HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Woah I didnt realise Nick Foligno got dealt too...

Old
03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Woah I didnt realise Nick Foligno got dealt too...

Let me preface by saying that ive missed a few games since our overhaul but I believe Nick Foligno has been largely invisible during that time.

I get that he struggled to start the year but once he got that first goal he was playing decent from then on.

I also get that this guy isnt going to be a top six forward but neither is Condra and he's been getting more minutes than Foligno lately, because he's earned them of course.

Since Foligno is the third most veteran forward on our team now (Spaz, Neil), not including injuries, youd hope that he would assert himself as a good role player for our team going forward, or at least getting decent ice time (~15 mins the last few games isnt very impressive by looking at our forward group).

Maybe I'm wrong here but I feel like i haven't noticed him at all, other than trying to do too many moves to enter the zone only for the play to be broken up by a defender. This team is all about youth movement (and hes younger than Condra, Greening and Butler) but in no way is he showing he has what it takes to be part of it. Those are my thoughts anyways...

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:48 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post
Let me preface by saying that ive missed a few games since our overhaul but I believe Nick Foligno has been largely invisible during that time.

I get that he struggled to start the year but once he got that first goal he was playing decent from then on.

I also get that this guy isnt going to be a top six forward but neither is Condra and he's been getting more minutes than Foligno lately, because he's earned them of course.

Since Foligno is the third most veteran forward on our team now (Spaz, Neil), not including injuries, youd hope that he would assert himself as a good role player for our team going forward, or at least getting decent ice time (~15 mins the last few games isnt very impressive by looking at our forward group).

Maybe I'm wrong here but I feel like i haven't noticed him at all, other than trying to do too many moves to enter the zone only for the play to be broken up by a defender. This team is all about youth movement (and hes younger than Condra, Greening and Butler) but in no way is he showing he has what it takes to be part of it. Those are my thoughts anyways...
Totally agree that he is not a top 6 forward. Just lacks that extra bit of skill one needs. Power forward? Not showing that element either.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Minister of Offence

He should produce more considering how well he does other things. Just never developed any true offensive abilities and probably never will.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Nope, he won't be the top six forward we were hoping for. But he'll be a reliable third liner who's create in corners and against the boards, finishes checks, is defensively responsible and can add a bit of offense to the mix.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Sensfanman

Nick is very inconsistent. He can skate well and protect the puck and cycle but he has no shot (that he uses anyway) and his hands constitutes two moves where he either chips the puck and jumps around a player or cuts around a guy with one hand on his stick. When those moves work, he starts producing but players seem to know how to stop him now.

Sounds like a 3rd liner to me but he's young enough to improve. He's gotta take some shooting lessons.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Alkatchoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post

Weird, I haven't seen his performance that way at all.

First off, he's playing with Smith and Neil. Not exactly the fastest or most productive players on the team. They're a line that's meant to get the puck in the offensive zone and keep it there, while being physical. They've been largely successful at it.

Second, the effort's been there. Foligno's puck pursuit's been solid, and if anything, he's been trying to do too much, often with dekes entering the offensive zone. His ice-time's not been particularly high, but he hasn't been used on the PK much, and plays sparingly on the power play as well.

While I agree Foligno might not be a top-6 winger, I haven't seen a whole lot that I'm unhappy with in his game. A bit more production would be nice, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with his play since the re-tooling.

Alkatchoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Tuna99

At this point 15 goals and 15 assists a season and solid leadership and a very well liked teammate is what we can hope from Foligno.

I still think he has some huge playoffs goals in him for us, we'll see his best hockey in the playoffs. I don't see him as a guy that goes cold when the games matter. I'm still a big fan.

And he's pretty much the coolest guy on the team.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

Maybe he could contribute to the team in other ways. I'd like him to finish his checks more, and maybe playing with Neil will give him this mindset.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:30 PM
benjiv1

IMO Foligno can still be a 50 point player. He's on pace for his best year offensively, on a team with one of the lowest goals for in the league.

Foligno, like Spezza, will produce with the right line-mates.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:43 PM
EastCoastSensFan

I agree that Nick is never going to be a frontline guy for us. Atleast not from what I have seen so far. That said I think that his line with Neil and Smith while not scoring has been very effective the past 5 or so games.

EastCoastSensFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Well, NHL11 has Foligno putting up 60 points next season with terrible inconsistency...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
pdog1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkatchoff View Post
First off,<b> he's playing with Smith and Neil.</b> Not exactly the fastest or most productive players on the team. They're a line that's meant to get the puck in the offensive zone and keep it there, while being physical. They've been largely successful at it.
Given the lineup right now, Foligno has to be disappointed to be on the 3rd line right now, but I agree that he will likely max-out as a 3rd liner, which is fine. You hope for more out of a 1st rounder - even a late one - but I like what he brings to the team.

That said, if we could package him with one of our top-end D prospects for a top-end F prospect, that's a move we must make. Condra/Greening/O'Brien should hopefully be able to fill his role.

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

He just lacks ...........

Stamina

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Romans12_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog1979 View Post
You hope for more out of a 1st rounder - even a late one - but I like what he brings to the team.
He was a Murray pick right?

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
He was a Murray pick right?
"On March 21, 2007, Senators' general manager John Muckler announced the club had agreed to terms on an entry level contract with Foligno, and he split the 2007–08 season between Ottawa and their AHL affiliate in Binghamton. He played his first NHL regular-season game on October 1, 2007.[1] He is known for an outstanding work ethic and gritty style of play, combined with some offensive flair.[2] "He plays like his dad, I’ll tell you that," said former Senators' general manager John Muckler. "He’s a gritty player. He has a little bit of sandpaper to him".[3] Upon scoring his first NHL goal (against the Montreal Canadiens) he performed his father's noted goal celebration, the Foligno Leap."

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
trobby

He's had enough time to show if he's capable of being a Top-6 forward.
He is not.

Our team is better with him on the 3rd line. He's better on the 3rd line.

Next year, put him on a line with Regin, and Neil.
The line will have a lot of energy with the potential to get a total of 90-100 points together.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

He's still only 23. I think he has one or two more years before he's done developing. He'll get more time with the rebuild, and hopefully that will improve his confidence and, more importantly, his stamina.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Bushido

Solid 3rd line LW. Anything more would just be gravy.

Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
kyle747

He a good player - and at the least should end up as an excellent 3rd line player. He cycles and plays with jam.

He's also cheap, so we can put money into top 6 forwards, I hope.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He should produce more considering how well he does other things. Just never developed any true offensive abilities and probably never will.
He goes to his backhand way too much and it takes him out of the play. He is very strong on his backhand but he really struggles on the forhand.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

When he's on his game he looks like a good fit in the top 6, but it's not often that he goes on a hot streak.

Good bottom 6 player to have tho.

03-12-2011, 02:07 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Very strong third liner.

Top line preseason performer.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Brycios

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog1979 View Post
Given the lineup right now, Foligno has to be disappointed to be on the 3rd line right now, but I agree that he will likely max-out as a 3rd liner, which is fine. You hope for more out of a 1st rounder - even a late one - but I like what he brings to the team.

That said, if we could package him with one of our top-end D prospects for a top-end F prospect, that's a move we must make. Condra/Greening/O'Brien should hopefully be able to fill his role.
I feel that, considering his draft position, he's turned out very well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
I feel that, considering his draft position, he's turned out very well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html
Good point. Aside from lucic and maybe kulemin...there hasn't really been a better player drafted after him. Great pick indeed.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

He's still young

He still might turn into a top 6 player.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote