HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Draft Thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

but on the other hand, jkrx is making a pretty good case for him. Why do so many people say he was a bad GM?

yep. And that pick is Jerry Korab, D.
Is it just a coincidence that Korab gets picked when speaking of Bowmans tenure as Sabres GM? Haha

Old
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
The McGuire’s Monsters select Arkady Chernyshev, coach.
You stole my coach! Nice pick, perhaps it was a little obvious I was going with him and I have two picks soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
kenora selects:

percy lesueur (g)

...i'll post more later, just extremely busy right now
Was very much looking at him for my #1 spot. Nice one.

Quote:
yep. And that pick is Jerry Korab, D.
I missed on my coach (who was my next selection) and a potential #1G, but I'm very happy to select Jarry Korab, who continue the trend of soft defenceman on my team alongside Doug Harvey, Fern Flaman, Zdeno Chara and Bert Corbeau (bunch of sissys!)

I'm not sure just how good was Korab defensively, probably not a rock in his own zone, but he will play 3rd line ES minute and 2nd PP. Another very intimidating player on my team defence nicknamed 'King Kong', he will bring toughness and some offense from the defence.

Time to research for my next pick then!

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 03-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Is it just a coincidence that Korab gets picked when speaking of Bowmans tenure as Sabres GM? Haha
imo he was due to get picked , Korab is better than a bunch of already drafted D imo.
Really like his style.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
You stole my coach! Nice pick, perhaps it was a little obvious I was going with him and I have two picks soon.
We wanted him as well

Old
03-14-2011, 03:26 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
imo he was due to get picked , Korab is better than a bunch of already drafted D imo.
Really like his style.
It was more of an attempt as a joke or sarcasm. Maybe a poor attempt.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hedberg , will you be around when it's your turn?
Just trying to figure out when I need to be there I pick after Cognition's double pick.
You can always leave a list.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He's awesome at getting laid out by Robinson.

Good pick.
Ok I'll bite:

Great pick with Dornhoefer, he was on my list.

Old
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

**** me Daniel Sedin got picked??

Some of you may find it hard to believe but the only winger with more assists than D.Sedin since 2005 is Martin St.Louis.

Old
03-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Nighthawks

Nighthawks select Hamby Shore, Rover.

Old
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post

Some of you may find it hard to believe but the only winger with more assists than D.Sedin since 2005 is Martin St.Louis.
I think Daniel is pretty much just as good as Henrik. So it surprised me how much earlier than Henrik Daniel got taken. With them being equally as good, you'd expect the winger to be more "in demand".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks View Post
Nighthawks select Hamby Shore, Rover.
one of my favourites.

he was at his best as a D-man.

Old
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post

I don't find it hard to believe personally. I do my research

Haha I mean I had to with Henrik.

I really think that if he doesn't get hurt last year we might be talking about a guy on pace this season for two Art Rosses....

Old
03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I think Daniel is pretty much just as good as Henrik. So it surprised me how much earlier than Henrik Daniel got taken. With them being equally as good, you'd expect the winger to be more "in demand".

one of my favourites.

he was at his best as a D-man.
I actually believe Daniel to be the better of the two. Better defensively, better goal scorer, winger. However due to the hardware that Henrik accrued (right or wrong) I think that I can understand the difference in selections.

Old
03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I actually believe Daniel to be the better of the two. Better defensively, better goal scorer, winger.
I thought Henrik had the reputation as the better defensive twin; Daniel is the more versatile scorer.

Quote:
However due to the hardware that Henrik accrued (right or wrong) I think that I can understand the difference in selections.
Didn't you pick both of them?

Old
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I thought Henrik had the reputation as the better defensive twin; Daniel is the more versatile scorer.

Didn't you pick both of them?
I worded that wrong. That's the reason why I thought I needed to have the difference in selections. (FIRST DRAFT ALERT!!!)

I've always thought of Daniel as the better defender. Selke results are pretty close. Daniel with a small edge.

Old
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
jarek

Quote:
I actually believe Daniel to be the better of the two. Better defensively, better goal scorer, winger. However due to the hardware that Henrik accrued (right or wrong) I think that I can understand the difference in selections.
I don't think Henrik's Hart was undeserved. He proved while Daniel was injured that he could elevate the play of his linemates without him. I think that's what primarily won him the Hart.

What bothered me isn't that Henrik was picked first - it was the ridiculous chasm between the two. Henrik isn't 200+ picks better than Daniel.

Old
03-14-2011, 06:17 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
I don't think Henrik's Hart was undeserved. He proved while Daniel was injured that he could elevate the play of his linemates without him. I think that's what primarily won him the Hart.

What bothered me isn't that Henrik was picked first - it was the ridiculous chasm between the two. Henrik isn't 200+ picks better than Daniel.
I meant the right or wrong in reference to the difference in selections, not in whether or not he desevred it. I've already made my points earlier that I think he deserved it.

Should it be a 200 pick difference? Absoltuely not. But I think there should be some difference just because of that. Henrik carried the team without Daniel. He doesn't win the Hart I don't think if Daniel doesn't get hurt.

But I still do think that Daniel is the better of the two.

Old
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
jarek

So Daniel is a better hockey player, Henrik is a more accomplished hockey player? I don't watch them, so I can probably live with that.

Old
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
vecens24

Quote:
So Daniel is a better hockey player, Henrik is a more accomplished hockey player? I don't watch them, so I can probably live with that.
Yes, wow I probably should have just typed that in the beginning.

Old
03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I wouldn't say there's much difference between the two in terms of defence.

Last edited by Hedberg: 03-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Believe me when I say at both ends of the rink, the edge goes to Henrik. But Daniel is more gifted in the offensive zone, and theres no debate.

Old
03-14-2011, 07:34 PM
monster_bertuzzi

****, he was the playmaking winger I had in mind to play with Morenz and Shutt I thought he would probably be there at 600.

I will have to pull a rabbit out of my hat now.

Old
03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
As a Canucks fan, this is a mostly true statement. They both obviously have raw, dynamic offensive ability. Henrik being the playmaker, Daniel being the goal scorer, but aside from the sustained injury last year, Daniel usually seems to have the very slight edge over Henrik, maybe it's because he's in the shadows because he doesn't score goals at a consistent rate. Henrik got the "C" based on the incredible season he had last year, and his leadership qualities, something I think he has the advantage over Daniel in. Daniel gets the spotlight because he's the game-breaking goal scorer for us.

Henrik is two accolades and a FAST up on Daniel, but still two players who should be much closer together on the draft board.

Old
03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
vancityluongo

It's no mystery why the twins went this far apart...obviously no one was gonna take Daniel without Henrik unless it was absurdly good value, because Hank's proven his play is equal without Daniel, but Daniel hasn't done it without Henrik.

Also, Henrik being the center is the better defensively of the two, better playmaker, has the better intangibles (captain, doesn't lose his temper as often as Danny), and IMO is the better player overall. Daniel of course has the better shot and is possibly more "talented".

However, that's saying absolutely nothing; as this years scoring race is proving, there's probably never been a duo so identical as players in league history.

Old
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Where is the clock at now ?

anybody following this?
EagleBelfour picked at 3:53, which means Rick Middleton and Struminatpr were skipped at 6:53.

Hedberg has 1 hour reduction, so he's got less than an hour to make his pick.

Knighthawk has a pick in there somewhere, but I think it was a skipped pick from before.

I'll PM those GMs to make sure they all know what's going on.

Old
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Tidewater selects coach Tommy Gorman

Legends of Hockey
Quote:
Thomas Patrick Gorman committed his life to improving and enjoying sports, especially hockey. While serving as a player, coach, executive, owner and journalist his enthusiasm knew no bounds.

Gorman became involved in the operation of a hockey club for the first time when his family purchased the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey Association (NHA) during World War I. Ottawa hockey fans owed the Gormans a debt of gratitude for stepping in since the original owners were going to dissolve the team. Losing a franchise at this time would have severely damaged the fortunes of the league as well.

Gorman gradually took over most of the responsibilities with the Ottawa franchise and was one of the founding members of the National Hockey League in 1917. Most significantly, he was the club's manager where he was a strong motivator and astute judge of talent and character. He was personally responsible for Lionel Hitchman, Alex Connell, and King Clancy joining the team. Under Gorman the Senators became the NHL's first dynasty with three Stanley Cups in four years between 1920 and 1923.

Following the last Stanley Cup, Gorman sold his interest in the club to a group of Ottawa entrepreneurs led by Thomas Ahearn. Gorman returned briefly to the league in 1925 when he purchased the Hamilton Tigers and transferred the franchise to New York where they were known as the Americans.

Gorman left the NHL a second time to focus on his love of horseracing but returned as coach of the Chicago Black Hawks in 1932-33 as a mid-season replacement for Emil Iverson. The next year he added the responsibilities of general manager and helped guide the Hawks to their first Stanley Cup championship in 1934. He left the Windy City for Montreal prior to 1934-35 season to serve as coach and general manager of the Maroons where he earned his fifth Stanley Cup title. Never a quitter, Gorman stuck with the Maroons while they struggled through the Depression and eventually folded in 1938.

Gorman returned to Montreal as general manager of the sagging Canadiens in 1940-41. He and coach Dick Irvin Sr. revitalized the club's fortunes and won the Stanley Cup in 1944 and 1946. Gorman stepped down after the second Cup in Montreal to coach amateur hockey and promote other sports. He purchased the senior Ottawa Senators and led them to the Allan Cup in 1949, managed a successful North American tour by figure skater Barbara Ann Scott in 1950 and helped bring the Ottawa Giants Triple A baseball franchise to the Nation's Capital.
NY Times (from seventieslord's past profile):
4/6/1935: Manager Gorman was characteristically enthusiastic today as he reviewd his team's successful performance in the initial encounter with the Leafs. "We made them play the way we wanted them to", explained Gorman. "They waited for us to make the breaks, but we showed them that we were patient. I am being blamed for what most of the fans thought was a dull first period in last night's game, but I cannot see where it was my fault. The Leafs had the opportunity to rush the play if they wanted, but they preferred to have us do it. With our defense as solid as it is I thought it would be poor strategy to go ahead until the real opportunity persented itself, and, in view of what happened, I think I had the right dope." Gorman went on to say that he plans to play the same style of game when the series is resumed tomorrow night.

4/5/1935: In contrast to the steady, close-checking game they staged in the first two sessions, Tommy Gorman's charges swept into the aggressive. They kept the play in Toronto's ice, and gave the Leafs' famed sharpshooters few chances to find their way toward Alex Connell in goal.

seventies' study of coaches from Gorman's era:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=799

Last edited by Hedberg: 03-14-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Closed Thread