HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie advice

Old
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
GoalieMel33

vCash: 500
Goalie advice

Hi, this is the first time I'm posting here. I needed advice or opinions on the goalie's glove position/stance. Hopefully some people will be able to help me.

I'm currently using a mix between the fingers up and the concentionnal way. But I've noticed I gave some goals on top glove side. It's not as effective as I want, so I'm looking to switch to something else.

Both methods seems to have pro and cons, so I wanted to know which tecnique you're using and why it is effective.
Conventionnal way => http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/27d62ce718d728aa
Fingers up way => http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/3bb927db05187bec

I heard that with a conventionnal way, it took more time to raise your glove and make a save on high shots. Also, for shots coming near your head, you needed to make shoulders saves because the hand can't reach it. That's why it seems not as used now. On the other hand, the finger up is great to catch anything, but if you go down, your hand will tend to drop, so if you're making an attempt on a rebound, it will take time to get your glove back to its posiiton.

So I have no idea which one I should use. What do you think?

I have a game in a week (rent-a-goalie for floor hockey) and I can't really aford to try each one and see which fits my style. I don't have any other time to practise unfortunately. I consider myself an hybrid goalie, but since a lot of people at college are shooting low, I have to drop down a lot.

-- Also, which muscles groups should I look for to strech so I can have a wider butterfly? I have a book with various exercises but I'm not familiar with muscles that are involved during that movement.

Thanks in advance

GoalieMel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
densetsu

vCash: 500
Remember, with any shot that's off the ice, the puck comes from the ice and angles up. See this poorly-drawn MS paint illustration.

Most of the time, you want to maximize the surface area of your catcher relative to the puck trajectory. The way to do that is hold the face of your trapper perpendicular to the trajectory. Usually, that means angling it down slightly. You'll often also want to have angle between the face and the pocket of the trapper to be the same as the puck trajectory, so the shot goes right into the pocket of your trapper for easier rebound control. Again, this means angling your trapper down slightly.

The conventional way is fine if you have time to track the puck -- say, for a shot from the point. I'd recommend angling the face of the trapper down, though. You don't have to be in the "fingers-up" trapper position like in the second picture, you can take the "conventional" position and angle the trapper down with your fingers still pointing out to the side.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote