HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Update:Rol$ton/Conroy

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 02:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Free Agent Update:Rol$ton/Conroy

St.Louis sports personality John Hadley updated his site on Sunday afternoon

According to my sources the demands of Craig Conroy and Brian Rolston has Blues' management looking elsewhere for the time being.

Conroy is looking for a five-year deal for more than $20 million. Rolston is eyeing a four-year deal at around $17 million.

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...70339&size=595

Larry Brooks wrote on Sunday,Conroy was asking for 4 years at $16 million

Hadley wrote Conroy wants 5 years at $20 million

Same neighborhood

Is Conroy worth $4 million per and is it worth the price to give him 4 years when he turns 33 years old soon?

Is Rolston worth $4.25 million per?

Hadley also has some other free agent notes

Old
07-05-2004, 05:18 AM
truewithoutclue

vCash:
These players are on smoke. I would not be handing out any contract for more the 2 years for those types of players. I would like to add Conroy but only for 2 years. No more.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Onion Boy

If that's what they're asking for then forget it. Let them cash in somewhere else for change. The theme for this year should be cheap stopgaps.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:38 AM
True Blue

One would think that if those demands by Conroy are true, then Demitra's price tag cannot be far behind. As it is a fact that the Rangers will probably sign at least 2 or 3 forwards and one defenseman, then if Demitra's price tag is not far away, then why not sign him?

Old
07-05-2004, 12:31 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
If that's what they're asking for then forget it. Let them cash in somewhere else for change. The theme for this year should be cheap stopgaps.
who cares if they are cheap?? as long as the contracts don't hurt the rest of the team due to a cap, then who cares how much $$ dolan spends??

the theme should NOT be 'cheap stopgaps' the theme should be the "RIGHT stopgaps who will help the development of the kids we have'

if they think that balej, lundmark, murray, etc will be better players for playing alongside conroy and rolston then you gotta sign them...i'd much rather give the right guy $4 mil then the wrong guy $3 mil

Old
07-05-2004, 12:32 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
One would think that if those demands by Conroy are true, then Demitra's price tag cannot be far behind. As it is a fact that the Rangers will probably sign at least 2 or 3 forwards and one defenseman, then if Demitra's price tag is not far away, then why not sign him?
because demitra said he doesn't want to play for the rangers...he said on tv in slovakia that no amount of $$ would make him want to play for the rangers

Old
07-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Hockey_Rules

Send a message via MSN to Hockey_Rules
The reason why Conroy wants a long term contract and possibly a no trade clause is because he has a young family and doesn't want to uproot the family in the middle of the season.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Rules
The reason why Conroy wants a long term contract and possibly a no trade clause is because he has a young family and doesn't want to uproot the family in the middle of the season.
if that is the case i wonder if he would take less $$ per year to get the long term security in the city he wants his family to be

Old
07-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Welcome to the world of professional hockey...

Old
07-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Hockey_Rules

Send a message via MSN to Hockey_Rules
He might, but I know he always wanted to play for the Rangers.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
i don't get what all the excitement is over conroy... ESPECIALLY at 4mil/yr. So please, someone enlighten me... i haven't watched too much of him, so maybe i am missing some things... as far as i see, he has had TWO good years... that's it. He put up very good numbers for two years playing on a line with Iginla. I could put up those numbers playing on iginlas line... Also, he is about to turn 33.

so what am i missing? is he a leader? is he a really hard worker? great grinder? amazing faceoff guy? great character?

somebody please help me out because i am failing to see the logic in signing him to the type of deal he wants (though playing with jagr will help anyone's #'s also)

Old
07-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Fotiu22

Quote:
He might, but I know he always wanted to play for the Rangers.
of course he does... he knows the Rangers always overpay players who are in their 30's and on the decline.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
i don't get what all the excitement is over conroy... ESPECIALLY at 4mil/yr. So please, someone enlighten me... i haven't watched too much of him, so maybe i am missing some things... as far as i see, he has had TWO good years... that's it. He put up very good numbers for two years playing on a line with Iginla. I could put up those numbers playing on iginlas line... Also, he is about to turn 33.

so what am i missing? is he a leader? is he a really hard worker? great grinder? amazing faceoff guy? great character?

somebody please help me out because i am failing to see the logic in signing him to the type of deal he wants (though playing with jagr will help anyone's #'s also)
Great leader, good playmaker especially with a guy like Jagr, very hard worker, wants to play here and not a bad faceoff guy. He's a great role model for the kids.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Fotiu22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Great leader, good playmaker especially with a guy like Jagr, very hard worker, wants to play here and not a bad faceoff guy. He's a great role model for the kids.
ok, fair enough...that definitely answers some of my questions... as we have all been saying, signing the right TYPE of ufa's is the key and leader/hard worker/role model sounds good to me, but is he worth $4mil?

Old
07-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
ok, fair enough...that definitely answers some of my questions... as we have all been saying, signing the right TYPE of ufa's is the key and leader/hard worker/role model sounds good to me, but is he worth $4mil?
No, he's not.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
True Blue

It looks like both Conroy & Rolston are looking for at least $4m. The question that has to has to be asked is this. Are either of them as good as Primaue? I say that becuase Prims got a $4m/per deal. Both Conroy and Rolston are looking for similar money. Or is the $4m to be looked at as a benchmark for 2nd/3rd line centers? I would say that it is a bit too much for the 3rd line.

Old
07-06-2004, 11:25 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
It looks like both Conroy & Rolston are looking for at least $4m. The question that has to has to be asked is this. Are either of them as good as Primaue? I say that becuase Prims got a $4m/per deal. Both Conroy and Rolston are looking for similar money. Or is the $4m to be looked at as a benchmark for 2nd/3rd line centers? I would say that it is a bit too much for the 3rd line.
I would use Conroy on the 2nd line with Balej and Lundmark.

Old
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
kazo

Quote:
Neither player is worth that kind of money in this market. Both are good complimentary players on good teams. Both would be awful on a bad team. You could call Primeau a go to guy. I don't think you can say that about Conroy or Rolston.

Old
07-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Here! Here!

A rebuilding team does not need to saddle itself with 31+ year old guys who will be earning big bucks for the next 4 years. We've already got bad contracts for Holik, Kasparaitis and even Jagr.

Old
07-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Here! Here!

A rebuilding team does not need to saddle itself with 31+ year old guys who will be earning big bucks for the next 4 years. We've already got bad contracts for Holik, Kasparaitis and even Jagr.
Agree 100%.

Closed Thread