HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

So what do we now look like

Old
02-28-2011, 02:31 PM
dbhislife

vCash: 500
So what do we now look like

So what does everyone think our team looks like both for this season and moving forward? By my count we currently have something like:

Booth-Weiss-Bergfors
Repik-Reasoner-Skille
Samsonov-Santorelli- Duco
Hordy-Timmins- Mcardle

Kulikov-Weaver
Garrison- Sulzer
Ellerby- Callahan

Dadonov
Higgins
Matthias
Olesz are all out for the year

Am I missing anyone? If not we are going to really suck the rest of the year lol.....

But long term, who do you want? Who don't you want? As has been pointed out we have at least $40 million in cap space. Who would you like to see brought in from the FA class, and do you even think its worth making an effort to be good next year?

My hopes:

Booth-Weiss-Dadonov
Higgins-RNH/Couturier-Bergfors
Skille- Santorelli-Matthias
Mcardle (if he plays well)-Reasoner-Duco

Kulikov-Ellerby
Weaver-Gubranson
Garrison- FA offensive Dman

I think the team would have potential, and would be exciting to watch. We would win a good number of games based on skill if the kids progressed as the season progressed, but the youth would cause some lapses at times. I don't think we would be a lock for the playoffs by any means, but I think a squad like this would have loads of potential and could use a year without expectations to grow together.

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Higgins was traded to the Canucks, Skille is injured, and Repik definitely plays RW btw

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Hopefully next year it's something like this:

Couturier-Weiss-X(top 6 forward acquisition)
Booth-Santorelli-Bergfors
Dadonov-Matthias-Skille
Kennedy-Reasoner-X(enforcer)
Olesz

X(top 4 D acquisition)-Kulikov
Garrison-Weaver
Ellerby-Gudbranson
Sulzer

Vokoun
Clemmer

That would be an exciting young team with a decent offense and a lot of upside. We'd have a solid D and goaltending too. That team could make the playoffs. And it's not too far-fetched right now.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Higgins was traded to the Canucks, Skille is injured, and Repik definitely plays RW btw
Higgins was traded after I made the thread (for some reason I thought the deadline ended at 3pm)...oooops.

Repik- good call I should have known that. I don't know why it slipped my mind as he was playing RW recently with Higgins and Weiss.

Skille- is he out for the season though? I tried to only leave out the people gone for the season. Until Skille comes back we can obviously just call someone up.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
straka91*

They got a decent trap team lol. Wished they would of traded for more goons to make the games interesting though.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post

Dadonov-Matthias-Skille
Olesz

Garrison-Weaver
Ellerby-Gudbranson
Sulzer

Vokoun
Clemmer

That would be an exciting young team with a decent offense and a lot of upside. We'd have a solid D and goaltending too. That team could make the playoffs. And it's not too far-fetched right now.
Couturier plays center though, and from every report I have seen he is the prototype big center. I don't think moving a rookie out of his natural role is a wise idea either, and having him play on the top line from opening night could hurt him long term.

Those two factors are why I had him/RNH on the 2nd line and Matthias moving to the wing (which he has played at times this season). I think long term either of them could replace Weiss on the top line, but putting them on the 2nd to start will protect them a bit while they adjust.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
RainingRats

Quote:

Dadonov-Matthias-Skille
Olesz

Garrison-Weaver
Ellerby-Gudbranson
Sulzer

Vokoun
Clemmer

I have no clue who the top 6 forward acquisition will be since the UFA market is garbage. Tallon has so much money he would be silly not to try to overpay and get Richards. I know it's a long shot but we have a ton of space and he'd fit in perfectly.

I could see Markov or Erhoff on D but I'm not sure anyone wants to sign here. It sucks the UFA crop is so weak and we have so much space.

Kennedy on the fourth? I don't like that. He's too small/not a guy who hits enough. Matthias and Skille are the only guys who hit in our forward group. I think Tallon will look to get someone for the bottom line who is tough and hits.

I think they buy out Olesz. Especially with a severe knee injury unless there's some contractual exception that it can't be done or they have insurance for his contract.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
Couturier plays center though, and from every report I have seen he is the prototype big center. I don't think moving a rookie out of his natural role is a wise idea either, and having him play on the top line from opening night could hurt him long term.

Those two factors are why I had him/RNH on the 2nd line and Matthias moving to the wing (which he has played at times this season). I think long term either of them could replace Weiss on the top line, but putting them on the 2nd to start will protect them a bit while they adjust.
I don't think it's a big deal, a lot of centers are moved to wing early on in their careers and then converted back. The Bruins did this a little bit with Seguin this year, for example. We could move him down to 3rd line and move Matthias to wing, the point is we have options. I just thought having more skill players with Weiss will help the offense in the top 6. I'm sure, especially if DeBoer is still coach, that no lines will remain together too long anyway. If Couturier or RNH show signs of faltering, then the coach whoever he is will adjust accordingly and move them down the lines.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
PanthersRule96

Vokoun is the only person keeping us from tanking epically here. Without Vokoun, this team would have to battle really hard to beat good AHL teams, no joke.

Only Booth and Weiss on this roster are far and away beyond the AHL level. Throw those two on the Hershey Bears and promote that team to the big leagues and they're probably better than what we have.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I have no clue who the top 6 forward acquisition will be since the UFA market is garbage. Tallon has so much money he would be silly not to try to overpay and get Richards. I know it's a long shot but we have a ton of space and he'd fit in perfectly.

I could see Markov or Erhoff on D but I'm not sure anyone wants to sign here. It sucks the UFA crop is so weak and we have so much space.

Kennedy on the fourth? I don't like that. He's too small/not a guy who hits enough. Matthias and Skille are the only guys who hit in our forward group. I think Tallon will look to get someone for the bottom line who is tough and hits.

I think they buy out Olesz. Especially with a severe knee injury unless there's some contractual exception that it can't be done or they have insurance for his contract.
There's a few good top 6 forwards out there. The market stinks, but like I said, if you spend the money you can still get somebody. People will sign here if you show them the money.

Where would you put Kennedy? Are you going to put Dadonov on the 4th line? I think it's fine, the 4th line doesn't HAVE to be all big goons. Reasoner and the enforcer can take care of the dirty stuff. Kennedy simply adds more scoring depth to the 4th line. I think Tallon is going to go after Eager, a guy he traded for in Chicago. He can play and he is a pretty good fighter too, and he will hit plenty. That's a good 4th line.

They're not going to buy out Olesz. Coolburn recently enlightened me on the fact that all buyouts have to be paid out all at once, even though on the cap it's spread out over a period of years. There's no way ownership has that kind of money right now. He's here to stay for 3 more years unfortunately.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:

Dadonov-Matthias-Skille
Olesz

Garrison-Weaver
Ellerby-Gudbranson
Sulzer

Vokoun
Clemmer

Booth-Richards-Dadanov
Santorelli-Weiss-Skille/Bergfors
Matthias-Couturier/RNH-Reasoner
Samsanov-Timmen-Hordy/Mcardle/Repik

Ellerby-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Sulzer
Garrison-Weaver

Vokoun
Markstrom

I have not added anyone to the lineup via Free agency except for Brad Richards because I can't think of anyone off the top of my head for our team to aquire other than him. So we're adding Richards and either RNH or Coutierer to the lineup that will be a HUGE boost to our center position as well as our offense, and give players some compitition for a roster spot. Skille,Bergfors,Repik,Samsanov,Timmins and anyone else I forgot will all have to play hard to EARN a roster spot. If we aquire a top pairing Dman, it will do the same thing for Garrison,Sulzer, and any other Dman trying to make the squad. I'd like to trade Clemmensen and bring up Markstrom and let him get his ice time in the major league, and getting his feet wet on the big club.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
There's a few good top 6 forwards out there. The market stinks, but like I said, if you spend the money you can still get somebody. People will sign here if you show them the money.

Where would you put Kennedy? Are you going to put Dadonov on the 4th line? I think it's fine, the 4th line doesn't HAVE to be all big goons. Reasoner and the enforcer can take care of the dirty stuff. Kennedy simply adds more scoring depth to the 4th line. I think Tallon is going to go after Eager, a guy he traded for in Chicago. He can play and he is a pretty good fighter too, and he will hit plenty. That's a good 4th line.

They're not going to buy out Olesz. Coolburn recently enlightened me on the fact that all buyouts have to be paid out all at once, even though on the cap it's spread out over a period of years. There's no way ownership has that kind of money right now. He's here to stay for 3 more years unfortunately.
There aren't really any good top 6 guys who will be free agents. I just looked. If people will sign here if we show them the money then we need to show Richards the money. I'd give him 9 mill a year for 5 years.

Kennedy plays in the AHL next season or beats someone out of a spot during camp. Seems like a waste on the fourth line. We need to have more grit.

Didn't know that about Olesz.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

This is the last year we can buyout olesz for cheap (1/3), and I think they will take the long term savings, especially since they won't spend all the way anyway.

We could put Skille on the 4th and have a super checking line with Kennedy-Reasoner-Skille. I think Howden has a shot at the 3rd line role next year.

Possible FAs: Laich, J Jokinen, Upshall, Kobasew? Mostly low level guys other than Richard/Laich/Jokinen.

Watch them sign Jovo for the D spot.....

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Booth-Richards-Dadanov

Ellerby-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Sulzer
Garrison-Weaver

Vokoun
Markstrom

I have not added anyone to the lineup via Free agency except for Brad Richards because I can't think of anyone off the top of my head for our team to aquire other than him. So we're adding Richards and either RNH or Coutierer to the lineup that will be a HUGE boost to our center position as well as our offense, and give players some compitition for a roster spot. Skille,Bergfors,Repik,Samsanov,Timmins and anyone else I forgot will all have to play hard to EARN a roster spot. If we aquire a top pairing Dman, it will do the same thing for Garrison,Sulzer, and any other Dman trying to make the squad. I'd like to trade Clemmensen and bring up Markstrom and let him get his ice time in the major league, and getting his feet wet on the big club.
Bergfors and Skille are already bonafide NHLers, especially Bergfors. He has 29 pts. this year and had 43 pts. last year. They would have to lose their spots in training camp, and it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Tallon has said Markstrom needs another half season in the AHL next year before he's ready for the NHL. I'd keep Clemmer around, he's played well this year and Tallon isn't ready to rush Markstrom.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Booth-Richards-Dadanov

Ellerby-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Sulzer
Garrison-Weaver

Vokoun
Markstrom

IF (AND ITS A BIG IF) DT thinks he can get Richards, I would draft Landy (if we get the chance to choose) as I know what we would do 2-3 years down the road when we have Richards/Weiss and one of the two kids. Landy makes the lineup something like:

Booth-Richards-Dadanov
Landy-Weiss-Bergfors
Matthias-Santorielli-Skille
Olesz-Reasoner-Duco

Ellerby-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Weaver
Garrison-Sultzer/FA

Vokoun
Clemmenson/FA

PS Samsonov is expiring and I don't think they resign him. Just my two cents though. However I think this lineup is much better than the proposed one where the rookie is on the 3rd line and Santo is moved to wing. This keeps mostly everyone at a natural position, and makes our winger depth much better. I also think Richards-Weiss-Santo-Reasoner is a great group of centers....maybe top 6-7 in the league depending on Santo's progression

Old
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
This is the last year we can buyout olesz for cheap (1/3), and I think they will take the long term savings, especially since they won't spend all the way anyway.

We could put Skille on the 4th and have a super checking line with Kennedy-Reasoner-Skille. I think Howden has a shot at the 3rd line role next year.

Possible FAs: Laich, J Jokinen, Upshall, Kobasew? Mostly low level guys other than Richard/Laich/Jokinen.

I like Laich but I think since the supply of quality guys is so low their price will be inflated. I don't want to overpay for ok top 6 guys. J Jokinen, pass. Upshall gets hurt too much but the skill is there. Not a fan of Kobasew.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
There aren't really any good top 6 guys who will be free agents. I just looked. If people will sign here if we show them the money then we need to show Richards the money. I'd give him 9 mill a year for 5 years.

