HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What can we expect of MDZ next year?

Old
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He'll either make the team and stick there or he'll be beat out and be flipped a little later on, when a need opens up.

Figure if we have Staal as our only "lock" it'll be McDonagh likely, then MDZ, Valentenko, and maybe Pashnin/Niemi fighting for the 3rd LD spot. (Kundratek will make RD, IMO)

03-12-2011, 09:14 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
(mods: I was unsure if this should go in the CT Whale forum or not, but this isn't about the Whale as much as it is about MDZ so I thought it should go in a separate thread.)

rookie season:
2009-2010: 80 GP 9 G 28 A 37 P -20 162 Hits 92 BkS 4 PPG 18 PPA 81 SOG

sophomore season:
2010-2011: 47 GP 2 G 9 A 11 P -5 92 H 72 BkS 2 PPG 5 PPA 58 SOG

Great rookie season. We all know about his sophomore season, but he has improved his +/- quite a bit, he's was on pace 180-200 hits (at least 20 more than his rookie season), he's blocked 20 less shots in 33 less games as well, so there improvement there.

So I ask all of you: What can we expect of MDZ next year? Where do you think he will be in his development?

I'd be very happy if he at least repeats his rookie season numbers after this season. I also hope he is paired with somebody defensively responsible instead of say a Gilroy or Eminger.
I disagree with your premise. Zots had a terrible rookie season, even if he did provide an offensive spark.

I have no clue about his future. Same goes for everyone else. It's all guesswork.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I disagree with your premise. Zots had a terrible rookie season, even if he did provide an offensive spark.

I have no clue about his future. Same goes for everyone else. It's all guesswork.
Going on 2 seasons now, who the heck EVER called him Zots?

Hey. Did you guys see the save Qvist made last night? Jammorella must have lit a spark under his butt after the 1st period. Tricky Ricky never would have made that kind of save even if we had 6 Beukegoon's on the team.

Last edited by x BEUKEBOOM x: 03-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I just hope he can get some of that offensive dynamism back. Even if his D doesn't improve, as long as he can QB our PP, I'll be satisfied.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
darko

I think he'll bounce back next season. MDZ is almost untouchable for me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

MDZ will have a breakout year: 11 goals, 37 assists, 48 points, -15.

In the AHL.

03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Figure if we have Staal as our only "lock" it'll be McDonagh likely, then MDZ, Valentenko, and maybe Pashnin/Niemi fighting for the 3rd LD spot. (Kundratek will make RD, IMO)
I don't think Pashnin comes over, Niemi isn't actually any good, and Valentenko is an interesting situation...I think he lacks a little something, maybe just overall awareness of the play that you see a guy like McDonagh excel at, and will have to overcome that to make the Rangers.

The Rangers do need Del Zotto to get his game back on track, he would help them a lot. And yeah, you can see how an experienced guy like McCabe makes better decisions about moving the puck on the PP even if he's not a regular PP QB. That's what Del Zotto has to settle into doing

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Chimp

I honestly believe he won't be a Ranger, because other D-men in the farm system are better.

He's awfully young though, so it doesn't feel right to completely write him off. He has alot of time left to develop.

Last edited by Chimp: 03-13-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:04 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
In Brian McCabe's short time here, we've seen a completely different type of threat emerge from the D. It's a confident player on the blueline that you expect to keep pucks in, distribute the puck around, and bomb away when the opportunity presents itself. I'd like to see MDZ play a little more like this, even if it comes at the expense of some defensive play, because really, that's not his game, at least at this point.
35 yr old McCabe number of seasons in the NHL=14
20 yr old MDZ number of seasons in the NHL=1

Come on, you expect him to play like a 35 year old veteran all star dman in only his second season? Maybe fan expectations like this is the biggest problem with regards to MDZ.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:36 AM
JayQueensNY88*

What can we expect of MDZ next year?

a better season than this season...sound fair?

the kid is whatever,20/21 yrs old,he is a baby in this league,defenseman develop late...the kid is good and will be good.He will get his confodence back,and be better. Im not putting numbers on a kid so young.He will develop as he develops.I look fwd to him being a Ranger for a very long time.

I just dont get people on this board.

Last edited by JayQueensNY88*: 03-13-2011 at 08:43 AM.
JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:44 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I honestly believe he won't be a Ranger, because other D-men in the farm system are better.

He's awfully young though, so it doesn't feel right to completely write him off. He has alot of time left to develop.
yeah,that cmment makes no sense man.

Old
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Actually it makes perfect sense, by saying both he won't be wrong when one or the other happens.

Old
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm certainly not ready to give up on MDZ. Sending him to Hartford is not a rejection, he will continue to develop and he is going to play in the NHL oine way or another.

03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Actually it makes perfect sense, by saying both he won't be wrong when one or the other happens.
Like i said....it makes no sense TO ME,so thnx for disagreeing to disagrree,but IDC what you think...but once again,thnk you for your input

Old
03-13-2011, 09:05 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
(mods: I was unsure if this should go in the CT Whale forum or not, but this isn't about the Whale as much as it is about MDZ so I thought it should go in a separate thread.)

rookie season:
2009-2010: 80 GP 9 G 28 A 37 P -20 162 Hits 92 BkS 4 PPG 18 PPA 81 SOG

sophomore season:
2010-2011: 47 GP 2 G 9 A 11 P -5 92 H 72 BkS 2 PPG 5 PPA 58 SOG

Great rookie season. We all know about his sophomore season, but he has improved his +/- quite a bit, he's was on pace 180-200 hits (at least 20 more than his rookie season), he's blocked 20 less shots in 33 less games as well, so there improvement there.

So I ask all of you: What can we expect of MDZ next year? Where do you think he will be in his development?

I'd be very happy if he at least repeats his rookie season numbers after this season. I also hope he is paired with somebody defensively responsible instead of say a Gilroy or Eminger.
I dont think Del Zotto was "great" last season. I think he was very good in the 1st half and was a liability in the 2nd. Also, a lot of his points were helped by Gaborik (I think 15 of his points involved Gaborik in the scoring)

Has he reached his ceiling? Absolutely not. The kid is still filling out and learning the game.

People need to be patient. I have said all along that Del Zotto set the bar really high with his camps and rookie season. But our fans are asking a lot out of a 20-year old lower 1st round pick who most certainly earned his way on the team. I guarantee you if Del Zotto stayed in the OHL and had 70 points this season, the very fans who bash him would call him Leetch's heir apparent.

Speaking of Leetch, let's not forget how bad Brian was in hgis second year in the league. It's called a sophomore slump for a reason. Rookies come into the league and surprise the hell out of opposing teams. The following year, the teams who actually use their scouts quickly determine flaws/weaknesses. On top of that, it's discernible that a 20-year-old kid with lots of money gets a little cocky and complacent, because they think every year will be like the first.

And I use Callahan as an example. Callahan had about as outstanding a Cup of Coffee could be in 2007 and then he was absolutely brutal to watch in 2008. It seemed all the creativity and poise he showed as a rookie during that playoff run was gone after two weeks of the 2007-08 season. The kid got demoted and played much better thereafter.

Del Zotto will anchor the offense for this team for a long time. Gilroy, Mccabe and/or Eminger should look elsewhere for employment next season. I see him being a Zubov type -- 45-50 points a year and quietly becoming solid in his own end.

FWIW, Greg Maddux went 6-14 with a 6.00 ERA his sophomore season.

Just saying.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:09 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Like i said....it makes no sense TO ME,so thnx for disagreeing to disagrree,but IDC what you think...but once again,thnk you for your input
settle down, I think you misunderstood me. I was actually agreeing with you that it was a ridiculous comment because it makes no sense on one hand to say that he will be gone because we have better dmen but then turn around and say we should be patient. but whatever.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

The way Torts talks about him seems more like he's an integral cog in the future of this team. There may be "better" d-men on the team/in the system right now... but none have the offensive upside that MDZ does. He's also shown signs of grit and a mean streak to him... at 20 he's working through some things but once he puts it all together he'll be a super-valuable part of this squad.

