HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sleeper Rivalries

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Leafer72*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Leafer72*
Sleeper Rivalries

I'm sure you read plenty of rivalry threads but I was wondering what do you consider the up-coming rivalries that are gaining momentum or a controversial hit away from exploding

Or rivalries that might be on there way back that are currently dormant

and what are some of the underrated- rivalries in the NHL or hockey in general

Old
07-04-2004, 08:22 PM
markov`

Montreal and Ottawa will start to heat up this year, since I think they will compete for the first spot in the North East.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Flames fans can probably back me up on this...but the Nashville\Calgary saga has been great over the past two years.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Minnesota/New Jersey for the fans who hate the trap...Which team plays the most boring hockey?

But in truth Calgary/Minnesota and also Edmonton/Minnesota. Edmonton played a dirty game this year in Minnesota and I don't think the fans nor the players will forget Hemsky's hook and uh well Brunette getting high sticked.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:30 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I think Nashville will be fierce rivals with almost every Western Conference team two years from now

Old
07-04-2004, 10:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I think Nashville will be fierce rivals with almost every Western Conference team two years from now

It certainly appears that way. Vancouver doesn't really like us. They say Trotz whines, and Bertuzzi broke Skrastins nose, and a 5-3's for the Nucks have made this in to more than it should be.

After the classless display by Sutter at the end of the game, the Nashville/Calgary rivalry will likely heat up. And then there's the Tootoo/Iginla fight.

Nashville-Detroit - this is a good one because it means so much to Nashville. Not as much as Detroit, but they've had their hands full in the past few visits to the Music City.

Nashville - St. Louis - I just hate the Blues.

Nashville - CBJ. No one on either team like the other team.

Old
07-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Come on Smokey, I like you!

Old
07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

The Boards get particuluarly nast around the time of a game.

Sorta like one giant scrum.

Old
07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Come on Smokey, I like you!

Oh, I love a lot of CBJ fans. But, as far as the teams are concerned, I'm not sure they really like each other. I know MacLean doesn't like the Preds and I'm pretty sure Tyler Wright doesn't appreciate Tootoo partaking in his manflesh. I love this rivalry.

Edit: How many rivalries last year had two own goals (well, almost two), a fake hattrick, blood all over the ice from a fight, an accused biting, two claims of payback, payback, come from behind wins to try to ruin playoff runs, trade causing blowouts, zherdev's first goal(s). It's just a blast. And we both suck right now compared to what we might become. Imagine the rivalry if something besides pride was at stake for both teams.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-04-2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old
07-04-2004, 11:45 PM
sehnsucht

the nashville-calgary rivalry originates with Vokoun and Iginla. Vokoun flat out hates Iginla and goes after him at every chance. Good little rivalry going there

Old
07-04-2004, 11:48 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht
the nashville-calgary rivalry originates with Vokoun and Iginla. Vokoun flat out hates Iginla and goes after him at every chance. Good little rivalry going there
I honestly don't think Vokoun hates Iginla. The best example of he and Iginla's dislike for each other was just wrong place wrong time for Iginla. Vokoun was going out to play the puck and misjudged Iginla's speed. Iginla was going to get to the puck before Vokoun so Vokie just checked him in to the boards. If it was Lombardi or anyone, he would have done similar. I'm sure he's not a big fan, but I don't think he hates him. Vokoun doesn't like anyone.

Old
07-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Edmonton Oilers - Atlanta Thrashers

Even though these teams only met once last year, it was a good game capped by an awesome bench-clearing brawl. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some aftermath next time these two meet.

Old
07-05-2004, 12:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1091
Though they haven't met in the playoffs in over 25 years, Philly-Boston have a history, the cities are passionate sports towns and their games are generally decided by no more than a goal (each game the last two years for starters).

Old
07-05-2004, 02:22 AM
LuckyLUC20

Kings/Ducks

Old
07-05-2004, 08:33 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Edit: How many rivalries last year had two own goals (well, almost two), a fake hattrick, blood all over the ice from a fight, an accused biting, two claims of payback, payback, come from behind wins to try to ruin playoff runs, trade causing blowouts, zherdev's first goal(s). It's just a blast. And we both suck right now compared to what we might become. Imagine the rivalry if something besides pride was at stake for both teams.
Quite a summation, and all in one paragraph!

Old
07-05-2004, 11:26 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Vancouver-Minnesota is a nice rivalry that's really heated up over the past 2-3 years. The one problem is that about half the games are 1-0 or 1-1 snoozefests. But the two teams can't stand each other. There's been so much crap between them over the last few years...just off the top of my head...

- Matt Johnson gooning Ohlund because he didn't like some of Ohlund's hits on Gaborik. (and then beating on Sopel when he tried to stick up for Ohlund )
- Matt Cooke suckerpunching Jason Marshall and breaking his nose
- Jovanovski drilling Jason Marshall into the boards from behind and getting ejected from the game.
- Scrum/borderline brawl after Game 2 of the WCSF's last year.
- Bertuzzi's comments to Minny fans after Game 4 last year
- Ohlund knocking Gaborik out with an elbow in Game 5 last year (followed by Johnson running Naslund)
- Ruutu breaking Christoph Brandner's nose with a (clean ) check *and* picking a fight with Sergei Zholtak in the same game.
- Matt Johnson trying to decapitate Cooke with his stick (ended up hitting him in the shoulder), followed by Cooke spearing Johnson so hard that he broke the shaft of his stick.

Can't wait to see what next year brings...now if only Minnesota will stop playing such a boring style...

Old
07-05-2004, 01:53 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Buffalo/Toronto doesn't get enough respect around the boards.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

Florida Tampa is one rivalry that isnt as good as it could be because none of the teams were good at the same time, so it's been kinda one sided with periods of dominance by both sides. There's also bad blood between Florida and Atlanta (Kovalchuk's dirty hit on Nilson, Nilson's borderline hit on Kozlov, Kovalchuk getting caught with an illegal stick against Florida)

Old
07-05-2004, 02:17 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Wings/Preds and Wings/Blue Jackets are getting to be quite the contests...Canucks and Avs are going to be a real nasty one as well.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Moskau

Buffalo and Atlanta

Old
07-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Teemu

After a 7-0 whitewashing by the hawks, the next game played between Chicago and Columbs was a bloodfest. Five or six fights. This could grow into quite a rivalry

Old
07-05-2004, 02:24 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
Buffalo/Toronto doesn't get enough respect around the boards.
Because no one cares about rivalries in which one team is drastically better than the other overall.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112

Even though these teams only met once last year, it was a good game capped by an awesome bench-clearing brawl. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some aftermath next time these two meet.
interestingly enough, i can remember three different sort of sega's between these two teams.

In one, Edmonton called kovalchuck for an illegal stick. When he stepped out of the box with his legal stick, he scored the game winning goal, and went and mouthed off the edmonton bench.

Next game between the two, I think Comrie went at it with kovalchuck, and it was a hilarious but heated fight. edmonton players accused kovalchuck of pulling comries hair, and they were right.

Then, edmonton had sweet brawl with Atlanta with the goalies getting into it and everything

maybe tampa and calgary have something going

and Tampa Bay and Philly sure hate each other, making that a very entertaining rivalry to watch.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:15 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
I agree.

In the "how did that happen?" category, this one just kinda crept up. It's too bad they only play once or twice a year because given the chance I could see this one heating up.

If they ever reworked the playoff format, it would be great to see the Thrashers/Oilers meet in teh first round.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Because no one cares about rivalries in which one team is drastically better than the other overall.
You mean Buffalo right?

Closed Thread