HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect of MDZ next year?

Old
03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
TrollololBoyle

vCash: 500
What can we expect of MDZ next year?

(mods: I was unsure if this should go in the CT Whale forum or not, but this isn't about the Whale as much as it is about MDZ so I thought it should go in a separate thread.)

rookie season:
2009-2010: 80 GP 9 G 28 A 37 P -20 162 Hits 92 BkS 4 PPG 18 PPA 81 SOG

sophomore season:
2010-2011: 47 GP 2 G 9 A 11 P -5 92 H 72 BkS 2 PPG 5 PPA 58 SOG

Great rookie season. We all know about his sophomore season, but he has improved his +/- quite a bit, he's was on pace 180-200 hits (at least 20 more than his rookie season), he's blocked 20 less shots in 33 less games as well, so there improvement there.

So I ask all of you: What can we expect of MDZ next year? Where do you think he will be in his development?

I'd be very happy if he at least repeats his rookie season numbers after this season. I also hope he is paired with somebody defensively responsible instead of say a Gilroy or Eminger.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

8 goals, 25 assists, 32 points, 3.54 giveaways per game. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but that's pretty much what he is to me. Not big on Del Zotto, never was, and noone here can convince me otherwise so don't bother. Only Michael Del Zotto can convince me otherwise. I hope he does. In fact, I dare him. Go ahead punk, make my day.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I just want to see his defensive game and decision making improve to be honest. He has been bad of epic proportions this season. Being paired with Gilroy didn't help him out though...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Anything less than 40 points and i'll be disappointed to be honest.

I want him to overcome this slump and return to form and better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
8 goals, 25 assists, 32 points, 3.54 giveaways per game. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but that's pretty much what he is to me. Not big on Del Zotto, never was, and noone here can convince me otherwise so don't bother. Only Michael Del Zotto can convince me otherwise. I hope he does. In fact, I dare him. Go ahead punk, make my day.
Alright Clint Eastwood.

But yeah I hope he hits 40 points next year.

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Hockey2000nyr

He first needs to get his head on straight and get his confidence in his game back. He needs to learn when to use that long pass he loves to use all too often. He needs to learn to adjust to when his long pass isnt working and to try something else. also in my opinion he needs to get better at skating. I think Barb Underhill needs to work with him on his skating as if he was a little faster and more mobile he would take that next step that he hasnt reached yet.

Personally if he does not show significant improvement during training camp, i send him down to hartford to play with what possibly could be a young and talented group down there next season. Let him get significant minutes and responsibility to start the year down there and if he is dominating the game down there bring him up and insert him onto the powerplay and stuff.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
I agree with Hockey2000nyr, and I'm not as optimistic as most. I see a season very similar to this one for DZ next year. He didn't seem to learn anything positive in the last 12 months of playing hockey, and I'm not sure he'll ever 'get it'. Grachev and Del Zotto are prospects who I think will continue losing their luster after this season. Hopefully the Rangers don't let their trade value dwindle before pulling a trigger on them.

Even more hopefully they prove me wrong and both become all-stars.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

a 2nd round pick?

03-12-2011, 02:03 PM
msv957

It's crazy.. Last year MDZ was considered untouchable and now some would be quite ok with him being traded and etc.

It's been 3 years since he was drafted. It takes time. He has the talent to be an NHL player for a long time. I can see him becoming a Brian Campbell type of player.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Levitate

I think we all need a little patience...I like Del Zotto, I think he has good skills and instincts, but he's still young and though it's cliche to say, most defenseman do take awhile to figure it all out. Del Zotto isn't some #1 all star lead the league in scoring defenseman. He should be able to be a solid puck mover who's good on the PP and decent defensively, and put up close to 50 points per season or so. But it might take him several more years to reach that point, and we're going to have to be OK with that.

