HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton at the draft with OTT and BOS or NJ

Old
03-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Live from Rexall

vCash: 500
Edmonton at the draft with OTT and BOS or NJ

With the standings looking like this:
1.Edmonton 55
2.Ottawa 59
3.Colorado 60
4.NYI 65
5.Florida 65
6.New Jersey 68
7.Atlanta 70
8.Boston Via Tor 70

If Ottawa falls to 3 and knows that Colorado wants the same person as Ottawa Do the Oilers swap 1st for 3rd and 33rd?

Then do you try and swap LA's 1st and 31 and 33 to say Boston or NJ? Then NJ could Forfeit the first and keep 2 second rounders?

Just wondering what people think of this?

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
teh avs will likely finish last.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Live from Rexall

Gonna be tough to beat an Oiler squad with Hall,Hemsky and Gagner on the shelf. And whoever else hits 42 points and succombs to the 2010/2011 curse!

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from Rexall View Post
Gonna be tough to beat an Oiler squad with Hall,Hemsky and Gagner on the shelf. And whoever else hits 42 points and succombs to the 2010/2011 curse!
the oilers beat the avs 5-1 on march 5th.

our starting goalie is stinky elliot

staz
hejduk
mueller
flash
liles

out amongst other scrubs

worst team in hockey the past 20 games , two more meetings between oil and avs in which i expect 4 points to go to edm's favor.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
NJD28

I don't see Jersey giving up this year's pick if it's in the top 10 or so, regardless of how this year's draft is perceived. The talent drop-off looks to happen after the top eight or so (Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, Murphy, Hamilton, Siemens, Strome, Huberdeau) and have to think NJ will add one if they have the opportunity to do so.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Mikey71

It would take more than the 3rd and 33rd to get the 1st overall for a couple of reasons. First, there is a status of picking first overall and a stigma of dealing it away. It has to take something special to give it up if you have it, more than it would take to move up 2 spots elsewhere in the draft order.

Secondly, the Oilers in the 1st spot are guaranteed to get the guys they want. Apparently the guy Ottawa and Colorado want is Landeskog. So, the trade is made and Landeskog goes to Ottawa, so Colorado moves to plan be and potentially picks the guy the Oilers wanted. Now what? You think the Oilers make that trade for that little return? I doubt it. Now if the Oilers pick 1st and Ottawa 2nd, I could see some kind of deal that guarantees Edmonton not take Ottawa's guy, but I bet that deal would appear to be a deal in it's own. My bet is that any deal between the 2 teams, especially if Colorado is between them in the draft order involves Nashville's 1st too.

Mikey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

No way Boston trades down, they lack young elite talent with the exception of Rask, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci and Bergeron although they really aren't elite yet. I think the Tor pick will be in 6-8 range and I doubt any of the elite forwards will be there but Boston is a little shallow on their defensive prospect pool so I can see either Murphy, Hamilton or Siemens go to BOS.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Out of Murphy, Seimens or Hamilton, I would take Hamilton. He seems very well rounded and looks to be a solid future top pairing D-man, Murphy lacks size and I know he has been heavily scouted by BOS but I just think BOS goes with the bigger more versatile D-man in Hamilton.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
SensFan26

Ottawa won't be trading picks to move up in the draft, especially since their guy (Landeskog or Nugent-Hopkins) will still be on the board.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
teh avs will likely finish last.
Edmonton has a tougher schedule, is 5 points back of Colorado and Colorado has 2 games in hand. Good luck.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
4thliner*

Ottawa isn't going to deal their 2nd round pick to move up if they are picking anywhere in the top 4, especially in the top 3. One of Landeskog, Larsson, Nugen-Hopkins will be available.

It is stupid to trade pick 30-33 just for preference. That pick could be a big chip in order to get into the top 10 AGAIN using it and the Nashville 10-14th pick and try to snag Strome/Huberdoue

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
New Jersey can only foreit their own pick and it won't be this years. Unless they make the playoffs.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Edmonton has a tougher schedule, is 5 points back of Colorado and Colorado has 2 games in hand. Good luck.
The Avalanche have one win in their last 19 games (1-16-2), are on the road for the next three games (which could produce zero points), and just lost Stastny, Liles, and Hejduk to injury.

For the purposes of this thread, it's a bold assumption that the Avalanche are heading into the draft at #2 or #3. There's clearly a better than average chance they pass the Oilers.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
The Avalanche have one win in their last 19 games (1-16-2), are on the road for the next three games (which could produce zero points), and just lost Stastny, Liles, and Hejduk to injury.

For the purposes of this thread, it's a bold assumption that the Avalanche are heading into the draft at #2 or #3. There's clearly a better than average chance they pass the Oilers.
What? There is A chance they pass the Oilers, but it's still more likely they don't. Since the last time we faced the Avs we have lost Penner, Hemsky, Gagner, and Hall, so the injuries are fairly similar. For us to gain 6 points with 2 less remaining games would still be pretty tough. If we assume the Avs and Oilers split their last 2 meetings, it seems pretty unlikely. The only way I see it happening is if the Oilers somehow win both the last 2 meetings, and even then I wouldn't say it's a guarantee with the Oilers schedule.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
SDig14

Also, for the Sens fans, why are people so sure they won't try to move up if they somehow finished 3rd last? I'm not saying I know one way or another, but last year they traded their 1st for a prospect they really liked and the year before that they tried to trade up to take Kadri, couldn't get it done, and it probably turned out well that they didn't, because IMO they got the better long-term player.

That being said, if Murray is still in charge, he's definitely not shy in trying to get things done on the draft floor. If we assume they want one of Landeskog or RNH, there is really no guarantee either of them will be available at number 3. Colorado has 2 great centers, just lost their PWF, and just acquired their potential 1D, so Landeskog could be a target, and who knows what the Oilers will do.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't see the Devils trading down if they miss the playoffs, or even if they make the playoffs and get bounced early. If they make it into the playoffs and into the conference finals, then they will forfeit their pick. I don't see any scenario where the Devils are willing to trade down so far.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
rockinghockey

If Edm has the 1st over all they are not going to trade that away. Fans had another hard year and the 1st over all will help a bit.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
8BostonRocker24

IMO, right now, the top-4 picks are all worth about equal value.

NOW, 5 years from now I will look back and laugh at that statement, because (IMO) one or two of the top-4 picks will become either a 1st line forward (or in Larrson's case, top-pairing) while the other two or three will be nothing special.

The question is which one of the top-4 will become that player, that's the tough part.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Pyke*

Well, Edmonton will pick either Larsson or RNH.

Colorado would pick Landeskog or Larsson, they already have Duchene/Stastny.

This means it doesn't really affect Ottawa much. I want RNH, but I don't think people would be unhappy with Larsson or Landeskog if RNH is off the board.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

The first part I agree with, the second I wouldn't be too sure about. Avs like to draft BPA and if they think RNH is it, then I see Pracey and his scouting crew telling Greg Sherman to announce Hopkins' name at the podium (assuming Edm-Col-etc. draft order and Larsson picked first overall), center depth be damned.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
the oilers beat the avs 5-1 on march 5th.

our starting goalie is stinky elliot

staz
hejduk
mueller
flash
liles

out amongst other scrubs

worst team in hockey the past 20 games , two more meetings between oil and avs in which i expect 4 points to go to edm's favor.
Cogliano
Brule
Fraser
O'Marra

That is the Oil's centre depth (as it stands) to finish off the season, throw in the fact the top 2 wingers are gone too and we've got a pairing of Strudwick and Foster (clearly trying to see if two negatives can make a positive...).

I think it's safe to say last place officially goes to Edmonton

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:56 PM
JustinCider

it's funny seeing people argue which team is worse right now, the Avs or the Oil. Doesn't really matter, there is no clear cut number 1, and Edmonton would be fine with any of the top 4.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Colorado might want to draft Larsson.

They don't need a center... Ottawa and Colorado could both possibly be interested in Landeskog.... I think Colorado is best off either getting Larsson or Landeskog(if they had a choice) and Ottawa needs to go for the best center available.... so I really can't imagine them fighting over this kinda stuff.

Since Edmonton could go with either D-man, which Colorado might be interested in or a center, which Ottawa might be interested in; it's more likely that they could pay Edmonton to fall back a spot or two to make sure that they get their guy instead of Edmonton... I don't see competition between Ottawa and Colorado for who's picking who...and I certainly hope Edmonton would make them cough up more than a 2nd rounder to move down if they really wanted to draft Larsson and believed they were moving down to give him up.

As for Boston(Toronto's) and New Jersey's 1st rounders.... I think it's safe to say that Toronto's will be 7th or 8th(New Jersey will surely pass them)

New Jersey's will likely end up between 9th and 11th.

L.A's will end up being past 20th.

I don't think Jersey is going to deal their first rounder...if they choose to pick it this year... remember they've gotta choose a year to be stripped of their first rounder because of the Kovalchuk contract... but I'm pretty sure they'll wanna take the best d-man available. There will most likely be a quality defenseman still available at their draft position.

As for Toronto's pick.... If Edmonton drafts Larsson with the first overall pick I could only see them being desperate to get ahold of Toronto's 1st rounder if Strome is still available.

L.A's 1st and Edmonton's 2nd rounder isn't going to be anywhere near enough to get Boston to move down that much, because in this year's draft the difference between 7th and 20th+ is like the difference between a pinto and a corvette IMO. Not saying 7th overall is going to be a superstar, but the difference in potential with such picks is simply night and day.

Edmonton could possibly get lucky by offering prospects such as Petry or Marincin to sweeten the pot... I'm really not sure if that would be enough to sway Boston. Petry is probably 2 years off from being a 2nd pairing d-man... while the bigger and younger Marincin will easily be at least that before playing such minutes.

Can't see Edmonton breaking the bank at this draft unless they're unloading roster players to move up in the draft or acquire additional 1st rounders.... but there aren't a lot of options there. Edmonton's been dangling Hemsky, Coglino and Smid for the last while, but it isn't likely that the later two are going to land Edmonton what they're looking for.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:49 AM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

This means it doesn't really affect Ottawa much. I want RNH, but I don't think people would be unhappy with Larsson or Landeskog if RNH is off the board.
I disagree I think they'll pick

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:16 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
it's funny seeing people argue which team is worse right now, the Avs or the Oil. Doesn't really matter, there is no clear cut number 1, and Edmonton would be fine with any of the top 4.
True... but drafting Landeskog makes Edmonton's future a little more complicated. They're either forced to have one of Eberle or Landeskog to play center... or they're forced to trade Hemsky.

Eberle, Hemsky and Landeskog is just way too much on the right wing for Edmonton to be packing around considering their lack of depth at center.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote