HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Shootouts: Yes or No

View Poll Results: Shootouts to decide NHL games, YES or NO?
Yes 115 46.37%
No 133 53.63%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Knucklez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Shootouts?

Absolutely...

...in intramurals, pond hockey, my rec league team, Pee Wees, the Olympics and as an experiment in the AHL.

In the NHL, never...

...unless you wish to also decides ties in basketball with slam dunk contests, ties in football with "Longest Throw" competitions, and ties in baseball with Home Run Derby.

Shootouts in the NHL: Made for TV and those who can't find enough excitement in anything as is. A gimmick to those of us who still value hockey as a total team sport.

Exactly. If you're a true hockey fan you should find hockey exciting the way it is, you shouldn't need a shootout to get excited about overtime. And why would we hurt a team's chance at winning a game, or even making the playoffs, by making the game more exciting? That's not fair to the players.

Old
07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Common theme in this thread:

Quote:
"Shootouts are exciting."
Yes.
Quote:
"Shootouts are individual and do not use teamwork."
I think the most exciting plays in hockey are odd-man rushes. Sorry, but everywhere else in hockey you really can't see the play develop and say "holy crap here comes a scoring opportunity" -- especially on TV. Sometimes you can notice the scoring opportunity open up when watching from the seats, but even so there is no more transparent and exciting thing in hockey than the breakaway. One-on-one is where this sport lives and dies. Sorry but "half-court hockey" is not why any of you watch the sport.
Quote:
"Shootouts area cheap way to decide a tie."
First, what is cheaper, getting one point for a tie or getting one point for breaking that tie.
Second, how much cheaper is it?

Old
07-06-2004, 04:57 PM
zeppelin97

I think the league needs an injection of excitement. Some way. Any way. I'd be reluctant, but i'd say yes to shootouts.

It works ok in soccer and thats supposed to be the greatest, most watched sport on earth.

Old
07-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
This is unnecessary because these sports do not have tie games.
The major pro-shootout argument is that it eliminates tie games.
You can have a tie in the NFL, though they are admittedly rare.

My thinking is that ties have NEVER been an issue in century's worth of hockey. Now, suddenly, its a big deal?

Seems to me that there are much bigger fish to fry when it comes to making radical changes to the sport. And make no mistake, shootouts would be a radical change.

Old
07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
revolverjgw

I'm STILL bothered and haunted by that shootout at Nagano... both because of Wayne getting shafted, AND the fact that... well, it was a SHOOTOUT, fer Chrissakes!

It's true that skill is something special and it would be nice for the skilled players to get to showcase them, minus the clutching, grabbing and obstruction. So... do something about those evil things. Defense, physical play, coaching... they're all just as integral as skill, and I hate to see games decided with those factors taken out of the equation.

Old
07-06-2004, 06:10 PM
ttnorm

Shootouts are great in the movies.

Unfortunately, they have nothing to do with the game of hockey.

Old
07-06-2004, 06:57 PM
PecaFan

Frankly, if ties are "boring" to someone, then they're not really a hockey fan.

Take two games. A ends in a 2-2 tie. B ends 3-2, with the winning goal being scored at 19:59 of the third. So A is boring, but B is not? They were exactly the same game for 59 minutes and 59 seconds. You don't know a game is a tie until the final buzzer goes.

If you find ties boring, then you only care about the result, and not the process of a hockey game.

Old
07-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Missionhockey

Ties are never boring, but they are un-satisfying.

Old
07-06-2004, 08:06 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

What if the shootout isnt to decide who gets the win. Its to decide who gets the tie. The winner of the shootout gets the one point. Thats why it only works in the regular season. You dont have ties in the playoffs. Obviously you cant put the players through unlimited OT in an 82 game regular season to settle it properly. But it must be settled.

I dont find it such an affront to purists old school principles. It is time for the game to make this change. It is revenue generating. It is star making. It is fun. It discourages teams from trapping because ties are like wins. It is a great chance to use the pure skills needed in hockey. The more skilled team will usually win.

What if at the end of the game, the refs add up all the missed calls for each team, and each team gets a penalty shot for each missed call. It may not be even. To decide who gets the single point for the tie.

Old
07-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
No offense meant to proponents, but I'm kind of surprised to see that the voting is this close.
I'm surprised too. Usually when this gets discussed it seems more like 90% no and 10% yes.

I really don't care if a game ends in a tie, personally.

Old
07-06-2004, 09:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Is there a hell no choice?

I'll go one step further. I would get rid of OT altogether. Save it for the postseason.

