HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Projections for big 6 RFA contracts?

Old
03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
ct2111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
It's probably just me but i cringe when i see Stafford at 4/yr. 3.75 per. It might be on target, but all i can think of is Connolly, Hecht and Pominville. Which in my view are all grossly overpaid. 2 yr. at 3.75 per, maybe better, but i know i know he will walk away from 2 yr deals etc .... I just don't like it. He will be the hardest contract to swallow this off season IMO.
Pominville was coming off a 80p season and they paid him like a 70-80p guy. Hecht was coming off a 50p season exiting his prime and they paid like he was entering his prime. Connolly was well worth his contract in the first half of the season before he got another injury. I think Regier paid Pominville and Hecht purely based on their season before. So if Regier believes he can repeat tgat (40 goal pace) he'd get 4.5-5m. If he is a consistent 30-30 guy 3.75m would be a steal.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Same here.

I have a feeling Stafford's contract talks will be difficult. Stafford never suffers from a low self esteem and iirc had a mini hold out for a recent deal when he had little leverage. Now that he has leverage, I expect him and his agent to use it to the fullest.
then he can take his contract year performance and go steal another team's money

Jeremy2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I think you guys are aiming too low on Weber. I'd offer him at least 3 years, if not more. You have to take some chances and lock in some guys cheap for long term. With Weber's style of play and my perception of his character, I don't think you are going to have drop off in his level of play. (Goalies and scorers can be flukey and inconsistent, but stay-at-home defensemen tend to be more consistent, as long as they have a good work ethic and positive attitude.) Therefore, I lock him up for a while. If he continues to play at his current level for another year, his value will will increase significantly.
I don't think Weber would want a 3+ year at this point in his career. He's still young, so he'll probably want to keep his options open just in case. If we can lock him up long term then I'd love to though.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Ruman Ndur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Paul Hamilton was talking about $5 million per for Stafford this week. I don't know about that but anyone think we're looking at a Roy-type contract for him?
His saying that was in reference to what he thought he might get if it goes to arbitration. Since recent arbitration awards have been so skewed compared to market value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Stafford should be looking at $3.5 Million per possibly less. He brings slightly more offense than Ryan Clowe but with less "other stuff" (intangibles? ).
Clowe's contract was signed 2 years ago, inflation sucks.

Last edited by Ruman Ndur: 03-14-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Ruman Ndur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I think you guys are aiming too low on Weber. I'd offer him at least 3 years, if not more. You have to take some chances and lock in some guys cheap for long term. With Weber's style of play and my perception of his character, I don't think you are going to have drop off in his level of play. (Goalies and scorers can be flukey and inconsistent, but stay-at-home defensemen tend to be more consistent, as long as they have a good work ethic and positive attitude.) Therefore, I lock him up for a while. If he continues to play at his current level for another year, his value will will increase significantly.
This.

I think with the new ownership group we have the chance to lock up some guys we feel will become important pieces over a longer term. We should do that much like a lot of other teams do with great success.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote