HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Final Rangers Prospect List

View Poll Results: Do you agree with these rankings?
Very much so! 7 25.00%
Mostly 18 64.29%
Somewhat 2 7.14%
This list is way off! 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2011, 12:33 PM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
Final Rangers Prospect List

After a month and a half of voting, we got our top-25 list!

The breakdown by position of the top 25 prospects:

C: 5
LW: 7
RW: 4
D: 7
G: 2

The list seems to be very well-balanced, though I would like to see Slats draft a RW in the first round, and a high-risk, high-return center in the second round because we are already really strong on defense and LW.


TOP PROSPECTS

1. C Derek Stepan
2. LW Chris Kreider
3. RW Mats Zuccarrello-Aasen
4. D Michael Sauer
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. D Ryan McDonagh
7. LW Evgeny Grachev
8. RW Christian Thomas
9. LW Carl Hagelin
10. C Ethan Werek


SECOND TIER PROSPECTS

11. D Pavel Valentenko
12. LW Roman Horak
13. RW Jesper Fasth
14. D Tomas Kundratek
15. LW Ryan Bourque
16. RW Dale Weise
17. C Andrew Yogan
18. G Chad Johnson
19. D Mikhail Pashnin
20. C Chad Kolarik


PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

21. G Cam Talbot
22. LW Brodie Dupont
23. C Max Campbell
24. LW Jason Wilson
25. D Jyri Niemi


HONORABLE MENTIONS

* G Scott Stajcer
* D Dan Maggio
* RW Randy McNaught
* LW Devin DiDiomete
* LW Justin Soryal
* C Danny Hobbs
* Inferno272

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
  #2
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Well let's subtract the obvious graduates from this list and we'll get a picture of what our needs are going into the draft.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. [2] LW Chris Kreider
2. [5] D Dylan McIlrath
3. [7] LW Evgeny Grachev
4. [8] RW Christian Thomas
5. [9] LW Carl Hagelin
6. [10] C Ethan Werek
7. [11] D Pavel Valentenko
8. [12] LW Roman Horak
9. [13] RW Jesper Fasth
10. [14] D Tomas Kundratek

SECOND TIER PROSPECTS

11. [15] LW Ryan Bourque
12. [16] RW Dale Weise
13. [17] C Andrew Yogan
14. [18] G Chad Johnson
15. [19] D Mikhail Pashnin
16. [20] C Chad Kolarik
17. [21] G Cam Talbot
18. [22] LW Brodie Dupont
19. [23] C Max Campbell
20. [24] LW Jason Wilson

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

21. [25] D Jyri Niemi
* G Scott Stajcer
* D Dan Maggio
* RW Randy McNaught
* LW Devin DiDiomete
* LW Justin Soryal
* C Danny Hobbs

In the top 20:

LW: 7
C: 4
RW: 3
D: 4
G: 2

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
  #3
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
With as much as I don't know about the guys who aren't on the Whale, I'll say mostly.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:45 PM
  #4
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
This kind of makes my argument that we need a RW in the first round and a high-risk, high-return C in the second even more acute.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Well let's subtract the obvious graduates from this list and we'll get a picture of what our needs are going into the draft.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. [2] LW Chris Kreider
2. [5] D Dylan McIlrath
3. [7] LW Evgeny Grachev
4. [8] RW Christian Thomas
5. [9] LW Carl Hagelin
6. [10] C Ethan Werek
7. [11] D Pavel Valentenko
8. [12] LW Roman Horak
9. [13] RW Jesper Fasth
10. [14] D Tomas Kundratek

SECOND TIER PROSPECTS

11. [15] LW Ryan Bourque
12. [16] RW Dale Weise
13. [17] C Andrew Yogan
14. [18] G Chad Johnson
15. [19] D Mikhail Pashnin
16. [20] C Chad Kolarik
17. [21] G Cam Talbot
18. [22] LW Brodie Dupont
19. [23] C Max Campbell
20. [24] LW Jason Wilson

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

21. [25] D Jyri Niemi
* G Scott Stajcer
* D Dan Maggio
* RW Randy McNaught
* LW Devin DiDiomete
* LW Justin Soryal
* C Danny Hobbs

In the top 20:

LW: 7
C: 4
RW: 3
D: 4
G: 2

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
  #5
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
This kind of makes my argument that we need a RW in the first round and a high-risk, high-return C in the second even more acute.
So we should not draft the better player, but draft the position that will balance out our prospect sheet? Is that how the good teams do it?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
  #6
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So we should not draft the better player, but draft the position that will balance out our prospect sheet? Is that how the good teams do it?
It honestly depends who is on the board, and our draft position. Teams don't always select the BPA.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM
  #7
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,826
vCash: 500
Personally, I like the way (good) NBA teams do it. They create tiers by talent level with no consideration towards position played. Then, when their turn comes up, they discipline themselves to ALWAYS pick a guy from the best tier remaining - even if the only guy remaining plays the same position as their franchise player. (If they don't trade the pick, that is.) However, if there are multiple choices left in the top tier when they choose, they opt for the one that best addresses a need.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
  #8
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
This is what I think will be our top-15 next year:

1. [2] LW Chris Kreider
2. [7] LW Evgeny Grachev
3. [8] RW Christian Thomas
4. [9] LW Carl Hagelin
5. [5] D Dylan McIlrath
6. [13] RW Jesper Fasth
7. [10] C Ethan Werek
8. [12] LW Roman Horak
9. [15] LW Ryan Bourque
10. [11] D Pavel Valentenko
11. [14] D Tomas Kundratek
12. [17] C Andrew Yogan
13. [16] RW Dale Weise
14. [22] LW Brodie Dupont
15. [21] G Cam Talbot

This will not necessarily be my list. For ex., so long as Thomas keeps scoring at a 100-point per season pace and Grachev will keep playing as he has over the last month, I will argue that Thomas should be ahead of Grachev, but I expect that most people will outvote me if Grachev is on the verge of cracking the NHL at the end of the preseason and then plays well in the AHL.

This is just the list that I expect a year from today.

Either way, I fully expect that half of our top-10 list next year will be LWs. Throw in Dubinsky, Wolski, Prust, Boo, Dupont, Didi, etc., and we look very much set at LW. Our left wings are as strong as our defensemen, maybe even more so.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:00 PM
  #9
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
It honestly depends who is on the board, and our draft position. Teams don't always select the BPA.
All the recent clubs to win Cups didnt draft by position, in fact a lot of those teams were criticized for taking positions they already had covered, they just took the BPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Personally, I like the way good NBA teams do it. They tier by talent and then, when their turn comes up, they discipline themselves to ALWAYS pick a guy from the best tier remaining - even if the only guy remaining plays the same position as their franchise player. (If they don't trade the pick, that is.) However, if there are multiple choices left in the top tier when they choose, they opt for the one that best addresses a need.
Basketball drafting can not be compared to hockey. Different 'game' entirely IMO.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:01 PM
  #10
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,898
vCash: 500
So you don't see these players play you just rank them by hearsay and stats, is that right?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
  #11
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
After a month and a half of voting, we got our top-25 list!

The breakdown by position of the top 25 prospects:

C: 5
LW: 7
RW: 4
D: 7
G: 2

The list seems to be very well-balanced, though I would like to see Slats draft a RW in the first round, and a high-risk, high-return center in the second round because we are already really strong on defense and LW.


TOP PROSPECTS

1. C Derek Stepan
2. LW Chris Kreider
3. RW Mats Zuccarrello-Aasen
4. D Michael Sauer
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. D Ryan McDonagh
7. LW Evgeny Grachev
8. RW Christian Thomas
9. LW Carl Hagelin
10. C Ethan Werek


SECOND TIER PROSPECTS

11. D Pavel Valentenko
12. LW Roman Horak
13. RW Jesper Fasth
14. D Tomas Kundratek
15. LW Ryan Bourque
16. RW Dale Weise
17. C Andrew Yogan
18. G Chad Johnson
19. D Mikhail Pashnin
20. C Chad Kolarik


PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

21. G Cam Talbot
22. LW Brodie Dupont
23. C Max Campbell
24. LW Jason Wilson
25. D Jyri Niemi


HONORABLE MENTIONS

* G Scott Stajcer
* D Dan Maggio
* RW Randy McNaught
* LW Devin DiDiomete
* LW Justin Soryal
* C Danny Hobbs
* Inferno272



lol

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:07 PM
  #12
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Personally, I like the way (good) NBA teams do it. They tier by talent and then, when their turn comes up, they discipline themselves to ALWAYS pick a guy from the best tier remaining - even if the only guy remaining plays the same position as their franchise player. (If they don't trade the pick, that is.) However, if there are multiple choices left in the top tier when they choose, they opt for the one that best addresses a need.

I think that's an obvious one. If you have one player who's significantly above other remaining draftees, take him. But usually there are 3-5 players who are more or less the same. In these cases, I would really prefer that they go with a RW.

Callahan, Zuccarello, Thomas, Fasth and Weise are a nice bunch, but if we add a guy like Kreider (but a RW intead of a LW) to this bunch, it will be really set for the future because at least one of the high-risk, high-return guys should become a first liner, and then Zucca, Cally and Weise can round out the right wing.

I really think we should add a couple more RWs like Thomas and Fasth this draft.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
  #13
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Obviously in the first round take BAP.

You can pick by need and take risks in the later rounds. I think the Rangers really need some more playmaking centers in the system, and some right wing talent. No more 3rd-4th liners in the later rounds, shoot for the any top 6 scoring talent projects there may be.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
  #14
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So you don't see these players play you just rank them by hearsay and stats, is that right?
Hearsay is a statement by someone who does not have personal knowledge. That would be, "Bob told me that he saw a murder, but I didn't see it myself."

Evidence/testimony is a statement of what you saw: "I saw the murder." That's how juries decide guilt or innocence.

Judging prospects based on the testimony of scouts is not completely illegitimate.

But that's not the only way they were judged. It's really a combination of seeing some/most of the prospects at some point (WJC, AHL, NHL, CHL), stats and scouting reports.

That's how a GM would judge a prospect anyway. Do you really think that before Sather comes up with his pre-draft list of desired 18-year-olds, he goes out and watches hundreds of them play several dozen times?

No, he relies on scouting reports and stats plus personally watching a game or two at times.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
  #15
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,898
vCash: 500
You mentioned stats when saying you'd rank Thomas higher if he got another hundred points next year, why? So many players, good or bad, could do that, can't just be so black and white with a young players progress.

Stats don't mean everything.

I think the posters poll on these boards are always the worst judge of our prospect pool. Most don't even know what these players are, they see points or NHL size and go from there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
  #16
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,633
vCash: 350
I only expect Kreider and Grachev to have 30+ goal potential within the span of their careers. The rest I'm not very sure about.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
  #17
Miller Time NYR
Registered User
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Obviously in the first round take BAP.

You can pick by need and take risks in the later rounds. I think the Rangers really need some more playmaking centers in the system, and some right wing talent. No more 3rd-4th liners in the later rounds, shoot for the any top 6 scoring talent projects there may be.
I agree, we need to start targeting pure talent/risky players, rather than gritty 3/4th line guys with character.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:18 PM
  #18
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
I like the idea of picking BPA/need in a away. If they have 2 players rated the same, one is a C, the other being a LW, then I want them taking the C, but I dont want them reaching by a better player to pick based on a need.

I hope I managed to make my sentence make sence =)

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:33 AM
  #19
NorthlandPro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suwanee GA
Country: United States
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Depth wise I think the organization is at a place now where they can pick for needs if they want too. I always feel they pick best available and let the chips fall where they may. That is why they draft McIlrath, he filled a need. Center is a concern, though not as much as before. Several players that we have as Centers in the organization potentially can fit the bill. Werek been hurt and that has slowed his progress. Stepan is having a good rookie season and should improve as he gets more experienced. Horak is a solid 2 way center that should be a year or so away.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
  #20
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I only expect Kreider and Grachev to have 30+ goal potential within the span of their careers. The rest I'm not very sure about.

Definitely think Thomas has 30 goal potential, maybe more. He will have 50-60 goals in juniors this year. It doesn't "prove" anything, but it definitely shows ability to score.

I can also see Horak and Fasth scoring 30 some day, though their odds aren't as good.

Again, none of this is guaranteed, but I'm really talking about "possibility" and not necessarily any kind of a guarantee.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:52 AM
  #21
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,010
vCash: 500
Someone proposed that we add Tysen Dowzak to the honorable mentions. What do people think? He's big (6-foot-5 215 pounds), but can't skate, which is why he's all the way down in the single-A level Central Hockey League.

Does anyone think he should be added? Personally, I'm leaning against it, but I'll go with the general opinion.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
  #22
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,368
vCash: 50
Awards:
Dowzak sucks. He has zero chance at becoming an NHL player. The CHL is a death sentence for a prospect.

As soon as his SPC is up, he's gone.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:41 PM
  #23
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,424
vCash: 1050
I would move Chad Johnson and Cam Talbot down on that list. No need to have a goalie anywhere near the top of the list.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  #24
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Can someone tell me why our articles are always seemingly dead last on this site in terms of being porduced and now our top 20 article they didn't even bother making yet they moved on to discuss college and euro players for two teams already?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
  #25
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
All the recent clubs to win Cups didnt draft by position, in fact a lot of those teams were criticized for taking positions they already had covered, they just took the BPA.



Basketball drafting can not be compared to hockey. Different 'game' entirely IMO.
The way he compared it works. There are many things you can't compare but what he said about basketball applies even more so to hockey.
If you've got a spot filled there are 4 lines so who cares if you get two big time centers. Just because you have Brad Richards or Joe Thor doesn't mean you pass up Sid.

But if the players are even talent and two different positions you take the better fit. pretty common sense for any sport.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.