HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Update:Rol$ton/Conroy

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2004, 02:20 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
Free Agent Update:Rol$ton/Conroy

St.Louis sports personality John Hadley updated his site on Sunday afternoon

According to my sources the demands of Craig Conroy and Brian Rolston has Blues' management looking elsewhere for the time being.

Conroy is looking for a five-year deal for more than $20 million. Rolston is eyeing a four-year deal at around $17 million.

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...70339&size=595

Larry Brooks wrote on Sunday,Conroy was asking for 4 years at $16 million

Hadley wrote Conroy wants 5 years at $20 million

Same neighborhood

Is Conroy worth $4 million per and is it worth the price to give him 4 years when he turns 33 years old soon?

Is Rolston worth $4.25 million per?

Hadley also has some other free agent notes

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 05:18 AM
  #2
truewithoutclue
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
These players are on smoke. I would not be handing out any contract for more the 2 years for those types of players. I would like to add Conroy but only for 2 years. No more.

 
Old
07-05-2004, 10:30 AM
  #3
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
If that's what they're asking for then forget it. Let them cash in somewhere else for change. The theme for this year should be cheap stopgaps.

Onion Boy is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 10:38 AM
  #4
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
One would think that if those demands by Conroy are true, then Demitra's price tag cannot be far behind. As it is a fact that the Rangers will probably sign at least 2 or 3 forwards and one defenseman, then if Demitra's price tag is not far away, then why not sign him?

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 12:31 PM
  #5
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
If that's what they're asking for then forget it. Let them cash in somewhere else for change. The theme for this year should be cheap stopgaps.
who cares if they are cheap?? as long as the contracts don't hurt the rest of the team due to a cap, then who cares how much $$ dolan spends??

the theme should NOT be 'cheap stopgaps' the theme should be the "RIGHT stopgaps who will help the development of the kids we have'

if they think that balej, lundmark, murray, etc will be better players for playing alongside conroy and rolston then you gotta sign them...i'd much rather give the right guy $4 mil then the wrong guy $3 mil

NYR469 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 12:32 PM
  #6
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
One would think that if those demands by Conroy are true, then Demitra's price tag cannot be far behind. As it is a fact that the Rangers will probably sign at least 2 or 3 forwards and one defenseman, then if Demitra's price tag is not far away, then why not sign him?
because demitra said he doesn't want to play for the rangers...he said on tv in slovakia that no amount of $$ would make him want to play for the rangers

NYR469 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 03:04 PM
  #7
Hockey_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hockey_Rules
The reason why Conroy wants a long term contract and possibly a no trade clause is because he has a young family and doesn't want to uproot the family in the middle of the season.

Hockey_Rules is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
  #8
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Rules
The reason why Conroy wants a long term contract and possibly a no trade clause is because he has a young family and doesn't want to uproot the family in the middle of the season.
if that is the case i wonder if he would take less $$ per year to get the long term security in the city he wants his family to be

NYR469 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 04:10 PM
  #9
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Rules
The reason why Conroy wants a long term contract and possibly a no trade clause is because he has a young family and doesn't want to uproot the family in the middle of the season.
Welcome to the world of professional hockey...

Barnaby is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 06:59 PM
  #10
Hockey_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hockey_Rules
He might, but I know he always wanted to play for the Rangers.

Hockey_Rules is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 09:10 PM
  #11
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
i don't get what all the excitement is over conroy... ESPECIALLY at 4mil/yr. So please, someone enlighten me... i haven't watched too much of him, so maybe i am missing some things... as far as i see, he has had TWO good years... that's it. He put up very good numbers for two years playing on a line with Iginla. I could put up those numbers playing on iginlas line... Also, he is about to turn 33.

so what am i missing? is he a leader? is he a really hard worker? great grinder? amazing faceoff guy? great character?

somebody please help me out because i am failing to see the logic in signing him to the type of deal he wants (though playing with jagr will help anyone's #'s also)

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 09:12 PM
  #12
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Rules
He might, but I know he always wanted to play for the Rangers.
of course he does... he knows the Rangers always overpay players who are in their 30's and on the decline.

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
  #13
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
i don't get what all the excitement is over conroy... ESPECIALLY at 4mil/yr. So please, someone enlighten me... i haven't watched too much of him, so maybe i am missing some things... as far as i see, he has had TWO good years... that's it. He put up very good numbers for two years playing on a line with Iginla. I could put up those numbers playing on iginlas line... Also, he is about to turn 33.

so what am i missing? is he a leader? is he a really hard worker? great grinder? amazing faceoff guy? great character?

somebody please help me out because i am failing to see the logic in signing him to the type of deal he wants (though playing with jagr will help anyone's #'s also)
Great leader, good playmaker especially with a guy like Jagr, very hard worker, wants to play here and not a bad faceoff guy. He's a great role model for the kids.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 09:17 PM
  #14
Fotiu22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Great leader, good playmaker especially with a guy like Jagr, very hard worker, wants to play here and not a bad faceoff guy. He's a great role model for the kids.
ok, fair enough...that definitely answers some of my questions... as we have all been saying, signing the right TYPE of ufa's is the key and leader/hard worker/role model sounds good to me, but is he worth $4mil?

Fotiu22 is offline  
Old
07-05-2004, 09:21 PM
  #15
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotiu22
ok, fair enough...that definitely answers some of my questions... as we have all been saying, signing the right TYPE of ufa's is the key and leader/hard worker/role model sounds good to me, but is he worth $4mil?
No, he's not.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 11:09 AM
  #16
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
It looks like both Conroy & Rolston are looking for at least $4m. The question that has to has to be asked is this. Are either of them as good as Primaue? I say that becuase Prims got a $4m/per deal. Both Conroy and Rolston are looking for similar money. Or is the $4m to be looked at as a benchmark for 2nd/3rd line centers? I would say that it is a bit too much for the 3rd line.

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 11:25 AM
  #17
barnaby63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
It looks like both Conroy & Rolston are looking for at least $4m. The question that has to has to be asked is this. Are either of them as good as Primaue? I say that becuase Prims got a $4m/per deal. Both Conroy and Rolston are looking for similar money. Or is the $4m to be looked at as a benchmark for 2nd/3rd line centers? I would say that it is a bit too much for the 3rd line.
I would use Conroy on the 2nd line with Balej and Lundmark.

barnaby63 is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
  #18
kazo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
It looks like both Conroy & Rolston are looking for at least $4m. The question that has to has to be asked is this. Are either of them as good as Primaue? I say that becuase Prims got a $4m/per deal. Both Conroy and Rolston are looking for similar money. Or is the $4m to be looked at as a benchmark for 2nd/3rd line centers? I would say that it is a bit too much for the 3rd line.
Neither player is worth that kind of money in this market. Both are good complimentary players on good teams. Both would be awful on a bad team. You could call Primeau a go to guy. I don't think you can say that about Conroy or Rolston.

kazo is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 03:44 PM
  #19
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
If that's what they're asking for then forget it. Let them cash in somewhere else for change. The theme for this year should be cheap stopgaps.
Here! Here!

A rebuilding team does not need to saddle itself with 31+ year old guys who will be earning big bucks for the next 4 years. We've already got bad contracts for Holik, Kasparaitis and even Jagr.

Chief is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 04:48 PM
  #20
Slewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South Amboy NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Here! Here!

A rebuilding team does not need to saddle itself with 31+ year old guys who will be earning big bucks for the next 4 years. We've already got bad contracts for Holik, Kasparaitis and even Jagr.
Agree 100%.

Slewfoot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.