HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect of MDZ next year?

Old
03-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Hopefully Sauer, McD, and/or our other defense-oriented prospects become good enough that, if MDZ's defense doesn't improve to 2nd-pairing levels, they can log big minutes. That way, assuming MDZ can grow into an effective PPQB, his even strength minutes can be managed so that he is only playing 10-15 minutes.
That'd be just fine with me as long as he spends that time putting up big numbers. I'm not willing to do that for a 35-40 point player. I want 50.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:59 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That'd be just fine with me as long as he spends that time putting up big numbers. I'm not willing to do that for a 35-40 point player. I want 50.
Absolutely. He only has a future with us if he's a dynamo on the PP. Anything beyond that is gravy.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:43 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
If a guy is putting up Byfuglien, Yandle, or Visnovsky numbers, I can deal with a suspect defensive game. In my opinion, the 37 points MDZ put up in his rookie year, still aren't worth his horrid defense.
Again, just like the comparison to McCabe those guys all have years on MDZ.
25 year old Byfuglien has 5 years in the NHL. His first season in the NHL he had 5 pts in 25 games.
24 year old Yandle has 4 years in the NHL. First season he played 7 games and only had 2 pts. Second year he played 43 games and only had 12 pts.
Visnovsky is 34 and has 14 seasons in the NHL. Rookie year was great with 39 pts in 81 games, second year? 21 pts in 72 games.

I know 4-5 years may not sound like a lot, but to an NHL defenseman's development it is a lot, and those guys also weren't rushed to the NHL Yandle especially played a ton in the AHL giving him time to develop his game.

I think people expect too much out of MDZ at such an early age and after being rushed into the NHL.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:51 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I dont think Del Zotto was "great" last season. I think he was very good in the 1st half and was a liability in the 2nd. Also, a lot of his points were helped by Gaborik (I think 15 of his points involved Gaborik in the scoring)
How many of those 15 points Gaborik scored were directly because of MDZ. How many breakaways did Gaborik get because MDZ had some insane pass through the while other team?

MDZ played with instinct last season. His offense was there and it was a treat to watch a rookie Dman take over our offense from the blue-line.

This season, he just started to overthink everything and you could see it. He forced passes that he made without trying last season. He just wasn't seeing the ice the same way - or so it seemed. He is young and we have seen part of his skillset last season. Hopefully gets it together.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm confident he'll rebound, but I'm curious to see how our left-side will play out in the long run with McDonagh playing so well. Granted, if he slumps next year he'll be thrown into every trade proposed by the fantasy GM's on this board, but he's really been excellent thus far. Will the Rangers commit to MDZ playing 3rd pairing minutes at even strength, but running up 3-4 minutes of PP time a night? I have a hard time believing that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Loto68

Quote:
8 goals, 25 assists, 32 points, 3.54 giveaways per game. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but that's pretty much what he is to me. Not big on Del Zotto, never was, and noone here can convince me otherwise so don't bother. Only Michael Del Zotto can convince me otherwise. I hope he does. In fact, I dare him. Go ahead punk, make my day.
I just have this gut feeling that he is at least 2 years away from being an quality NHLer, I think he should spend the full season, baring injuries in the minors.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I disagree with your premise. Zots had a terrible rookie season, even if he did provide an offensive spark.

I have no clue about his future. Same goes for everyone else. It's all guesswork.
Last year, MDZ was responsible for a truckload of Gaborik's scoring chances and many of his goals. His passing was borderline breathe-taking. How can you possibly consider that terrible?

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
The Mouth

I dont know if he will ever be a good player, but it's too early to give up on him. Let him play his way back on the team. if he's got it he will come back.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Dorado*

Since d men take so many years to bare fruit I hope we stop wasting picks in the first round on them . That being said MDZ future seems potential journeyman PMD . Over rated skater with one trick pony stretch pass and inaccurate shot coupled with chicken with out a head D zone coverage . Poor decision maker , stickhandler and a frat boy mentality . Not a huge fan after the Olympics last season . As Gaboriks production tailed off and the league adjusted to his home run pass his warts began to show .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I dont know if he will ever be a good player, but it's too early to give up on him. Let him play his way back on the team. if he's got it he will come back.
Agreed. He'll have every chance to prove to Torts that he belongs here full time.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:03 PM
NYR Viper

I think he comes back and puts up 35 points, 20 on the PP with Richards on the opposite point next season. He will be a 3rd pairing d-man paired with either Sauer or a veteran defenseman who can calm him down.

People saying he will never be a solid NHL defenseman are swaying in the wind and when he comes back will be the people saying he has 60 point potential again.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:16 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Last year, MDZ was responsible for a truckload of Gaborik's scoring chances and many of his goals. His passing was borderline breathe-taking. How can you possibly consider that terrible?
When you are responsible for far more goals against than goals for, I consider you to be a tremendous liability. In the end, the goal is to score more than the opposition.

This has nothing to do with what to do with him going forward. Hopefully, he gets better defensively.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Lennon27NYR

I always want to see the best out of the Ranger youth.. Especially knowing he had a good first rookie season. There is so much more for him to learn and i hope his time down under makes a positive impact on his third season. If he doesnt gain some more confidence and strengthen his mental game, then it will just be another dud. I wish i knew what to expect out of him, but at his age and being in the NY spotlight, it really is still up in the air for me. No doubt he will be given another chance, but with all this great Ranger youth we have, if he cant get his lil arse in gear, then adiós!

Lennon27NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
rambler725

Del Zotto is a keeper...one day it will all click ...his confidence will be back and with more experience he will be one fluid defenseman...we will be glad we kept him..just give him time..he is only 20 years old

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Alright Clint Eastwood.

But yeah I hope he hits 40 points next year.
Lol; could he be any more standoffish it's like he wants to argue with people. I don't think he will find many to disagree with him though> MDZ had about as bad a year as he coulda had. His O needs to pick up again...simple as that. Has some maturity issues too that have hindered his mental development...but he seems like a real good kid/guy and the last time he had a bad year he came back,m worked his a** off and made our team.

He could easily hit 15 G, 50 pts in his career once or twice but it also has a lot to do with the team around him.

I think he'll average 8-12 G 40 pts. per year. Have to admit I don';t feel I can reliably make a prediction for how he';ll average the rest of his career right now

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Wait. Didn't somebody give Del Zotto a nickname that drove everybody nuts last year? I only brought it up because people were genuinely irate over the nickname and I thought the reaction was funny.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote