HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Am I crazy to think?

Old
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Im loving this guy so far and have not been afraid to say it on this site and neither should you, he is a very good looking Defender. On that note i wouldint go as far to say he is our best D man with the capability of Stall but i do think he is def looking like our second best D man. Hes got so much going for him and is such a good teammate who sticks up for everyone. Hes skating has gotten better every game and i love the way he reads the play to make very good pinches like his goal yesterday. I think he has been our best Offensive D man in that last month or so, but Stall still is better in the own zone, not that he isnt good there also with the highest plus minus on the team.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know its great that we have a a solid top-4 now. I absolutely love Sauer and McDonagh together. They compliment each other very well because they play the game with the same high hockey IQ and they cover for eachother as well, if not better than Staal-Girardi.

However, with that said, next season this team needs to address their 3rd pairing. Its ridiculous that Torts HAS to rely so heavily on Staal, Girardi and 2 rookies to carry the defensive load. They have done an admirable job but that NEEDS to be addressed next season.
Agreed. I don't mind bringing McCabe back for another year, but Gilroy has got to go. Del Zotto (if not traded) could be 6th-7th defenseman and learn from McCabe. We would also need to sign another cheap veteran to be 7th defenseman.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know its great that we have a a solid top-4 now. I absolutely love Sauer and McDonagh together. They compliment each other very well because they play the game with the same high hockey IQ and they cover for eachother as well, if not better than Staal-Girardi.

However, with that said, next season this team needs to address their 3rd pairing. Its ridiculous that Torts HAS to rely so heavily on Staal, Girardi and 2 rookies to carry the defensive load. They have done an admirable job but that NEEDS to be addressed next season.
you have to think DZ gets back in. If they can get Richards then the PP unit is DZ and BR.............it would enable them to not spend the money on a offensive PP QB. They could just promote Valentenko.

Vtank also gives them a booming shot from the point and a physical prescence.

I expect Gilroy and Eminger to be the odd men out.

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The Rangers must be planning on bringing Gilroy back next season. Can't think of why else he is learning on the job vs. Eminger getting more games.
i think that they haven't decided to bring him back and they are now using these games to see if gilroy can fill that role. this is like a tryout for gilroy to show them that given some confidence he can fill that role and is worth the $$ it will cost to resign him...

since gilroy isn't a nhl dman he will continue to fail miserably in this tryout and they will determine he isn't worth the $$ and let him walk

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Best all around? No...At least not yet. Is it possible? Sure.

Right now Staal holds the title for the Rangers lockerroom. All around he is the most complete, but others are better than him in certain areas.

Sauer I think is the smartest of the current crop. I don't think he has the talent, and masybe he's a tad slow. But...He IMO is a better decision maker than the rest of the defenseman.

McDonough IMO is the best athlete of the bunch. He's got alot of flow to his game, like he is effortless out there. To me that means he is relaxed and playing HIS game. I think in a season or two the NY Rangers ar egoing to really love the Gomez trade even more!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
McDonough IMO is the best athlete of the bunch. He's got alot of flow to his game, like he is effortless out there. To me that means he is relaxed and playing HIS game. I think in a season or two the NY Rangers ar egoing to really love the Gomez trade even more!
McDonagh is a physical monster. I remember reading somewhere he was incredibly in the combine portion of the draft in 2007.

That trade will likely go down as one of the best in Rangers history.

Getting a potential 1st pairing defenseman and a potential 3rd pairing defenseman, + cap space for an elite sniper for a borderline 2nd line center on an albatross contract, a bust, and a marginal 4th liner.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Sauer is good,would have been a first rounder as well,if he wasnt injured or suppose to be injury prone...is this kid the best d-man now,no,but not far from it...Do i think he can be better than Staal,**** yes I do...the kid is damn good,and thihs is his first season.He is looking to be the steal of the draft maybe...I def like this kid,fav d-man along with Girradi
I love Sauer, but Kris Letang was a third rounder that year. Tough to top that.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I love Sauer, but Kris Letang was a third rounder that year. Tough to top that.
Yup. Paul Stastny was also selected after Sauer, and Patric Hornqvist was a freaking seventh round pick. Hornqvist was the steal of that draft.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm a Derek Stepan fan, big one.

But if anyone doesnt think Sauer is the rookie of the year for this team - they havent been watching. Sauer brings it every night and has been extremely solid in a very difficult position to play in this league. Every time hes been called upon to step up his game and take on more minutes, hes done it.

Great year for him.

IMO Stall is the best. Sauer and Giradi are like a 2a - 2b.

McDonaugh has a lot of room to grow, but his skill set is exciting.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Glad to see the kid getting the recognition he deserves. Now you guys can see why the organization had him pegged as a 1st round selection in his draft year.

I'm still a little leery about the lack of puck moving abilities though. Sauer makes a great first pass, McD and Staal are very confident in rushing the puck, and Girardi has a decent shot from the point, but none of them really look totally comfortable on the PP. Though, to be fair, Sauer and McD haven't gotten a really long look there.