Look at guys like Bogosian, who has a ton of physical tools and the juniors resume to lead you to believe he can be a great defenseman in this league...he's struggling to even be as effective as Del Zotto was in his rookie year. Hell even as effective as he was this year. Maybe Bogosian is just a bust in terms of being an offensive defenseman (well, and defensively as his +/- is bad enough to make you wonder), but maybe we just expect too much out of every young defenseman when we see a few guys who can make a quick jump and produce awesome NHL stats. Those guys just aren't the norm, however

At any rate, my point is just that we should be looking long term with Del Zotto...I'm hoping by the time he reaches 24 years old or so that he is approaching the type of player I mentioned...not that he has to be that player next year.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think we all need a little patience...I like Del Zotto, I think he has good skills and instincts, but he's still young and though it's cliche to say, most defenseman do take awhile to figure it all out. Del Zotto isn't some #1 all star lead the league in scoring defenseman. He should be able to be a solid puck mover who's good on the PP and decent defensively, and put up close to 50 points per season or so. But it might take him several more years to reach that point, and we're going to have to be OK with that.

Look at guys like Bogosian, who has a ton of physical tools and the juniors resume to lead you to believe he can be a great defenseman in this league...he's struggling to even be as effective as Del Zotto was in his rookie year. Hell even as effective as he was this year. Maybe Bogosian is just a bust in terms of being an offensive defenseman (well, and defensively as his +/- is bad enough to make you wonder), but maybe we just expect too much out of every young defenseman when we see a few guys who can make a quick jump and produce awesome NHL stats. Those guys just aren't the norm, however

At any rate, my point is just that we should be looking long term with Del Zotto...I'm hoping by the time he reaches 24 years old or so that he is approaching the type of player I mentioned...not that he has to be that player next year.
I agree with you, what makes everyone worry about him is how we saw Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, and now McDonagh and Sauer come in and play like they have been here for awhile. When people see that it makes people worry about Del Zotto and question if we actually need him. I personally dont do that as Del Zotto is one of the types of players that we need on the back end. I dont like seeing him struggle and continue to make bad plays, and thats why i was happy that the Rangers sent him down. Let the kid get big minutes in Hartford and learn more. Personally it helps that we have Redden down there because of his knowledge of the game. People can trash Redden all they want, but the dude knows the game even if he cant compete at a high level anymore. at the beginning of this year Del Zotto said that playing with Redden in his rookie year was the best thing for him because Redden was able to teach him some of the finer points of the game. McDonagh praised Redden for that as well.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's also a lot easier to play a one way defensive game than to be a highly productive offensive defenseman who is also defensively responsible.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
I agree with you, what makes everyone worry about him is how we saw Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, and now McDonagh and Sauer come in and play like they have been here for awhile.
Except for Staal, all of those guys were older when they made the team and had more development time than Del Zotto. I think that's something to really keep in mind...they were all prepped better for coming in and playing that way on a consistent basis.

It's a bit of a tough situation...I do think he played well enough as a rookie to have stayed with the team and he deserved to be in the NHL that year, but I don't think it's hugely out of the ordinary that he struggled some this year. I think he got by a lot with his confidence and skill in his rookie year instead of really learning everything he needed to, and that caught up to him this year. Give him some time to really learn the NHL game and I think he'll get back on track.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:29 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Headaches?

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
It's also a lot easier to play a one way defensive game than to be a highly productive offensive defenseman who is also defensively responsible.
Bingo.

I've ellaborated on this before in other MDZ knee jerk threads.

NYR has made a decision that they want him to be a 2 way defencemen otherwise they would have figured out a way to pair him with a pure defencive partner either through breaking up Staal/Girardi or Sauer/McD or via trade/FA.

Unfortunately we dont have powerhouse forwards and rely on our two pairs of defensive defencement to keep us in games this year and after last years debacle, Mgmt probly feels a great need to make the playoffs this year so experimenting with MDZ being paired with one of our top4 is pretty much out of the question outside of practice or scrimage, and well, he isnt here for either anyway do to team need.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
John Torturella

The thing with Del Zotto is that he is touted as a offensive player, PP QB type player. He had a good start last season, but went down hill from there. If he could actually live up to a little bit of his offensive hype, a lot of fans would be more willing to deal with his defensive struggles because he makes up for it offensively.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Sticky Fingers

Problem is that he's not producing, if he was an offensive impact then his poorly defens would be excused, like Erik Karlsson in Ottawa. But since he's not producing he doesn't provide with anything really. It amazes me that Torts has played him over Eminger for such a long period.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Typical sophomore slump this year. It will be nice when he blows it up next year.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Typical sophomore slump this year. It will be nice when he blows it up next year.
Thank God for optimism.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Hard to gauge with MDZ to be honest.

Young defenseman take a while to develop. He has shown that he has great offensive talent - but he started to slump around December. Teams started defending him more closely, and that took away the immediate effectiveness, and he never adjusted. He's going to have to learn how to use his talent with less space and more pressure. I do believe he has the capabilities to do so, but it explains why he has been so bad offensively this year. Also, having another veteran offensive defenseman like a Kaberle would help him a lot, but we don't have the cap space for him AND Richards. He'd be a good backup plan, though.

Defensively, I didn't think he was all that bad. Not as bad as some people have said. Pairing him with Gilroy certainly didn't help. He's definitely improved on that part of game from his rookie year. He's not a constant liability out there. He just makes one glaringly bad play all too often, though. He still does some of the little things nicely, and he greatly improved on his +/-. Adding +15 is nothing to scoff at, despite the near uselessness of the stat.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
(mods: I was unsure if this should go in the CT Whale forum or not, but this isn't about the Whale as much as it is about MDZ so I thought it should go in a separate thread.)

rookie season:
2009-2010: 80 GP 9 G 28 A 37 P -20 162 Hits 92 BkS 4 PPG 18 PPA 81 SOG

sophomore season:
2010-2011: 47 GP 2 G 9 A 11 P -5 92 H 72 BkS 2 PPG 5 PPA 58 SOG

Great rookie season. We all know about his sophomore season, but he has improved his +/- quite a bit, he's was on pace 180-200 hits (at least 20 more than his rookie season), he's blocked 20 less shots in 33 less games as well, so there improvement there.

So I ask all of you: What can we expect of MDZ next year? Where do you think he will be in his development?

I'd be very happy if he at least repeats his rookie season numbers after this season. I also hope he is paired with somebody defensively responsible instead of say a Gilroy or Eminger.
This team simply cannot score on a consistent basis, and Del Zotto is the only person in the organization that can be that creative offensive force from the blue line. Between Staal, Girardi, Sauer, and McDonagh, this team has enough D-man that can take care of their own end. Im glad Del Zotto has upgraded his game in the defensive zone from horrifying to slightly embarassing, but if it comes at such an expense of his offense, you have to question where his development is going.

Im glad he'll be refining his skills in the AHL, he never should've been up in the first place.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:15 PM
polako

I don't care how bad he is defensively, as long as he lives up to his offensive potential/hype, I'll be fine. Let him be the NYR version of MA Bergeron for all I care.

In Brian McCabe's short time here, we've seen a completely different type of threat emerge from the D. It's a confident player on the blueline that you expect to keep pucks in, distribute the puck around, and bomb away when the opportunity presents itself. I'd like to see MDZ play a little more like this, even if it comes at the expense of some defensive play, because really, that's not his game, at least at this point.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Like many have said, I don't expect much defensive improvement but that isn't exactly what his role is. I predict he'll score at least 35 points.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:27 PM
xxxZENxxx

I expect MDZ to be a late-bloomer. Though I expect progress next year... enough so that he is a permanent part of the big club, I don't think it will be significant enough so that Ranger fans will get off his case.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf View Post
Problem is that he's not producing, if he was an offensive impact then his poorly defens would be excused, like Erik Karlsson in Ottawa. But since he's not producing he doesn't provide with anything really. It amazes me that Torts has played him over Eminger for such a long period.
All any one needs to look at is the +- column.

The fact that hes -5 rather than -20 says he has tried to up his defensive game. Problem is, it is at the expense of his offensive game and he has been good enough defensively to warrant the change.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote