HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS3 advice

Old
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Classless Goon
Ducimus

vCash: 500
PS3 advice

My 60 GB PS3 that I bought in 2007 just broke, and it's not reading disks anymore.

I phoned Sony and they sent me a box for me to send them my console, they'll either repair it or send me a new one. Since my warranty expired a long time ago, it's gonna cost me about 187$. For either my machine repaired or a refurbished 60GB PS3( I don't even think they manifacture those anymore).

Is it worth it to pay that? Or should I just buy a new 160GB PS3 slim? Thoughts?

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Theres people on Kijiji that offer PS3/Xbox repairs for the fraction of the cost that Sony/Microsoft asks for.. maybe you should take a look there.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
If you have the money, just buy a new one, or look on kijiji, don't pay $187 for them, to repair it.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
playasRus

Totally unhelpful for you but:
I bought a PS3 in 08 from Best Buy with a 3 year warranty. One day, it wouldn't read discs anymore, so i brought it in. They "fixed it" by giving me a refurb, except the refurb was faulty, so i sent it in to get "fixed" again. I got another back, but this time, instead of not reading discs, they gave me one that ate my game disk, wouldn't spit it out, and wouldn't play it or turn on again. Sent it back in, finally got one that worked back from them, after 2 months. Used it for a while, but then noticed it was SUPER noisy. Brough it again for a 4th time and they gave me a new slim .
I gotta say the waranty there is very easy to abuse when they do things like give you refurbs that don't function. (Four "repairs" and they have to give you a replacement)

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
H2O

This happened to me a while back. I paid for the repair b/c the PS3 cost a lot more back then. It's kinda ridiculous that the repair cost isn't lower now that the price is $299. But if it's any consolation, I believe the repaired unit will be protected for a year.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
You're lying. PS3's are flawless.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
utah

I worked for Sony for a long time, and here's my suggestion. First I should say that I did not sell gaming consoles. I worked in the Consumer Electronics division, which included everything but game consoles and phones.

If I was you, I'd either try to find someone to repair it for less....or buy a new console.

I don't think it's worth spending near $200 to repair or get a refurb, when a new one will cost you only $300. I don't know all the feature differences between your old 2007 console and the new PS3 Slim, but unless there's a feature on your old one that you use, that's not on the new console.....I'd buy a new one.

The new one will come with a full manufacturers warranty as well, which is probably another reason to go new.

If you can get it fixed somewhere locally for say $100, I'd probably have it repaired.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Sensation

I had a lot of problems with my old PS3 before I got the slim, it's been perfect since the day I got it. My advice is to get a slim if you can.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
NEVER accept a refurbished one if you are still under warranty. I once bought a dell computer and within a month the monitor started to act funny so I sent it in. They sent me a refurbished one to use while they looked at mine so at no time was I without a screen. When they sent me a new one it was refurbished but they didn't tell me. When I called them to complain they said that it was standard practise. I argued with them for a while on the phone and also spoke to a manager of some type. I told them I paid for a brand new computer and that I would not accept anything other than the monitor I bought as the refurbished one looked older and had dust all over the cord. They didn't even bother to clean the thing. I told them that my school had recommended them seeing as the had just bought like 60 and said I would never recommend anyone I knew if they didn't fix the problem. After speaking with with 2 different people I called back the next day and found this really nice girl who said "not a problem sir I will send you a new one right away, sorry". I was shocked, it was so easy. in the end the upgraded my monitor at no charge. I told them that my school had recommended them seeing as the had just bought like 50 and said I would never recommend anyone I knew if they didn't fix the problem.

Same thing with Bell. They double charged my grandparents for their internet for over 1 year and I told them to refund them. They said they could only refund 3 months worth. It took me 3 separate calls to find someone who would credit their account in full.

You just have to stand up to these greedy ******** and don't give up.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:06 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Semi-related but any idea how long it should take for Sony's customer support to return an e-mail?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:08 PM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Semi-related but any idea how long it should take for Sony's customer support to return an e-mail?
For typical inquiries, expect a reply within 5 business days.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
For typical inquiries, expect a reply within 5 business days.
Damn. Been longer than that :S

Old
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Buy an Xbox.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
TheBandWagon

Im drunk so I didn't read this very well, but my buddy has a ps3 and it stopped reading disks. He bought the laser replacement off either ebay or playstation (not entirely sure) but it was less than $100, and it took like 5 minutes to replace. It was a very easy fix

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Damn. Been longer than that :S
Who did you email?

Was it: customercare@sony.ca

Old
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Juvenators
Valley boiiiiii

I know a guy that replaces optical blocks for $120, I'm sure there's even a few cheaper guys around. I'd personally grab a slim though, my original got YLOD not too long after replacing the optical block, so I was out the extra $120. No complaints with the slim in the time I've had it, (well over a year) and it's taken some serious abuse.

Juvenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Alkatchoff

Buy a new slim.

Paying almost 200$ for a refurbished PS3 isn't worth it, and getting a non-official person to fix it is a recipe for problems if they screw up.

Alkatchoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:41 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
Who did you email?

Was it: customercare@sony.ca
Probably not. I have no idea who I e-mailed, I tried to use the PSN website to get to customer support.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Droc
Classless

I hear that ebaying a new laser or drive or whatever is dirt cheap and guides suggest its very simple to replace.
Id look into repairing it before you drop any real cash.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Silex

If you have a 60GB PS3, then I assume that it is a model that is still backwards compatible with PS2 games. Therefore, you'll have to ask yourself how much are you willing to spend to keep your PS2 BC. I have a friend who had this same problem and he was insistent that he wanted to keep the PS2 BC on his PS3 so he forked over the money to have it fixed and there haven't been any problems since so far. But otherwise, if you want to avoid the hassle and risk of sending your PS3 back to Sony, then just get a slim brand new.

Silex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:55 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Buy an Xbox.
This. Although I must say Killzone is a pretty good exclusive. Don't have to worry about that after next week though with the release of Homefront and Crysis 2 the following week. Those games will be much better (they're on both platforms, but if you play online, xbox is the logical choice)

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This. Although I must say Killzone is a pretty good exclusive. Don't have to worry about that after next week though with the release of Homefront and Crysis 2 the following week. Those games will be much better (they're on both platforms, but if you play online, xbox is the logical choice)
Xbox live is good, but its not like its exceptionally better, considering PSN is free.
I know lots of people compare lots of things between the two systems, but from using both lots, Xbox live is NOT a deal-breaking feature.

Crysis 2 looks to be a downer, and Id never play it on Xbox over PC.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
ULoveMe

The new slim come with killzone 3 so that saves you 60 dollars if u were to buy it later on (which you probably will). So just go with the new slim.

ULoveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
CauseHesMyButler*

with the mod you dont need disks you only need a usb. No problem.

CauseHesMyButler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:11 PM
GhostOfDanyHeatley

Buy a slim, but Ebay the broker 60gb. People still buy them for silly amounts because of the compat. issue

GhostOfDanyHeatley is offline   Reply With Quote