I think McD and Sauer will be one of the best 2nd pairings in the league if the organization can lock them up for a few years. I still think Girardi could be moved at some point to get a better puck mover to play with Staal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:52 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Staal > Girardi > Sauer > McDonagh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>McCabe > Eminger > Michael Del Zotto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matt Gilroy
OP not crazy, but too tunnel vision on Sauer.

Refining ^, IMO:
Staal >>>> Girardi >> Sauer >> McDonagh >>>>>>Matt Gilroy >>Eminger>> > Michael Del Zotto >>>>>>>>McCabe

(sorry, he will recover, but MDZ lost his mojo this yr)..

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Sticky Fingers

He's not better than Staal, no way. But he's having a season waaaay over expectations. Him and Mcdonaugh has proven them self that they are the real deal. Both are future top pairing shut down material if they continue to develop. Love watching them.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If the Rangers could find a way to bring in a legit top pairing defenseman over the next few years, you could have a super solid second pairing of Sauer and Girardi. Put Staal with the other horse and McIlrath on the 3rd pairing, with McDonaugh for instance.

Thats some backbone right there.

Del Zotto better get his act together next year...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I wouldn't say that Sauer is our best defender.

I would say that he has been far and away our most consistent defender (our rock back there).

I, for the life of me, have trouble of thinking of terrible defensive plays the kid makes. They just are non-existent.

The difference is that Staal and Girardi are A LOT better than Sauer. I think Staal does just about everything, and against some of the top offensive forces night in and night out. He has struggled some times, but we have to remember he is only 24ish and still growing. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if Staal can max out at 10ish goals a year. He is by far our best defender, although Sauer has been the most consistent.

03-14-2011, 12:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Sauer is built like a brick house the guy looks like a linebacker on skates. He's not slow though, he's actually a pretty decent skater and he thinks the game well. He jumps in at the right time, he's got a slight edge to his game in his own zone, he plays the right side, I love him. I've been waiting a long time for him to make it in NY, I'm glad he's finally arrived!. I really think he's going to stick a round for a long time and that he's making Girardi expendable.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
mullichicken25

sauer has been great

however staal is our best dman all day long, but thats nothing against sauer

staal is near the top of the league

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
sauer has been great

however staal is our best dman all day long, but thats nothing against sauer

staal is near the top of the league
Just curious, top of the league in terms of what?

Purely defense? Which I would agree with

Or all around game? Which I definitely don't agree with.

EDIT: Not trying to cause trouble, just looking for a deeper interpretation.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Just curious, top of the league in terms of what?

Purely defense? Which I would agree with

Or all around game? Which I definitely don't agree with.

EDIT: Not trying to cause trouble, just looking for a deeper interpretation.
purely defense

theres plently of room for improvement in his offensive game

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
purely defense

theres plently of room for improvement in his offensive game
Ok thanks man.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think McD and Sauer will be one of the best 2nd pairings in the league if the organization can lock them up for a few years. I still think Girardi could be moved at some point to get a better puck mover to play with Staal.
IMO Girardi would be moved to get a top6 or to restock the cupboards. If it's the latter, use his cap space to sign a ufa for a PMD/PPQB, i.e. Pitkanen, Kaberle, Hannah, Ehrhoff, etc. or a top6 talent.

IMO this offseason wouldn't be a bad time considering:
1) The return we could get for DG
2) The emergence of Sauer and McD
3) How well Teck and Vtank are playing in CT
4) MDZ, hopefully to have a bounce back year.
5) McCabe and Eminger as two veterans that really only want to play for us could slot in as cheap #6 or #7 veteran defenders.

Basically, NY's blueline is stacked with stay-at-home defenders and there is a bright young future on the horizon. There's going to be a logjam at camp so might as well make room and fill some needs.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
darko

Staal is our best D-man. Girardi is also better than Sauer and that's not a knock on Sauer. I hope those 3 along with McDonagh are Rangers for a long long time.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Ola

Sauer can become a very good D.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
JerseyRangers

Sauer (and McD) have played much better then expected and have made very few mistakes. However, Staal plays 27-28 minutes a game, usually against the top forwards and has been nothing short of excellent this year. Both Sauer and McD have a ways to go before they can play at that level.

This is not a bad thing. If anyone had told me that at the beginning of the season we would be comparing Sauer to Staal I'd have laughed at them or figured that Staal was having a horrible season.

Finally, alot of the success of Sauer and McD can be contributed to how they've been brought along by Torts. He's done a great job managing their ice time and putting them against 2nd and 3rd line players. Another example of the solid coaching done by Torts this year.

Long term I still think McD is going to be better - his skating gives him a slight edge over Sauer. In a year or two those two are going to make up one of the better 2nd pairing d corps in this league!!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Let not all forget that both are due for the Sophmore slump next year!

But on the brightside, at least MDZ will be past his!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
useref15

Alright, so I don't feel too crazy now lol. Seems like everybody here agrees with me that Sauer is just extremely solid. He is my favorite player on the Rangers along with Prust. I see him being just as important being locked up this offseason with Dubi, Cally, and etc.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote