HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Win or Lose - I am a proud fan of this TEAM this year

Old
03-13-2011, 09:48 AM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Win or Lose - I am a proud fan of this TEAM this year

I capitalized TEAM as I truly believe that is what we have here, and that is why I believe that even under all the adversity, the concept of pulling or pushing in the same direction always comes back when they have a rough spell.

After years of cliques, and rumors and innuendo, it's nice to not have too much of that anymore. It is not the fault of the individual players that were here, however more so the makeup of the team that was created. This is not to say there will not always be rumors because it is Montreal. Gomez vs. Subban, Cammy sulking because he didn't get a letter, Cammy wanting to be traded, Kostitsyn being a lone wolf, everyone vs. Martin, etc.

That being said, most of it is baseless, and really goes nowhere. We however mostly see evidence of the positives. Gomez joking around, Cammy ribbing Pleky, Cammy ribbing Subban, Players/executives
speaking emotionally about Patches, White/Mara sticking up for teammates, Price saying he is having the most fun ever playing hockey.

We have a good young core, and some level headed easy going veterans with little ego. It will be curious to see what happens next year, because from what I see this year, if Price, Subban, Eller, Patches (I believe he will be back sooner than most think), Desharnais, White, Kostitsyn (I also believe he will be back) can continue on their ways, we have a team, with some added size up front, that can continue to be in the top 10 in the league. And who knows, perhaps a Cup could be in the picture at some point.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:52 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
It's a good team to watch, finally a coach that understands hockey.

Obviously they won't win the Cup this year, but hopefully they have better luck with injuries next season and make a good run again.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
NBP81

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Obviously they won't win the Cup this year, but hopefully they have better luck with injuries next season and make a good run again.
With every game the Flyers play, the less and less obvious it becomes that we wont make it to the finals this year...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
I capitalized TEAM as I truly believe that is what we have here, and that is why I believe that even under all the adversity, the concept of pulling or pushing in the same direction always comes back when they have a rough spell.

After years of cliques, and rumors and innuendo, it's nice to not have too much of that anymore. It is not the fault of the individual players that were here, however more so the makeup of the team that was created. This is not to say there will not always be rumors because it is Montreal. Gomez vs. Subban, Cammy sulking because he didn't get a letter, Cammy wanting to be traded, Kostitsyn being a lone wolf, everyone vs. Martin, etc.

That being said, most of it is baseless, and really goes nowhere. We however mostly see evidence of the positives. Gomez joking around, Cammy ribbing Pleky, Cammy ribbing Subban, Players/executives
speaking emotionally about Patches, White/Mara sticking up for teammates, Price saying he is having the most fun ever playing hockey.

We have a good young core, and some level headed easy going veterans with little ego. It will be curious to see what happens next year, because from what I see this year, if Price, Subban, Eller, Patches (I believe he will be back sooner than most think), Desharnais, White, Kostitsyn (I also believe he will be back) can continue on their ways, we have a team, with some added size up front, that can continue to be in the top 10 in the league. And who knows, perhaps a Cup could be in the picture at some point.
Kostitsyn's one man wolf-pack? He was alone in his wolfpack and Eller joined him later.

Seriously though I agree with everything you've said. This team seems to have a strong bond and they are fun to watch out there.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Habskrieg

After all the team's been through this season. It's nice to see how we can still mesh together and play good hockey.

It's going to be an interesting playoff series.

Habs fan till the end! Always a believer no matter the odds!
For ever go habs go!

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:11 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Imagine if our defense was healthy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Kboum

Too often Jacques Martins get critizes... But hey look he's done so far in his 2 seasons.... He is a really good coach and he doenst get enough credit.

Sometimes we can argue his line ups but his gameplans are always great and with a depleted Defense we still play nice hockey in our zone and Carey get the job done..

Good job guys

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 1076
I'm glad to finally see some recognition of JM work.

Not that long ago some wanted him to get fired... Really?

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Imagine if our defense was healthy.
We're already fighting for the 3rd seed, something I never thought possible without Markov and Gorges. Gotta give a lot of credit to Martin. Yea, Price is amazing, but he's part of our team and we need him to perform. It's like saying Plekanec is good too. I give the credit to Martin first and foremost.
Gotta give some credit to Gauthier as well. He did his job and went after good helpers.

I seriously think we'd be 1st or head to head with Philly if we had a healthy roster. Gauthier might have opted for different reinforcements as well had we remained healthy.
The only good thing I see from these injuries is that Weber got to show that he really isn't far from being a regular. I'm very pleased with him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
With every game the Flyers play, the less and less obvious it becomes that we wont make it to the finals this year...
If the Boston rentals don't play very well we may find ourselves with home-ice advantage for the playoffs.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We're already fighting for the 3rd seed, something I never thought possible without Markov and Gorges. Gotta give a lot of credit to Martin. Yea, Price is amazing, but he's part of our team and we need him to perform. It's like saying Plekanec is good too. I give the credit to Martin first and foremost.
Gotta give some credit to Gauthier as well. He did his job and went after good helpers.

I seriously think we'd be 1st or head to head with Philly if we had a healthy roster. Gauthier might have opted for different reinforcements as well had we remained healthy.
The only good thing I see from these injuries is that Weber got to show that he really isn't far from being a regular. I'm very pleased with him.
The thing that bothers me is what happens after this season with the defense, we have such a mess right now.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Sorry but I counter with PG should get more credit cause the players he has don't quit no matter who is coaching. Price is a beast that would make u look like a great coach.

Sure the system is good but it isn't his system, its a system that is widespread in the league and has a lot of history. JM's lines sometimes are downright wrong and detrimental(hence having to change it up during the game cause we are losing).

Muller and the rest of the assistants also make JM look good.

Man I can sit behind a bench and scribble on a pad all game too.

except I couldn't remain emotionless even when your best your forward is lying on the ice nearly dead.

On topic, I love this team and believe in the potential as a contender and agree if we were healthy we would be a serious contender for the cup this year. Also like Kriss said, if healthy we would have made different trades and maybe could have gotten that Iginla type guy to put us over the top.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:46 PM
PricePkPatch

Aye mate! We got a team in place, with heart and head that make it go far!

Our D lineup will be bothersome next year, if we get back everybody. We'll have to let many go, keep others. Should we send Gomez down to use that 6m of cap space?

Let's ready ourselves for a hearty playoff run, and hope for the best. We shall pick up our next heroes once the dust settled.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboum View Post
Too often Jacques Martins get critizes... But hey look he's done so far in his 2 seasons.... He is a really good coach and he doenst get enough credit.

Sometimes we can argue his line ups but his gameplans are always great and with a depleted Defense we still play nice hockey in our zone and Carey get the job done..

Good job guys
Indeed, I get sick of everyone complaining about Martin, he's gotten us farther in the playoffs than the many coaches preceding him. He's boring, and his quietness on the bench in regards to officiating hasn't seem to done us any favours, but this team has overcome so many problems.

That said, I do not want to lose Muller, I think he's also a huge part of what makes our locker room so great. It's difficult to know if it's the system or players that work so well.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Darth Joker

I think that the team has weathered the injury storm very well, and deserves credit for that. On the vast majority of nights, this team puts in a good effort, and plays smart.

That's all you can ask for as a fan, really, when it comes to the players themselves.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Sorry but I counter with PG should get more credit cause the players he has don't quit no matter who is coaching. Price is a beast that would make u look like a great coach.
A coach is the person who motivates the team to play to their potential or with intensity, not just the players themselves. It helps to build a team of committed players, but the coach is the one who ultimately should get the most credit. Look at last years playoffs, I havent seen a team play with that much heart in a while, these players play for the crest on thier sweaters, and Martin is a big part of that. He installs a persona that everyone has a role to play and you play as one, with sound fundamentals; that is the building blocks of a team identity.

Quote:
Sure the system is good but it isn't his system, its a system that is widespread in the league and has a lot of history. JM's lines sometimes are downright wrong and detrimental(hence having to change it up during the game cause we are losing).
That is like saying a band isnt good at what they do because they play rock, a historical genre of music. Show me where making lines are an exact science, it has huge variables that often change game to game and rely on luck. Also show me a coach who doesnt ****ing switch lines when a team is down, god, every single coach in the freaking league does that.

Quote:
Muller and the rest of the assistants also make JM look good.
One of the most foolish myths on this board. Of course the assistants help Martin, that is their job! Martin is the head coach, you realize that he coaches and organizes their jobs as well right...

Giving more credit to assistants than head coaches is just pure ludicrous.

Quote:
Man I can sit behind a bench and scribble on a pad all game too.
This is just ridiculous, of course you can. But you would be an idiot to think that is what he is doing. Yeah, he is scribbling things on his pad, no, he is reading the game and the teams gameplay, other teams weaknesses and strengths, so he can develop a plan to counteract them and explain it to the team. Something YOU CANNOT DO.

Quote:
except I couldn't remain emotionless even when your best your forward is lying on the ice nearly dead.
Certain coaches have different styles. Martin believes that staying calm and in control rubs off on his team so they can execute the game properly. I believe it works, it also helps himself keep his head in the game. Why should you care?

Look no further than the development of Weber, Gorges, and Subban. These defensemen have thrived under Martin. Its pretty simple, if you have some decent hockey intelligence and can play a system, you will become a sound defensemen under Martin. Hell, just look at how Hammer, Gill, and Wiz, and any of the defensemen play under his guidance, our defense corps plays a sound game, with help from our forwards of course. Something to work on for next season will to be able to create more goals, while continuing to be a strong defensive team. Last year it was getting more shots, and a better differiential, spending less time in our own zone, he has done wonders in these areas. This team is progressing under his helm, and they are becoming a complete and hard team to play against.

I stand behind Martin more than any coach I have ever been old enough to watch as a Habs fan. He is articulate, fair, smart and methodical. Something we havent had for the last 5 or 6 coaches in a row, or at least, they were too inexperienced to have those qualities hammered out.

Last edited by buddahsmoka1: 03-13-2011 at 08:22 PM.
buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:10 PM
rUmX

@buddahsmoka1: Wow, great post! Well said and I totally agree with everything.

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Dekar

Criticise Martin all you want, he's as much a part of this team as any player. The same team that went to the conference finals as an 8th seed last year, is playing well enough to potentially earn home ice advantage in at least one playoff series this year, and had all but locked up a playoff spot with over 20 games left in the season.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:04 PM
The Goalie Mask

Well said and good timing for the discussion.

The team as a whole as done very well especially considering all the adversity.

Coaches, players and management have done a good job to work together as unified unit with a common goal. The results have shown alot of heart, determination and commitment.

Even though as habs fans wanting a cup now, we can certainly be proud of our team. It is deffinately going in the right direction and our mix of players and coaching style has been a pleasant surprise.

Lets make some noise in the playoffs!

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by I stand behind Martin more than any coach I have ever been old enough to watch as a Habs fan. He is articulate, fair, smart and [B
methodical[/B]. Something we havent had for the last 5 or 6 coaches in a row, or at least, they were too inexperienced to have those qualities hammered out.
This is so true not since Burns have we seen a coach with such a great system. Guess what he was boring too. (Not behind the bench lol)
That why when there "off" they look horrible but when there "on" its a machine.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I don't think it's that obvious. Let's watch and see.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Look no further than the development of Weber, Gorges, and Subban. These defensemen have thrived under Martin. Its pretty simple, if you have some decent hockey intelligence and can play a system, you will become a sound defensemen under Martin. Hell, just look at how Hammer, Gill, and Wiz, and any of the defensemen play under his guidance, our defense corps plays a sound game, with help from our forwards of course. Something to work on for next season will to be able to create more goals, while continuing to be a strong defensive team. Last year it was getting more shots, and a better differiential, spending less time in our own zone, he has done wonders in these areas. This team is progressing under his helm, and they are becoming a complete and hard team to play against.
The team finished minus 6 last year in GF/GA. This year they're plus 12 thus far. In addition to that their GF and GA have both improved over last year. We saw the system finally start to work in the playoffs last season. This year they've played it to a tee from the get-go despite major injuries to the entire defense and key forwards. Martin's system isn't about just "good defensemen". It's about good "team defense". It's given the Habs the opportunity to win every game. Very rare do you see Montreal blown out in a game. With a healthy club Montreal is a top 3 seed and a cup contender.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Gotta love hockey fans. When the team is flying, everything is beautiful and pretty. We lose 2 in a row and holy schmidt batman it's the end of the world.

In short, yes, I'm proud too

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Et le But

I feel more confident in this team than the 07-08 one. Yes that was a better offensive team, but there was always something fragile about that group, too dependant on the power play brilliance of Markov and Streit. This is a better 5 on 5 team, and is much more mentally tough.

This team has issues but I think we got a genuine winning culture going on. We aren't one of the favourites but I truely believe we are in the race for a you-know-what. Even if we do not go all the way, I think the core of this team has shown that it can face whatever challenge is in front of it.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:19 AM
ReVeuF

This team is impressive considering injuries and cold players... the rookies are doing way better than expected, my props to them and of course Price.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote