HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps Allow Alzner to Walk if Offer Sheeted?

Old
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Faced with a $3m+ offer sheet, they'd let him walk. I'm damn near sure of that. Why? 1)Orlov, he'll be on this team soon and the organization is very high on him and 2)Cap considerations mixed with getting a 1st and 3rd, which they'd certainly like to use to restock their franchise.
They'd sign him and move someone else. Forget it.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Imo, Alzner has been the Caps best defenseman this year. He's a MAJOR reason for their drastic improvement defensively, and he'll be a Cap for the foreseeable future.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Faced with a $3m+ offer sheet, they'd let him walk. I'm damn near sure of that. Why? 1)Orlov, he'll be on this team soon and the organization is very high on him and 2)Cap considerations mixed with getting a 1st and 3rd, which they'd certainly like to use to restock their franchise.
Not even remotely close to true.

1) Orlov isn't NHL ready, and isn't close to being as good as Alzner is right now
2) Why do the Caps need to restock their franchise? They're loaded with talent that's NHL ready right now.

Alzner's not going anywhere. They'd trade/waive Poti and Schultz before losing Alzner to an offer sheet, if it created that big of a salary cap issue.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Get it done, Doug Wilson!

This is insanely dumb.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Kagee*

One of the top teams could afford to give him a $3.5M - 3.75M per year long term contract.

Because just like the Hjalmarsson's situation, a team only going towards $3M per, I think the team easily matches like Chicago did.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Absolutely not. There is more chance of the Oilers making the playoffs than there is of the Caps letting Alzner walk for $1 million.

In fact, I could see the Caps matching up to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder level.

The difference with Varly is that he's frequently injured and that the Caps have two other goalies that are close to his level.
There is no team that is going to give him that type of money. He is worth 2.5mil max at this point.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
The question is in the title, would the Caps allow Alzy to walk if he's signed to an offer sheet? Saw the Varlamov speculation and am copying that. Why should they spend more than $1M to re-sign him? And at that price, why not take a shot if you're the Isles, TB, Edmonton or the like?

The Caps don't need him with Carlson looking so sharp this season. Plus, it would help their future to grab a couple first rounders or whatever, thoughts?
I thought you actually needed at least four top 4 defensemen? Alzner is a key piece for Washington in a medium term perspective. They'd be fools to let him walk. And I doubt he'll command huge money on his next contract anyway.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
With this comment and your Varlamov talk, you must be one of the most misinformed Bolts posters (and there are more).

First, Alzner is critical to their improvement. Second, Orlov is probably in the AHL next season.

Third, what restocking do they need to do?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
With this comment and your Varlamov talk, you must be one of the most misinformed Bolts posters (and there are more).

First, Alzner is critical to their improvement. Second, Orlov is probably in the AHL next season.

Third, what restocking do they need to do?
Thanks for the personal attack. You completely must be right because they didn't have a 20 year old John Carlson playing this season, or a 20 year old Marcus Johansson playing this season (who hopped in after how many games in the AHL? I think 2, right?), got a response there, Albert Einstein? I must be completely smoking crack and delusional.

Dude, please, stop thinking you know what you're talking about, because you don't, at all. The Caps would entertain letting Alzner walk above $3m if they could get a solid 1st and 3rd back because the organization is concerned about their high level prospects long-term and because it would cause them short term cap issues unless they used a thinner forward corps. Would they prefer to keep Alzner? Yes, but not if someone offered $3.5m or something wild. The question is how deep is their system long-term? They've burned through Johansson, Carlson, Alzner, Holtby etc, quicker than expected, because these guys weren't originally projected to be where they are now. Who's their top prospect outside of these guys and Orlov? Kugryshev, who's having trouble this season? Galiev, who's also struggling this season? Kuznetsov, really, he's the franchise's future? Or is it Perreault? Learn what you're talking about before you insult someone.

Would they, in a perfect world, allow Orlov as much time as he needed to completely adjust and re-sign Alzner at any price? Yes, but this isn't a perfect world and the Caps need to entertain other options beside Mike Green and everyone in the organization knows it.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 03-13-2011 at 09:28 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Thanks for the personal attack. You completely must be right because they didn't have a 20 year old John Carlson playing this season, or a 20 year old Marcus Johansson playing this season (who hopped in after a WHOPPING TWO AHL GAMES, right Albert Einstein? I must be completely smoking crack.

Dude, please, stop thinking you know what you're talking about, because you don't, at all. The Caps would entertain letting Alzner walk if they could get a solid 1st and 3rd back because the organization is concerned about their high level prospects long-term. How deep is their system long-term? They've burned through Johansson, Carlson, Alzner, Holtby etc, quicker than expected, because these guys weren't originally projected to be where they are now. Who's their top prospect outside of these guys and Orlov? Kugryshev, who's having trouble this season? Galiev, who's also struggling this season? Kuznetsov, really, he's the franchise's future?? Learn what you're talking about before you insult someone, especially when that someone's source is a former NHL head scout.

Your post contains the US RDA of fail.
Um actually you have no clue what you are talking about...even fans that barely know anything about our team have pointed out that you just don't get it in regards to Alzner. Basically all the statements you made above about the caps are completely wrong.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Um actually you have no clue what you are talking about...even fans that barely know anything about our team have pointed out that you just don't get it in regards to Alzner. Basically all the statements you made above about the caps are completely wrong.
You didn't bother to address a single point of the post you referenced. That's because you have no refutation, you don't know and don't want to admit it. It's cool, I get it, fan enthusiasm, etc, but admit you're talking about what you hope happens, not what you have legit info on, because they're two very different things. We all have blinders on about our home team and this thread appears to be a prime example of that.

People are really over-crediting Alzner here. The whole team has played differently. How many years before this season have you seen Semin giving the unselfish defensive effort and battling for loose pucks like he has been the last few weeks? Alzner has been good defensively but he has not been a magic bullet. I think anyone who's watched even 1 game of this team last year and 1 this year can tell the whole ideology is different.

Old
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Thanks for the personal attack. You completely must be right because they didn't have a 20 year old John Carlson playing this season, or a 20 year old Marcus Johansson playing this season (who hopped in after how many games in the AHL? I think 2, right?), got a response there, Albert Einstein? I must be completely smoking crack and delusional.

Dude, please, stop thinking you know what you're talking about, because you don't, at all. The Caps would entertain letting Alzner walk above $3m if they could get a solid 1st and 3rd back because the organization is concerned about their high level prospects long-term and because it would cause them short term cap issues unless they used a thinner forward corps. Would they prefer to keep Alzner? Yes, but not if someone offered $3.5m or something wild. The question is how deep is their system long-term? They've burned through Johansson, Carlson, Alzner, Holtby etc, quicker than expected, because these guys weren't originally projected to be where they are now. Who's their top prospect outside of these guys and Orlov? Kugryshev, who's having trouble this season? Galiev, who's also struggling this season? Kuznetsov, really, he's the franchise's future? Or is it Perreault? Learn what you're talking about before you insult someone.

Would they, in a perfect world, allow Orlov as much time as he needed to completely adjust and re-sign Alzner at any price? Yes, but this isn't a perfect world and the Caps need to entertain other options beside Mike Green and everyone in the organization knows it.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. First, Carlson and Alzner were very much projected to be where they are right now. So was Johansson, come to think of it. To think that Holtby is going to stay in the NHL full time because of a hot streak is ludicrous, and to think that the Capitals would drop Alzner in someone else's lap, a young DFD riddled with instinct and talent, an anchor on one of the league's best defenses at a young age, for a younger PMD not ready to crack the NHL yet is perhaps equally ridiculous.

Alzner shouldn't (and likely won't) go anywhere. They wouldn't trade him for Pronger, they're not going to let him walk after a 3M offer sheet. He's a top 5 pick from just three drafts ago, and he's been developing, and more importantly, proving that he can win.

And then you've got the laughable underselling of Kuznetsov, who for damn near everyone else, is one of the top prospects in the NHL to watch for. Respecting Orlov, who proved a ton at the WJC's, and then talking about Kuznetsov like he wasn't even deserving of the first round pick is just stupid. Guys like Carlson, Alzner, Varlamov, and Johansson are graduating from prospect status, but funny enough, they're still going to be on the team for a while, and they're still going to keep growing. They keep drafting talent (I assume you have no idea who Cody Eakin is, which doesn't surprise me), and they're retaining first round picks, which they've apparently got a great success rate with.

You really don't understand this organization.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Wow, you just proved Chimaera completely correct with this post. I struggle to find any point here that's got an ounce of validity.

Old
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Yeah, I have no idea that you like Cody Eakin because is both "fast" and "hard-working", but undersized and your favorite team already has an undersized center as a high prospect, Perreault, cough. I know, I know, they're not really the same type of player. Perreault really is more of a playmaker. Just knowing a name of a third-rounder doesn't mean Jack Squat. The team is better defensively and winning more close games because of a change in the system, ALL the players are being held defensively responsible, which never happened in the previous seasons under BB. I beg you to argue that point with me.

I have a feeling I was on the radio and writing as an expert about the NHL before you watched a game. But hey, I could be making all this up, and you could be right, and the sky could also be bright green

Last edited by BadHammy*: 03-13-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
You didn't bother to address a single point of the post you referenced. That's because you have no refutation, you don't know and don't want to admit it. It's cool, I get it, fan enthusiasm, etc, but admit you're talking about what you hope happens, not what you have legit info on, because they're two very different things. We all have blinders on about our home team and this thread appears to be a prime example of that.

People are really over-crediting Alzner here. The whole team has played differently. How many years before this season have you seen Semin giving the unselfish defensive effort and battling for loose pucks like he has been the last few weeks? Alzner has been good defensively but he has not been a magic bullet. I think anyone who's watched even 1 game of this team last year and 1 this year can tell the whole ideology is different.
the goal of this game is not to amass picks and prospects for the future, but to win the game

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yeah, I have no idea that you like Cody Eakin because is both "fast" and "hard-working", but undersized and your favorite team already has an undersized center as a high prospect, Perreault, cough. I know, I know, they're not really the same type of player. Perreault really is more of a playmaker. Just knowing a name doesn't mean Jack Squat. I have a feeling I was on the radio and writing as an expert about the NHL before you watched a game. But hey, I could be making all this up, and you could be right, and the sky could also be bright green
Huh?

Who said anything about Cody Eakin or Mathieu Perrault?

Your random blabbering doesn't change the fact that neither your suppositions about the organization, nor your conclusions drawn from them, are anywhere close to correct.

Old
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Huh?

Who said anything about Cody Eakin or Mathieu Perrault?

Your random blabbering doesn't change the fact that neither your suppositions about the organization, nor your conclusions drawn from them, are anywhere close to correct.
Ok brother, you got it. Good night.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

...and point further proven.

You know very little about the organization and can't come up with anything that makes any sense.

Go ahead, take your ball and go home.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Yeah, I have no idea that you like Cody Eakin because is both "fast" and "hard-working", but undersized and your favorite team already has an undersized center as a high prospect, Perreault, cough. I know, I know, they're not really the same type of player. Perreault really is more of a playmaker. Just knowing a name of a third-rounder doesn't mean Jack Squat. The team is better defensively and winning more close games because of a change in the system, ALL the players are being held defensively responsible, which never happened in the previous seasons under BB. I beg you to argue that point with me.

I have a feeling I was on the radio and writing as an expert about the NHL before you watched a game. But hey, I could be making all this up, and you could be right, and the sky could also be bright green
Or perhaps because he was one of the best Canadians at the WJC, plays a high tempo, strong two way game, and, oh, this thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Eakin placed in the top three in five categories of the WHL Eastern Conference poll: top face-off man (first), best skater (first), most accurate shot (second), opposing player you most respect (second), best pro prospect (third behind Schenn & Nugent-Hopkins).
By the way, with a little margin for error, Eakin is as tall as Sidney Crosby, with years to tack on adequate muscle before he finally has to face NHL competition.

You've still failed to address Kuznetsov's massive underrating, or give us any reason why amassing a strong prospect pool is the end all of organizational strength.

Where Alzner is related, he's THE shutdown defenseman on this team. He logs his minutes against top opposition, and he doesn't let them score. You should know, if your icon is any indicator, since he's been held responsible for St. Louis and Stamkos all season. Is it all Alzner? No. But if Alzner is gone and you've got Shaone Morrisonn back in the lineup, this team isn't as good, and Alzner is only getting better. Between he and Carlson, they impact the team defense more than Green, Hannan, Schultz, or anyone else on the blueline.

Of course, this is something like the third or fourth (maybe more) Washington prospect you've underrated to suit your own needs in this thread.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For the most part (outside of maybe Kuznetsov), the foundation of the Caps for the next 5-10 years is already in Washington. Eakin and the others might be contributors, but they most likely aren't players that you'd make room for.

They've got Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Johansson up front; Green, Alzner, and Carlson on defense, and Neuvirth, Varlamov, or Holtby in goal. The rest of the pieces will probably be relatively fluid and change several times over the long term.

So yeah, the Caps don't need to make building a deep prospect pool a major priority. It's a luxury. They're trying to win now, and the pieces I cited above will keep them in the 'win now' window for a while.

Alzner's a former top-5 pick that's progressed exactly as the organization has hoped. He's not far from becoming a dominant defensive defenseman that shuts down one side of the ice. They'd likely match any offer that'd be realistically made and happily move on with Alzner as a major contributor to their success.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:

Most of your other points have been addressed by some of the other posters in this thread, but I have a question for you. How many other legitimate contending teams have something like this on the not so distant horizon? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_STpfISpqA A potential, and I stress the word potential, star center iceman with elite level skill? I'll answer the question for you, not too many. Kuznetsov would be a good foundational piece for a lottery bound team, let alone a team about to win it's fourth straight division title.

The rest of the Caps prospect pool is also a lot stronger than you are intimating, but that's a story for another day.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:

I apologize for the attack (if saying you're misinformed is one I guess), but you're so far off from the mark, there's really no hope in providing any sort of convincing response. I'm not sure you're smoking crack, but you're certainly not in the realm of reality.

The only way they take a 1st and a 3rd is if they magically get a top 3 overall back. It might not even be true this season, if they don't think there's a sure fire stud there.

What do you mean they don't have prospects? Because they're in the NHL, it doesn't mean they magically disappeared or aren't part of the future. If you take off Hannan and Knuble from the roster, they're one of the youngest teams in the NHL. This is without Orlov, Kuznetsov, Eakin and a few others they have hope for.

They're beyond the rebuild. I know it's hard for a TB fan to understand, who has only seen crap drafting (beyond the top overall picks) and terrible GM's until this season (where they've still had no real track record of player development to see yet).

The Caps are not going to let their talented young players magically walk.

If you don't want to believe that. Fine. If it makes you sleep better hoping the Caps are magically going to get worse, enjoy. You're just delusional.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:36 PM
third man in

Quote:

Expert? please... from reading your gems in this thread you appear to be on a Mike Millbury level of "expert".

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Robert Theodorson

Threads like these make me wonder who's going to be the GM who gets on everybody's **** list this year, there are some incredible RFAs this year and the next.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:

Hmmm well I guess don't actually need to rip to shreds each of your statements because its all ready been done. But seriously if every single person on here is pointing out that you have no clue what you are talking about....you might want to think about it.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote