HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Coach 2011/2012: Lindy Ruff vs Ted Nolan?

Old
03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
BlueLineBlues*

vCash: 500
Sabres Coach 2011/2012: Lindy Ruff vs Ted Nolan?

What a dismal effort vs Carolina last night the Sabres looked unmotivated in a very important game and deserved to be booed off the ice. Lindy Ruff is a good coach but i think he may have just gone a bit stale behind the bench or hit the wall if you will. I think Ruff's time is up at seasons end as Sabres coach, unless he takes this team deep into the playoffs.

Over the Christmas holidays i ran into Ted Nolan and son Brandon. I told Ted he was a good motivator and he should be back coaching in the NHL. Although i did not ask him about a return to Buffalo he did tell me he would "love to get back into the NHL as a head coach".

I think Ted Nolan would be a really good fit with this Sabres team if Lindy Ruff goes. Do you think Ted Nolan should be considered? He has been very successfull everywhere he has coached. Players have told me they love to play for this guy.

Son Brandon BTW is just starting to feel better after a 4 year battle with post concussion symptoms.

BlueLineBlues* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:51 AM
MrRuin

eh Ruff is here to stay, there is nothing to discuss.

"Lindy Ruff ain't going nowhere." - Terry Pegula

MrRuin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
No thanks on Nolan.

I'd still want Dineen.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:57 AM
BlueLineBlues*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuin View Post
eh Ruff is here to stay, there is nothing to discuss.

"Lindy Ruff ain't going nowhere." - Terry Pegula
Wouldn't be the 1st time we have heard owners say this then make a change...especially if Ruff's Sabres continue to stink the joint out like they did last night and vs the Leafs Saturday night and fall out of the playoffs.

Watch out for New Jersey.

BlueLineBlues* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I don't see last night as a lack of motivation, I see it as just plain exhaustion. No gas left in the tank after that big road trip and 10 games in 14 days. I expect them to come out swinging against Atlanta Saturday.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
What part of building a championship would recycling an inactive coach with no rings and plenty of baggage be again? Oh, that's right... it wouldn't. He's not honing his craft behind the bench anywhere - again - and it showed on the Island that he was out of touch with current systems. Given his track record of overstepping his GM, I don't see anyone giving him a shot until he can show he can win at another level. Once again, if he goes to a CHL team or steps behind an AHL bench and wins consistently, he might be able to expunge that part of his record. But right now, he's a poor choice as a bench boss, one with a track record of issues with the front offices he has worked with, and one who isn't actually coaching anyone.

03-16-2011, 08:35 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineBlues View Post
Wouldn't be the 1st time we have heard owners say this then make a change...especially if Ruff's Sabres continue to stink the joint out like they did last night and vs the Leafs Saturday night and fall out of the playoffs.

Watch out for New Jersey.
We're 5-3-2 in our last ten games, and are coming off a seven game roadtrip. That's stinking up the joint? Please do a little research before saying we need to hire a guy who hasn't had an NHL head coaching job in three years. He's coached a total of four NHL seasons, and didn't get a job for about ten years after he left Buffalo after only two seasons. I don't quite understand why we would need to hire Ted Nolan especially considering Lindy Ruff is a big part of why this team has turned this season around and been playing like they have been.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I'd still like to see a change in the coaching staff, but Nolan isn't it.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
What part of building a championship would recycling an inactive coach with no rings and plenty of baggage be again? Oh, that's right... it wouldn't. He's not honing his craft behind the bench anywhere - again - and it showed on the Island that he was out of touch with current systems. Given his track record of overstepping his GM, I don't see anyone giving him a shot until he can show he can win at another level. Once again, if he goes to a CHL team or steps behind an AHL bench and wins consistently, he might be able to expunge that part of his record. But right now, he's a poor choice as a bench boss, one with a track record of issues with the front offices he has worked with, and one who isn't actually coaching anyone.
On top of that how about having some context on the team you think should hire said coach who isn't a good option for reasons you listed. And not just seeing that we lost two close games out of our last three and chalking it up to needing a new coach.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Clock

Get shut out in an important game ------> Fire Ruff?

C'mon.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
The team lost 2 games?

FIRE EVERYONE!

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
On top of that how about having some context on the team you think should hire said coach who isn't a good option for reasons you listed. And not just seeing that we lost two close games out of our last three and chalking it up to needing a new coach.
Right up there with people blaming the loss yesterday on Miller.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Do you think Ted Nolan should be considered? He has been very successfull everywhere he has coached. Players have told me they love to play for this guy.
Absolutely not.

I wouldn't call him very successful either. He's a .500 coach (I'm sorry, .511 career... .503 in Buffalo). Why the hell would a team that has a goal of winning a Stanley Cup get rid of a better coach for one that has done absolutely nothing?

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Right up there with people blaming the loss yesterday on Miller.
People aren't actually doing that, are they?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
LHJMQFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
Absolutely not.

I wouldn't call him very successful either. He's a .500 coach (I'm sorry, .511 career... .503 in Buffalo). Why the hell would a team that has a goal of winning a Stanley Cup get rid of a better coach for one that has done absolutely nothing?
I am not saying Nolan should replace Ruff, but what exectly has Ruff won so far??? He cannot motivate his players, they are fed up with him isn't it obvious???

LHJMQFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
People aren't actually doing that, are they?
Second caller on GR on the post-game show before Ruff's post-game press conference lamented Miller's inability to "steal a game like this". I was screaming at the radio (thankfully the driver didn't swerve off the 33) at the ridiculousness of it.

Granted, it isn't nearly as ridiculous as resurrecting Ted Nolan to coach in Buffalo again. Pffft... if they're going to recycle old coaches, Floyd Smith is available. How about Red Berenson? Joe Crozier's older than that and about as relevant as Nolan... he's free. No? Eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHJMQFAN View Post
I am not saying Nolan should replace Ruff, but what exectly has Ruff won so far??? He cannot motivate his players, they are fed up with him isn't it obvious???
That's why they've been on the tear they went on since January first... they were fed up with Ruff and decided to win their way out.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Is it obvious that his players are fed up with him? Not really, no. I think the team has looked extremely motivated over the last two months.

I'm not the biggest Ruff supporter in the world, but I get the sense that this comment has a deeper agenda--i.e., your disdain for the way you perceive Gragnani has been treated by this coach and GM.

Old
03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
MillsyMyers30

you honestly think buffalo played poorly? i though they played well. towards the end you could tell they were getting gassed but i thought they played well. cam ward just stood on his head and miller play well as well. goalies can win you games and cam showed that and has shown that in the past. i'm not worried about this loss. buffalo get's a 3 days off before there next game. they've played so well lately i just they were getting tired. will be back saturday with a win against atlanta. hopefully the other teams help us out as well by beating the rangers, leafs, and even the devils.

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Second caller on GR on the post-game show before Ruff's post-game press conference lamented Miller's inability to "steal a game like this". I was screaming at the radio (thankfully the driver didn't swerve off the 33) at the ridiculousness of it.

Granted, it isn't nearly as ridiculous as resurrecting Ted Nolan to coach in Buffalo again. Pffft... if they're going to recycle old coaches, Floyd Smith is available. How about Red Berenson? Joe Crozier's older than that and about as relevant as Nolan... he's free. No? Eh.

That's why they've been on the tear they went on since January first... they were fed up with Ruff and decided to win their way out.

Well, WGR has one or two people who call the Whiner Line each and every day to complain about Miller, so I'm assuming it was one of those guys. I hope the WGR guy ripped into him for such a ridiculous comment. And looking in the post-game comments on the WGR site, you can tell that the same guy was posting that there, as well.

As I've said before, the standard to which Miller is held by many in that town right now is borderline asinine, and this pretty much cements that notion. To some, quite literally every loss is Miller's fault because he didn't "steal it"--and, by definition, if you lose, the goaltender didn't seal it. I really hate this fanbase sometimes.

Old
03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
MillsyMyers30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Get shut out in an important game ------> Fire Ruff?

C'mon.
i don't believe i saw him on the ice playing. it's not his fault. besides i thought buffalo played real well. they had a ton of opportunities. goalies can win you games and cam ward showed that. i thought miller played very well too.

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
What a dismal effort vs Carolina last night
What game were you watching?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
No, it's not obvious, as evidenced by the team's turnaround in the second half.

The only thing that's obvious is that management is more likely to move the players who are fed up with the coach than they are likely to change coaches. That's obvious.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
No, it's not obvious, as evidenced by the team's turnaround in the second half.

The only thing that's obvious is that management is more likely to move the players who are fed up with the coach than they are likely to change coaches. That's obvious.

and that's the way it should be. You can't let the lunatics run the asylum. No coach is perfect but you find a formula that you believe in and you stick with it, and you work harder and harder at it until you earn the success you're after.

That's the road the Sabres are on, and I see core players like Myers and Miller buying into it every game.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
MayDay

Ruff in a landslide.

Ruff has a Jack Adams, a President's Trophy, four trips to the Eastern Conference Finals, one trip to the Cup Finals. He's now 2nd all-time in wins recorded with one team (behind only Al Arbour), and in or near the top ten all-time in both overall coaching wins and games coached. Ruff has won 10 playoff series and lost 7, with an an career playoff record of 54-40.

On the other hand, Nolan coached the Sabres for two years. He missed the playoffs one year, and managed to win what was an incredibly weak division the next, in no small part thanks to the play of possibly the best goalie of all-time playing at his peak. He then proceeded to manage one playoff series win before being eliminated.

Whoopty-doo.

I will never, never understand the irrational Ted Nolan worship around some parts.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
MayDay

Nolan has not "been very successful everywhere he's coached." Actually he's been pretty mediocre. It's nice that players like him, but so what? Players often hated Scotty Bowman, but he made them win.

There's a reason why Nolan has spent so many years searching for a job in the NHL, and Ruff, if he were ever let go by the Sabres, would have another head coaching gig in about as much time as it would take the ink to dry.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote