HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If the Coyotes move to Winnipeg...

Old
03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The ONLY reason Doan would demand a trade would be to avoid uprooting his family. That means living in LA or Dallas and flying home every chance he gets. No reason to ask for a trade to Vancouver. He'd just go to Winnipeg.
Not sure how many here saw the Sportsnet story about Brent Sopel and how he has been trekking back and forth between Atlanta and Chicago this season to see his wife and 3 young children (under age 10). It takes its toll on the family to be apart. It kind of made sense for Sopel to leave his family in Chicago this year because he probably knew (and rightfully so), that his time in Atlanta would likely be limited to this 1 year. No reason to uproot them if he wasn't going to be in the new city for the long haul to finish up his career. That's why he said he was hoping to stay long term in Montreal.

To do that Sopel would need to take less money to secure the term and NTC, so that would have to be a sacrifice he would have to make. Whether it is in Montreal or another city. He needs to trade a lower salary for a NTC.

For Doan, he has 1 more season with a cap hit and salary of $4.55 million. After he is UFA, but if the new CBA keeps that 35+ clause, he could find a long term deal hard to get in the summer of 2012. He would turn 36 in October of 2012, so how much longer does he have left? If he gets traded in the off-season would the acquiring team extend him so that he knows which city he will be in to finish out his NHL career? Would it be too risky for the team to commit cap space to a 35+ player, not knowing how that rule would be applied in the new CBA?

I'm sure Doan doesn't want to go through what Sopel has gone through this year, moving from ATL to Mon and likely to another city in the fall. If Doan gets moved, I'm sure he'd want it to be his final destination. Again, like Sopel, trade off salary for NTC.

Phoenix is a major hub, so getting direct flights into the city should not be too much of an issue wherever he ends up. But, in the West, there is enough travel to deal with, so to lose off days for travel, not to mention rest for an older player, will be hard to do.

Last edited by Street Hawk: 03-13-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I would not be shocked if he simply retired.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
It would be interesting to see what happens with Bryzgalov. Would he sign in Winnipeg? Would he stay in a warm place? I don't know.
Idk if he'd want to be somewhere where 8 months of year is snow, like North Pole, and minus turdy two.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:32 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Phoenix is still gonna get a team, just like AHL, ECHL or under, Doan will probably pull a Mike Keane and do that.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:23 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
They shouldn't and won't. Of course, if Phoenix really wants one last "F-U" to Winnipeg they'll trade most of the teams and have the Jets stuck as a lottery team for the next 3 years.
Trades need to be "ok'd" by the league. Once they decide the team is moving I am sure they wont be allowed to make any trades. What exactly did Winnipeg do to deserve a "F-U" anyways? It's not their fault the coyotes was run into the ground by idiots and not supported by the fans.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
ducky

I actually can see Doan playing the final year of his contract in Winnipeg THEN retiring. Might be a neat way for his family to see him finish his career - where it started.

Don't see him moving to many other cities. He has his horse ranch. Kind of hard to move that. And I know Edmonton anc Calgary have horse ranches but I doubt it is the same (for the horses that is).

I worry about Bryzgalov. An in demand UFA. He will have his choice of cities to live and work in.

One consideration - Phoenix is a good hockey team. IF it moves to Winnipeg they will still have a great coach and a great GM. It makes it easier to attract players to your market when you are winning and have a strong organization.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If Doan was signed for 3 or 4 more years, I could see him privately asking for a trade back to the Pacific division.

However, he only has one year left. He'd basically be a rental for Winnipeg and then sign with one of the Pacific teams as a UFA.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
So Winnipeg would get what would resemble an expansion team without a goalie. That sounds like fun.
You can have Khabiboulin back. There, you have your goalie, things are looking up!

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
And why would Bryzgalov be so fussy???

The cold weather.

Edit: Tube video isnt working, but it was him talking about Prongers return to Edmonton.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:24 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
At the draft:

To Minnesota: Ed Jovanovski (rights)
To Winnipeg: Cam Barker

-Barker gets a fresh start with his hometown team and Minnesota gets a chance to negotiate with Jovanovski before he hits the market. I'm using the Hamhuis-for-Parent trade last year as a comparison, except that both Jovanovski and Barker are better than Hamhuis and Parent, respectfully.
I'd do this in a heartbeat as long as you take James Sheppard and Josh Harding with Barker... Sheppard is an RFA but Harding is a solid tender who has been behind Backstrom far too long.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
These players would rather stay in the desert where the team is losing millions because of the "ideal" location...NHLPA should tell those boys they wouldn't be millionaires if it wasn't for the owners paying their cheque!

Just show up and play. If guys can live in places like Edmonton, Detroit, Washington (later two based on the crime) and other none glamourous areas you can live in Winnipeg for 7-8 months of the year too.

I think all Pro athletes are forgetting how fortunate they have it. You want to pick and chose where you want to go...pay your dues and wait till UFA status.

And why would Bryzgalov be so fussy???

Russia isn't to exciting or glamourous to live in, give me a break.
I get where you're coming from with the entitled athlete theme of your post, but I think in this particular instance (Doan) it doesn't really hold water. The guy has put in his dues and then some. Presumably, a major factor in his re-signing long term with the organization was settling down with his family in one spot. I think too many people are latching onto the warm weather versus cold weather aspect of why a player like him wouldn't want to move. When part of the equation that was present at the time of contract signing changes the player has a whole new set of factors to deal with.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
thenextone

If i'm an NHL GM I wont offer anything significant for these guys.

There's very few "country club" teams out there where winning is optional but you can still play a good round of golf every weekend year round. Maybe Florida is interested if Doan is "willing" to move there.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Timmy

Some of you may wish to review the OP, and the forum it's located in.

This thread is about Pheonix trading partners and offers. The Business of Hockey forum has threads on the economics, viability, and makeup of the markets.

Further OT posts in this thread won't be looked upon kindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
There is speculation that veterans like Doan, Whitney, Morris, and Aucoin will ask to be traded (to a team closer to home and their families (LA, ANA, SAN, COL, and DAL, the closest in proximity to PHX.).

In that case, what would you offer for each? There is no reason for PHX to sell low as NTCs and NMCs are irrelevant in regards to the move, but the players certainly have indicated no interest in heading that far north.

Also, Bryzgalov, Yandle, Jovanovski, and Vrbata could very well look to the open market for employment, with Bryz the biggest name, followed by Yandle. Yandle is an RFA, and rumblings are already being heard here his agent is very, very aware of the deal Byfuglien just signed.

So, speculate away.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:41 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Doan to Dallas could be interesting if Richards walks. The Stars are going to have to get to the cap floor somehow. Problem is that they don't really have an expendable, appealing goalie to offer in return. Raycroft could certainly be moved but who's really clamoring for him, right. Vincour could be a cheap (2nd year of ELC) right shooting wing replacement with size + potential and continue the Czech connection the Coyotes seem to have. That doesn't seem like enough though.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Doan to Dallas could be interesting if Richards walks. The Stars are going to have to get to the cap floor somehow. Problem is that they don't really have an expendable, appealing goalie to offer in return. Raycroft could certainly be moved but who's really clamoring for him, right. Vincour could be a cheap (2nd year of ELC) right shooting wing replacement with size + potential and continue the Czech connection the Coyotes seem to have. That doesn't seem like enough though.
Please don't flame me if this is out of line, but I really don't know the answer to this.

As a Dallas fan, what is the value of Glennie? As a Winnipeg boy, IF the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, and IF Doan would like to go to Dallas, could something be worked out with Doan and Glennie? Yes / No, someone needs to add?

Thanks.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Most players won't take a shot at an entire region if they can avoid it. They simply say all the proper non-committal things right up until the moment when they walk, issuing polite platitudes on their way out the door. Bryzgalov would presumably walk immediately as a 2012 UFA. Doan would probably play his final year under contract in Winnipeg, and then inquire about signing in SoCal in July 2013 as a UFA.

Winnipeg could end up being a very successful small NHL market, but it will be based on solid drafting, and signing players whose options elsewhere are limited and who sign there of their own volition. Young players will be elated to be in the NHL, regardless of the city.

Will it be a prime destination for Coyotes currently under contract? Probably not, but there are only 30 cities from which to choose, and most players can't be excessively choosy. Just the veteran stars with plenty of options. It might be that Winnipeg, like Edmonton, has some difficulties attracting free agents unless they pay a premium and/or a player's options elsewhere dry up given market proclivities that year.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Please don't flame me if this is out of line, but I really don't know the answer to this.

As a Dallas fan, what is the value of Glennie? As a Winnipeg boy, IF the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, and IF Doan would like to go to Dallas, could something be worked out with Doan and Glennie? Yes / No, someone needs to add?

Thanks.
That's a good idea, didn't think of that angle. I doubt anyone would have to add under that scenario. That's quite a lot of value going back to the Coyotes especially considering their reduced leverage if Doan wants to stay in proximity to the southwest.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
He'll have to move regardless. No California team will want him and Dallas can't afford him.
and why would no california team want him?
the dude is a duck killer..

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Most players won't take a shot at an entire region if they can avoid it. They simply say all the proper non-committal things right up until the moment when they walk, issuing polite platitudes on their way out the door. Bryzgalov would presumably walk immediately as a 2012 UFA. Doan would probably play his final year under contract in Winnipeg, and then inquire about signing in SoCal in July 2013 as a UFA.

Winnipeg could end up being a very successful small NHL market, but it will be based on solid drafting, and signing players whose options elsewhere are limited and who sign there of their own volition. Young players will be elated to be in the NHL, regardless of the city.

Will it be a prime destination for Coyotes currently under contract? Probably not, but there are only 30 cities from which to choose, and most players can't be excessively choosy. Just the veteran stars with plenty of options. It might be that Winnipeg, like Edmonton, has some difficulties attracting free agents unless they pay a premium and/or a player's options elsewhere dry up given market proclivities that year.
Good points. Well said.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:40 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What are you willing to add to Parise?

Yandle never should've been included in this thread. He's RFA NOT UFA and Phoenix would just match any offer sheet. He's got zero leverage. If the Coyotes relocate to Canada, Yandle better buy a ****ing parka because he's got no choice.
You think if the team moves they'd give him a Byfuglien-type contract? Speculation is WPG would be a mid-cap team at best its first few years. At ~$5M per that would commit >$20M to just 6 d-men, and it's another $14M for the 6 forwards under contract plus the buyouts. That's 12 players and $34M. That leaves ~$16M for 10-11 players.

Plus Turris, Boedker, Korpi, MacLean and Tikhonov are also RFAs.

Personally, I think he's a guy you build your team around but money could be an issue. And he'd return a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd if he gets an OS at ~$5M. That's why I put him on the list.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:11 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Yandle won't be moved that be completely stupid on the Yote's part.. If he was to be traded it would have to be for a elite young player

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote