HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs made the right move with Chipchura

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Habs made the right move with Chipchura

Hey Habs fans. Been meaning to post this since the draft, but I keep forgetting!

I wanted to let all you folks know that I think that Andre Savard made the right selection here with Kyle Chipchura. I know some wanted the more 'sexy' pick in a Robbie Schremp or a Wojtek Wolski, but Chipchura I feel is going to just 'get the job done'. He has been compared to Joel Otto, and any who watched Otto in his prime would tell you that Otto was about as key as you can get in the Flames' success in the late 80's and early 90's.

Guy Flaming did an excellent bit on him from his point of view, but I am much higher on Chipchura than Guy is. I see a potential second, maybe even first line centre in him someday. His offensive ability is raw, but I strongly feel that it's there - just hasn't yet broken through.

Anyhow, hope you guys are happy with him. I think he's the Habs best prospect at the moment actually, as Perezhogin's potential is in question at the moment due to other circumstances. He's the one guy I really wanted my Canucks to trade up for.

I see him as something like a Rod Brind'amour, 60 - 70 point-man in the NHL for a long, long time.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Traitor8

Another Chipchura thread?

what about another Kovalev or line-up thread.

I'm sorry but we have to many threads about the SAME thing.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I agree that he was an excellent pick-up, but i still dont see him as being ahead of guys like Perez, Kastit, and Higgins. However thats not to say that he cant become our top prospect one day. Its possible, higly unlikely, but very posible!

At max, imo, i think Chipy will become a very good second liner who can pot 20-25 goals, but obviously that just pure speculation. Like with all prospects, developement can go any way.

Old
07-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I agree that he was an excellent pick-up, but i still dont see him as being ahead of guys like Perez, Kastit, and Higgins. However thats not to say that he cant become our top prospect one day. Its possible, higly unlikely, but very posible!

At max, imo, i think Chipy will become a very good second liner who can pot 20-25 goals, but obviously that just pure speculation. Like with all prospects, developement can go any way.
Sorry, forgot too add.....

Thanks for the input!

Old
07-04-2004, 09:40 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

That's the way we welcome mods on our board. :lol

Old
07-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Brett38

Quote:

Doesn't matter how many posts there are on the same topic, just choose the posts you want to add to. Whether its negative or positive, they are accepted here.

I've been a Habs fan for 39 plus years. I read everything and make my own decisions. If there are 100 posts on the same topic, I'll just choose the one that I want to make a reply. For your answer Mooch, I thought Chipchura would be drafted before # 18. I am quite pleased with this pick. You can't lose on this type of player. More importantly now is who will Gainey sign as a UFA to fill the other wing position with Zednik and Koivu?
I think Hossa will be given every chance to make this team full-time, but not on the first line...I could be wrong.

We'll have to wait and see!

Old
07-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Brett38

Sorry, I think it was Jay Thompson that I was replying to for this post. Sorry Mooch!

Old
07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Kirk Muller

Chipchura was one of my favourites from the start, but personally like many, thought he would be gone by time Montreal picked.

His offensive game is so underrated its not even funny anymore. People have automatically assumed because he played in the WHL that he is simply a grinder. When people hear he is a "safe pick" they assume 3rd liner. Some Hab fans also seem to find a correlation in that Chipchura will be a bust because past hab picks from the west were bust, which can only leave you shaking your head.

His character and work ethic will take him a long way in this league. Whether his offensive game translates in the pros, I don't know, but that can be said for every prospect. He has the hockey sense, and with his size and skating with his other intangibles, he will be an important player.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
I'm right on that.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
Doesn't matter how many posts there are on the same topic, just choose the posts you want to add to. Whether its negative or positive, they are accepted here.

I've been a Habs fan for 39 plus years. I read everything and make my own decisions. If there are 100 posts on the same topic, I'll just choose the one that I want to make a reply. For your answer Mooch, I thought Chipchura would be drafted before # 18. I am quite pleased with this pick. You can't lose on this type of player. More importantly now is who will Gainey sign as a UFA to fill the other wing position with Zednik and Koivu?
I think Hossa will be given every chance to make this team full-time, but not on the first line...I could be wrong.

We'll have to wait and see!

I agree completely on Chip Brett, except for being picked before 18th. As for they type of player he is, hes exactly what we needed!

Old
07-04-2004, 10:07 PM
db23

The irony of it all is that what they hope for him to develop into is Radek Bonk, a 60 to 70 point scorer who is a good defensive centre, and a solid team player.

Bonk was available at the age of 28, in the prime of his career for a 3rd round draft pick. Why bother drafting these guys and waiting years for them to possibly develop into someone like Bonk?

Old
07-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
The irony of it all is that what they hope for him to develop into is Radek Bonk, a 60 to 70 point scorer who is a good defensive centre, and a solid team player.

Bonk was available at the age of 28, in the prime of his career for a 3rd round draft pick. Why bother drafting these guys and waiting years for them to possibly develop into someone like Bonk?
It wasen't just a third round pick, but also a potential number 1 goalie. How many people have an "extra" potential number one goalie, not many by my count!

Old
07-04-2004, 10:10 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
It wasen't just a third round pick, but also a potential number 1 goalie. How many people have an "extra" potential number one goalie, not many by my count!
Well, L.A. acquired him for a 3rd round pick just the day before. If they traded him for the 77th overall pick, I'm sure they would have traded him for any other 3rd rounder.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

If Bonk was a leader and as intense as Chipchura, he would have cost much more than a 3rd.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Well, L.A. acquired him for a 3rd round pick just the day before. If they traded him for the 77th overall pick, I'm sure they would have traded him for any other 3rd rounder.
Ture, but then maybe the Sens were just desperate, and how many teams have the money for a 3.5+ mill third line C. Not many. The sens had to get rid of Bonk to make room for Speeza or possibly another free agent C with more skill for the first line. Also sometimes you just dont get fair value. The Bonks dont come every day for third rounders imo. They are difficult to get.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

If Bonk was available, it was mostly because the Sens didn't want to qualify him so they would have lose him on the free agent market. After that, they wanted to give more ice time to Spezza. And if you ask me, if Chipchura turn to be anythink near Bonk, I will be so happy. While Bonk is a good player, he have a lack of hart and passion to the game. Chipchura have that so if he turn to be a Bonk, we will have something!!!

Old
07-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
If Bonk was a leader and as intense as Chipchura, he would have cost much more than a 3rd.
DB23 doesn't understand leadership and intensity, there are no stats for those.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Marmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
other than 2+2=4 DB23 seems to have hard time to catch anything else

Old
07-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:

Why is it these multiple threads about the same player keep certain posters up at night. When you see Chipchura or Kovalev in the title just keep on scrolling.

It was nice to read a post that was nothing but positive about a pick that some Habs fans find very questionable.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:39 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I liked the Chipchura pick he was a safe pick we needed a great guy with a lot of leadership that scares of nothing.He will do anything to win hit,scores goals,make beautiful pass (creat somme offence) he can also drop the gloves ! He is
A big, strong 2-way centre with some offensive upside but who many project to be a third liner in the NHL. Chipchura’s biggest asset is his strength, which makes him an ideal checking forward and a good penalty killer. He’s a player who is solid in all areas of the game but doesn’t really stand out in any one specific aspect.So time will tell if Chipchura's was a good pick I hope that he'll have a very good season next year in the WHL without injuries but his offensive abilities are so UNDERRATED IMO let's not forget that he had a injurie and maybe thats disturb him a little bit.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
If Bonk was available, it was mostly because the Sens didn't want to qualify him so they would have lose him on the free agent market. After that, they wanted to give more ice time to Spezza. And if you ask me, if Chipchura turn to be anythink near Bonk, I will be so happy. While Bonk is a good player, he have a lack of hart and passion to the game. Chipchura have that so if he turn to be a Bonk, we will have something!!!
Bonk simply isn't an overtly emotional player which people take as lack of heart or passion. He plays within a system, and a system in Ottawa with a very complacent coach. He was developed in an organization that comes across this way, to always remain in control.

As much as people compare Julien to Martin, they couldn't be more different on so many levels. Julien is a firey coach who drives his players, and Montreal has players in Koivu, Ryder, Zednik, Begin, Souray, Rivet who are emotional leaders who outwardly show their feelings. I think Montreal will be good for him, he will be surrounded by these types of player whereas he got caught in Ottawa with too many similiar players to himself.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:41 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
You're right.

Old
07-04-2004, 10:53 PM
MissCanuck

Well I'm happy the Habs picked Chipchura. Since people question his offensive ability, I got a question, and a comparison, of the #18 and #1 picks offensive numbers.... Chipchura played 64 games and had 48 points (he was also injured), Ovechkin played 53 games and had 23 points (healthy as far as I know). Don't know a whole helluva lot about either league but numbers don't lie... Or do they? Ovechkin is praised for his scoring ability yet he did no better than Chipchura and didn't put up better numbers either. Go figure. So really, guess we'll all just have to wait and see what he's capable of

Old
07-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCanuck
Well I'm happy the Habs picked Chipchura. Since people question his offensive ability, I got a question, and a comparison, of the #18 and #1 picks offensive numbers.... Chipchura played 64 games and had 48 points (he was also injured), Ovechkin played 53 games and had 23 points (healthy as far as I know). Don't know a whole helluva lot about either league but numbers don't lie... Or do they? Ovechkin is praised for his scoring ability yet he did no better than Chipchura and didn't put up better numbers either. Go figure. So really, guess we'll all just have to wait and see what he's capable of
The scoring throughout different leagues can`t really be compared, Ovechkin was playing with Men in Russia. While Chipchura would`ve been playing with guys his own age, If this was the case players from the very high scoring QMJHL would all be taken in the first round. But like you said I`m also happy with Chipchura he may have slipped alittle in the second half but I think we got a pretty good player in him. I guess only time will tell

Old
07-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCanuck
Im pretty sure these were to completely different leagues. Chip is good, but Ovechkin is just incredible, no comparison what so ever. Ovec is much, much, much more talented, and is nhl ready unlike chippy who is still a few years away. Not just that, but Ovehkin could make an impact next season and finish tops in rookie scoring!

Closed Thread