HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the top five goalies in modern franchise history

Old
03-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Big Body Presence

vCash: 500
Rank the top five goalies in modern franchise history

I am interested to see who are the best buried in this goaltending graveyard...

1. Lalime
2. Tugnutt
3. Emery
4. Rhodes
5. Hasek? Elliott? Volchenkov?

Big Body Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Clamshells

reserve #1 for anderson

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Tuna99

1. Emery
2. Lalime
3. Tugnutt
4. Peter Sir-dorky-****
5. Rhodes

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Gil Gunderson

This isn't sad at all.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
SteelCitySensFan

Hasek and Elliot should never be mentioned in the same breath. I know we've had bad luck with goalies, but Elliot shouldn't be anywhere on this.

SteelCitySensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Hasek's easily number 1. If only Muckler had kept him from going to the Olympics. Not to mention the lockout; the lockout lost us a year off our sick team, and it also meant we had a slightly older Dominator. I know he flaked out, but the team had some mad swagger with him between the pipes.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:09 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Based on what they did for Ottawa:
1. Lalime
2. Emery
3. Tugnutt
4. Rhodes
5. Hasek

HM: Gerber, Elliott

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Hasek's easily number 1. If only Muckler had kept him from going to the Olympics. Not to mention the lockout; the lockout lost us a year off our sick team, and it also meant we had a slightly older Dominator. I know he flaked out, but the team had some mad swagger with him between the pipes.
Hasek isn't easily #1. Not really close, actually. He played for the team for one season and was injured before he could make an impact in the playoffs.

Lalime and Emery are more worthy of #1.

On an aside, does getting us Anderson move Elliott up on anyone's lists?

Old
03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Definately the Dominator we got I think was only a little weaker than he was in Buffalo. I think he was better than he was ever in Detroit in Ottawa. That 05/06 team would leave Hasek with huge breakaways to defend all the time. Hasek was soooooo good.

He is so much better than any other Sens goalie ever.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I guess I'm interpreting this ranking less on talent and more on impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Definately the Dominator we got I think was only a little weaker than he was in Buffalo. I think he was better than he was ever in Detroit in Ottawa. That 05/06 team would leave Hasek with huge breakaways to defend all the time. Hasek was soooooo good.

He is so much better than any other Sens goalie ever.
I don't think Hasek had that great of an impact on the team. He could have, had he been healthy down the stretch for the playoffs.

Old
03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Alfredsson11

Mike Morrison?

Prusek?

Barrasso?

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I guess I'm interpreting this ranking less on talent and more on impact. I don't think Hasek had that great of an impact on the team. He could have, had he been healthy down the stretch for the playoffs.
He had a HUGE impact on that team. That team had no weakness with Hasek in nets. Emery exposed the weakness we had in that the team took too many chances. We got exposed hard vs Buffalo in the playoffs because the team never figured out how to fix that weakness. If we had Hasek in that series we would have won easily.

I remember that ridiculous game where it went back and forth. Ended up 6-5 or something. Hasek would have stoned probably everyone of those breakaways we gave up.

If we are looking at longer term impact:

Lalime - Had his moments. He is blamed for playoff failures that were far more the teams than his
Tugnutt - Best "back-up" 1b we ever had.
Rhodes
Emery one good playoff, then helped tear apart team
Hasek

Old
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Lexicon Devil

1. Hasek
2. Emery
3. Lalime
4. Tugnutt
5. Anderson

... and I realize Anderson has only played nine games, that's how sad the list is.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
He had a HUGE impact on that team. That team had no weakness with Hasek in nets. Emery exposed the weakness we had in that the team took too many chances. We got exposed hard vs Buffalo in the playoffs because the team never figured out how to fix that weakness. If we had Hasek in that series we would have won easily.

I remember that ridiculous game where it went back and forth. Ended up 6-5 or something. Hasek would have stoned probably everyone of those breakaways we gave up.

