HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

10 Things Ottawa Senators Need To Do To Become Stanley Cup Contenders

Old
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
TheHMan

vCash: 500
Yeah I read this, and then thought about it for a moment... and then double checked who wrote this so I can disregard this idiot in the future.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
PKC*

It's satirical. You can read the rest of his "stories" at this link: http://www.satiricaljustice.com/category/hockey

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

On the article - Kovalev wouldn't listen to Gainey or Carbonneau who have more SC rings why would he listen to Yzerman?

On our roster - you have to go with who you have signed & how many trades are made in the summer? Most of the time you have the players that are signed for next season, you add a UFA or two & you hope that a couple of prospects make your team out of camp. Chances of trading for a Parise/Semin are slim to none, same applies to great players who will likely re-sign with their teams Bryz/Richards/Laich. Vokoun IMO will sign with a contender.

To build a contender the Sens need:

1. An experienced NHL coach - Bob Hartley
2. An experienced #1 goalie - Craig Anderson
3. A legitimate experienced 2nd line centre - Stephan Wiess
4. A good mix of experience, toughness, skill & scoring from the blueline - weakness
5. A good mix of youth to replace the vets every year - Murray has done this well

Signed for next yr:

Greening - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin - Alfredson - would love to see Murray acquire Wiess from Florida.
Foligno - Z. Smith - Neil
Landeskog - Winchester - Condra/O'Brien - if Landeskog gets drafted

Gonchar - Karlsson - very good offensively, not so good defensively
Phillips - Lee - okay defensive pairing & not so good at anything else
Kuba - Carkner/Rundblad - good at some things not so good at other things

- IMO the biggest weakness on this team is the defence, it is soft & easy to play against & doesn't produce enough offensively except for the top two. Rundblad will likely replace Lee & Cowen will replace Kuba at some point but will the defence be any better with two rookie defencemen & so many defencemen prone to making mistakes. It will take a few more yrs of growing pains before we have a defence that is big, tough, hard to play against, skilled & can produce pts consistently.

Anderson - MacElhinney - better goaltending tandem than we have had in a while.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
SouthendDefender

I feel like we can't have two rookie d-men starting next season. I wouldn't mind seeing Cowen spend the better part of the season in the AHL adjusting to the pro game.

Despite Lee's improved play over the last month, I would argue any championship contender does not have him as their shut down tandem. However, considering we are in a rebuild I am ok with it for now.

I can easily see this as our defense next season:

Phillips- Lee
Karlsson-Kuba
Runblad-Gonchar
Carkner

Then hopefully trade Kuba at the deadline to make room for Smith, Cowen, Gryba...whoever is performing well at that time.

As for the forwards, we are clearly 3-4 top six forwards away from being a contender. I really think who we draft will determine what direction we go in the off-season. ( If we draft RNH I think he should spend the extra year in junior or the AHL-why rush him. I would say the same thing for Landeskog, but by all accounts he is ready to make the jump)

(UFA?/Find some warm body to play here)-Spezza-Butler
Alfredsson-Regin-Michalek ( w/ RNH in Junior or the Minors)
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Winchester-Neil

or

Alfredsson-Spezza-Butler
Landeskog-Regin-Michalek ( we would eventually need to draft/ sign a centreman)
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Winchester-Neil

(obviously this doesn't take into account any surprises making the team out of camp like Silfverberg)

In both scenarios, we need at least 4 top six players to make this team into a contender and that will only come with time and drafting.

SouthendDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny26 View Post
Sign a new coach with NHL experience, sign Anderson,draft Landeskog, at the draft trade Foligno, nashville 1st, one of our 2nds,our 2nd next year, and Weircoch for Parise. Sign Paul Kariya to a one year deal if healthy, trade Winchester and possibly Lee.
2011-2012 Roster

Michalek-Spezza-Butler
Landeskog-Parise-Alfie
Kariya-Regin-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil
Shannon

Phillips-Lee
Cowen-Karlsson
Rundblad-Gonchar
Carkner

Anderson
Conklin

If Anderson plays lights out, that lineup could be top 5 in league imo, Im sure a lot of people would disagree though.
As much as I'd love to get Parise, I feel like that trading those picks leaves us thin on forward depth. Are there any potential 2nd line centers available via UFA? I'd rather add prospect depth to the org at this point through the draft. Otherwise I like, and while it probably won't happen a one year rebuild isn't completely out of the question.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
MatthewT

I wanted Yzerman last year, but oh well

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
On the article - Kovalev wouldn't listen to Gainey or Carbonneau who have more SC rings why would he listen to Yzerman?

On our roster - you have to go with who you have signed & how many trades are made in the summer? Most of the time you have the players that are signed for next season, you add a UFA or two & you hope that a couple of prospects make your team out of camp. Chances of trading for a Parise/Semin are slim to none, same applies to great players who will likely re-sign with their teams Bryz/Richards/Laich. Vokoun IMO will sign with a contender.

To build a contender the Sens need:

1. An experienced NHL coach - Bob Hartley
2. An experienced #1 goalie - Craig Anderson
4. A good mix of experience, toughness, skill & scoring from the blueline - weakness
5. A good mix of youth to replace the vets every year - Murray has done this well

Signed for next yr:

Greening - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin - Alfredson - would love to see Murray acquire Wiess from Florida.
Foligno - Z. Smith - Neil
Landeskog - Winchester - Condra/O'Brien - if Landeskog gets drafted

Gonchar - Karlsson - very good offensively, not so good defensively
Phillips - Lee - okay defensive pairing & not so good at anything else
Kuba - Carkner/Rundblad - good at some things not so good at other things

- IMO the biggest weakness on this team is the defence, it is soft & easy to play against & doesn't produce enough offensively except for the top two. Rundblad will likely replace Lee & Cowen will replace Kuba at some point but will the defence be any better with two rookie defencemen & so many defencemen prone to making mistakes. It will take a few more yrs of growing pains before we have a defence that is big, tough, hard to play against, skilled & can produce pts consistently.

Anderson - MacElhinney - better goaltending tandem than we have had in a while.
Disagree about our weakness. With the forward group you have listed we would be one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL.

Many of those guys are AHL players. Greening won't be a full time NHL'er next year, and Regin would be the worst 2nd or 3rd line center in the NHL.
Condra has a chance to stick.

I think the defense will be much improved with an experienced NHL coach. Guys like Philips and Gonchar will look much better with a simple zone defense, vs whatever it is that Clouston's got them doing.

One of the reasons Lee looks better is he seems to be playing zone, while Philips is chasing guys around playing some kind of man on man defense. Never seen anything like it, I guess I'm used to J. Martin system. Or at least something that makes sense.

Hartley would be a great choice, but I don't think Murray would even interview him.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthendDefender View Post
I feel like we can't have two rookie d-men starting next season. I wouldn't mind seeing Cowen spend the better part of the season in the AHL adjusting to the pro game.

Despite Lee's improved play over the last month, I would argue any championship contender does not have him as their shut down tandem. However, considering we are in a rebuild I am ok with it for now.

I can easily see this as our defense next season:

Phillips- Lee
Karlsson-Kuba
Runblad-Gonchar
Carkner

Then hopefully trade Kuba at the deadline to make room for Smith, Cowen, Gryba...whoever is performing well at that time.

As for the forwards, we are clearly 3-4 top six forwards away from being a contender. I really think who we draft will determine what direction we go in the off-season. ( If we draft RNH I think he should spend the extra year in junior or the AHL-why rush him. I would say the same thing for Landeskog, but by all accounts he is ready to make the jump)

(UFA?/Find some warm body to play here)-Spezza-Butler
Alfredsson-Regin-Michalek ( w/ RNH in Junior or the Minors)
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Winchester-Neil

or

Alfredsson-Spezza-Butler
Landeskog-Regin-Michalek ( we would eventually need to draft/ sign a centreman)
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Winchester-Neil

(obviously this doesn't take into account any surprises making the team out of camp like Silfverberg)

In both scenarios, we need at least 4 top six players to make this team into a contender and that will only come with time and drafting.
What's wrong with having Greening on the top line at LW, he seems to be doing fairly well these days although there is less pressure. I would still try him there next season, he has it all to be a great power forward, size, speed, skill, smarts & will drop them if he has to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Disagree about our weakness. With the forward group you have listed we would be one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL.

Many of those guys are AHL players. Greening won't be a full time NHL'er next year, and Regin would be the worst 2nd or 3rd line center in the NHL.

I think the defense will be much improved with an experienced NHL coach. Guys like Philips and Gonchar will look much better with a simple zone defense, vs whatever it is that Clouston's got them doing.

One of the reasons Lee looks better is he seems to be playing zone, while Philips is chasing guys around playing some kind of man on man defense. Never seen anything like it, I guess I'm used to J. Martin system. Or at least something that makes sense.

Hartley would be a great choice, but I don't think Murray would even interview him.
But those are the guys that we have, what would you suggest be done differently? Alfredson, Spezza, Michalek, Regin, Foligno, Neil & Winchester are signed for next season. Shannon may be re-signed & Z. Smith, Butler, Condra & Greening IMO have shown well enough to have a shot to be on the team next season, that's 11/12 forwards & Murray has said that his 1st rd pick will also play next season & we all think he will draft a forward. That's 13 forwards so tell me who do you think will not be there next season from that forward group & who replaces them?

Old
03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Magix

Finish in the bottom 3 this and next year. Continuing gathering picks and draft well. Lose the bad contracts and stay away from the grandpas in FA.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
there were 2 good points.

1 - ignore the fans. NO ****. The absolute worst thing any company can do is adhere to outside pressures, and hockey is no different. Come up with a plan and stick with it, and ignore whatever the fans may say. Most fans are idiots anyways.

2 - Be Patient. Newsflash - we're rebuilding. Going out and signing top UFA's would be moronic. We have to stick with what we have and develop it. It is the only option.

03-16-2011, 01:25 AM
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !

vCash: 840
To those who want Hartley: I believe he just signed a contract to coach in Europe.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm following you here.

I myself think Alfredson has 2 or even 3 good years left in him. He was playing injured before he was shut down and wasn't he our leader in points? Tough for me to see him as other than a solid 2nd line right winger.
He only has two years left on his deal, the one with the potentially sketchy last year that only pays him $1M in real cash.

Regardless, my point was that Alfie and the lottery pick should not be considered two separate 1st line talents... because they're unlikely to ever play at any sort of peak effectiveness together.

Our lottery pick might be good for 30 points if we played him at 18 yo. Alfie might be good for 70, if he came in at 100% next season and didn't miss any games.

Then maybe they go 50 pts & 50 pts the years after that.

Then maybe if we're lucky, "lottery pick" puts up 70 pts in year 3. Who knows if Alfie is playing another year or not, nor whether he'd be capable of much more than 30 pts.

Quote:
Weiss isn't good enough to move this team forward.
Expensive depth players are finishing moves for potential contenders that have things like 1st lines in place. We have one 1st line calibre player.

We'd be better off throwing our prospects into the relative fire on the 2nd line and seeing who sticks... until we develop/acquire a 1st line, none of them have worked out and we need a guy like Weiss to complete our contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthendDefender View Post
Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba and Karlsson are expected to be the "Top-4" atm. Why wouldn't we be able to afford two rookies on the bottom pairing? Or split with vets on the bottom two pairings? There's nothing to lose by having them play right away if they look like they're ready.

We made the playoffs last season with only 3 legit top-4 D-men... and Karlsson (60 GP), Picard (45 GP), Carkner (81 GP) and Lee (23 GP). They had combined for 204 total NHL games; Picard (139), Lee (63), Carkner (2), Karlsson (0).

Quote:

Yeah and our breakout/forecheck/entire offensive game was brutally incompetent and clearly disorganized for much of this season. Everybody stats have taken a beating because of it... like Alfie who you gave a mulligan to, the D-men who you gave a mulligan to, presumably Spezza as well. But not Regin, right? The coaching staff lost complete control of the system and the entire team suffered offensively and defensively because of it.

Regardless, this is a rebuilding/expansion team forward group now. We're going to blow through a lot of forwards as we try players out attempting to build up the forward group.

Greening 25 yo, Condra 23, Butler 23, etc -> the "older" Bingo prospects are going to be losing their waiver eligibility soon, they're going to need new contracts, eventually they'll become UFA's... we need to make decisions on these players sooner, rather than later.

Imagine for a moment that Murray signs 10 more RW's to compete for spots next season so that we can never use Michalek on RW. Our 1st line is something like Michalek - Spezza - Alfie. Behind Michalek we need 2nd, 3rd and 4th line LW's... but we have no set depth chart whatsoever. So we use young guys like Regin, Foligno and Greening in those 3 spots with no preconceived notions about the outcome. Those 3 will compete for the 2nd line role, their play will dictate ice time and we'll see where they stand at the end of next season.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
operasen

I'm thinking DSmith has opened some eyes (Murray). His play has been better than expected, especially with puck movement. I can see him sticking. I am completely hopeful that someone takes Kuba at the Draft.

I would be okay with a corps based around some combination of

Phillips - Rundblad
Smith - Karlsson
Gonchar - Lee
Carkner

to start the season. Cowen spends AHL time and is called up when ready.

I have not minded the 3rd line of Foligno - Smith - Neil. Smith has to get more disciplined but he is getting his chances.

And a 4th of Greening - Winchester - Condra I find intriquing. Real good energy and really smart guys.

Regin may take until Janauary (as Kovalev and Michalek did this year) to sort out his legs. 2nd centre is going to be a reach.

I could see Michalek dealt if a 2nd centre was the return. Alfredsson needs 2nd line minutes now to extend his shelf life.

We are still pieces away for sure.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He only has two years left on his deal, the one with the potentially sketchy last year that only pays him $1M in real cash.

Regardless, my point was that Alfie and the lottery pick should not be considered two separate 1st line talents... because they're unlikely to ever play at any sort of peak effectiveness together.

Our lottery pick might be good for 30 points if we played him at 18 yo. Alfie might be good for 70, if he came in at 100% next season and didn't miss any games.

Then maybe they go 50 pts & 50 pts the years after that.

Then maybe if we're lucky, "lottery pick" puts up 70 pts in year 3. Who knows if Alfie is playing another year or not, nor whether he'd be capable of much more than 30 pts.

Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba and Karlsson are expected to be the "Top-4" atm. Why wouldn't we be able to afford two rookies on the bottom pairing? Or split with vets on the bottom two pairings? There's nothing to lose by having them play right away if they look like they're ready.

Yeah and our breakout/forecheck/entire offensive game was brutally incompetent and clearly disorganized for much of this season. Everybody stats have taken a beating because of it... like Alfie who you gave a mulligan to, the D-men who you gave a mulligan to, presumably Spezza as well. But not Regin, right? The coaching staff lost complete control of the system and the entire team suffered offensively and defensively because of it.

Regardless, this is a rebuilding/expansion team forward group now. We're going to blow through a lot of forwards as we try players out attempting to build up the forward group.

Greening 25 yo, Condra 23, Butler 23, etc -> the "older" Bingo prospects are going to be losing their waiver eligibility soon, they're going to need new contracts, eventually they'll become UFA's... we need to make decisions on these players sooner, rather than later.

Imagine for a moment that Murray signs 10 more RW's to compete for spots next season so that we can never use Michalek on RW. Our 1st line is something like Michalek - Spezza - Alfie. Behind Michalek we need 2nd, 3rd and 4th line LW's... but we have no set depth chart whatsoever. So we use young guys like Regin, Foligno and Greening in those 3 spots with no preconceived notions about the outcome. Those 3 will compete for the 2nd line role, their play will dictate ice time and we'll see where they stand at the end of next season.
OK, That makes sense to me. I don't think Alfie should even be playing on our 1st line at this point. He certainly won't be playing during the best years from our draft pick. Assuming the draft pick turns out to be a high-skill forward.

I really don't see any first line players in our system at the moment, although if Butler comes to camp beefed up he might be able to score his way onto a top line.

If you are suggesting I'm being hard on Regin, you're right. I don't like his game - I don't see him as a top 6 winger, all I see is a guy who scored a few goals in the playoffs and then went back to doing very little. It happens every year in the playoffs.

I'd be delighted if he went out there and scored 25 goals next year, but I just don't see it.

Quote:
What's wrong with having Greening on the top line at LW, he seems to be doing fairly well these days although there is less pressure. I would still try him there next season, he has it all to be a great power forward, size, speed, skill, smarts & will drop them if he has to.

But those are the guys that we have, what would you suggest be done differently? Alfredson, Spezza, Michalek, Regin, Foligno, Neil & Winchester are signed for next season. Shannon may be re-signed & Z. Smith, Butler, Condra & Greening IMO have shown well enough to have a shot to be on the team next season, that's 11/12 forwards & Murray has said that his 1st rd pick will also play next season & we all think he will draft a forward. That's 13 forwards so tell me who do you think will not be there next season from that forward group & who replaces them?
I don't see Greening as full time in the NHL next year - but you never know. But even if he can make the jump will he be able to produce on the first line? Sounds like a lot to ask from a guy with 2 goals in the NHL.

One of these guys is going to surprise next year and it may be him.

I don't know where Murray is going to be able to acquire more in the way of skilled forwards, I certainly don't have the answers. But I think it's going to be a long season if he doesn't find some help on that front.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
tony d
The man

My plan for the offseason for this team the year would be to sign 2 more forwards, draft Landeskog and another forward with our 2 picks. Sign a defensive defenseman. Get a good NHL Head Coach and get a true #1 goalie (Though I think that maybe Craig Anderson)

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
1. New GM or Face of the Franchise. Murray has his qualities but he's an extremely poor public speaker and his unabashed honesty hurts his case. Would be nice to have someone that tells you only what you need to know, keeps it under the vest and is a workaholic. Someone with cap savvy/that will question the GM (accountability) also helps.

2. Defensive coach/conditioning. Yeah, yeah, Elliott & Leclaire are bad...but too often the same errors occur in the zone: lazy stickwave by Karlsson or Phillips, D letting forwards advance to the proximity of the net unimpeded, overcommitting at times along the boards. We won't make the playoffs with a -50 goal differential, this needs to be tightened up.

3. Experienced coach. Goes without saying but someone who has had some playoff success would be great (in this case success = Cup, so he can actually talk on even or superior terms to Murray) so that the vets buy in and if the vets buy in, so do the kids. Coach must be sent a memo to ignore the Ottawa Sun reporters and give a look to the Citizen but mostly send them on their way.

4.Forward depth. Whether you draft him or trade for him or sign him, a good winger or two would help things immensely.

5. Rest Alfie. He doesn't need to be the go-to guy at his age. Play him on the second or third line.

6. Temper expectations. Hi Gene, you're awesome and you're the owner but putting a one-two year timeline on something like this isn't helpful. Thanks!

7. Re-establish a winning culture which has been absent since Murray took over. This starts on the ice where the team plays as a unit and continues off the ice where high standards and pride in the logo are prevalent. Make people proud to play here and envious of the Senators players.

8. Set reasonable goals. Climb up standings a few rungs next year, make the playoffs in a few years, win a round or two after that, contend after that. DO NOT RUSH THINGS. If it takes a year, AWESOME. If it takes five, AWESOME. There is NO RUSH here. The team will be here forever, Melnyk is loaded so he'll absorb losses indefinitely and this way a NEW core of Senators can come forward.

9. Don't kill Anderson. You know that idjit Brennan is salivating at the idea of Anderson having a bad spell and to run him out of town. Let him focus and improve at his pace.

10. Start weaning in Bingo players for short stretches to give them a taste of the good life. Ideally you do this on the road so they can get the planes, first class hotels, everything.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

With the right coach and some savvy drafting and signings, this team could give other teams fits with all the different line combos it could throw at them, along with a very young and potentially top 3 D corps in the league in 2-3 years, and hopefully great goaltending, players that are entering their prime(Spezza,Michalek,possibly Anderson,) and seasoned vets (Alfie,Gonchar,Phillips,Neil). we already have a decent amount of pieces already in place.
imo there is good reason to believe we could be considered contenders again in the not distant future.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
OK, That makes sense to me. I don't think Alfie should even be playing on our 1st line at this point. He certainly won't be playing during the best years from our draft pick. Assuming the draft pick turns out to be a high-skill forward.

I really don't see any first line players in our system at the moment, although if Butler comes to camp beefed up he might be able to score his way onto a top line.

If you are suggesting I'm being hard on Regin, you're right. I don't like his game - I don't see him as a top 6 winger, all I see is a guy who scored a few goals in the playoffs and then went back to doing very little. It happens every year in the playoffs.

I'd be delighted if he went out there and scored 25 goals next year, but I just don't see it.

I don't see Greening as full time in the NHL next year - but you never know. But even if he can make the jump will he be able to produce on the first line? Sounds like a lot to ask from a guy with 2 goals in the NHL.

I don't know where Murray is going to be able to acquire more in the way of skilled forwards, I certainly don't have the answers. But I think it's going to be a long season if he doesn't find some help on that front.
Senschirp mentioned that Ottawa may be chasing Paul Thompson (New Hampshire) and/or Stepham Da Costa (Merrimack). Personally, I would love to see Murray sign Thompson, he has more size & seems to be a gifted goal scorer. I believe he plays RW which would be perfect because Alfie probably only has a yr left & he could come in after one yr in Bingo or sooner.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:

There aren't any top line players in our prospect pool... just stop thinking about that at all! Butler, Greening, whoever... our depth prospects aren't going to turn into superstars all of a sudden and most people aren't saying they will either.

Our depth chart for the near future looks something like:

Primary Scoring: Spezza and Alfie/Lottery pick

Secondary Scoring or 3rd/4th line depth players:
Michalek, Butler, Regin, Foligno, Greening, Condra, O'Brien, Silfverberg

3rd/4th line depth players: Z.Smith, Neil, Winchester

Now, if you had watched this team being built the 1st time around... you'd remember all of the secondary scorers who came out of nowhere (T.White, Arvedsson, Dackell, A.Johansson, Prospal, Fisher, Schaefer). All of the current prospects are going to be given the opportunity to fill 18-25 goal, 45-50 point secondary scoring roles.

If they can't hit those offensive targets, then maybe they're big(ger), grittier, defensive types who can earn jobs on the 3rd line.

If they can't do that, then maybe they can add some sort of value into a 4th line role.

Essentially; Spezza, Alfie/Lottery Pick and Michalek are filling 3 of our top-4 forward slots for the near future -> we will need an additional primary scorer to contend. Everybody else is merely jockeying for a spot on the roster and/or determining their specific niche in the NHL. If this seems scary, haphazard, disorganized or whimsical... well, that's how things happened the first time around. It's exciting! I have no idea whether Colin Greening will be a 2nd, 3rd, 4th liner or even a career minor leaguer. That's what the next few seasons will determine for all of these youngsters. When we get closer to contending is when we'll find out whether our prospect pool fell short and didn't produce certain player/roles that we need.

Quote:

Do you see how well he's worked with the elite offensive players on this team? Depth players don't typically do that. In fact, many of them sabotage offense.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote