HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sleeper Rivalries

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Wings/Preds and Wings/Blue Jackets are getting to be quite the contests...Canucks and Avs are going to be a real nasty one as well.
canucks and Avs has been going for awhile. Brian Burke was an unpopular figure here when he was in the NHL office, when he hit Vancouver and started blaming Pierre Lacroix for all the world's ills and was his general paranoid self it didn't help.

Jovo and Deadmarsh had a couple of fights, which was really the begining of Deadeye's concussion problem and when Donald Brashear was around his instigate a fight and back out trick wasn't all that popular.

It's going to be a million times worse.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Montreal and Ottawa will start to heat up this year, since I think they will compete for the first spot in the North East.
If indeed both Toronto and Boston fall our of favour in the North-East (unlikely) Ottawa would be a fair bit ahead of Montreal in the standings. There will be no competitio, quite simply put unless half of Montreal's roster progresses in leaps and bounds, they will not be able to come close to Ottawa's level.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs Forever
If indeed both Toronto and Boston fall our of favour in the North-East (unlikely) Ottawa would be a fair bit ahead of Montreal in the standings. There will be no competitio, quite simply put unless half of Montreal's roster progresses in leaps and bounds, they will not be able to come close to Ottawa's level.
Montreal is catching up in the creame puff category.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:33 PM
LaVal

i think after "the incident" the Avs/Nucks rivalry will become one of the most noted in the NHL. there were some dirty moments in the past, but most of the players involved have moved on, however after taking a 9-2 beating (in which there was 4 fights), and the result of that game... i think it's safe to say it's been re-ignited. add to the fact that there was no closure to that game.

i agree with colonel_korn that the Wild/Nucks rivalry is often overlooked due to low scoring. the teams despise each other.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Dream of Janney
Shorty Longback

Well, after the blowout and Lindros/Thornton incident earlier this year, the Rangers and Bruins would seem to have one coming. Then again, it looks as if many of the players from both Boston and New York won't be back next year to continue what they started. Its a shame really, both teams had quite a bit of size at the time. And seeing as how Doull was in the minors, Purington didn't get his.

All I want is Lindros vs. Thoronton, Pt. 2.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
Florida Tampa is one rivalry that isnt as good as it could be because none of the teams were good at the same time, so it's been kinda one sided with periods of dominance by both sides. There's also bad blood between Florida and Atlanta (Kovalchuk's dirty hit on Nilson, Nilson's borderline hit on Kozlov, Kovalchuk getting caught with an illegal stick against Florida)
The South East just doesnt get the respect it deserves.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Because no one cares about rivalries in which one team is drastically better than the other overall.
Hmm well Buffalo always seems to kill us when we play em (except for those last 2 games we played against them in the regular season ). Anyway, its not that big but I wouldn't call it a sleeper rivalry.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
Hmm well Buffalo always seems to kill us when we play em (except for those last 2 games we played against them in the regular season ). Anyway, its not that big but I wouldn't call it a sleeper rivalry.
I personally LOVE Buffalo-Toronto games, especially if they're in Buffalo where you can practically feel the tension. I make it a point to watch those matchups.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
I personally LOVE Buffalo-Toronto games, especially if they're in Buffalo where you can practically feel the tension. I make it a point to watch those matchups.
Sotnos there is alot of tension in those games Ive been lucky enough to go to one of them. You live in Buffalo or use to?

Old
07-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
i think after "the incident" the Avs/Nucks rivalry will become one of the most noted in the NHL. there were some dirty moments in the past, but most of the players involved have moved on, however after taking a 9-2 beating (in which there was 4 fights), and the result of that game... i think it's safe to say it's been re-ignited. add to the fact that there was no closure to that game.

i agree with colonel_korn that the Wild/Nucks rivalry is often overlooked due to low scoring. the teams despise each other.
Actually, I think this incident probably killed the rivalry. That went so far past fair play and intense play that it's not even funny. I think the Avs and Canucks will play each other "scared" for at least a while. It's just a bad scene, and I don't think anything good will come out of it.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Actually, I think this incident probably killed the rivalry. That went so far past fair play and intense play that it's not even funny. I think the Avs and Canucks will play each other "scared" for at least a while. It's just a bad scene, and I don't think anything good will come out of it.
it's true they may not want to start anything so soon after what happened, but there's no doubt there's an Avs roster that now more than ever dispises the Canucks. i'm sure Bertuzzi will be a target when they meet up (not in the sense that Moore was), and you'll probably see some scores settled (e.g. Blake and Ruutu, May and Worrell, etc).

Old
07-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Sotnos there is alot of tension in those games Ive been lucky enough to go to one of them. You live in Buffalo or use to?
No, but I've been there...once.

I just happened across one of those games on Center Ice one night and was hooked, so it's a matchup I actually look for now.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Oh, I love a lot of CBJ fans. But, as far as the teams are concerned, I'm not sure they really like each other. I know MacLean doesn't like the Preds and I'm pretty sure Tyler Wright doesn't appreciate Tootoo partaking in his manflesh. I love this rivalry.

Edit: How many rivalries last year had two own goals (well, almost two), a fake hattrick, blood all over the ice from a fight, an accused biting, two claims of payback, payback, come from behind wins to try to ruin playoff runs, trade causing blowouts, zherdev's first goal(s). It's just a blast. And we both suck right now compared to what we might become. Imagine the rivalry if something besides pride was at stake for both teams.

You forgot Nash's First and only fight last year was against the preds. good times good times

Old
07-05-2004, 09:29 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
No, but I've been there...once.

I just happened across one of those games on Center Ice one night and was hooked, so it's a matchup I actually look for now.
The atmosphere in the HSBC for Buffalo/Toronto games is the best in the NHL IMO.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Montreal and Ottawa will start to heat up this year, since I think they will compete for the first spot in the North East.
Well, from an outsiders point of view, I don't think it will be anything like you are hoping for. Not trying to be rude, just throwing out my opinion.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:37 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
The atmosphere in the HSBC for Buffalo/Toronto games is the best in the NHL IMO.

Yeah,because it's pretty much Toronto's extra home games!

And ObeySteve that was dumb saying that one team is drastically better then the other....seeing as Buffalo won the series,I hope you were talking about Buffalo.

And I do agree about Buffalo/Atlanta.The past few times we played them,there is always players trying to hurt each other...especially since Hartley likes to send out his goons when his team is getting their ass kicked.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
X0ssbar

If I were to chose between what game to take a new hockey fan to in Columbus - it would be Nashville with the Wings being a close second. The Preds/CBJ contests make for great entertainment and I think would definitely qualify as a "sleeper rivalry" - I can't wait until one of these games actually means something for both squads.

I highly recommend catching one of these games as your browsing through your Center Ice selections on a given evening.

Old
07-06-2004, 01:46 AM
jacketracket*

Detroit-Nashville is going to be a really good rivalry over the next few seasons, IMO, as the Wings try to fight off Nashville for dominance in the Central.

Old
07-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
Buffalo/Toronto doesn't get enough respect around the boards.
I like Buffalo/Toronto actually, Buffalo just hasn't been prevelant in the league as of late. Games where the Leafs play in Buffalo are famous around town as games that Leafs fans can actually afford to see

On a related note, hopefully Buffalo/Ottawa gets back going again. Both those teams need strong rivals and they sure got nasty with each other a few years back.

As well, if the Panthers improve as much this year as they look like they may, Tampa/Florida may be a good rivalry, although I doubt many fans will care.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Jarnberg

As said before, the Columbus - Nashville rivalry is growing and growing. They've been very heated in the past. The posters of both teams hate each other on gamedays and the next day, but then its all in good fun . Not to mention that both teams have a bright future with good young players. This is a very good Central Division rivalry and hopefully will stay that way.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I can't believe the lack of respect the Kings/Ducks rivalry gets around here. There are fights just about every game. Someone mentioned Nash fighting. Aki Berg once fought A Duck Fan that jumped the glass and went after him when he was with the Kings.
They are great games always worth watching.

Old
07-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Edmonton Oilers - Atlanta Thrashers

Even though these teams only met once last year, it was a good game capped by an awesome bench-clearing brawl. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some aftermath next time these two meet.
Exacly! No other cross-conference rivalry is as big as this.

The year before the bench brawl was the Kovalchuk-Comrie fight. And then after, Kovalchuk called Edmonton 'communist' and MacT being the last to wear a helmet is the reason for his brain damage.

Old
07-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
As well, if the Panthers improve as much this year as they look like they may, Tampa/Florida may be a good rivalry, although I doubt many fans will care.
Always have to get your shots in I see

Old
07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Papa Smurf

Vancouver vs Phoenix was a temporary spin off of the Vancouver vs Winnipeg days.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
Dude I agree fully.

Closed Thread