Old
07-06-2004, 09:18 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Is there a hell no choice?

I'll go one step further. I would get rid of OT altogether. Save it for the postseason.
agreed!

Shootouts are completely over-rated.

I don't mind ties...playoffs are all that matter anyway.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesadd
Awww...damn SKILL won. Wouldn't skill to win the game now would we? Especially not in a skill game.
Why not just have a fight. Fighting is a skill after all. Hockey is about fighting through checks, sneaking into open slots, laying a check on a player too, these are all skills. Being able to score soft 1-0 shootout style goals is in essense saying that skill is more important than every other skill.

How about these tie breakers

a) fastest player around the rink carrying the puck.
b) best body check 1 forward v 1 d-man
c) forechecking comp, 1 forward v 1 dman in a no icing chase. first to get the puck and shoot it to a fixed point wins.

etc. These are every bit as valid as a shootout.

Adding a shootout/anything else when there is no need for a shootout doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by me2: 07-06-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old
07-06-2004, 10:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97
I think the league needs an injection of excitement. Some way. Any way. I'd be reluctant, but i'd say yes to shootouts.

It works ok in soccer and thats supposed to be the greatest, most watched sport on earth.

Shoot outs in soccer? 99% of soccer does NOT have shootouts. English premier have shootouts during their main season? Nope. Other Euro leagues? Nope. European Club Championship (nope, they allow draws in the home and away, and prefer home-away goals as the tie breaker if they can).

Shootouts in soccer are usually reserved for special situations where there MUST be a result because its a one off game (ala a quater final, a semi etc).

Old
07-07-2004, 01:52 AM
bleedgreen

i vote yes just because i feel its inevitable. the league is leaning that way, so lets just get it over with. try it for a season or two, if everyone still hates it and it hasnt helped at all, get rid of it and the discussion is over. i think it will definitely bring new fans and add some life to the regular season. i think the people who are the most against it are the hardcore fans who would be on these boards, who are the minority in the end.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:26 AM
tripledekehockey

Send a message via ICQ to tripledekehockey Send a message via AIM to tripledekehockey
for now, i voted no, but i think it will eventually finds its way into the nhl

i dont think games should be decided on one-on-one skill individually versus a goaltender

Old
07-07-2004, 07:37 AM
bert2nazzy

Send a message via MSN to bert2nazzy
In all star games yes, in the NHL, no.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Chili

A question for the folks who voted yes...

Would you equate a win earned in regulation time (or OT) with a shootout win (i.e. 2 points for each)...or if a shootout was enacted should a regulation win become three points?

Old
07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
Ties are never boring, but they are un-satisfying.
Didn't some Canadian(?) hockey player say that "ties are like kissing your sister"?

And if there's a lock-out next season, expect the St. Louis Blues' minor league team to win several of these shootouts.

And "me2", in soccer shooutouts are reserved for cup competitions, such as the FA Cup, World Cup, Champion's League playoffs. Away goals count only when there are 2-leg cup-matches.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Yes. There is nothing worse than paying to see a tie

Old
07-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Chili

For me, the entertainment value and final score are separate items. A team can get an early lead and play the trap all night and eventually win. A back and forth game with offence and lead changes that ends in a draw would have alot higher EV. i.e. the entertainment is in the play on the ice, not in the final score.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Dream of Janney
Shorty Longback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Yes. There is nothing worse than paying to see a tie.
I completely disagree.

I don't see how the outcome of the game matters as long as its a good one. Say your team trounces another 6-0, totally lopsided, the other team didn't even show up. While you're happy your team won convincingly, the fact still remains a 0-0 tie could've be as/more exciting. Good saves, nice plays, and a physical game is a lot more important to me than seeing one team go home with a 'W'.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:13 AM
PsychoDeli

Send a message via AIM to PsychoDeli
I would favor shootouts only if they were done during the regular season.. and after a 5min 4 on 4, sudden death overtime period.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
Didn't some Canadian(?) hockey player say that "ties are like kissing your sister"?

And if there's a lock-out next season, expect the St. Louis Blues' minor league team to win several of these shootouts.

And "me2", in soccer shooutouts are reserved for cup competitions, such as the FA Cup, World Cup, Champion's League playoffs. Away goals count only when there are 2-leg cup-matches.

That was my point. Soccer tries to avoid the shootout if possible. I don't think we need to see one in NHL regular season game.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:31 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Yes. There is nothing worse than paying to see a tie
Paying to see a loss?

Closed Thread