HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ball Hockey help

Old
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
hbajwa96

vCash: 500
Ball Hockey help

OK, so I'm a big D-man that's played ball hockey for 7 years (In a league). I use a Nike Bauer One55 stick. Is there any way to improve the way i play? I'm usually a shut down D-man that likes to go on a sudden 'rushes' at times and go through the other team. And i love to poke check. Is there any way i can get better at poke checking? Being aggressive? Staying back?

hbajwa96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
AIREAYE

umm well, being 'aggressive' is innate...you can't practise any of those skills. They either exist or don't.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Stevie28

as theyre coming down, slow down on backing up, and poke check until until they've basically overrun you, now, if you havent poke checked the ball way yet, just get your body in the way, dont hit him, but body in the way, making him swere and lift his stick/swat the ball away.

(1 on 1 situation)

Stevie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbajwa96 View Post
OK, so I'm a big D-man that's played ball hockey for 7 years (In a league). I use a Nike Bauer One55 stick. Is there any way to improve the way i play? I'm usually a shut down D-man that likes to go on a sudden 'rushes' at times and go through the other team. And i love to poke check. Is there any way i can get better at poke checking? Being aggressive? Staying back?
It sounds like you play a very similar game to me, I'm also a defense first kind of guy, who likes to jump into the rush if I see an opening. Anyway I think your either aggressive or you aren't...it isn't something you can learn. And staying back has everything to do with jumping into the play at the right time, so you don't get caught in an odd man rush. Something you should work out with your forwards. Poke checking was already covered in another post, but it's pretty easy to get beat if you fail with your poke check, I close the gap gradually and than give the ball a swat, typically if you miss they'll try to make a move around you, or through your legs as long as you keep your momentum going you should be in a position to either take a few more swipes, or stop the ball with your feet. In theory anyway.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

an alternative to poke-checking could be stick lifting...though I don't recommend you do it in ball hockey, you might catch someone with a high stick

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
hbajwa96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
an alternative to poke-checking could be stick lifting...though I don't recommend you do it in ball hockey, you might catch someone with a high stick
I don't stick lift much because my stick's climbed up the my opponent's stick and i sometimes get a slashing penalty. So thats why i dont lift sticks.

hbajwa96 is offline   Reply With Quote