg was a +54. That's a huge difference during a period of 150-170 games in which they both spent the majority on the same team together. Even if you take away all his minus years it still doesn't add up to Forsberg's on a per game basis.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Can't really top that.

I'd HM or maybe add Gilmour, add Plante, take off Anderson. Let's see as I actually make my list.....

1) Gretzky
2) Roy
3) Richard
4) Beliveau
5) Messier
6) Mario
7) Plante
8) Harvey
9) Bossy
10) Gilmour

Went heavy with members of dynasties. Picked Plante over Dryden as a second goalie. Hard to narrow it down. Bossy could be Trottier or Potvin. Gilmour was an amazing playoff player. Not just in 1993 but all the time on both ends of the rink. He was a Killer in the playoffs for sure.

The only thing I am certain of is that Gretzky is #1.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
what about Guy Lafleur?

Parent?

Pronger?

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote