HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on the Northwest

View Poll Results: The Wild would be better served in the..
Northwest Division 3 20.00%
Central Division 9 60.00%
Neither -- overhaul the 6 x 5 divisional configuration 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Two teams move; divisions get all the more effed up.

Atlanta to Quebec City and Phoenix back to Winnipeg.

Map that one out.
van-cal-edm-wpg-min
sj-la-ana-col-dal
chi-stl-det-nas-cbj

que-mtl-otw-tor-buf
bos-nyr-nyi-nj-phi
pit-was-car-fla-tb

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
sushinsky4tsar

As long as the league is 6 x 5, I think Minnesota gets the short straw (in terms of the pro-Central sentiment).

we are...
1. "practically Canadian"
2 have pre-existing ties to the Northwest.
3. at the bottom of the seniority totem pole. (no way does San Jose get banished from the California division to appease our desire to join the Central)
4. not exactly an arch rival for the Central Cities
5. mid-market

After all, we should just be happy we got our team back. We shouldn't actually have any say in what division we play in.

There would almost need to be push out of Chicago/Detroit/St. Louis to reunite the old Norris. From their perspective, I don't think we bring anything to the table that Columbus or Nashville doesn't already. Even if there was lingering Norris sentiment, much of it would probably be directed towards bringing back the Stars, rather than bringing back Minnesota. Besides, Dallas is operating at a greater time zone deficit in the Pacific.

Old
03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It already feels like Minnesota is a fifth wheel in their division; Winnipeg getting a team would make it official.
Maybe we could give a Winnipeg-Minny rivalry a boost with a Hinterland Classic played at Lake of the Woods. Draw center ice right down the Manitoba-Minnesota border.

Old
03-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
That would be a horrendous travel schedule for Vancouver. Vancouver + Edmonton + Calgary makes sense because you know we have to play rivals what? 6-8 times a year? Yeah Vancouver wants to fly down 16 times to southern LA. That's terrible flight. Edmonton and Calgary make sense.

Problem is, we need two more teams in the Northwest.
You would rather travel to Edmonton in December than SoCal?

One solution would be to fold the Leafs and move that franchise to Seattle.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
To be honest, I hate everything about being in this division.

Being an expansion franchise, there were no rivals to begin with. To throw this team into the mix of teams which they did pretty much ensures there will never be any true rivalry for this team. Outside of speaking to the occasional visiting fan at the X, I can count on one hand the amount of divisional fans I've actually spoken to. Amongst other things, interacting daily with opposing fans creates fairly heated rivalries.

This area has built in rivalries with other certain cities due to the North Stars and definitely other major sports/colleges. It's too bad the NHL couldn't find a way to play off of that.

I do agree with Jarick, though. I prefer East/West. No divisions.
It wouldn't of mattered

Hawks fans hated the North Stars ,,, We would never view the Wild the sameway we did the North Stars

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Best scenario would be Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Chicago and Minnesota
That kills Hawks rivalry with Wings (Who I assume you move East)

I doubt Western owners would be happy seeing one of the biggest road draws in NHL leave our conf

If Coyotes move back to Winnipeg it is hard because the Canucks/Oilers/Flames all want to be in same div (Fans and Canadian networks want it) so Winnipeg would have to join them and the Wild are closest team to them

LA , Ana , SJ , Col , Dal
Van , Edm , Win , Cal , Min
Chi , Det , Stl , Nas , Clb

If the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg this is what you would probably see IMO

LA , Ana , SJ , Pho , Col
Van , Win , Cal , Edm , Min
Dal , Chi , Det , Stl , Clb

Preds move to East and into Southeast division

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:02 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I think that's probably the dream division for a lot of people voting for the Central. Maybe swap DET/COL.
Detroit goes East.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
melinko

vCash: 2551
While it would make sense to play in the central so much would have to change to the detriment of other teams that I can't see it happening.

I sorta like the idea of being paired with all the Canadian teams, 4 fanbases that all have kids/adults that grow up playing hockey would make the atmosphere at the games better and over time it would feel natural. Just takes time.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:38 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
As long as the league is 6 x 5, I think Minnesota gets the short straw (in terms of the pro-Central sentiment).

we are...
1. "practically Canadian"
2 have pre-existing ties to the Northwest.
3. at the bottom of the seniority totem pole. (no way does San Jose get banished from the California division to appease our desire to join the Central)
4. not exactly an arch rival for the Central Cities
5. mid-market

After all, we should just be happy we got our team back. We shouldn't actually have any say in what division we play in.

There would almost need to be push out of Chicago/Detroit/St. Louis to reunite the old Norris. From their perspective, I don't think we bring anything to the table that Columbus or Nashville doesn't already. Even if there was lingering Norris sentiment, much of it would probably be directed towards bringing back the Stars, rather than bringing back Minnesota. Besides, Dallas is operating at a greater time zone deficit in the Pacific.
1. Thems fighting words.
2. What ties?
3. Yes
4. Football and baseball say different
5. Yes

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
While it would make sense to play in the central so much would have to change to the detriment of other teams that I can't see it happening.

I sorta like the idea of being paired with all the Canadian teams, 4 fanbases that all have kids/adults that grow up playing hockey would make the atmosphere at the games better and over time it would feel natural. Just takes time.
This is kind of how I feel. It's not ideal, but there are worse things than being paired with 4 traditional, hockey mad markets. Every game in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary has a distinct feel to it. It's almost like their version of a Vikings home game. You won't find that anywhere else (the Northeast I suppose). St. Louis and Chicago are great U.S. hockey markets. But it just doesn't have the same energy. I'd be more adamant about a Central reunion if it meant Chicago Stadium, and Maple Leaf Garden were part of the package, but they're not.

Old
03-17-2011, 09:44 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
1. Thems fighting words.
2. What ties?
3. Yes
4. Football and baseball say different
5. Yes
1. Not my words, just the general consensus of the apathetic, North American hockey-going public

2. Well, we have competed in the Northwest for ten years now. The Sharks (or any other team that we want to stick in the NW) have not.

4. Yes, there's no doubt the Central is both closer, American, and tied to us in MLB/NFL/Big Ten. But getting the Wild to the Central really doesn't do anything for anybody else besides us. Detroit might want more Originial Six action, but Columbus at least gives them a border battle. I think St. Paul is farther from St. Louis than Nashville/Columbus. It's not like the Hawks mod can jump on a commuter train and be at the steps of the X in 90 minutes.

Now if our NHL team had the history/name recognition of the Twins and Vikings, it might be a different story. But alas, we're just another boring expansion team with a stupid name to most of the rest of the league.