Kennedy plays in the AHL next season or beats someone out of a spot during camp. Seems like a waste on the fourth line. We need to have more grit.

That's not true. Leino, Cole, Fleischmann, Laich(even though I don't see the Caps letting him go but who knows). We could also make a trade. If Richards wants to come here and Viner gives Tallon the money necessary, then fine. I just don't see it happening though.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post

I'd love Jovo, and I can see him coming back here. Yeah, Jokinen works too.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
That's not true. Leino, Cole, Fleischmann, Laich(even though I don't see the Caps letting him go but who knows). We could also make a trade. If Richards wants to come here and Viner gives Tallon the money necessary, then fine. I just don't see it happening though.
Leino would be nice. Fleischmann is ok. Cole is too old and injury prone.

Old
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Quote:
I may want to re-read the CBA again to make sure I was correct. But also I think there may be a limit to the amount of buyouts that can be used so if you factor in Reino's buyout which is more likely and we're still on the hook for Koistinen, that makes it almost impossible I believe. I'll verify what I said is true about the buyout and let everyone know.

Also I wouldnt count on Olesz necessarily staying though. I could see him being traded this summer to a team like the Rangers who will want some cap space to sign Richards, something around Drury for Olesz. We get the big cap hit ($7M) but only have to pay out $5M (only about $1.6M more than what we have to pay Olesz next season) and deal expires after next yr. Works out well for the Rangers as they can buy him out since they have the money to spend and FL gets the big cap hit to come closer to the cap floor. I know none of us really want Drury but I think something like that makes sense to get rid of Olesz TBH (and then just slot him into a top 6 role I guess).

Last edited by Coolburn: 02-28-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: update for reviewing CBA
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
FYI according to panthers website, Samsonov takes Dvorak's #14 and Bergfors will wear #11. They'll also have to name another alternate captain, which I guess would have to be Booth or Weaver. Few are left to take it, otherwise you've got Santorelli and Hordichuk (who I have to think is lucky to still be here lol).

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
In our current state, I'd guess the lineup would be:

Booth-Weiss-Bergfors
Samsonov-Santorelli-Repik
Thomas-Reasoner-Jessiman
McArdle-Timmins-Bernier

Hordichuk

Weaver-Kulikov
Garrison-Sulzer
Ellerby-Callahan

Vokoun
Clemmenson

Injured: Carter, Skille, Olesz, Matthias, Dadanov, Bitz

Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Heres my hypothetical question to you all. Would it be to the panthers benefit to hold all their chips until the off season of 2012? Should they sign some more NHL fringe players and fail hard from the opening draw and get who ever the first pick is next year. I want to know who is the projected first overall pick next year and who are the UFA's next year. Because if they can get a top 3 pick in this draft and the number one pick next year and a better UFA selection this team can compete for a STANLEY CUP and not the playoffs. Im under the impression that the panthers have been so bad this last decade because they havent failed hard enough to get the sidney crosby's and the alexander ovechkins of the draft. Now is our chance to fail all the way and get the first overall pick next year.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Dallasman

So opinions of Dadanov are mixed I take it.
He's on some first lines and with other he's on their third lines.
Does he project to be a Top 6 with the Panthers next year?

By the way, he's injured for the year, correct? What happened to him?

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Heres my hypothetical question to you all. Would it be to the panthers benefit to hold all their chips until the off season of 2012? Should they sign some more NHL fringe players and fail hard from the opening draw and get who ever the first pick is next year. I want to know who is the projected first overall pick next year and who are the UFA's next year. Because if they can get a top 3 pick in this draft and the number one pick next year and a better UFA selection this team can compete for a STANLEY CUP and not the playoffs. Im under the impression that the panthers have been so bad this last decade because they havent failed hard enough to get the sidney crosby's and the alexander ovechkins of the draft
. Now is our chance to fail all the way and get the first overall pick next year.

Nail yakupov in my opinion might be the best looking prospect since Crosby and ovechkin. In no way does that mean he will be better then them or stamkos, but I think he looks better two years out than stamkos did. However I can never get behind the "throw the season before it starts" mentality