HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton at the draft with OTT and BOS or NJ

Old
03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Ottawa isn't going to deal their 2nd round pick to move up if they are picking anywhere in the top 4, especially in the top 3. One of Landeskog, Larsson, Nugen-Hopkins will be available.

It is stupid to trade pick 30-33 just for preference. That pick could be a big chip in order to get into the top 10 AGAIN using it and the Nashville 10-14th pick and try to snag Strome/Huberdoue
This. The only way Ottawa uses their 2nd rounders to trade up (assuming we pick in the top 3) is if we are trading up the NSH pick. Most Sens fans would be happy with any of the top 4 (RNH, Larsson, Lando in particular). If we pick 3rd, we're guaranteed to get one of those 3 players. If EDM is first, I'm betting they pick Larsson. If that happens and COL is picking 2nd, I'm sure they pick Landeskog. Then the Sens get RNH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Also, for the Sens fans, why are people so sure they won't try to move up if they somehow finished 3rd last? I'm not saying I know one way or another, but last year they traded their 1st for a prospect they really liked and the year before that they tried to trade up to take Kadri, couldn't get it done, and it probably turned out well that they didn't, because IMO they got the better long-term player.

That being said, if Murray is still in charge, he's definitely not shy in trying to get things done on the draft floor. If we assume they want one of Landeskog or RNH, there is really no guarantee either of them will be available at number 3. Colorado has 2 great centers, just lost their PWF, and just acquired their potential 1D, so Landeskog could be a target, and who knows what the Oilers will do.
See above.

As for trying to trade up for Kadri, I agree that its good we didn't, as Cowen is looking to be the better prospect. But where is there anything documented that we tried to trade up for him? Because Burke told Murray that the Leafs were taking Kadri? So what?

Any way you slice it though, it should be an interesting draft for Sens fans.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Also, for the Sens fans, why are people so sure they won't try to move up if they somehow finished 3rd last? I'm not saying I know one way or another, but last year they traded their 1st for a prospect they really liked and the year before that they tried to trade up to take Kadri, couldn't get it done, and it probably turned out well that they didn't, because IMO they got the better long-term player.

That being said, if Murray is still in charge, he's definitely not shy in trying to get things done on the draft floor. If we assume they want one of Landeskog or RNH, there is really no guarantee either of them will be available at number 3. Colorado has 2 great centers, just lost their PWF, and just acquired their potential 1D, so Landeskog could be a target, and who knows what the Oilers will do.
Like I said BEFORE, one of Larsson, Landeskog, Nugen-Hopkins will be available guaranteed. Couturier too. Forget Ottawa finishing 3rd, even if they somehow lose the lottery and finish 4th, I still would not move up.

If the scene you proposed unfolds, is easy, if Edmonton takes RNH and Colorado takes Landeskog....Ottawa will gladly take Adam Larsson and deal with their surplus of stud dman prospects. Or might take Couturier there to play behind Spezza.

They still hold Nashville`s pick meaning they could easily move into top 10 if Nashville misses using some of their three 2nd round picks to grab Stome or Huberdoue

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Like I said BEFORE, one of Larsson, Landeskog, Nugen-Hopkins will be available guaranteed. Couturier too. Forget Ottawa finishing 3rd, even if they somehow lose the lottery and finish 4th, I still would not move up.

If the scene you proposed unfolds, is easy, if Edmonton takes RNH and Colorado takes Landeskog....Ottawa will gladly take Adam Larsson and deal with their surplus of stud dman prospects. Or might take Couturier there to play behind Spezza.

They still hold Nashville`s pick meaning they could easily move into top 10 if Nashville misses using some of their three 2nd round picks to grab Stome or Huberdoue
I agree sitting tight and taking the BPA at 3 is probably the smart move, but fans don't necessarily speak for their GMs. It is very conceivable that Ottawa could have 2 guys ranked well ahead of the other 2, and if there is a risk that they think they may lose both picking at 3, they may want to guarantee they get a player they like more. It's not like Murray's job is certain, and sometimes GMs do desperate things.

If the situations were reversed, I would rather the Oilers just keep 3 picks in the top 33 and have 3 bullets, or try to move up the 2nd 1st round pick, which I'm sure we will try to do with LAs as well, I just don't think it's the idea of Ottawa trading up is a complete write-off like some Sens fans seem to portray.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
4thliner*

Isn`t Edmonton the team that would kill for at the chance to draft a big playmaking power center who can score?

That is 6-4, 6-5 Sean Couturier who is also excellent defensively at a young age.

That is the kinda guy I wanna run with the free wheeling Hall.

I would not go for another smallish shifty center in Edmonton, they don't seem to have luck with that type much. See Gagner, Sam.

If you wanna be a top team you gotta have quality and size up the middle and in the backend.

If they strikeout on Landeskog to play with Spezza next year, a team like Ottawa could spot the smallish Nugen-Hopkins behind the 6-3 220 lb Spezza on the 2nd line, which would not be as bad. But probably not next year. Or they can go for Coutourier and have 2 real big top centers up the middle.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 03-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Cujomi
De leeuw op voetbal

Landeskog is a left winger. He can play C and R, but he's a LW.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
This. The only way Ottawa uses their 2nd rounders to trade up (assuming we pick in the top 3) is if we are trading up the NSH pick. Most Sens fans would be happy with any of the top 4 (RNH, Larsson, Lando in particular). If we pick 3rd, we're guaranteed to get one of those 3 players. If EDM is first, I'm betting they pick Larsson. If that happens and COL is picking 2nd, I'm sure they pick Landeskog. Then the Sens get RNH.

See above.

As for trying to trade up for Kadri, I agree that its good we didn't, as Cowen is looking to be the better prospect. But where is there anything documented that we tried to trade up for him? Because Burke told Murray that the Leafs were taking Kadri? So what?

Any way you slice it though, it should be an interesting draft for Sens fans.
Ya, it's gonna be a very exciting draft, AGAIN for the Oilers, and this year for the Sens as well.

Well, it was a little more than Burke simply saying they were taking Kadri...Murray started that convo by saying "We will flip you..." before he got cut off by Burke, and then Burke asked him if Kadri was the guy they wanted he said "yes", so I think it was pretty clear he was trying to trade up for him, perhaps for a 2nd or 3rd, but that is pretty speculative.

Regardless though, I guess I just found it interesting most fans were 100% dismissing the idea of trading up, even though it's far from certain.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Isn`t Edmonton the team that would kill for at the chance to draft a big playmaking power center who can score?

That is 6-4, 6-5 Sean Couturier who is also excellent defensively at a young age.

That is the kinda guy I wanna run with the free wheeling Hall.

I would not go for another smallish shifty center in Edmonton, they don't seem to have luck with that type much. See Gagner, Sam.

If you wanna be a top team you gotta have quality and size up the middle and in the backend.

If they strikeout on Landeskog play with Spezza next year, a team like Ottawa could spot the smallish Nugen-Hopkins behind the 6-3 220 lb Spezza on the 2nd line, which would not be as bad. But probably not next year. Or they can go for Coutourier and have 2 real big top centers up the middle.
Tough to say, but I have tough time believing they take Couturier at #1, if that's where the Oilers pick ends up being.

IMO, they will take one of Larsson or RNH, but that's just a gut feeling.

Either way, there are TONS of scenarios for the draft, so it should be pretty exciting. If the Oilers do end up picking 1st, we won't have any idea until the pick is made because zero information gets out of management.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Jamin

Unless RNH is the best player available by a mile I dont see how he is even in the discussion. If all the players are similar value go with the huge center or huge dman not the midget center so your top 6 consists of RNH and Gagner

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:37 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Ya, it's gonna be a very exciting draft, AGAIN for the Oilers, and this year for the Sens as well.

Well, it was a little more than Burke simply saying they were taking Kadri...Murray started that convo by saying "We will flip you..." before he got cut off by Burke, and then Burke asked him if Kadri was the guy they wanted he said "yes", so I think it was pretty clear he was trying to trade up for him, perhaps for a 2nd or 3rd, but that is pretty speculative.

Regardless though, I guess I just found it interesting most fans were 100% dismissing the idea of trading up, even though it's far from certain.
Leaf fans (not saying that you're a Leaf fan necessarily) want to think that that is what happened, but it's just as possible that Murray played Burke into thinking that we wanted Kadri, knowing that Burke would try to swipe him up from under our noses, so he could get Cowen.

And like it appears, it looks like we lucked out there.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Leaf fans (not saying that you're a Leaf fan necessarily) want to think that that is what happened, but it's just as possible that Murray played Burke into thinking that we wanted Kadri, knowing that Burke would try to swipe him up from under our noses, so he could get Cowen.

And like it appears, it looks like we lucked out there.
Well, I guess I just find it a lot more likely that he was serious, but perhaps we will never know until he is fired and can speak freely.

Old
03-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from Rexall View Post
Then do you try and swap LA's 1st and 31 and 33 to say Boston or NJ? Then NJ could Forfeit the first and keep 2 second rounders?
Realistically it depends on the position of LA's first round pick. Currently it's at #22, but could be anywhere from 14-30 by June.

But for conversation's sake, let's assume #22. Don't think the value is there for the Devils, hypothetically with the #6 pick, to trade down for 22/31/33. Would rather have the opportunity of one of Strome/Huberdeau/Hamilton/Murphy than gamble that you can do better with three later picks.

Just a couple trades as templates:

2008: LA trades #17 and #28 to Anaheim for #12.
2009: NYI basically trades #26, #37 for #16. Then they trade #16 and #77 for #12.

And there are years where teams simply do not have any interest in trading out of the top tier. In 2007, there was a perceived top tier of 6 (Kane-JVR-Turris-Voracek-Gagner). St. Louis was at #9 and wanted to trade up to get Voracek. They offered #9 and #24 to move up but were rebuffed.

But the trade as you proposed it does look somewhat reminiscent of a trade down that worked out okay for the Devils in 1990: Devils — Traded 1990 first round pick (#11-Trevor Kidd), 1990 second round pick (#32-Vesa Viitakoski) to Flames for 1990 first round pick (#20-Martin Brodeur), 1990 second round pick (#24-David Harlock), 1990 second round pick (#29-Chris Gotziaman) on 1990-06-16

Devils whiffed with the later picks anyways. Generally its best to take quality over quantity.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Well, Edmonton will pick either Larsson or RNH.

Colorado would pick Landeskog or Larsson, they already have Duchene/Stastny.

This means it doesn't really affect Ottawa much. I want RNH, but I don't think people would be unhappy with Larsson or Landeskog if RNH is off the board.

I predicted at the start of last year that Taylor Hall will be a Oiler -Check
At the start of this year I predicted that Adam Larsson will be a Oiler-?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote