HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Hey, LF13 gave this idea, so kudos to him. If you have questions about your lineup and don't want it to get swept up in the arguments happening in the draft thread, post them here!

That being said, what does everyone think about the puck winning abilities of Denneny - Keats? Please read my bios first before you comment!

Last edited by jarek: 02-23-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Hey, LF13 gave this idea, so kudos to him. If you have questions about your lineup and don't want it to get swept up in the arguments happening in the draft thread, post them here!

That being said, what does everyone think about the puck winning abilities of Denneny - Keats? Please read my bios first before you comment!
I dont see you having any problems, it looks like a cycling line, so keep that in mind with your rw...

02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I dont see you having any problems, it looks like a cycling line, so keep that in mind with your rw...
That's exactly what I was going for actually! A power line that keeps the game along the boards if necessary, but can also burn you with skill. I think between them Denneny and Keats have plenty of skill to burn with combination plays while also being rough and tumble enough to own the boards. I was just hoping others saw it the same way.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:23 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I got Lidstrom-Konstantinov as my first pairing , and then Gary Suter as my number 3.

I'm wondering what kind of number 4 I should draft between a passive/shut-down or physical/shut-down or just another offensive minded D to put with him.

Consider I have a couple of holes to fill before my number 4

Old
02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I got Lidstrom-Konstantinov as my first pairing , and then Gary Suter as my number 3.

I'm wondering what kind of number 4 I should draft between a passive/shut-down or physical/shut-down or just another offensive minded D to put with him.
I'd probabably say as long as the guy is more shut-down oriented (though he can still be decent offensively), it doesn't matter too much between passive and phsical. Both have an equal amount of pros and cons, IMO.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
I'd probabably say as long as the guy is more shut-down oriented (though he can still be decent offensively), it doesn't matter too much between passive and phsical. Both have an equal amount of pros and cons, IMO.
I had wishful thinking looking at last year's list that Derian Hatcher would be available at 319th , lol at me.Even if I had other holes I would have picked him right away to make my top 4:

Lidstrom-Konstantinov
Suter-Hatcher

Old
02-21-2011, 10:32 PM
jarek

I basically agree with LF13.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:40 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

What about we discuss the fact we could put some center/right winger at left wing?

Wingers like Jagr or Lafleur are definately natural at their wing in the purest sense , but some wingers/centers might be more comfortable filling the LW hole.Suppse there's truly no great LW left and there's 2 great center left , do you really think the LW will be better than the great center if you put him at LW?

Old
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
What about we discuss the fact we could put some center/right winger at left wing?

Wingers like Jagr or Lafleur are definately natural at their wing in the purest sense , but some wingers/centers might be more comfortable filling the LW hole.Suppse there's truly no great LW left and there's 2 great center left , do you really think the LW will be better than the great center if you put him at LW?
A centre can convert to wing without TOO much difficult sometimes, but obviously it's much better if you keep a guy in the position he most excelled in. Whether or not a conversted centre will do better than a LW is up to your discretion, but be it will be held against that converted player to at least some extent, unless you can provide some proof of multi-positional versatility.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Do we really need a new thread for this? In the past, we've always discussed lineup options in the draft thread.

Can't hurt I guess.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
jarek

I asked twice what people thought of the puck winning on my first line, and nobody replied, and it just got lost in the draft talk.

Nobody should really have a problem with this thread, because at least it'll filter that talk out of the draft thread and keep the draft thread on the subject of the draft itself.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

It's the nature of hockey for a center to have the puck more often, all other things being considered equal. So a player who usually played center might be able to play the wing, but I would assume he'd be at least a bit less effective there.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
jarek

There have also been cases in the past of a player not having a clue what to do in a new position as well.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
overpass

If you want players to switch positions, it helps if they are smart hockey players.

One centre that's played for the Ottawa Senators for the past few years has an offensive skillset that's more suited to the wing than centre. (Little offensive vision or creativity, great speed and shot). There have been a few times when they've tried to move him to the wing. It never worked. He's more an instinctive player than a thinking player, so he's not comfortable on the wing and doesn't know what to do off the puck.

But guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg slide back and forth with no problem. It helps that they are very smart players.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Thoughts on what to do with my top 4? I've got Langway, Howell, and Gonchar so far. I'm thinking:

Langway-xxx
Howell-Gonchar

xxx would be a guy similar to Langway with a little bit more offensive upside. First pairing obviously acts as a shutdown pairing, the 2nd pairing more of a traditional pairing.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Thoughts on what to do with my top 4? I've got Langway, Howell, and Gonchar so far. I'm thinking:

Langway-xxx
Howell-Gonchar

xxx would be a guy similar to Langway with a little bit more offensive upside. First pairing obviously acts as a shutdown pairing, the 2nd pairing more of a traditional pairing.
How many good 2-way dman deserving of 1st pairing ice time in ATD context are still undrafted?

It's a tough one

Old
02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
How many good 2-way dman deserving of 1st pairing ice time in ATD context are still undrafted?

It's a tough one
I'm not expecting to get a guy that's a legit #2 in the ATD, a guy that would be more suited for #3 duty but since he's with Langway in a shutdown capacity would be able to function. I don't expect a perfect two-way defenseman, a guy that's good in his own zone while not being completely incompetent in the offensive zone like Langway is. Or, I could go with

Langway-Howell
xxx-Gonchar

xxx=stay at home defenseman

Old
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
jkrx

If the center played well on the wings before (Like Sundin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk) then it wont be much of a problem.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
There have also been cases in the past of a player not having a clue what to do in a new position as well.
Like Selanne and Kovalchuk.

Old
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Do we really need a new thread for this? In the past, we've always discussed lineup options in the draft thread.

Can't hurt I guess.
I agree, I think I will merge this back into the draft thread.

Old
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Given how active the main thread has been, I think having more spinoff threads is wise.

Old
02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yeah, given we're on pace for about 15 draft threads, I'd say we keep this one seperate.

Old
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Most people seem to want this to stay as is.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Count me in in the ''keep this thread alive'' clan

Old
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I think we should keep it. Draft threads are piling up so much, keeping as much as possible out of them can only help. This thread has the duel benefit of a) keeping the draft thread under control, and b) letting people who want to discuss this not have their posts drowned.

Closed Thread