Lalime - Had his moments. He is blamed for playoff failures that were far more the teams than his
Rhodes
Hasek
Hasek himself said in a post game interview aorun January he didn't think the team was mature enough to win the Cup and they didn't play a system that respected the opponent like Detroit. How right he was.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:21 PM
trentmccleary

1. Lalime
2. Emery
3. Rhodes
4. Tugnutt
5. Hasek

Basically, the same as CanadianHockey's and for the same reasons, except that I switched Rhodes and Tugnutt.

In general, Rhodes played more and better than Tugnutt... however, his 4 year stretch started earlier and involved much worse line ups in front of him. Tugnutt had the best season between the two, but Rhodes had the 2nd/3rd/4th and won the first and only playoff series won by the team when they were here.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:29 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

Rhodes
Hasek
If you really want to dissect it, Ottawa went 17-7-4 without Hasek to close the season, with a lot of those wins continuing to be blowouts. The team went cold in April as a whole. Anyway, my list reflects that, as talented as Hasek was, he played less than 45 games, and none of them were playoff games. That's why I think he didn't have as great an impact as he could have.

Old
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

1)Hasek

2)Doesn't matter

Here's hoping Anderson and Lehner can turn out to be 1 and 2 respectively who's number 1 depends on them.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
trentmccleary

Hmmm, going back through our history:

- 7 goalies goalies have won a playoff game with Ottawa.
- only 3 have won a series..... (the other 4 goalies combined for 7 wins).

Quote:
If you really want to dissect it, Ottawa went 17-7-4 without Hasek to close the season, with a lot of those wins continuing to be blowouts. The team went cold in April as a whole. Anyway, my list reflects that, as talented as Hasek was, he played less than 45 games, and none of them were playoff games. That's why I think he didn't have as great an impact as he could have.
Also.... Meszaros and Pothier played a heck of a lot during many of those games as our top-4 D-men got decimated down the stretch.

Old
03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
The team was stacked but not ready for real playoff hockey vs a good team because they did not respect opponents as was stated above. With Hasek they could have got away with it, without him they were screwed.

Emery was very good that season, and he should not be blamed for the playoff loss. But Hasek in 05/06 was magnitudes better than Emery in 05/06 or 06/07. Hasek was still playing near the peak he was at in Buffalo despite his age. He was possibly the best goalie in the NHL the first half of the season, despite Ottawa's lower shot totals they were giving up breakaways like there was no tomorrow. They were running and gunning like crazy. Hasek was astounding.

They TRIED to change once Emery was going to be the starter. It was not very effecitve. They lost some of their offence and their confidence (in Hasek) and swagger. It was so obvious they did not trust Emery. Despite this Emery played rather well for a rookie or for any goalie but Hasek he was not nor will he ever be.

It is like Ryan Shannon replacing Alfredsson. Shannon might have good games but he is not going to ever be Alfie.

Old
03-12-2011, 08:49 PM
MatthewT

1. Lalime
2. Emery
3. Hasek
4. Tugnutt
5. Rhodes

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
EastCoastSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
1. Lalime
2. Emery
3. Hasek
4. Tugnutt
5. Rhodes
Have to agree with this list.

Its took bad Lalime couldnt have stopped joe in that game 7 or at least not look like a 5 year old playing goal for the first time. If we would have won that game who knows what would have happened. Ohh well we didnt and Lalime never recovered.

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

1. Hasek - HOF
2. Barasso - HOF
3. Anderson - has played solid since his arrival, hasn't allowed any backbreaking goals
4. Emery - took us to the cup final
5. Lalime - if it wasn't for the meltdowns he should have won us a cup

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
1. Hasek - HOF
2. Barasso - HOF
3. Anderson - has played solid since his arrival, hasn't allowed any backbreaking goals
4. Emery - took us to the cup final
5. Lalime - if it wasn't for the meltdowns he should have won us a cup
I think your basing this on their whole careers (atleast I hope)

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:37 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I think your basing this on their whole careers (atleast I hope)
Yes ... Rank the top five goalies in modern franchise history. IMO they are the best goalies who have ever played for Ottawa.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Yes ... Rank the top five goalies in modern franchise history. IMO they are the best goalies who have ever played for Ottawa.
How much impact did either of Hasek or Barrasso have on this franchise? ... Or were their stays as trivial as Demitra, Straka, Stillman, etc?