HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If the Coyotes move to Winnipeg...

Old
03-13-2011, 06:55 AM
RR

vCash: 500
If the Coyotes move to Winnipeg...

There is speculation that veterans like Doan, Whitney, Morris, and Aucoin will ask to be traded (to a team closer to home and their families (LA, ANA, SAN, COL, and DAL, the closest in proximity to PHX.).

In that case, what would you offer for each? There is no reason for PHX to sell low as NTCs and NMCs are irrelevant in regards to the move, but the players certainly have indicated no interest in heading that far north.

Also, Bryzgalov, Yandle, Jovanovski, and Vrbata could very well look to the open market for employment, with Bryz the biggest name, followed by Yandle. Yandle is an RFA, and rumblings are already being heard here his agent is very, very aware of the deal Byfuglien just signed.

So, speculate away.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:07 AM
NJD28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
There is speculation that veterans like Doan, Whitney, Morris, and Aucoin will ask to be traded (to a team closer to home and their families (LA, ANA, SAN, COL, and DAL, the closest in proximity to PHX.).

In that case, what would you offer for each? There is no reason for PHX to sell low as NTCs and NMCs are irrelevant in regards to the move, but the players certainly have indicated no interest in heading that far north.

Also, Bryzgalov, Yandle, Jovanovski, and Vrbata could very well look to the open market for employment, with Bryz the biggest name, followed by Yandle. Yandle is an RFA, and rumblings are already being heard here his agent is very, very aware of the deal Byfuglien just signed.

So, speculate away.
If I'm Phoenix I'd have no problem giving Yandle the same contract Byfuglien got. i'd be thrilled if that's all he was asking for.

Bryzgalov and Jovanovski will be a UFAs so they'll be able to choose their destinations. Doan probably has decent value, but not sure what Aucoin and Morris would yield. Teams could have signed Whitney this past-offseason, so not sure he'd bring back more than a mid draft pick.

NJD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Finnpin

I haven't followed this Jets back to Winnipeg for a while so how close could the move be?

I'd love to get Jets back on the NHL map...sorry PHX.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:41 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I haven't followed this Jets back to Winnipeg for a while so how close could the move be?

I'd love to get Jets back on the NHL map...sorry PHX.
move is all in the minds of the fans and some media who wants to stir the pot

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:03 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
move is all in the minds of the fans and some media who wants to stir the pot
I started this rumour, and got a couple buddies to expand it on the internet. Nothing to it. Winnipeg really doesn't have the fans , arena, or multi-billionaire owner.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I started this rumour, and got a couple buddies to expand it on the internet. Nothing to it. Winnipeg really doesn't have the fans , arena, or multi-billionaire owner.
From what I have read about other sun belt adventures Winnipeg is a better location to land a franchise than many other places (Quebec City and Hamilton are both logical spots as well - especially when owners grow out of this weird little Balsillie thing of their's). I can't understand why a player like Doan wouldn't want to move back to western Canada and build a life in hockey country. What part of "hockey is played in winter" are players having a hard time with?

I've been wondering about what would happen in the event of a move as well.

So Doan will probably want to remain in a warm weather spot so that limits the market for his services. Winnipeg would probably be lucky to get something like a first for him. The others would probably attract a grab bag of mid range players, prospects, and picks.

It would be interesting to see what happens with Bryzgalov. Would he sign in Winnipeg? Would he stay in a warm place? I don't know.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
From what I have read about other sun belt adventures Winnipeg is a better location to land a franchise than many other places (Quebec City and Hamilton are both logical spots as well - especially when owners grow out of this weird little Balsillie thing of their's). I can't understand why a player like Doan wouldn't want to move back to western Canada and build a life in hockey country. What part of "hockey is played in winter" are players having a hard time with?

I've been wondering about what would happen in the event of a move as well.

So Doan will probably want to remain in a warm weather spot so that limits the market for his services. Winnipeg would probably be lucky to get something like a first for him. The others would probably attract a grab bag of mid range players, prospects, and picks.

It would be interesting to see what happens with Bryzgalov. Would he sign in Winnipeg? Would he stay in a warm place? I don't know.
Probably cause he's already built a life, and doesn't want to have to move and start a new one, when his family probably have friends and other family in phx, its alot more than just "oh hey i love canada lets pack up all our **** and move cause i love hockey more than you all being happy."

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
probably cause he's already built a life, and doesn't want to have to move and start a new one, when his family probably have friends and other family in phx, its alot more than just "oh hey i love canada lets pack up all our **** and move cause i love hockey more than you all being happy."
He'll have to move regardless. No California team will want him and Dallas can't afford him.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:13 PM
patches67

I can see Doan riding it out and going back to Winnipeg. How good of a story would it be if the captain of a struggling franchise stuck with the team that drafted him and laced up his skates where it all began 16 years ago. Bryz I can see walking. Jovo, I would love to see in Winnipeg, but I can see him walking as well. Aucoin and Whitney would surely move.

However, there are players who would love an opportunity to play in a market that wo9ulod treat them like Gods, and I can't see them letting Doan, the only Jet left, to walk away. Hell, I guess if they could convince Selanne to play out a year in Winter-peg, that would be the only way to deal with Doan's loss.

patches67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

So Winnipeg would get what would resemble an expansion team without a goalie. That sounds like fun.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Kaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
So Winnipeg would get what would resemble an expansion team without a goalie. That sounds like fun.
Better then nothing. Plus what team doesn't want a chance at #1 overall.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaen View Post
Better then nothing. Plus what team doesn't want a chance at #1 overall.
From the perspective of a fan of this sadsack franchise since the day it entered the league, to see them having to almost start over just when it looks like they are poised to do well would suck. Hard.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Calary Sap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
From the perspective of a fan of this sadsack franchise since the day it entered the league, to see them having to almost start over just when it looks like they are poised to do well would suck. Hard.
At this point, wouldn't Winnipeg just be happy to have a franchise there again in general, regardless of a chance at first overall, not having a goalie, etc. I would think that if you rally around getting a franchise there in the first place as a fan, regardless of who's on the ice in the first season, you would go to support it as a whole. If you look at the 2010-11 avg attendance they couldn't be any worse than the bottom 5 of the Islanders, Coyotes, Thrashers, Jackets or Devils. That's just my thought anyway.

Calary Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:14 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

i see Doan who if iirc was a jet before the relocation, would love to retire in a jets jersey with the same organization he started with.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
I don't see Doan hating on Winnipeg. Maybe the others will but not Doan.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
What part of "hockey is played in winter" are players having a hard time with?
I didn't know it doesn't snow in places like Texas, California, Arizona...I wonder what all this white powdery stuff we had in December and January this year >.>

BTW does that mean we can take back the Blue Jays as baseball is played in the summer and you know spring training and winter meetings shouldn't have snow?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
BTW does that mean we can take back the Blue Jays as baseball is played in the summer and you know spring training and winter meetings shouldn't have snow?
Follow that criteria for baseball teams and a whole whack of them will be gone, not just Toronto.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:55 PM
BringTheReign

I have no idea what the Yotes would want for Doan, but if he was available I would expect he'd be Lombardi's number one target. He is a DL type player, and a King killer! We need him on our team so he stops hurting us on the scoresheet!

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
leoleo3535

Doan has a home in Kamloops BC and a ranch in Halkirk AB. as soon as the hockey season is over he is out of PHX asap.
Kamloops is 1900 k from Wpg and 2592 k from PHX.
Halkirk is 1241 k from Winnipeg and 2559 k from PHX.

Whitney's family lives in Raleigh NC. which is 3504 k from PHX....it is 2682 k from WPG.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Would they really trade Yandle?

He's only 24, boatloads of potential, and should score 60 points this year. I know he's an RFA, but really? They wouldn't trade guys like Aucoin and such, and allocate their money to Yandle?

03-13-2011, 02:10 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Would they really trade Yandle?

He's only 24, boatloads of potential, and should score 60 points this year. I know he's an RFA, but really? They wouldn't trade guys like Aucoin and such, and allocate their money to Yandle?
They shouldn't and won't. Of course, if Phoenix really wants one last "F-U" to Winnipeg they'll trade most of the teams and have the Jets stuck as a lottery team for the next 3 years.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Neester

Does anyone know how the NMC specifically operates with respect to franchise relocation? If Doan has a NMC in his contract, would moving the 'yotes back to Wpg be in violation of his contract? Of course, this assumes Doan decides not to waive his NMC. Maybe this is needless speculation, but I'd be interested to see what the ruling would be.

Neester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
umwoz

Stock up on 2012 first rounders, that draft looks stacked.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I didn't know it doesn't snow in places like Texas, California, Arizona...I wonder what all this white powdery stuff we had in December and January this year >.>
I said "winter" and not "snow". I know there's a difference. It snows in lots of places but I don't think the NHL would survive there for long.

As for the Jays you may want to look at a map. Toronto is as far south as American markets like Minnesota and Seattle.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I see Doan either retiring or kindly asking for a trade to either LA, Anaheim, Dallas, or Colorado. I could see Derek Morris asking for a trade, too. Aucoin and Whitney only have a year left. They would be better off just sucking it up and moving with the team. Yandle doesnt have any leverage. Bryzgalov would be as good as gone, though.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote