HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stat trends since the New Year

Old
03-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Stat trends since the New Year

Some fun with stats on a Monday morning:

Since January 1st "Mini-tron" -
Ennis - 32 GP, 8 goals, 17 assists, 25 points, -1
Gerbe - 27 GP, 8 goals, 6 assists, 14 points, +5
(Byron - 8 GP, 1-1-2, Even)

Tyler Myer has been much better as a defenseman in the last four months. Currently, he has 57 turnovers on the year... at one point in early November he had over 30, and was league-worst. He's now 20th in the league (overall) and behind the following defensemen:

Luke Schenn
Tom Gilbert
Francois Beauchemin
Duncan Keith
Erik Karlsson
Brent Burns
John Carlson
Tomas Kaberle
Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty
Victor Hedman

Myers has also gone 5-10-15 / even over the 32 games since the New Year.

Pominville haters look away -- 32 GP, 11-14-25 / +8 since January 1st

Vanek haters look away -- 31 GP, 12-23-35 / +8 since Jan. 1st.

03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
nothing for the Miller-haters?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I will happily take 1/2 of a sophmore slump as opposed to a full on one.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Pominville's stats aren't that great. That's about the same pace he usually produces at. He has played fairly well for the most part the past couple months though.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
ct2111

Gaustad has been pretty effective too: 7G/8A/15P in 31GP, that's a solid 40P pace over a full season, something he's never done. However his PIM have gone down considerably, maybe that has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Pominville haters look away -- 32 GP, 11-14-25 / +8 since January 1st
No taking anything away from Pominville, because he's been great, but that's right around his career stats, so it's nothing special.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:44 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Stats don't count when it comes to Miller, so I've been told.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Any goal against seems to rankle them. However...

29 games played, 16-8-4, .914 S% (837 saves on 916 shots). He's had three games off and been relieved once in the last 32. 1535:18 minutes played, 79 GA for @ 3.09 GAA.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
A lot of the team has really picked it up since the New Year, which correlates to all the wins we've been getting since then. It's good to see. I'd definitely rather make it into the playoffs this way than starting off hot and cooling down at the end of the year.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Pominville's stats aren't that great. That's about the same pace he usually produces at. He has played fairly well for the most part the past couple months though.
People were all over him for the weeks after returning from the concussion. Some even seem to have it that he's not scoring any goals... How it's possible to watch games and come to this conclusion remains one of the great mysteries of the world, but hey, hitting for his typical averages since Roy went down is pretty good.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Vanek haters look away -- 31 GP, 12-23-35 / +8 since Jan. 1st.
and being away from Derek Roy the entire time has nothing to do with it.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
and being away from Derek Roy the entire time has nothing to do with it.
Anyone hear the interview with Ruff the other day where he said (when specifically asked) that he'd still put Vanek back with Roy when Roy comes back?

Edit: It's in this interview at the 14 minute mark: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/37401840/3...?pageid=401026

Last edited by aceface33: 03-14-2011 at 11:26 AM.
aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Anyone hear the interview with Ruff the other day where he said (when specifically asked) that he'd still put Vanek back with Roy when Roy comes back?

Old
03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

With a continued hot streak Ennis could legitimately re-enter the ROY contest....

Only a few points back of Couture and like six on Skinner... he is the hottest right now.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post

Edit: It's in this interview at the 14 minute mark: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/37401840/3...?pageid=401026
He doesn't say that he will put them back together, he says that he doesn't have to split them up, and it's not a slam dunk either way.. He said it "gives you more options."

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
He doesn't say that he will put them back together, he says that he doesn't have to split them up, and it's not a slam dunk either way.. He said it "gives you more options."
That's true, I just remembered him saying that his first choice for Vanek's center would be Roy and thinking "Noooooooooooooo"

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
murdoq

i'd rather have a big, hard working center who does not dangle as much as roy centering vanek. just like gaustad but more naturally skilled.

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Gaustad has been pretty effective too: 7G/8A/15P in 31GP, that's a solid 40P pace over a full season, something he's never done. However his PIM have gone down considerably, maybe that has something to do with it.
A big factor in Goose's success is his ice time. He has averaged roughly 16 min a night in those games.

Quote:
No taking anything away from Pominville, because he's been great, but that's right around his career stats, so it's nothing special
Thats one way to look at it. Another is he has been a catalyst for Vanek's jump in production. In the game Roy was injured and first two games after Vanek was held pointless. Then Jan 1st Pommer was put on the wing opposite Vanek. Pommer had a 4pt night (2g 2a) and Vanek had a 2pt night (1g 1a). Including that game Vanek then went on a 16gm tear scoring 9g 14 23pts.

I think Pommer's role in Vanek's resurgence is overlooked by many. In the game Roy was hurt and the following 2 games Pommer had 1g 3a 4pts. He was the hot hand and was put with Vanek to try to get him going. Since Vanek was working on a 7gm pointless streak prior to getting put with Pommer.

Pommer had been finally playing well after his concussion. He had gotten his game on track in the 13gms prior to getting put with Vanek. He had 5g 6a 11pts (4g 3a in the 10 games prior to Roy's injury) in those games with points in 10 of the 13gms.

Pommer got his game back on track well before the team's surge after the 1st of the year. When you add in those 13 games prior he has 45gms 16g 20a 36pts (a 29g 37a 66pts pace). I agree those are his normal numbers. But I don't think its a coincidence that Vanek took off after getting Pommer as a linemate. They have developed fast chemistry and work well together.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:01 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
People were all over him for the weeks after returning from the concussion. Some even seem to have it that he's not scoring any goals... How it's possible to watch games and come to this conclusion remains one of the great mysteries of the world, but hey, hitting for his typical averages since Roy went down is pretty good.
I have the rick martin card you have posted -- with an autograph.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
zbubble

Quote:
And he doesn't score because he never goes to the net.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:03 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Any goal against seems to rankle them. However...

29 games played, 16-8-4, .914 S% (837 saves on 916 shots). He's had three games off and been relieved once in the last 32. 1535:18 minutes played, 79 GA for @ 3.09 GAA.
Quietly, we are also 7th in the league in GF/Game. Higher Risk system. I'm not at all worried about Miller's stats under this scenario. If our team defense was better, his numbers would be as well. I'm also not convinced he's not still nursing that injury from the beginning of the season.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Quietly, we are also 7th in the league in GF/Game. Higher Risk system. I'm not at all worried about Miller's stats under this scenario. If our team defense was better, his numbers would be as well. I'm also not convinced he's not still nursing that injury from the beginning of the season.

Ta,
Ditto. Taking a cue from some people who typically have reliable insight into that sort of thing, yeah. Just win right now. If it's winning ugly, so be it. Just get there.

Old
03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post

Ta,
We also have by far the lowest percentage of payroll allocated to our top-6 defensemen in the league. It was in a recent THN, so I'm sure others have seen this as well. At the time of the article, Buffalo only had 17.2% of its payroll dedicated to its top-6 defensemen. I think only one other team was under 20%. And if you take out Morrisonn, who is arguably our worst defensemen, that number gets even smaller:

Leopold: 3.000
Montador: 1.550
Myers: 1.300
Sekera: 1.000
Butler: .850
Weber: .550

Top-6 Total:8.250
Team Cap Payroll: 55.77
% Allocation to Top-6 Defensemen: 14.8%

Start investing in the defense and you'll see Miller's numbers go up.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
We also have by far the lowest percentage of payroll allocated to our top-6 defensemen in the league. It was in a recent THN, so I'm sure others have seen this as well. At the time of the article, Buffalo only had 17.2% of its payroll dedicated to its top-6 defensemen. I think only one other team was under 20%. And if you take out Morrisonn, who is arguably our worst defensemen, that number gets even smaller:

Leopold: 3.000
Montador: 1.550
Myers: 1.300
Sekera: 1.000
Butler: .850
Weber: .550

Top-6 Total:8.250
Team Cap Payroll: 55.77
% Allocation to Top-6 Defensemen: 14.8%

Start investing in the defense and you'll see Miller's numbers go up.
That's a little mis-leading. Myers is on an ELC (for 1 more year) and then will get a huge raise.
Sekera, Butler and Webs are all RFAs this year and will be in line for big raises (maybe not Butler).

The point being that the defensive payroll is only so low because they are young, not because they are bad. Put another way, paying $6M to Wade Redden makes the defense more expensive, not better.

EDIT: Don't forget that we had Rivet at $3.5M, and he couldn't play his way out of the press box.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Ditto. Taking a cue from some people who typically have reliable insight into that sort of thing, yeah. Just win right now. If it's winning ugly, so be it. Just get there.
There is a time for analysis and argument and a time to just shut up and watch. We're in that mode right now. Cheer the wins, the goals and the saves. Given where they were in November, this is rapidly becoming one of my favorite seasons since I became a fan.

Something cool is happening here and we have people pushing agendas and picking nits as opposed to going along with it and enjoying it. There's a time to put on your inner-Jerry Sullivan and there's a time to be a fan like you were when you were a kid. Just win baby. At this point, I'm just going to enjoy it. And I could care less if I'm right about things.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats one way to look at it. Another is he has been a catalyst for Vanek's jump in production. In the game Roy was injured and first two games after Vanek was held pointless. Then Jan 1st Pommer was put on the wing opposite Vanek. Pommer had a 4pt night (2g 2a) and Vanek had a 2pt night (1g 1a). Including that game Vanek then went on a 16gm tear scoring 9g 14 23pts.

I think Pommer's role in Vanek's resurgence is overlooked by many. In the game Roy was hurt and the following 2 games Pommer had 1g 3a 4pts. He was the hot hand and was put with Vanek to try to get him going. Since Vanek was working on a 7gm pointless streak prior to getting put with Pommer.

Pommer had been finally playing well after his concussion. He had gotten his game on track in the 13gms prior to getting put with Vanek. He had 5g 6a 11pts (4g 3a in the 10 games prior to Roy's injury) in those games with points in 10 of the 13gms.

Pommer got his game back on track well before the team's surge after the 1st of the year. When you add in those 13 games prior he has 45gms 16g 20a 36pts (a 29g 37a 66pts pace). I agree those are his normal numbers. But I don't think its a coincidence that Vanek took off after getting Pommer as a linemate. They have developed fast chemistry and work well together.
Not exactly sure why you quoted me. I didn't say a negative word about Pominville, still doesn't change the fact that his numbers are fairly standard. In a thread where it's all about stats, that's all that matters. I agree that he's playing well and I agree that he and Vanek have good chemistry.