HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick 2, any 2. Larsson,Couturier,RNH or Landeskog.

Old
03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Moneypuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Am I the only one in the world that thinks Larsson is highly overated.. I much rather have Hamilton at #6 then Larsson at #2. Bring on the flaming.
You could be onto something there. Brian Lawton 1st overall in 1983. Alexander Daigle 1st overall in 1992 and Patrick Stephan 1st overall in 1999. Tells me we are overdue to have one of those busts come down the pike. Selecting a defenseman could even be riskier than selecting a forward. Maybe you're correct Damascus, can i change my vote to Couturier and Hopkins please. That would address our issues down the middle.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
The Oilers make a deal on the morning of the 2011 entry draft and hold the first and second pick in the 2011 entry draft. Who do you want?

Larsson and Couturier.

Followed up with an RFA offer sheet to Keith Yandle.
Couturier and Landescog.
Plenty of D-men in next year's draft.

hall-Couturier-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Landescog
Hamilton-Horcoff-Pitlick
Haritkainen-Lander-Jones

Whitney-d-man drafted next year
Petry-Smid
teubert/Peckham-Marincin

It is not difficult to find competent d-men in free agency too.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Yes... because so many competent d-men have signed in Edmonton these last few years... that's why they have such a solid back-end now.

Honestly I'm not just picking on you but if it were EASY to find players in free agency that would play in Edmonton and make this team competitive... Edmonton wouldn't be missing the playoffs every year and finishing last overall 2 years in a row (and maybe 3 years in a row after next season).

They have a lot of cap space and a very rich owner so I don't doubt if they were so inclined (and REALLY wanted to overpay) that they could "capture" someone decent in free agency (ie... another Souray situation) but then you have to think about that cap space being used up for when the contracts of players like Hall/Eberle/MPS need to be resigned when they become RFA's.

I also personally don't really like the thought of overpaying players just to have them on the team when they really would rather be somewhere else and are just playing for the big paycheck. Maybe I'm naive as well but I actually think the Oilers are on the right track with drafting and developing from within to create an "Oilers organization, team-first" ethic in the young prospects from the time they are 18 onwards.

That all being said... of course the Oilers need to fill obvious gaping holes in their roster and you can't expect all those spots to be filled effectively (and quickly) by just developing their own prospects. Especially when by definition not all "prospects" turn out as well or as quickly as you'd like or expect them to.

They need to somehow make trades and sign players to help fill the gaps that their own developing players possibly cannot and that's of course the difficult catch-22 situation... you have to have an attractive team to play on to get good players to come and contribute but you need those players first to get to that point.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Lame thread. This will never happen.

OK, here is a new one: Lemieux + Sakic or Gretzky + Yzerman, which duo do you take?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Yes... because so many competent d-men have signed in Edmonton these last few years... that's why they have such a solid back-end now.

Honestly I'm not just picking on you but if it were EASY to find players in free agency that would play in Edmonton and make this team competitive... Edmonton wouldn't be missing the playoffs every year and finishing last overall 2 years in a row (and maybe 3 years in a row after next season).

They have a lot of cap space and a very rich owner so I don't doubt if they were so inclined (and REALLY wanted to overpay) that they could "capture" someone decent in free agency (ie... another Souray situation) but then you have to think about that cap space being used up for when the contracts of players like Hall/Eberle/MPS need to be resigned when they become RFA's.

I also personally don't really like the thought of overpaying players just to have them on the team when they really would rather be somewhere else and are just playing for the big paycheck. Maybe I'm naive as well but I actually think the Oilers are on the right track with drafting and developing from within to create an "Oilers organization, team-first" ethic in the young prospects from the time they are 18 onwards.

That all being said... of course the Oilers need to fill obvious gaping holes in their roster and you can't expect all those spots to be filled effectively (and quickly) by just developing their own prospects. Especially when by definition not all "prospects" turn out as well or as quickly as you'd like or expect them to.

They need to somehow make trades and sign players to help fill the gaps that their own developing players possibly cannot and that's of course the difficult catch-22 situation... you have to have an attractive team to play on to get good players to come and contribute but you need those players first to get to that point.
When was the last time Oilers tried to sign solid d-men? Kevin Lowe had been busy big game hunting (Vanek, Hossa, Heatley).
Tambellini when he really took over went for Strudwick and Foster (with an obvious intention to tank). I can't imagine they would have any trouble signing Jan Hejda, Roman Hamrlik, Hal Gill, Rob Scuderri type of players if they had chosen too. And that's all they need. Put in Hejda and Hamrlik on this team, and it will not leak nearly as many goals against.

Whitney-Hejda
Hamrlik-Smid
Gilbert-Peckham
Petry

That's a competent defense. Carolina and Pitts won the cups with defense of similar caliber.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Vodalian

I would not be happy at all with Larsson as the 1st overall. I think he will be a good NHL:er but compared to the guys picked 1st previous years he just doesn't seem that special. I don't know much about RNH and Couturier, but I guess the close race this year means it's a bad year to finish last. When things are so uncertain I would rather gamble on a forward since it seems a little bit easier to predict their upside.

Vodalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumlee View Post
Yup.
With RNH being a last minute cut.
And Couturier being a complete disappointment, offensively.

We won't end up taking two of the aforementioned. My favourite two are Larsson and Hopkins for obvious reasons. I guess this thread makes it easier than taking one....

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Couturier and Landeskog.
Plenty of D-men in next year's draft.

hall-Couturier-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Landeskog
Hamilton-Horcoff-Pitlick
Haritkainen-Lander-Jones

Whitney-d-man drafted next year
Petry-Smid
teubert/Peckham-Marincin

This, (Couturier and Landeskog) is my line of thinking as well. draft RD in the year after.
Hejda is a soon to be an UFA and Ryan Suter becomes a UFA in 2012/13. Lets get some experience back there to build on. Even if the Oilers went the route of Bogosian for our 1st in 2012,

our D could be in 2012 with Tuebert Marincin Chorney developing in the A

Suter Bogosian
Whitney Gilbert
Hejda Petry
Peckham

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
The Oilers make a deal on the morning of the 2011 entry draft and hold the first and second pick in the 2011 entry draft. Who do you want?

Larsson and Couturier.

Larsson First Overall

Trade down the 2nd pick for the 5th overall pick and a pick between 12 - 15th overall.

Courturier 5th Overall

Siemens 12th Overall

Offer Sheet to RFA Shea Weber for 6.1 M for 6 years and lose LA 1st rnd 2011, Edm 2nd rnd 2011, Cgy 3rd rnd 2011

Hall. Courturier Hemsky
PRV. Gagner. Eberle
Jones Horcoff. Omark
Reddox Lander. Hamilton

Weber Whitney
Larsson Gilbert
Siemens Peckham

DD
Bulin Wall

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
You could be onto something there. Brian Lawton 1st overall in 1983. Alexander Daigle 1st overall in 1992 and Patrick Stephan 1st overall in 1999. Tells me we are overdue to have one of those busts come down the pike. Selecting a defenseman could even be riskier than selecting a forward. Maybe you're correct Damascus, can i change my vote to Couturier and Hopkins please. That would address our issues down the middle.
Those three are forwards. Where you being sarcastic or did you mean to use forward examples to re-enforce not selecting a defenceman. Seems to indicate the opposite using logic if it's busts you are concerned about.

Old
03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Larsson First Overall

Trade down the 2nd pick for the 5th overall pick and a pick between 12 - 15th overall.

Courturier 5th Overall

Siemens 12th Overall

Offer Sheet to RFA Shea Weber for 6.1 M for 6 years and lose LA 1st rnd 2011, Edm 2nd rnd 2011, Cgy 3rd rnd 2011

Hall. Courturier Hemsky
PRV. Gagner. Eberle
Jones Horcoff. Omark
Reddox Lander. Hamilton

Weber Whitney
Larsson Gilbert
Siemens Peckham

DD
Bulin Wall
First of all. Nashville matches for fair market value. There is no team that has those two picks you have suggested trading for. We can't offer sheet Weber until after the qualification period which happens to take place after the 2011 draft. Which if I'm correct we can not compensate with other teams acquired picks. Especially not after we have used them. If Nash were to consider those picks over Weber it is blatantly obvious which they would select anyway. Just all sorts of wrong here...

Not to mention that Nashville will likely ink up Weber before it gets to an offer-sheet stage. Couturier will not be 1C ready next year...When Weber is supposedly coming to Edmonton without choice and going to make this league worst team into a contender.

Old
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
First of all. Nashville matches for fair market value. There is no team that has those two picks you have suggested trading for. We can't offer sheet Weber until after the qualification period which happens to take place after the 2011 draft. Which if I'm correct we can not compensate with other teams acquired picks. Especially not after we have used them. If Nash were to consider those picks over Weber it is blatantly obvious which they would select anyway. Just all sorts of wrong here...

Not to mention that Nashville will likely ink up Weber before it gets to an offer-sheet stage. Couturier will not be 1C ready next year...When Weber is supposedly coming to Edmonton without choice and going to make this league worst team into a contender.
Thank you, I submit to your reasoning! I should of been more realistic in having the 1st and 2nd overall pick.

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Thank you, I submit to your reasoning! I should of been more realistic in having the 1st and 2nd overall pick.
You're welcome. It's a good and creative idea but unfortunately because of the parameters of the situation just wouldn't work. I also meant to say that Nash would take Weber over the suggested picks in a hypothetical situation. Keep the juices flowin'!

Old
03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Moneypuck

Compensation for Weber would have to be our own picks, we can't use other teams picks we've aquired. I'd hold off one year on Weber, he's a UFA in one year and you could get him get him for nothing July 1st 2012. He'll sign a 1 year extension with the Preds and be moved next deadline. He wants to be able to call his own shot in 2012.The Oilers will be in much better shape by then and perhaps even have a shot at signing him then. Have to think we're a lotto team next year anyways, no biggy waiting a year for a shot at Shea.

Old
03-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Those three are forwards. Where you being sarcastic or did you mean to use forward examples to re-enforce not selecting a defenceman. Seems to indicate the opposite using logic if it's busts you are concerned about.
During my extensive 2 minutes of research i did i selected just recent examples. They do all have something in common, they all went first overall. It's a crapshoot at the top and an even bigger crapshoot in the later rounds. We just know since 1995, he has a 98.3% chance of not being an elite/impact player, so who knows really.

Old
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Well it's a crapshoot for ANY player you choose at #1, #2 or anywhere else. There is nothing written in stone saying any of these players are sure things but all we can really go by is watching them play, reading scouting reports and using some gut feel to get some sort of idea on their projected upside at the NHL level. Professional scouts and management teams are better equipped to do that than us but even they screw up and get it wrong sometimes... such is life.

For those saying that Larsson may be overhyped/overrated and picking a dman is risky at #1... well RNH, Couturier and Landeskog could be overrated and overhyped as well. Any of them could be flops at the NHL level.. only time will tell.

Personally if someone made me absolutely pick the one player that has the lowest chance of "flopping" at the NHL level it would probably be Landeskog just because of his intangibles and leadership... and he's the player most of us aren't picking as the Oilers 1st choice because of the "groupthink" that they need a C/D more.

Let's say the Oilers choose RNH or Couturier or Larsson with that #1 pick and their pick ends up flopping like Stephan while Landeskog goes on to have a 20 year NHL career as captain of his franchise putting in 30-30-60 type years all the way. That's certainly a possibility and no one knows for sure how this will all play out.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Lame thread. This will never happen.

OK, here is a new one: Lemieux + Sakic or Gretzky + Yzerman, which duo do you take?
Wow someone is negative. This is a strawman argument if I ever saw one. I mean were guaranteed one of the two so already its more realistic then your proposal. It's not unrealistic to think that Edmonton acquires maybe the 6th-8th pick for a Hemsky package and then slowly moves their way up to the top 5. Just have fun with it.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins + Adam Larsson

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Honestly, I would go Larsson and Couturier, it takes care of two significant needs at once and adds a lot of size and talent at the same time.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
During my extensive 2 minutes of research i did i selected just recent examples. They do all have something in common, they all went first overall. It's a crapshoot at the top and an even bigger crapshoot in the later rounds. We just know since 1995, he has a 98.3% chance of not being an elite/impact player, so who knows really.
That makes sense. I knew that they were 1st overall selections but was just pointing out a flaw in your logic because you chose forwards as random examples instead of a D-man. Which you seemed to be pointing at not selecting because of it...

Old
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Agent Zero

I think we need to add experience to our current roster. Waiting for two top 3 picks is going to take way too long. I'd rather look to package Hemsky to address one of our needs and then draft the other. The way I'd like to see it unfold is:

Hemsky + Cogliano/Smid/Omark for Staal, Bogosian, Suter.
Draft either Larsson or Nugent Hopkins
Followed by drafting Mark McNeil. The kid sounds like he could turn out to be a Mike Richards type player.

Personally I like acquiring Staal cause he's the perfect fit for Hall and Eberle and then drafting Larsson and McNeil. Look to add a veteran like Andrei Markov on a short term deal and we are looking to squeeze into the playoffs barring any significant injuries .

Hall-Staal-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Horcoff-Gagner
Jones-Upshall-Clarkson
UFA-Lander-Brule

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Markov
Peckham-Petry

Let Larsson, Pitlick, McNeil, Marincin, Hamilton, and Hartinkinen play in the AHL.

Redline report on McNeil

#10 Mark McNeill/RC — Prince Albert. 6-1/209. Very good outing. One of the hardest working players on ice and played a very complete game - high speed with a lot of intensity. Good anticipation and reads play well. Threw his weight around and showed very good puck support. Never gave up on a play and showed good vision and puck moving skills.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

Larsson and Couturier.

NO TO OFFER SHEETS. Do you want the Oilers bashed again like in 2007? Remember the Oilers are the only team that gets bashed to tendering OS even though the Oilers have had the most OS tendered against them.

03-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Bobblehead

Larsson for sure. Look at Pronger/Niedermayer/Lidstrom..... mistake free hockey for 30 minutes a night.... you get a chance to draft a guy who might turn out like that (even if its a 5% chance) you have to take him! Even if he turns out to be Ryan Suter or Bouwmeester you have to take him. Have to, have to, have to.

When it comes to the others..... depends on what the scouts think :
is Couturier = Pierre Turgeon/Joe Thornton or is he Jason Bonsignore?
are we worried about too many smurfs? .... that burned us with Pou vs Parise.... BPA?

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Moneypuck

Not sure why, but i see Daymond Langkow written all over Landeskog. Nothing against Daymond, i'll take my chances with an impact center (Couturier RNH) or a possible No.1 D'man over a Langkow type.

Old
03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Currently I have Larsson, RNH, Landeskog and Courturier. I can see Couturier falling out of the top 5.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
NO TO OFFER SHEETS. Do you want the Oilers bashed again like in 2007? Remember the Oilers are the only team that gets bashed to tendering OS even though the Oilers have had the most OS tendered against them.
They're not illegal. The Oilers did fine on the Penner deal, there's nothing to fear. That stuff you're fearing is just bullpoop in the media. Yandle's a Norris trophy candidate this year and the Oilers can afford him. It's just a matter of if the cash strapped league run Coyotes will match.