HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2011 NHL Draft

Old
03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
2011 NHL Draft

Since it's close to the end of the season and the prospect draft is only a few months away, I thought it was time to make thread on the draft. A little overview of the prospects who could be there when we pick - going to leave out RNH, Larsson and Couturier

Forwards:

Gabriel Landeskog - 6'1'' 205 lbs., Right Winger, Kitchener Rangers

Stats:

Brief player description: Two-way power forward with top line potential.

Ryan Strome - 6'1'' 183 lbs., Center, Niagara IceDogs

Stats:

Brief player description: Speedy, playmaking forward with top 6 potential.

Jonathan Huberdeau - 6'1'' 171 lbs., Center, St. John Sea Dogs

Stats:

Brief player description: Well-rounded, smart, dynamic forward with top 6 potential

Seth Ambroz - 6'2'' 215 lbs., Forward, Omaha Lancers

Stats:

Brief player description: Big, goal scoring power forward with top 6 potential

Brandon Saad - 6'2'' 211 lbs., Left Wing, Saginaw Spirit

Stats:

Brief player description: Big, powerful, goal scoring winger with top 6 potential

Boone Jenner - 6'2'' 196 lbs., Center, Oshawa Generals

Stats:

Brief player description:Two-way center with high energy, 2nd line potential

Shane Prince - 5'11'' 185 lbs., Left Wing, Ottawa 67s

Stats:

Brief player description: Smart, quick and shifty playmaking winger with top 6 potential

Matt Puempel - 6' 190 lbs., Left Wing, Peterborough Petes
Stats:

Brief player description: Well-rounded winger with top 6 potential

Ty Rattie - 6' 170 lbs, Right Wing, Portland Winterhawks
Stats:

Brief player description: Two way, high energy winger with top 6 potential

Defense:

Ryan Murphy - 5'11'' 175 lbs., Defense, Kitchener Rangers

Stats:

Brief player description: Prototypical smooth skating puck moving d-man with top pairing potential.

Dougie Hamilton - 6'4'' 195 lbs., Defense, Niagara IceDogs

Stats:

Brief player description: Two way defenseman with top pairing potential

David Musil - 6'3'' 200 lbs., Defense, Vancouver Giants

Brief player description: Strong, defensive minded defenseman with top pairing potential

Duncan Siemens - 6'3'' 200 lbs., Defense, Saskatoon Blades
Stats:

Brief player description: Two way defenseman with top 4 potential

Others I was too lazy to cover but could potentially be one of our targets:
Victor Rask
Tyler Biggs
Joel Armia
Shane McColgan
Adam Clendening
Scott Harrington
Nick Jensen
Mark McNeill
Jamieson Oleksiak
Matt Killian
Rickard Rakell
Jessie Forsberg
Lucas Lessio
Sven Bartschi
[...more

...prospects...

...here]
Vladislav Namestnikov
Alexander Khokhlachev

I'll update each player's stats once their playoffs come to an end.

Links for research:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/
http://nhldraftvideo.blogspot.com/
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36559
www.google.com
www.youtube.com

Last edited by vwg*: 03-14-2011 at 11:39 PM.
vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Murphy, Landeskog, and Hamilton top my want list right now. We'll see how that develops over the course of the offseason.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:28 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Agreed. If we can't get Landeskog, I want Murphy or Hamilton. If we're not in the top 8 though, we can probably forget all 3 of them.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

To me, the only variable is how far Murphy can fall in that group. We saw how Cam Fowler was in a similar position last year and he's even bigger than Murphy, but I think Murphy is more dynamic. It's going to be interesting for sure. I could see him going anywhere from 2nd to 10th right now. There just isn't enough solid information to really stabilize his ranking.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

For me, I'd like to see (realistically, I know we'd all like Landeskog but he won't be around when we pick):

Forward:
1. Brandon Saad
2. Seth Ambroz
3. Joel Armia

Defense:
1. Ryan Murphy (I see a Fowler like slide coming here, maybe not as far but I think he will be the 3rd defenseman taken behind Hamilton and Siemens)
2. Jamieson Oleksiak

My favorite prospect in the draft is Alex Khokhlachev, but we all know we'd never pick him, in any round.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Another reason I could really seeing us drafting Murphy (weather he falls or not) is because when Fowler and Gormley dropped last year, JR stuck to his guns and took the player they really wanted in Skinner but I remember JR saying he went straight to the phones to try and swing a trade to land one of the defensemen. Which to me hinted that he was really interested in adding a slick puck-moving defenseman. Sure he added Faulk in round two but he's not as offensively gifted as a Fowler or Murphy, he's an offensive defenseman yes but he doesn't have elite puck moving ability like Fowler and Murphy do.

Add in the fact that he acquired Ian White (who I consider a puck moving defenseman) and then later dealt him for more of a rugged, defensive first defenseman and a 2nd round pick. This is just pure speculation on my part, but that tells me that JR really wants to add a puck moving defenseman this offseason, draft, free agency, trade whatever. I do think the player JR really wants to add is Ryan Murphy, we've got a Kitchener pipeline with Skinner and I'm sure JR will be asking Skinner all about Murphy.

This is just my opinion, but I feel that Ryan Murphy right now is JR's #1 target, I wouldn't be shocked come draft day for us to package that 2012 2nd and another piece or two to move up and draft him either.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

I think that we are going to target Jeff Skinner's BFF.

Him or Murphy.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:13 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

It depends on where we draft. If it's top 5 (which I highly doubt, even with how bad we've been lately), then I could see JR being really interested in Landeskog. If we draft 5-10 I'm sure he will be really interested in Murphy or Hamilton. Basically it's going to be BPA. We don't really have to take into account organizational needs in addition to BPA because we have a fairly stacked pipeline.

Samson, Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, Nash, Osala, Terry, Shugg, etc at forward
Dumoulin, Faulk, Sanguinetti, Biega, Levi, Alt, Rissanen, Kivisto, Jordan, The Real Human Eraser in my avatar (Stahl) at defense
Murphy, Pogge, and Andersen at goalie

Just pick BPA and keep adding talent to the farm. We also have lots of trading chips to move up or to acquire NHL players.

Old
03-15-2011, 12:52 AM
MD
#woofwoof

not a big fan of saad.

mostly because hes from pittsburgh

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

We will grab the smallest, lightest center available. Because that's something this organization severely lacks.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Anton View Post
not a big fan of saad.

WTF... why you hatin'?

Interesting tidbit I learned from Landeskog's Wikipedia page... he was Skinner's roommate in Kitchner last year.

http://www.thegoodpoint.com/hockey/d...nhl-draft.html

Quote:
He has some more inspiration. Last year, Landeskog roomed with former teammate-turned-Carolina Hurricane, Jeff Skinner, who was cut from Canada's World Junior team. Skinner taught Landeskog a lot about how to handle himself like a professional off the ice. "It's all about priorities. I treat my body like a racing car, I can't fuel my race car with alcohol. If I treat it well, everything will work out for me," said Landeskog. He added that it's definitely a Porsche, as opposed to a Ferrari. If he continues his pace this season, he'll be able to shift into cruise control and ride his Porsche right into one of the Top 5 picks in this year's NHL Entry Level Draft. He assures me though that's not something that he's worried about.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

One thing we do know and it's that the scouts looked HARD at Kitchner last season to focus on Skinner that much that they'd take him above slot, so far above central scouting even if that was a joke of a rating for him. They got a strong look at both kids last year, Murphy and Landeskog. They HAVE to be the odds on favorites for our first round pick if we're in position to get them.

I think we need quality prospects more than quantity right now, which is a position we haven't been in for years. Trading a package of picks to move from say.... 12th-15th to 5th or 6th to grab one of those two would be worth the cost.

Old
03-15-2011, 06:32 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Anton View Post
not a big fan of saad.

hey now... hate because he plays soft for a guy with his frame or something, not the city he's from. (that I also happen to be from)

realistically with who could be available when we pick:

1) C Jonathan Huberdeau
2) RW Joel Armia
3) D Jamie Oleksiak

though there's an outside shot that Murphy or Seimens are still on the board, as much as we shy away from dmen in the 1st. This first round is wide open after the first 4 and I could see any number of players going anywhere

this is my top 15 as of right now (subject to change)
1: D Adam Larsson (Skelleftea, SEL)
2: LW Gabriel Landeskog (Kitchener, OHL)
3: C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Red Deer, WHL)
4: C Sean Couturier (Drummondville, QMJHL)
5: D Ryan Murphy (Kitchener, OHL)
6: D Dougie Hamilton (Niagara, OHL)
7: C Jonathan Huberdeau (Saint John, QMJHL)
8: D Duncan Seimens (Saskatoon, WHL)
9: RW Joel Armia (Assat, SM-Liiga)
10: C Ryan Strome (Niagara, OHL)
11: D Jamie Oleksiak (Northeastern, Hockey East)
12: LW Brandon Saad (Saginaw, OHL)
13: LW Steven Bartschi (Portland, WHL)
14: RW Seth Ambroz (Omaha, USHL)
15: D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL)
HM: D Nathan Beaulieu (Saint John, QMJHL), RW Tyler Biggs (USA U-18, USHL), RW Ty Rattie (Portland, WHL)

Last edited by DaveG: 03-15-2011 at 10:42 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes are looking at a 9th or 10th pick overall right now, but could easily remedy that problem by going 4-9 as I expect over the last 13 games. Luckily, most of the teams in the west are well ahead of most of the eastern teams in points.

You can do it Canes....top 5 pick!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 2889
One thing's for sure, I will be Columbus's and St. Louis's biggest fans for the rest of the year. I'm not ready to call off the playoffs just yet, but regardless of how we're playing we NEED St. Louis and Columbus to be ahead of us at the end of the year. That way we're covered, either way.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Joe McGrath

Would it be possible to select a right handed shot that might at in the top 6 some day, since they have Dalpe and squat fitting that description in the organization currently?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
The guy i'd personally be looking at is Ryan Strome. This organization is in desperate need of a dynamic offensive, playmaking #2 center, he could be just that. Unlikely next season, but, in the not so distant future. At 6'1, his size is fine, and he'll in all likelihood fill out from his listed 183. I also believe Strome is a center who can be drafted in the position and translate to the NHL in the center position, unlike Skinner who is likely destined to be a better winger.

I think on defence JR will be fine with locking up Pitkanen, having Gleason, McBain, Allen, maybe Corvo for a few more years, then bringing in guys like Dumoulin & Falk. He's also likely happy with the progression of Harrison. I personally don't see JR drafting a defenceman for immediate need.

Obviously if we're in a position to draft Ryan Murphy, than by all means, and from scouting and drafting Skinner we likely know quite a bit on the kid. But, I still think JR goes forward, center. Also, with his luck on Skinner, he'll likely be drooling at another potential forward in the top 10 to possibly fill a current void we have both now and in the future.

Skinner - Staal -
Boychuk - Strome - Dalpe
Bowman - Sutter - Terry

Not a bad potential core of young, homegrown talent there. I think Bowman may one day make a fine 3rd line sniper and PP guy, he's feisty too and from some Charlotte fans i've talked to, he can hit like a truck. Terry just seems like an all around good hockey player who's adjusted to the AHL very well. I still question whether he can translate it to the NHL, but, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on his development and progression thus far. I think the kid stands a chance at being a solid two-way 3rd liner, if not that a real solid 4th line guy. I believe Skinner eventually plays wing to Staal. In my opinion Boychuk and Dalpe are having fantastic seasons respectively and have made solid strides in their development. I think both can make the team next season. Strome is the playmaking, dynamic, talented #2 center at 6'1 and a RH shot this team desperately lacks.

A solid potential mix, in my opinion.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm not sold on drafting a guy named "Dougie".

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Good call on Strome, not sure why I missed him when making my top 15. Yeah, there's a lot of great depth to this draft but a guy like him definitely fills an organizational need as well. Hard to argue with a guy that has more then 100 points in the OHL that's not really lacking much from his game either. We'll see what direction we go from here though.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Good call on Strome, not sure why I missed him when making my top 15. Yeah, there's a lot of great depth to this draft but a guy like him definitely fills an organizational need as well. Hard to argue with a guy that has more then 100 points in the OHL that's not really lacking much from his game either. We'll see what direction we go from here though.
Yep. And from the info I can gather, this kid has a nice punch of 'dynamic' to his game. The speed, vision, hands, creativity, solid projectable size, smarts, etc. But most of all, I think based on his mobility and playmaking, he fits the bill as a natural center who can keep pace, or dictate the pace, and distrubute the puck at the NHL level. This kid has 69 assists in 62 games. And, his work ethic is noted as a very strong point of his game.

Strome is evidently on a strong team with Niagara, but I truly believe he is apart of what makes them as good as they are. He's a guy who leads the pack by a solid margin in terms of offensive contributions. His 32 goals rank him 4th on the team, but his 69 assists rank him 1st, with 25 more than the next guy. His 101 points also rank him 21 more than the next guy on the team and 2nd overall in the league.

The kid just fits the bill for this team in a critical area of need both today and in the future. Can he do what Jeff Skinner has? too hard to tell or even guess.

Here's a recent little piece from Craig Button,

Quote:
Ryan Strome

Ryan Strome of Niagara reminds me of Denis Savard - I saw Savard play junior and fans know what he did in the NHL.

Strome has an exciting quality about him. He can put people on the edges of their seats with his ability to do unbelievable things. He is unpredictable and that makes it hard for defenders to know what he is going to do.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=356604

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

But can he lose faceoffs at a 60% clip?

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

seth ambroze is pretty good.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
seth ambroze is pretty good.
It's a good year for the USHL. Not necessarily the NTDP (though Gibson is a first round talent IMO, and clearly Biggs will be there), but the rest of the league as a whole has a bunch of kids that can crack the first round. Ambroz and Mayfield are simply the best of the crop. I'm generally higher on USHLers then most, but they're the best two non-NTDP USHL prospects since Carlson.

Old
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Which draft is the one that will have the Cary player who was going to go high in the OHL draft, but committed to the USHL/College?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
Which draft is the one that will have the Cary player who was going to go high in the OHL draft, but committed to the USHL/College?
I know they said he was 15 when he committed to UND earlier this year, so it's probably 2013, but could be 2014 depending on when his birthday is.