HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated profiles, ratings, rankings?

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 02:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Updated profiles, ratings, rankings?

Is Eriks or Brian going to do this for the Nashville page on hockeys future? We can pull from McKeens and Nashville's site for brief scouting reports or just use talent quotes for the scouting part of the player profiles. We have a redone top 20. I hate that Nashville gets little recognition here, mainly due to our sub par profile page.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Holly Gunning

I am assigning one of our best pool writers to the Nashville page going forward and he is in the process of doing the draft review as we speak.

Contrary to popular belief, all teams are treated equally by the committee that does the prospect and organizational rankings, as it is mostly made up of people who see junior teams, not people from NHL cities.

Old
07-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
I am assigning one of our best pool writers to the Nashville page going forward and he is in the process of doing the draft review as we speak.

Contrary to popular belief, all teams are treated equally by the committee that does the prospect and organizational rankings, as it is mostly made up of people who see junior teams, not people from NHL cities.
which makes more sense...thank you HollyG

Old
07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:

All teams may be treated equally in the sense that everyone is included and talked about. But we have been told by a writer or two that a lack of contributor to the major discussions hurts us in the overall rankings. Writers oftentimes tend to be more familiar with the prospects of their own teams. I guarantee that if you grabbed a writer from another team's page and asked him to compile a rankings of our best prospects with respect to his team, his will get the benefit of the doubt. It's completely understandable and acceptable that this happens. What we as Preds fans want is our representative. Maybe Eriks is that guy, who knows? He sees a lot of AHL hockey and most Preds have played in the AHL at some point in time. I don't complain about the system (for the most part), but our lack of representation has to hurt us. It's just human nature. When discussion's for top Dman prospect come up and everyone is throwing out Phaneuf's name, it'd be nice to have someone really push for Suter. I realize that several NCAA writers will do the same, but it's nice to have that actual representative that most of the other teams do.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Holly Gunning

There were only 10 people on the committee, most of whom were not folks in NHL cities. It's a huge stretch to say that this was unfair to Nashville. You'd have to say it was unfair to about 25 other teams as well. No one from Montreal was on the committee and they came out on top. Every team thinks HF is biased against them it seems.

Old
07-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
There were only 10 people on the committee, most of whom were not folks in NHL cities. It's a huge stretch to say that this was unfair to Nashville. You'd have to say it was unfair to about 25 other teams as well. No one from Montreal was on the committee and they came out on top. Every team thinks HF is biased against them it seems.
No, I would not say it is a stretch, when we have what appears to be our most successful draft in our history, with 14 picks, 4 in the top 50, 8 in the first 3 rounds.....and we drop 7 spots. Not to mention that the majority of our picks, even though they get little press now, were consensus first round picks AND top 50 in almost every pre-draft ranking. Since then, almost all have performed admirably, and Weber/Lassila have stepped it up big time.

You don't draft: Suter, Stehlick, Klein, Lassila, Weber, Sulzer, Shafigulin, AND Glazachev in one draft.......and fall back 7 organizational rankings. I would say the committee is as fair as it can be, but when they go to our hf page.....and it doesn't even have our most intriguing prospects ranked, or mentioned in the top 20.......or even bio's on hardly any of our players.....we are going to get poor marks. Our HF page, atm, is a downright joke...

Last edited by Enoch: 07-05-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old
07-05-2004, 07:56 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Holly, we really do appreciate the effort we just get a little tired of our page some. Really try to go to our page and tell me about Shea Weber, one of our top prospects according to Poile, he isn't even listed. Our rankings are three times more conservative than most teams. Suter by most counts is a top defensive prospect, and yet he only ranks a 7.5, so he barely ranks a top pairing defenseman? What does Coburn rank or Ryan Whitney? I'd say Weber deserves a 7.5, as he has top 4 potential as does Klien, but I'm a little biased.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:24 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
I don't mean to come out and rub salt in an old wound here, but upon looking through an old issue of Hockey's Future's magazine .. (the premiere issue, my man Laurence Heinen hooked me up with a copy after I had won a rhyming batt .. you know, none of that really matters, .. the main point: I didn't end up getting jostled out of money by paying for a subscription )

ANYWAY ..

In a 2003 draft issue ranking the first round, the following Predators were ranked by Hockey's Future to go in the 1st:

10. Konstantin Glazachev
- (LW, Russia: Skilled forward recently made his Russian Superleague debut. A speedy winger with a booming shot, Glazachev can mix it up physically as well. Good confidence and goes to the net aggressively.)

13. Ryan Suter
- (D, US Development: Ryan is the son of Bob Suter - a member of U.S. 1980 "Miracle on Ice" squad. He's a promising offensive defenseman who excels as a puck distributor. Suter suited up for the gold-medal winning U.S. U-18 squad last spring.)

25. Kevin Klein
- (D, St. Michael's: A swift skating blueliner and an exceptional puck handler, Klein possesses excellent vision of the ice and rarely gets caught out of position. He's mature, but not aggressive nor physically punishing.)

28. Richard Stehlik
- (D, Sherbrooke: Big (6-4, 240), aggressive and creative, Stehlik has good speed, a solid first pass and an accurate point shot. His maturity and discipline still require work.)

Obviously, things changed on draft day and I'm quite positive the draft rankings by Hockey's Future evolved to a different tune as draft day neared. BUT, all things considered - to have players that were all once ranked to go in the first round BY Hockey's Future, all drafted by one team in the same draft AND to have that team drop organizational rankings after that, is just lunacy. Whatever the problem was, be it not enough attention called to the Predator's excellent draft, over vocal supporters of other teams or plain negligence, I don't think it was fair to the Predators nor the fans of the team that such a drop occurred.

I completely understand it's a volunteer outfit, and I completely respect that and I personally hate to see people complain about anything Hockey's Future offers (especially those who complain about the board being slow, although now with the option of sponsorship I can see a legitimat ... never mind, again - none of that matters ) but I think it's certainly not out of line to expect someone within Hockey's Future to at least admit Nashville was completely overlooked, even if it wasn't "completely" per se.

Old
07-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Holly Gunning

I wish these two rankings were done close enough together to be as comparable as you would like them to be. Fact is they were done about 11 months apart, almost an entire year. Enough time for many to rise and fall. Also they weren't done by the same group of people, the magazine people were some of, but not the same as, the website people.

Old
07-07-2004, 06:53 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
Well, that certainly puts it in perspective.

I thought the magazine was more or less an extension of the website, and now that I think of it - there was a big racket at the time about it being nothing of the sort. I also didn't know, time-wise, it was as far apart as you say.

... but ... but ... it was a good draft .. (cowers)

Old
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Slats432

OK....*pokes head out of sand*...I think this is where I come in.

Folks,

I am in the process of completing the Nashville Predator draft review.(ETA is JULY 11) After that is done, I am going to comprehensively look over the page, make sure that every possible prospect, profile, stat is up to date.(There is a reason for wanting to have that done before the top 20 ranking that I will get into later.)

After that is completed an article reranking the Nashville top twenty is going to be the priority.

No, I am not from Nashville,(Edmonton, Alberta in fact, so I suppose any WHL Pred Prospects will get even better coverage) but with my satellite, I will be able to see every Nashville Predator game, I travel extensively, and will make it my point to see every Nashville drafted prospect while on the road. I guarantee that if I am within a 3 hour drive of an Admiral game, I will be there.

I will also get involved in the discussions here, and I look forward to it.

So, if you have any questions of me, what I am doing, what time frames are, I am very approachable. My email is available to anyone who wants it. (Just PM me.)

George

Old
07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
OK....*pokes head out of sand*...I think this is where I come in.

Folks,

I am in the process of completing the Nashville Predator draft review.(ETA is JULY 11) After that is done, I am going to comprehensively look over the page, make sure that every possible prospect, profile, stat is up to date.(There is a reason for wanting to have that done before the top 20 ranking that I will get into later.)

After that is completed an article reranking the Nashville top twenty is going to be the priority.

No, I am not from Nashville,(Edmonton, Alberta in fact, so I suppose any WHL Pred Prospects will get even better coverage) but with my satellite, I will be able to see every Nashville Predator game, I travel extensively, and will make it my point to see every Nashville drafted prospect while on the road. I guarantee that if I am within a 3 hour drive of an Admiral game, I will be there.

I will also get involved in the discussions here, and I look forward to it.

So, if you have any questions of me, what I am doing, what time frames are, I am very approachable. My email is available to anyone who wants it. (Just PM me.)

George
This will be much appreaciated. To be blunt, anything would be better than what we have right now . We will try to keep you updated/slide info your way.

Old
07-07-2004, 04:13 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Welcome aboard George.

For those who don't know, George is awesome and will bring a lot of credibility to our prospect rankings.

Old
07-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Slats is one of the best writers on these boards, if i do say so myself.

Old
07-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Slats432

Official members of my fan club 2.

Checks are in the mail guys.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Holly Gunning

Well this looks like a good match. My work here is done.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:49 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

sweet. It'll be nice to have a page with actual profiles.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:09 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
hey good deal.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:47 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Thanks, HollyG and George!!

Closed Thread