HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Spezza

Old
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
HappyGilmour

vCash: 500
Jason Spezza

Hey all,

While I was watching the game on the radio last night, Jason Spezza came on for an interview and was discussing all the issues regarding headshots and concussions around the league.

Let me say this, I was blown away by the maturity Jason displayed during the interview. His maturity over the years (this interview especially) has really progressed.

Don't look now, but all signs are pointing to Jason quietly emerging as an elite leader for this franchise. I think this interview could be a turning point in his maturity.

Discuss.

HappyGilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmour View Post
I think this interview could be a turning point in his maturity.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Yeah he's maturing and his interviews are getting better. You can tell for a while now that there's been a concerted effort on his part to improve his image as a mature leader/professional. I'm sure he's well aware this team is banking on their best offensive player becoming their next captain...at the moment we have no one we'd like to give it to more. There are better leaders out there surely, but he appears to be making strides in that regard as the seasons move on.

That, and the guy really needs an elite winger to play with.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:42 AM
AlwaysSens

Quote:
Hey all,

While I was watching the game on the radio last night, Jason Spezza came on for an interview and was discussing all the issues regarding headshots and concussions around the league.

Let me say this, I was blown away by the maturity Jason displayed during the interview. His maturity over the years (this interview especially) has really progressed.

Don't look now, but all signs are pointing to Jason quietly emerging as an elite leader for this franchise. I think this interview could be a turning point in his maturity.

Discuss.
That's a fancy radio you got there

AlwaysSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
SenatorsFC

Send a message via MSN to SenatorsFC
Maturity = the new stamina?

SenatorsFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
enviro61

That is some serious extrapoloation you got going on there. I saw him shopping the other day and the way he knew what fruits and veggies to choose over the others left a lasting impression on me that this guy can make the difficult decisions when it matters...true leadership qualities there.

discuss.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSens View Post
Or a terrible TV

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
hockeyalltheway
Let's win it all -MR

vCash: 50
Spezza's been maturing all year long, but I, for one, hope the goofy giggle never leaves.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:12 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Or a terrible TV
wut?

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
TheBandWagon

This season, in the almighty suckage that has transpired, has turned me into a Jason Spezza believer. The guy looks possessed out on the ice and apparently in the room as well. If God himself has alluded to the fact he thinks Spez should be the next captain, that alone should be a sign he's fit for the job. I think that Spez has kind of taken note that Alfy isnt getting any younger and its going to be his team soon. Remember back when ppl rode Alfy hard? Spez is going through the same thing and he's gonna be a beast next year. vbookie it

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
HappyGilmour

You can tell he's alot more poised in his interviews, especially the one yesterday. His elite leadership/maturity seems to be rubbing off on alot of the young guys. (Condra)

Old
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorsFC View Post
LOL!

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Spezza's been maturing all year long, but I, for one, hope the goofy giggle never leaves.

It's been alluded to that marriage and fatherhood have helped Jason's maturity- there's a definite fork in the road when you become a father.

I'm encouraged that he seems to finally be "getting it" as I've been frustrated and embarrassed by his attitude in the past. He's certainly come a long way in a relatively short time, and hope that trend continues.

I still think he needs to simplify his game a little. I remember being shocked a couple years back when he returned from injury and I saw him actually dump the puck in to the offensive zone. Personally I'm a puck-possession guy, but there's definitely a time to just get it deep, and he was doing the little things like taking what the opponent gave him. Eventually he seemed to revert to his natural habits, but if he can continue to minimize his turnovers and make the easy pass more often, it will keep his defenders off-guard and open up the cross-seam pass- rather than having 4 defenders standing like batters over the plate waiting to pick one off. The same way that he's been shooting more the last couple of years and that has backed D-men off- he needs to keep evolving and expanding his arsenal to become the player that his talent reflects.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSens View Post
LOL, i was going reply about that before even looking at the rest of the posts. Good thing i did.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

It's been alluded to that marriage and fatherhood have helped Jason's maturity- there's a definite fork in the road when you become a father.

I'm encouraged that he seems to finally be "getting it" as I've been frustrated and embarrassed by his attitude in the past. He's certainly come a long way in a relatively short time, and hope that trend continues.

I still think he needs to simplify his game a little. I remember being shocked a couple years back when he returned from injury and I saw him actually dump the puck in to the offensive zone. Personally I'm a puck-possession guy, but there's definitely a time to just get it deep, and he was doing the little things like taking what the opponent gave him. Eventually he seemed to revert to his natural habits, but if he can continue to minimize his turnovers and make the easy pass more often, it will keep his defenders off-guard and open up the cross-seam pass- rather than having 4 defenders standing like batters over the plate waiting to pick one off. The same way that he's been shooting more the last couple of years and that has backed D-men off- he needs to keep evolving and expanding his arsenal to become the player that his talent reflects.
I don't think he needs to simplify things more. I remember when he needed to. He would always turn the puck over. Everyone said "simplify things" and then we started dumping it in all the time and never created offense.

Dumping is fine, when you're changing, or when you have a guy speeding through that you know will get there first. If not, you're just giving the puck away. I think with spezza, he should look to carry it in (if both D and a forward are behind him for support) or else his talent is being put to waste.

I've seen this team dump it in way too many times before without having much drive to get to the puck first to hold it in. I guess a lot of that depends on the coach's system. In 07's cup run with muray,i would say dump it in alot. We were soooo hard on the forecheck. Under clouston i say carry it in because we never get to the puck first.

For the dump ins to work, you need the first guy going full stride first on the puck. The second forward should go to one side of the boards, the other on the other side, with both D jumping at the point to hold it in.

I've seen way too many dump in where we don't do this, and they just ring it around the boards(where is that second forward?) and the D are still in the neutral zone not holding the blueline. How are we supposed to create offense like that?

Again, dump and chase can be very effective if the coach and players know what they're doing. If not, you're just giving the puck away.

Old
03-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorsFC View Post
Uh oh.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Clive Barley
Condra Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
That is some serious extrapoloation you got going on there. I saw him shopping the other day and the way he knew what fruits and veggies to choose over the others left a lasting impression on me that this guy can make the difficult decisions when it matters...true leadership qualities there.

discuss.
lol... awesome.

Clive Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

I think we should draft Landeskog -- he has displayed maturity beyond his years.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I don't think he needs to simplify things more. I remember when he needed to. He would always turn the puck over. Everyone said "simplify things" and then we started dumping it in all the time and never created offense.

Dumping is fine, when you're changing, or when you have a guy speeding through that you know will get there first. If not, you're just giving the puck away. I think with spezza, he should look to carry it in (if both D and a forward are behind him for support) or else his talent is being put to waste.

I've seen this team dump it in way too many times before without having much drive to get to the puck first to hold it in. I guess a lot of that depends on the coach's system. In 07's cup run with muray,i would say dump it in alot. We were soooo hard on the forecheck. Under clouston i say carry it in because we never get to the puck first.

For the dump ins to work, you need the first guy going full stride first on the puck. The second forward should go to one side of the boards, the other on the other side, with both D jumping at the point to hold it in.

I've seen way too many dump in where we don't do this, and they just ring it around the boards(where is that second forward?) and the D are still in the neutral zone not holding the blueline. How are we supposed to create offense like that?

Again, dump and chase can be very effective if the coach and players know what they're doing. If not, you're just giving the puck away.
Like I said- I'm a puck-possession guy, but there's a time to just get it deep. I'm not saying Spezza needs to dump the puck in a lot more- he just needs to do it sometimes rather than try to beat 2 or more defenders which is what he used to try (and sometimes succeed) if he doesn't have support.

My point was about him processing the situation and making a play accordingly. For a time it seemed like teams had a "book" on Spezza. It's not as obvious anymore. If guys want to try to stand Spez up at the blueline, there's no harm in him chipping and chasing himself. It's not an automatic giveaway- but if it is, it's a giveaway behind their net as opposed to a giveaway at the blueline.

But I agree that our forecheck has been terrible under Clouston.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
HappyGilmour

Quote:
You can tell he's alot more poised in his interviews, especially the one yesterday. His elite leadership/maturity seems to be rubbing off on alot of the young guys. (Condra)
Agreed.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

His maturity crushed Matt Cooke last night.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Like I said- I'm a puck-possession guy, but there's a time to just get it deep. I'm not saying Spezza needs to dump the puck in a lot more- he just needs to do it sometimes rather than try to beat 2 or more defenders which is what he used to try (and sometimes succeed) if he doesn't have support.

My point was about him processing the situation and making a play accordingly. For a time it seemed like teams had a "book" on Spezza. It's not as obvious anymore. If guys want to try to stand Spez up at the blueline, there's no harm in him chipping and chasing himself. It's not an automatic giveaway- but if it is, it's a giveaway behind their net as opposed to a giveaway at the blueline.

But I agree that our forecheck has been terrible under Clouston.
Yeah, i just rambled on about how our forecheck has been under clouston. I agree with what you're saying in making the right decision.

Clouston has just made me sour on dump ins.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.
Anyone see anything wrong here?

Look carefully.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

Look carefully.
Would be a lot funnier if he disagreed.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

Look carefully.
lol here i am trying to come up with a sex reference with maturity/ rubbing off on condra...

Then noticed someone agreed with themselves. lol