HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
When did Price become a rookie again?

So you are saying a good prospect + 1st round + mid near prospect is not a good package?

If we have learned anything during this deadline, it is that the price of PMD are high, from the past couple of years we have noticed the goalie market is dry. What do you expect to get?
Halak a 1B goalie . Not that great. Granted he gets the job done and he is on an injury filled team got a 1rst with only what he did in playoff's. And Price was drafted 5th overall and seems to be a legit Top 5 goalie is only going to get the package you offered ? Yea that is likely.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Heatly, Niemi, 1st gets it done

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Heatly, Niemi, 1st gets it done
That's pretty awful for San Jose.

Price is not nearly enough of an upgrade over Niemi to garner the Sharks' leading point scorer and 1st as well.

Unless this is a clever ruse and my sarcasm detector needs a tweakin'.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
shao01

Probably a little more than what Halak got

So a
- very good prospect(JVR or Eberle maybe?)
- a good prospect plus a mid-1st
- two good prospects

Even though he is worth more, the above is what he is likely to get so the Habs are better off if they hold on to him

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shao01 View Post
Probably a little more than what Halak got

So a
- very good prospect(JVR or Eberle maybe?)
- a good prospect plus a mid-1st
- two good prospects

Even though he is worth more, the above is what he is likely to get so the Habs are better off if they hold on to him
Neither of those players are prospects.

Both are legitimate NHL players.

JVR has over 135 NHL games under his belt.

Eberle is getting 17~ minutes a night in EDM.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, Price has done one thing now that Halak never did... he has shown remarkable consistency while being a workhorse #1 goalie for a full NHL season. He has really helped to solidify that "thoroughbred" label with his season thus far.

But he still needs the playoffs. I think maybe though the value of his full season of rock-solid top-level play might trump Halak's miracle run, at least in the minds of an NHL GM trading for a young #1 goalie.

Anyway, even if he did put in a great playoff showing and essentially double up Halak's value thereby, it's still not something the Habs would accept in a trade.

And no other team needs to give up that much for a goalie either. Goalies grow on trees, and any team that wants/needs one will find a reasonable facsimile far far cheaper.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Goalies never get that big of a return in trades .. Remember Luongo, Huet, etc?

At most, he'd fetch a return similiar to Kaberle's.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Price won't be traded unless it's for an overpayment and Montreal would have to be in a total collapse and the decide to totally rebuild, but given his age, contract, potential and the way he plays, I'd be willing to wager that he gets a huge return.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
FanHabtic

There's no point speculating as there no way he would ever be traded at this point in time. Its like asking the value of Marc Staal. It would take a massive overpayment for a trade of Price to be made.

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Prairie Habs

Well if Mike Smith got Brad Richards... (gets out calculator)... four Crosbys and change.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
scottyG

In the situation Montreal is in the only way Price gets traded is for a player like Crosby,Ovie,Stamkos.

If Montreal had another goalie his value would be more than what Halak got, so something like: Pietrangelo, Schenn, etc. Basically a player coming back who should at best be a top line player or at worst a top6/top 4 player

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
davenash

I can't even imagine how angry I would be if the Habs would trade Carey for a prospect and a 1st pick.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM
FanHabtic

Does anyone remember when we traded the wrong goaltender last off-season?

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:35 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Price isn't going to be traded but if it happens Ottawa would give Montreal Robin Lehner, Jared Cowen, Nick Foligno and Nashville's 1st.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:55 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

If we understand that this will never happen and this thread is 'all in good fun,' I think Price needs another year like this one to maximize his trade value. He's been great and then horrible in the past. There were major questions (with everyone but the geniuses, not sarcasm, in Montreal) about him this off-season.

That, and the apparent devaluing of Goalies probably hurts his current value.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:13 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Luongo had accomplished more than Price when he was traded for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld. The goalie market is even weaker now.

Do the math.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Luongo had accomplished more than Price when he was traded for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld. The goalie market is even weaker now.

Do the math.
The package that Florida recieved for Luongo is hard to evaluate though. Auld was looking like he could be a legitimate number one goalie at that time. Allen was looking like he could end up a top pair guy, which he did not, and Bertuzzi was a question mark, as he was a dominant power forward prior to the Moore incident and hadn't played since. I think its safe to say that Florida expected Bert to be a 30-40 goal guy, not a 5 goal guy with a bad back. If Bert did end up being a 30 goal power forward, which is what was expected, that deal doesn't look nearly as bad as it does today.

That said, there is no market for goalies. Montreal wants to keep him, which is good, because the best goalies in the world would be lucky to get a good return in trade, and that includes Carey Price.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Rob Zepp

If Carey Price plays in the playoffs consistent with his overall playoff record to this point in his career, perhaps this insane amount of overhype will die back down and Montreal fans can go back to demonstrating in the streets over the decision to keep him over Halak.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Imagine with the local crowed :O
The same local crowd who booed Price in preseason and are now swinging from his nuts and declaring him a Hart shoe-in?

It is almost comical now.

I got my balls busted by Hab fans in Oct trying to defend Price because of his age, now Hab fans would only consider moving him for Crosby.

You just have to laugh I guess... I dunno... it's sad and funny at the same time I guess.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Price looked really good on Saturday, well he always seems to keep his best for the Penguins but Saturday you knew nothing was getting by him. I hope we don't play the Habs this year cause if he gets hot, they will be a hard team to deal with

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
If Carey Price plays in the playoffs consistent with his overall playoff record to this point in his career, perhaps this insane amount of overhype will die back down and Montreal fans can go back to demonstrating in the streets over the decision to keep him over Halak.
What "insane amount of overhype" do you mean? Where is it? Price is Montreal's best player this season, and one of the top 10 netminders in the NHL this season. He's also quite young in goalie years. Do you disagree with any of those statements?

His performance this regular season has not been consistent with any of his previous regular seasons either, so I don't see why one would look for parallels with his playoffs. His playoff evaluation is in any event likely to be complicated by playing for an underdog team, a team which is likely to be overmatched by its first round opponent, and which may therefore not have a very long playoff run regardless of how Price performs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
eightyseven

Montreal would be insane to trade Carey Price right now at age 23 when he's having a MVP season. Goalies don't garner much in return anyway. Price has pretty much carried this team on his back this season. Plus, Mtl management (Pierre Gauthier/Bob Gainey) are in love with Price and see him as a long-term investment. PG even made the bold decision of trading Halak at the height of his career/popularity in Montreal because he had a lot of faith in Price.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
What "insane amount of overhype" do you mean? Where is it? Price is Montreal's best player this season, and one of the top 10 netminders in the NHL this season. He's also quite young in goalie years. Do you disagree with any of those statements?

His performance this regular season has not been consistent with any of his previous regular seasons either, so I don't see why one would look for parallels with his playoffs. His playoff evaluation is in any event likely to be complicated by playing for an underdog team, a team which is likely to be overmatched by its first round opponent, and which may therefore not have a very long playoff run regardless of how Price performs.
I agree he has been Montreal's best player many nights. I agree he is knocking at the for being a top 10 in the league this season.

The "young in goalie years" means nothing. Players have different maturation processes...some are far better at 22 than at 28....others far better at 38 than 25.

I don't "get him" in terms of the sudden every fifth main board thread being related to him. He is a good goalie but there are many better in the league. Moreover, he hasn't even finished this season yet and already he is better than goalies who have had five to ten solid seasons in a row?

I simply don't "get" the hype. If he continues through playoffs in a consistent form and then well into next season, he will crack into that current top 10 likely but beyond that, he is a number of seasons away.

Again, good goalie...but the hype is far overdone.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Price looked really good on Saturday, well he always seems to keep his best for the Penguins but Saturday you knew nothing was getting by him. I hope we don't play the Habs this year cause if he gets hot, they will be a hard team to deal with
Price just plays good against the Penguins probably because he played his first NHL game against them. I hope we play them in the playoffs

I would never think of trading Price, but if its for fun, i guess it would take a #1 capable goalie and a top forward, or some other massive overpayment by the other team IMO

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
I agree he has been Montreal's best player many nights. I agree he is knocking at the for being a top 10 in the league this season.

The "young in goalie years" means nothing. Players have different maturation processes...some are far better at 22 than at 28....others far better at 38 than 25.

I don't "get him" in terms of the sudden every fifth main board thread being related to him. He is a good goalie but there are many better in the league. Moreover, he hasn't even finished this season yet and already he is better than goalies who have had five to ten solid seasons in a row?

I simply don't "get" the hype. If he continues through playoffs in a consistent form and then well into next season, he will crack into that current top 10 likely but beyond that, he is a number of seasons away.

Again, good goalie...but the hype is far overdone.
I've read all your posts in this thread. If anything, you look as biased as some Habs fans here, but with an opposite agenda.

I'm not going to argue too much about stats, but there is no way a goalie that is first in games played & wins is on the outside looking in the league's top-10. The guy currently is being considered for the Hart, and even if I don't want him nominated (not good for his next RFA status), he probably deserves it.

Exactly which 10-12 goaltenders are clear-cut ahead of him in your unbiased mind? Howard? Bryzgalov? Quick? Not convinced...

Also, if you're wondering about the hype, a good direction to look at is how a 23-year old G was able to keep his team in the playoffs without its best offensive and defensive D-men.

Last thing, when you poorly tried to assess Price's puckhandling skills, that is the very moment you lost pretty much any credibility you still had going for you. He's always been advertised as Brodeur-like with the puck. I can't say I disagree, though he still has to learn some, mainly concerning his decision-making, because the soft hands are already there.

Price has better hands and a crisper shot than Tom Pyatt.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote