HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Ovie injured for half this season?

Old
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
wrong threads

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Hank Scorpio

vCash: 500
Hey guys, curious Habs fan here respectfully looking for a little information. By the looks of things, you guys are as in the dark as I am.

Just a thought, (one purely based on my own, limited, observations with no media source or professional opinion to back it up) but do you think he's depressed?

Looking at the Crosby and Ovechkin debate, I've always felt as though, as an individual player, Ovechkin is the better of the two. Not to say he's not a team guy, but one of the biggest attributes I believe Ovechkin brings to the table is that he acts like he's good enough to take on the world by himself. Where being over confident is a negative trait for most, why it is a positive for Ovechkin is because he has all the tools to do it and does so regularly.

Why I bring this up is, for the first time in his life, he can't do it by himself. It's one thing over an NHL regular season where teams play each other rather infrequently but as we're all aware playing for a championship such as NHL playoffs and the Olympics is a different breed of hockey.

The one major change I've seen in Ovechkin this season is, despite still being amongst the leagues elite, he does not dominate games like he has in seasons past nor does it seem like he wants to. It's like we're watching his skill and physical attributes without the the passion. I'm not suggesting he doesn't care about winning or producing points, it's evident that he wants to win a cup and wants to do it in Washington sooner then later and he clearly gets frustrated by blown chances.

What has come out of this, also based on my limited and unprofessional opinion, is that Washington, as a team, is more dominant then ever. Not to hit the hornets net with a stick, but when Montreal played Washington in last seasons playoffs, one of the biggest problems I saw with Washington was that players didn't really use other players to set up plays but rather shot as many pucks at Halak as possible. It was like we were playing a bunch of individual players that all happened to be wearing Capitals jerseys. They clearly learnt from this and have moved on to a season where 'struggling' meant 6th place in the conference at it's worst and a much better effort in all three zones. Ovechkin has been better of late and we're starting to see that dominance come back but I think it's because, now that the system is natural to them, the players are playing hockey again rather then going to work.

Ovechkin is the last piece of the puzzle because in order to win, you need Ovechkin to be that dominant player again but it's easier said then done. My original thought on his break was, more then anything, it is a mental break where they want Ovechkin to be away from hockey.

It could be because of the bumps and bruises but we're talking about Ovechkin, a player other teams are scared to bump and bruise because he will go from hockey player to wrecking ball with a puck in front of it and also one of the best (if not the best) conditioned athletes in the league. In short, I don't buy it.

So that's my Ovechkin theory. Depression, not bumps, bruises, or nagging wrist injuries but I'll defer to the experts on this one, being all the regular Caps posters, due to my limited information on the team. I'd love to hear your opinions, I'm not sure if this has already been discussed and dismissed as I don't exactly frequent the Caps board.

Good luck versus Philly tonight, there's a few teams in the league (Philly along with the Bruins and Leafs) where watching them get beat is almost as good as watching the Habs win... to me anyways. Things are looking good for you tonight though, 3-1 is not a bad lead.

Hank Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

One of the twits said OVI mentioned he's been dealing with injury for 2 months...

there, I finally posted in here.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Two months only heh. I presume many injury conspiracy theorists thus think he then had another injury for the two months before that, which directly caused his drop in production. Or, he lied.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

"Ovechkin said he had been dealing with the ailment — the nature of which neither he nor team officials would disclose — for two months."

So...so much for that theory for the whole season excuse...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Funkyalligator

I personally think that Ovechkin spent about half the season trying to set his teammates up for goals....and than he injured his wrist negating his one-timer and power moves....and it's pretty much healed by now but he needs a little more time with no contact.

Just thinking back on the games I watched this season...I can think of easily...30 or more perfect chances that Ovie put directly onto another teamates stick. Knuble flubbed so many of those chances, as well as Laich, Backstrom and Semin. Ovechkin kept at it and that's why his assist totals are so high compared to goals. The injuries to Green and Semin(pretty sure he played injured for a very long time but did so because he knew the team needed him) also contributed to the drop off in offense.

Because no one else on the team could finish...teams were able to press Ovie all season and prevent him from gettting his shots off because even if he passed it off...ehhh.

And than finally when others started to finish...Ovie injured his wrist and couldn't take the easy shots they were passing to him...that plus the PP was in horrible disarray not really due to Ovie but more to injuries etc.

Now it's pretty much healed but he hasn't wanted to take his slap shot or hard wrister because it needed just a bit more rest. Plus with no Mike Green around the ice was a little more closed. Why rush back when the playoffs are around the corner and pretty much everyone on the team is starting to come around especially mojo.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
binary0x01

Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
He passed up a lot of one timers, he's definitely injured.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think he's just generally average at one timers....seriously....he might hit 1 of 5 on a given night. He's been like that his whole career.

The only thing I saw as a possible injury issue was when for a good part of the season, his pattened cross the blueline, cut right at the top of the circle move, he fumbled repeatedly. Now if we're to believe what they're telling us, he's only been dealing with the injury for a few months. I'm willing to accept that his pride and ego were probably what was hurt most of the season. I just hope he grows and matures as he learns to deal with disappointment better.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:16 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
"Ovechkin said he had been dealing with the ailment — the nature of which neither he nor team officials would disclose — for two months."

So...so much for that theory for the whole season excuse...
It doesn't add up. He took the cortisone shot on January 6. As a rule the cortisone shot is not used on something freshly damaged. Its for something more chronic. January 6 takes it back three months. The injury treated on Jan 6 obviously predates that by some period.

Now, its possible that the cortisone treatment was for an injury other than the injury Ovechkin is referring to now. Either way something has been going on there for more than the past 60 days.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I think he's just generally average at one timers....seriously....he might hit 1 of 5 on a given night. He's been like that his whole career..
I'll go with this to the extent that you might make contact on one out every five one timer attempts.

Old
03-29-2011, 07:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Good point about the Jan 6 cortizone shot. But I think a guy like him is going to have injuries most of the year. Do we have a more rambunctious player? But for whatever the reason, Funk nailed it, he has been looking to pass. Maybe it was too painful to shoot, looking to pass was only a feeble attempt to heal. Or maybe he realized trying to shoot 2000 times a year will not land him a cup, and will also make him predictable. Either way, I think it serves us well for him to be known to pass once in a while. Everyone played him to shoot, it was bound to catch up with him, one way or another.

Old
03-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Midnight Judges

Change of system, looking to pass, injuries, and perhaps he was asked to take it down a notch regarding hitting people because he was causing injuries to himself and others and getting suspended. I don't buy the bruised ego/depression thing. He's not a sensitive genious, he's a freakin hockey player.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Yeah thats one thing I wanted to mention that Midnight said, the league killed Ovi theory. Dont hit anyone Ovi, we are all on the same team. "OK, then what the hell my spossed to do ya moran"

Old
03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good point about the Jan 6 cortizone shot. But I think a guy like him is going to have injuries most of the year. Do we have a more rambunctious player? But for whatever the reason, Funk nailed it, he has been looking to pass. Maybe it was too painful to shoot, looking to pass was only a feeble attempt to heal. Or maybe he realized trying to shoot 2000 times a year will not land him a cup, and will also make him predictable. Either way, I think it serves us well for him to be known to pass once in a while. Everyone played him to shoot, it was bound to catch up with him, one way or another.
i find one problem with the passing as a choice theory. it failed. his playing partners have had significantly worse seasons in goal scoring with ovechkin play less shelfishly.

if backstrom were on or near his scoring from last season, i'd feel differently. but backstrom has had a worse season than ovechkin. backstrom's best asset is the assist and if ov can't score it, that hurts backstrom. if ov is not a threat to score, that hurts backstrom even more.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
Change of system, looking to pass, injuries, and perhaps he was asked to take it down a notch regarding hitting people because he was causing injuries to himself and others and getting suspended. I don't buy the bruised ego/depression thing. He's not a sensitive genious, he's a freakin hockey player.
bruised ego. thats probably the wrong word for it. how about world wide embarrassment? the olympics were an embarrassment. his team was a joke. it was more on the coaching, but ov got the blame. then a 1 seed was beating by an 8 seed. another epic embarrassment. if you think that would have no effect, your deluded.

it might have made him more determined or might have taken some of the fun out of the game for him. it certainly raised the pressure level. my guess is that it had both effects on him.

so...my guess is that ov had some soul searching to do. i think he was limited by an injury or two. i think he was sandbagging some. i think he was changing his priorities. he still wants to be the best player in the world, but he can't be that without more championships than the other guy.

as to the league? campbell has said that he told mcphee and ovechkin that he needed to step back from the edge. watching him play this season, its obvious. he is still willing to hit like the old ov, but he saves that player for games that matter. there is no point getting suspended and adding to his sheet by making a mistake in a december game vs the panthers.

ov hit vs tampa bay and vs pittsburgh. those were the two teams that were trying to take something away from him and he met them with force. come playoffs the on the edge ov will be at full throttle.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

His attempts to learn to pass, to make opponents respect his passing ability, his actual passes themselves, failed? I saw progress on all fronts. Who cares if his linemates werent used to him passing, or aren't natural goal scorers. Look at our place in the standings, and him in the assists leaders.

Look at his passes three years ago, yeesh, it was deliberate and ugly. He looks so much more comfortable passing now, in the end I think it will help make him less one dimensional if it hasnt already. Its certainly not an easy undertaking and I think he is making solid progress.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
txpd

has ov's concentration on his passing improved his passing? yes. has his improved passing improved the offense? no. has his improved passing forced the defense to play his passing honest as opposed to overplaying his shot? no. has his passing improved the power play scoring of his mates? no. has his passing made his teammates better scorers? no.

facts are that he is giving up scoring opportunities for lesser opportunities. backstrom's goal scoring has regressed as badly as ovechkin's. the passing is not helping nicky.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Give it time to play itself out. Was Kettler built overnight? Ovi and his passing is a work in progress that has spanned years. And that is normal for a pure goal scorer such as himself, and quite rare an undertaking if it is indeed what I think is happening.

Nick is in his own funk unrelated to Ovi and any injury or change in his game. Knuble is head down stick on the ice regardless. Dont guage 8's passing by his linemates goal scoring prowess. Grade him based on how he is being defended. He has to establish the threat to pass to get his old scoring lane opened, and to shake the triple collapse job they do on him from all angles.

I would like him to keep looking to pass to our RD's at ES

Old
03-29-2011, 11:50 AM
hoopla

I heard it was a groin injury his gf gave him.
there's an old soviet saying among hockey players from Russia/Soviet Union, it does not make much sense if translated literally, but the main point is that once a hockey player gets involved in a long-term relationship with a woman, that season is going to be a waste. So far, it's been true for a number of NHL players, as well as some minor-leaguers, with a few exceptions, of course.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Midnight Judges

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
bruised ego. thats probably the wrong word for it. how about world wide embarrassment? the olympics were an embarrassment. his team was a joke. it was more on the coaching, but ov got the blame. then a 1 seed was beating by an 8 seed. another epic embarrassment. if you think that would have no effect, your deluded.

it might have made him more determined or might have taken some of the fun out of the game for him. it certainly raised the pressure level. my guess is that it had both effects on him.

so...my guess is that ov had some soul searching to do. i think he was limited by an injury or two. i think he was sandbagging some. i think he was changing his priorities. he still wants to be the best player in the world, but he can't be that without more championships than the other guy.
If you think hockey is a sport where one guy can determine the outcome or win a cup, then that makes sense. Personally, I think hockey is one of the ultimate team sports and you can't put it all on one player. I just don't see how anyone can blame Ovechkin and his 1.43 PPG in the playoffs for the Caps not having a cup - even Ovechkin himself if he is being overly critical. There were plenty of guys on the team who didn't contribute in the postseason.

Seems to me the past few years in sports there is a trend to credit one player for what the entire team earned. It's just plain wrong IMO. Tom Brady would have zero rings and scant playoff experience had he been drafted by the Lions. Derek Jeter would not be a household name if he played for the Expos/Nats. etc. It's not Ovechkin's fault Mike Green, Alex Semin, Fleicshman etc. don't show up in the loffs.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
If you think hockey is a sport where one guy can determine the outcome or win a cup, then that makes sense. Personally, I think hockey is one of the ultimate team sports and you can't put it all on one player. I just don't see how anyone can blame Ovechkin and his 1.43 PPG in the playoffs for the Caps not having a cup - even Ovechkin himself if he is being overly critical. There were plenty of guys on the team who didn't contribute in the postseason.

Seems to me the past few years in sports there is a trend to credit one player for what the entire team earned. It's just plain wrong IMO. Tom Brady would have zero rings and scant playoff experience had he been drafted by the Lions. Derek Jeter would not be a household name if he played for the Expos/Nats. etc. It's not Ovechkin's fault Mike Green, Alex Semin, Fleicshman etc. don't show up in the loffs.
That is all well and good but as the best player in the world last year the Caps and the Russian Olympic team were his teams and they both failed miserably when it counted. Was Ovechkin's play the main reason they failed? Of course not but they failed nonetheless and as the leader of those teams I definitely think he took those failures very hard and was discouraged by them. And yes I think there is a very good chance that that discouragement had a negative effect on his offseason preparation, which had a negative effect on his regular season.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
txpd

*RH, Is it the right play to repeated give up good scoring chances to pass to a player that is not scoring? If Backstrom's funk is unrelated, giving up quality scoring chances to become a pass first player to players that are not finishing is a bad decision. Thats my point.

*Hockey is a team sport. One player has made a huge difference for many teams over the years. Olie Kolzig and John Druce on the positive side for the Caps and Esa freakin' Tikkanen on the negative side. Do I need to say more than Steve Smith?
In short series one player on a hot streak is often the difference between destiny and defeat. Thats where those players that become legendary in the clutch come from.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
hoopla

Maybe it was true long time ago, now it's mostly true in beer leagues that you and I have to play in. A clutch player may win a game, but it will take a complete team effort to win a series.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
hoopla

Ovi is as clutch as they make them.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
*Hockey is a team sport. One player has made a huge difference for many teams over the years. Olie Kolzig and John Druce on the positive side for the Caps and Esa freakin' Tikkanen on the negative side. Do I need to say more than Steve Smith?
In short series one player on a hot streak is often the difference between destiny and defeat. Thats where those players that become legendary in the clutch come from.
Another way to look at it might be to say that Ovechkin has made a huge difference for the Caps, except that his efforts have taken teams that would have otherwise bowed out in 4 or 5 games and stretched them into 7 game struggles. Obviously, the end results aren't there yet, but he has definitely made his mark.

End of Game 1 vs. Philly. 5 hole on Lundqvist on his way to the ice. Hat trick vs. the Pens. Washed out goal in Game 7 vs. Habs.

If people thought the Caps have struggled in the playoffs WITH Ovechkin playing the way he has, I shudder to think where they would be if he turned in lukewarm playoff performances. Who knows where they would have gone had Green/Semin/Flash provided any semblance of help the last couple years.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote