HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Satan to LA?

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 03:09 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
What about Satan to LA?

LA seems to have a decent amount of payroll to use, and with Palffy rejecting the offer, they could be great trading partners.

I was thinking of something like :

Satan + prospect (Mike Ryan maybe?) to LA for Grebeshkov + Aaron Miller.

I think in a year or so Grebeshkov could be Kalinin's partner on the blueline for the next 7-8 years, and Miller would fill an immediate need by giving us someone to pair with McKee in the 2nd pairing. Then Kalinin - Tallinder and Brown - Jillson wouldn't be TOO bad. The way I see it is that Brown will cover Jillson's mistakes, and being paired with Kalinin might jolt Tallinder's development a bit.

What do you guys think?

Old
07-05-2004, 03:13 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Nah,if we were going to trade Satan it should have been to Philly for Woywitka...guess it's too late now.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Nah,if we were going to trade Satan it should have been to Philly for Woywitka...guess it's too late now.

?? So what?

Value-wise I like the deal from Buffalo's end but I think it might be tilted our way. A pick might have to balance but that's no big deal. What is a big deal is the fact that I thought Miller had no interest playing in Buffalo. Or at least for Ruff.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:38 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
not bad deal, i think they'll ask for more tho. im not sure.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Moskau

I think Satan to Detroit would occur first...

LA seems to be serious about rebuilding, and I don't see how adding a guy who is inconsistent, makes 5.5 Million, and will in all likelyhood be a UFA after the next hockey season help a young team.

The only time we would have been able to ship Miro to LA was the minute after Palffy was done for the season.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:17 PM
lecherous

But I think LA will be looking for someone to replace Palffy's scoring touch, and Satan would fit the bill and be cheaper salary-wise than their offer to Palffy.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
I like the idea of that trade, however, I'd want someone other than Aaron Miller. I'd like a forward back in return. Perhaps a Sean Avery type player. I'm sure Buffalo would have to add on, but he would be a huge addition to this team. I don't know how much Buffalo would have to add, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:51 PM
maximil

That's a bad offer from an Kings prospective. I'd probably do Miller for Satan though.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:43 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
sabres rule!!!!.....but Satan for Woywitka....why would you have wanted that....from philly you could get Carter + woywitka(when he was there) for satan

Old
07-05-2004, 06:23 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life
sabres rule!!!!.....but Satan for Woywitka....why would you have wanted that....from philly you could get Carter + woywitka(when he was there) for satan
No the most rumored deal was Woywitka and Justin Williams for Zhitnik and Satan...I would have done that in a second (during the bankruptcy)

Old
07-05-2004, 07:25 PM
lecherous

The thing is, they wouldn't get nearly this much if they waited for the deadline, but I think that if they traded him now, they would definitely get a much better return, which should be the point considering we're still 3 years away from Stanley Cup competition. Even without Satan I think we could still squeak in at the #7-8 spot as long as we re-allocate the salary from Satan and Zhitnik leaving towards a quality d-man to pair with Kalinin.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
TVanek26*

3-4 years from Stanley Cup Contention??

Whenever we get a young Dominik Hasek,then we'll be in Cup Contention...until then we're nowhere even close.You think in 3-4 years this core of players will be great?Or in 3-4 years you actually expect the Sabres to open up the wallet?If I was optimistic I would,but I am a realist,I know that's never going to happen.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
3-4 years from Stanley Cup Contention??

Whenever we get a young Dominik Hasek,then we'll be in Cup Contention...until then we're nowhere even close.You think in 3-4 years this core of players will be great?Or in 3-4 years you actually expect the Sabres to open up the wallet?If I was optimistic I would,but I am a realist,I know that's never going to happen.
OK buddy....

Sorta like Calgary coming 1 game away from being champs this season? Or the Hurricanes or Ducks in previous years?

It's not about buying the best "snipers" when you're a small market team, it's about a team with a good system, players that believe in each other and a nice blend of talent, grit, speed, veterans, youngsters etc.

Anything can happen, and personally I like the direction the Sabres are taking at the moment...if anyone of our goalies can live up to their "ceiling" or "potential", we should expect good things down the road.

I have always wanted to ask you this question:

"WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THE SABRES?"

Old
07-05-2004, 09:04 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
OK buddy....

Sorta like Calgary coming 1 game away from being champs this season? Or the Hurricanes or Ducks in previous years?

It's not about buying the best "snipers" when you're a small market team, it's about a team with a good system, players that believe in each other and a nice blend of talent, grit, speed, veterans, youngsters etc.

Anything can happen, and personally I like the direction the Sabres are taking at the moment...if anyone of our goalies can live up to their "ceiling" or "potential", we should expect good things down the road.

I have always wanted to ask you this question:

"WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THE SABRES?"

That's a bad example of using the Ducks and Hurricanes is that after they're cinderalla run they blow now.I'm also thinking that the Flames miss the playoffs also this year.

And what do I expect from the Sabres?To field a team that will contend for the cup.I don't want a team that is scratching to make the playoffs,I want a team that people think can win the cup.Obviously,no one thinks we can win it,and neither do I.It's funny that Sabre fans and other people say that Buffalo's 2 or 3 years away from contending for the cup,which is what they've been saying for awhile now.

Old
07-06-2004, 12:33 AM
TVanek26*

Actually I would deal Satan to L.A. for 5 million bucks...maybe then we would actually sign a good FA :bonk:

Old
07-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
LA seems to have a decent amount of payroll to use, and with Palffy rejecting the offer, they could be great trading partners.

I was thinking of something like :

Satan + prospect (Mike Ryan maybe?) to LA for Grebeshkov + Aaron Miller.

I think in a year or so Grebeshkov could be Kalinin's partner on the blueline for the next 7-8 years, and Miller would fill an immediate need by giving us someone to pair with McKee in the 2nd pairing. Then Kalinin - Tallinder and Brown - Jillson wouldn't be TOO bad. The way I see it is that Brown will cover Jillson's mistakes, and being paired with Kalinin might jolt Tallinder's development a bit.

What do you guys think?
LA, as mentioned, is in a serious rebuild and I doubt they have any interest in moving any prospects at all right now. Miller has indicated he has no desire to come here and have to deal with the pressures of playing in his hometown.

It would likely make more sense to look for a contending team at the next deadline for possible trade partnership, particularly if they're out of playoff contention OR try to tie him up to a more market-value/post-CBA deal before then.

As it stands, any of the forwards considered on the outs (or simply more expendable) might be the best bet to move for a defenseman---Kotalik, Connolly, possibly Afinogenov...

07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
That's a bad example of using the Ducks and Hurricanes is that after they're cinderalla run they blow now.I'm also thinking that the Flames miss the playoffs also this year.

And what do I expect from the Sabres?To field a team that will contend for the cup.I don't want a team that is scratching to make the playoffs,I want a team that people think can win the cup.Obviously,no one thinks we can win it,and neither do I.It's funny that Sabre fans and other people say that Buffalo's 2 or 3 years away from contending for the cup,which is what they've been saying for awhile now.
This from the guy who called the Isles successful.

Old
07-06-2004, 12:40 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
This from the guy who called the Isles successful.

Well compared to us,yeah they are pretty successful.Because their owner already opened up the pocketbook to bring in talent,something that our 3 past owners haven't done.Last year was a pass for Golisano because that was his first season,but now it's going to be his 2nd,and if he wants to bring a winner to Buffalo he better open up his wallet.

Old
07-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Well compared to us,yeah they are pretty successful.Because their owner already opened up the pocketbook to bring in talent,something that our 3 past owners haven't done.Last year was a pass for Golisano because that was his first season,but now it's going to be his 2nd,and if he wants to bring a winner to Buffalo he better open up his wallet.
I'm sorry, for what the Isles gave up both in terms of money and player personnel to put that team together, three straight first round exits, the last two going out with barely a whimper, isn't success in my books. It's failure. I don't want that.

May I suggest a separate model: the Lightning.

Closed Thread