HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

World Cup - Should we care?

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2004, 02:40 PM
rocketlives

vCash: 500
World Cup of Hockey 2004 - Should we care?

There isn't a single Habs' player on Wayne's dream team and some of the Habs players will be playing for Euro teams.

I don't really care about that tournament. I even think all North American fans should boycott the World Cup games if a new CBA has not been signed between the NHLPA and the team owners before the tournament starts.

I've had enough of these millionnaires not giving a damn about the fans who pay their exhorbitant salaries. The fans should be as important as the players and the owners in the equation. If the NHL players aren't prepared to start a new season the first week of October, I say phuck 'em.

Last edited by rocketlives: 07-05-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old
07-05-2004, 02:54 PM
SpezNc

We should are about this tournament...

Bacause the calibre is better than in the NHL...

Only 8 teams... Not 30... The better contries, the better players..... If Canada doesn't have any Canadian player it's because our best players aren't Canadian or because aren't good enough to crack the lineup... Canada is the hardest countrie to crack the lineup. Because our pool talent is so big... That's does'nt mean we will win.. But our lineup is impressive and can beat any team in the world....

Old
07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
eddy

I care about this Tounrnament, I love rooting for Canada in these International events, and after the Olympics I don't think for international hockey tournaments it gets any bigger then the World Cup so i'm kinda excited for it, and it only come what every 6 or 8 years?

Old
07-05-2004, 04:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
There isn't a single Habs' player on Wayne's dream team and some of the Habs players will be playing for Euro teams.

I don't really care about that tournament. I even think all North American fans should boycott the World Cup games if a new CBA has not been signed between the NHLPA and the team owners before the tournament starts.

I've had enough of these millionnaires not giving a damn about the fans who pay their exhorbitant salaries. The fans should be as important as the players and the owners in the equation. If they aren't prepared to start a new season the first week of October, I say phuck 'em.

Philosophically, I'm with you. When the tournament starts, though, I'll be entertainment starved and I'm weak.

Old
07-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Who, I ask you, who in our team deserve to be in Canada's national team?

Old
07-05-2004, 04:26 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
Langdon....oops he is a Devil now

Old
07-05-2004, 05:07 PM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
Only one Habs' player deserves that honor and he's José Théodore. He could prove once and for all that he's not a choker. I don't know what Belfour is doing there.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Habs

Quote:

I've had enough of these millionnaires not giving a damn about the fans who pay their exhorbitant salaries.
They don't actually get paid for the World Cup, just so you know. The revenue goes to the NHLPA, Team Ownership and the NHLPA charities.

It's not the money grab the media makes it out to be.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:59 PM
NHLcrazy

Well i care, i have tickets for the Canada-USA game and the Canada-Slovakia one.....gonna be nice!

Old
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Only one Habs' player deserves that honor and he's José Théodore. He could prove once and for all that he's not a choker. I don't know what Belfour is doing there.

Belfour proved himself in the playoffs in the past,
Theodore? never. (apart from 2 or 3 games)

Old
07-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
There are no Canadian players on the Canadiens that got cheated by Gretzky. Souray hadnt been that impressive throughout his career before this year and picking belfour over Theodore didnt bother me either. Belfour is solid and because he has experience that Theodore doesnt, he shouldve got selected over him. Ryder and Ribiero are good but have only had one solid season so far. maybe next olympics and world championships, they should be selected if they remain consistent.

Old
07-05-2004, 06:44 PM
not quite yoda

agreed.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:14 PM
rocketlives

World Cup 2004 - Should we care?

I have no doubt that the caliber will be much higher than regular NHL games, as shown by the price of the tickets which will range from $200 to $300 in the reds at the Bell Center.

Some of the profits will go to the owners as they provide the arenas and a good chunk will go to the NHLPA to finance what? Their walk-out or their forcing a lock-out, call it what you want.

It's going to be the first year that they will award a world Cup which I guess will compete with the Stanley Cup in the years to come. The European players are also much more motivated in these tournaments than when they act as mere mercenaries for the highest bidding teams in North America.

You can be sure that any NHL season starting immediately after such a tournament would be an anti-climax. That's why I say the team owners and the players bloody well know that there won't be any season in 2004-05. Perhaps half a season in '05 but I doubt it.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Tricolore#20

I care. Im driving down to Minnesota to watch the games, because I couldnt get tickets to the games in Toronto/Montreal.

USA-Russia: cheer on Markov
USA-Slovakia: cheer on Zed

Old
07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
jcpenny

How about watching the Tournament for our captain?

Old
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
That doesn't really bother me. Cheering for Canada sort of transcends the Habs. It will help me to cheer for, say, Finland over some of the other countries, for example, if it comes down to that.
Quote:
Wow, that's a good idea. I wish it was a practical one... I would like to sign up for the boycott on principle, but I know that when the chips are down and all my buds are watching the games after a couple of months with no hockey... and with the prospect of no hockey for the rest of the year... I will be just another sheep in the flock. Baaaaa.

But if everybody else in the world agrees to boycott it too, I'm with ya!

Closed Thread