Don't get me wrong... it may not happen next season... I don't think he's even begun to put things together yet... and I don't think he's even close to being an option to be traded unless it's an absolute steal of a deal for NYR.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Speaking of Leetch, let's not forget how bad Brian was in hgis second year in the league.
When Leetch was "bad" in his second year, he still put up over 50 points, and at no point in his career did he ever look anywhere as bad defensively as Zots (sorry if the nickname bothers you, too) has at his best.

He may become good, but so far his defense has been a disaster.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Typical sophomore slump this year. It will be nice when he blows it up next year.
This.

A lot of players slump in their second NHL season.

I expect he'll come back next season and be able to put it together.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

MDZ hasn't even come close to scratching the surface of his potential. The biggest void in his game is his decision-making. He has raw talent, size, and some swagger. I don't give a damn if it takes him 3 years in Hartford to figure things out, the patience will be worth it.

He isn't legally old enough to drink a beer, and people are only willing to give him 1 more season?

Some of you guys are really, really, ignant.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
settle down, I think you misunderstood me. I was actually agreeing with you that it was a ridiculous comment because it makes no sense on one hand to say that he will be gone because we have better dmen but then turn around and say we should be patient. but whatever.
When you've finished bickering who was better at axing my post, perhaps you should read the title of the thread and the context of the discussion..

I simply stated that I don't believe MDZ won't be a Ranger NEXT YEAR (which after all is what the whole discussion is about), because I believe other D-men are currently better, but that doesn't mean he might be good enough in 2 years or more, since he's so young. Does it make sense now?

Last edited by Chimp: 03-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
It's crazy.. Last year MDZ was considered untouchable and now some would be quite ok with him being traded and etc.
It's been 3 years since he was drafted. It takes time. He has the talent to be an NHL player for a long time. I can see him becoming a Brian Campbell type of player.
Remember last yr; Girardi was CRUCIFIED, it was brutal. I'm not going to name names (we can find the threads) but people here wanted him GONE! Go check out that Girardi to EDM thread in the Trade Board. Same people who blasted him are now demanding top **** for the guy.

DZ will be fine, and is an important guy for our future D.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:06 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
Remember last yr; Girardi was CRUCIFIED, it was brutal. I'm not going to name names (we can find the threads) but people here wanted him GONE! Go check out that Girardi to EDM thread in the Trade Board. Same people who blasted him are now demanding top **** for the guy.

DZ will be fine, and is an important guy for our future D.
Its not even really comparable. Girardi has at least shown he is a capable defenseman. Maybe some people wanted him gone, but that happens whenever someone struggles. Some people want Lundqvist traded right now.

Del Zotto had a good 30 games last year on the offensive side of things. He has never really played solid defense. Now his offense has gone to hell. He defense was already hell. Unless Del Zotto contributes somewhere between 40-50 points, he is useless to this team. That is why people are so skeptical at this point.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

If a guy is putting up Byfuglien, Yandle, or Visnovsky numbers, I can deal with a suspect defensive game. In my opinion, the 37 points MDZ put up in his rookie year, still aren't worth his horrid defense. He either has to get his offense up near where those 3 guys are, or his defense has to improve dramatically. If he can't do one or the other, he's a liability. It's not Del Zotto's defense that bothers me, it's the fact that his offense isn't worth it at this point (this can change of course). Alot of people bring up Leetch, and how bad he was defensively his first couple of years, but Leetch was putting up unholy offensive numbers. Del Zotto isn't doing half of that.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:12 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If a guy is putting up Byfuglien, Yandle, or Visnovsky numbers, I can deal with a suspect defensive game. In my opinion, the 37 points MDZ put up in his rookie year, still aren't worth his horrid defense. He either has to get his offense up near where those 3 guys are, or his defense has to improve dramatically. If he can't do one or the other, he's a liability. It's not Del Zotto's defense that bothers me, it's the fact that his offense isn't worth it at this point (this can change of course). Alot of people bring up Leetch, and how bad he was defensively his first couple of years, but Leetch was putting up unholy offensive numbers. Del Zotto isn't doing half of that.
Hopefully Sauer, McD, and/or our other defense-oriented prospects become good enough that, if MDZ's defense doesn't improve to 2nd-pairing levels, they can log big minutes. That way, assuming MDZ can grow into an effective PPQB, his even strength minutes can be managed so that he is only playing 10-15 minutes.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote