HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Non-Ski Resort OT Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2011, 03:41 PM
grayson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
Muddy Waters must be spinning in his grave.
You mean Chuck Berry?

Muddy Waters knocked up a girl when he was 18/19 and she was 16 - I don't think that's illegal (unless there was another incident I can't remember)

These guys are in their 20s it looks like and LG according to google means 14/15

Old
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson View Post
You mean Chuck Berry?

Muddy Waters knocked up a girl when he was 18/19 and she was 16 - I don't think that's illegal (unless there was another incident I can't remember)

These guys are in their 20s it looks like and LG according to google means 14/15

None of this stuff is unprecedented.

Unwholesome subject matter (drugs, sex, violence), "unlistenable" music signalling the downfall of a society.. these kinds of claims have been made about various genres for the last hundred years.. and probably well before that too.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:54 PM
grayson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
None of this stuff is unprecedented.
Touché. Hey, I don't care about the drugs and the sex and even the violence, I guess I'm just partial to the way it's told/sounds. I guess that's art and perception for you, and I'm just behind by a generation and would've been happier being born a generation or two ago.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
rye&ginger

Grayson, just because someone writes a song about a topic, doesnt mean they have done the stuff. Sometimes an artist conveys someone else's experience (eg. A big news story, some dirty deed a friend did, or it may be fiction)

Anyway, I avoid radio and music charts. Find a review blog you like with good commenters. For Hiphop I go to www.hiphopdx.com .

Radio sucks. It has since albums sales are pumped through it.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:10 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I don't really disagree with you, actually I am just hitting that age where I am extremely out of touch with the kind of stuff that's been popular the last few years (and I'm not particularly unhappy about that either).

Buuut, it's all personal preference. For me "the line" is in a different place than it is for my parents or their parents. None of us are wrong per se, but all of us see some 'art' as challenging assumptions and pushing boundaries and other 'art' as crass and inappropriate.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
grayson*

Yeah you're right. I guess people just have to accept that people like different things. To me though, I just don't understand why some good middle class Canadian kids would rather throw on some songs about something they know little about that's loud and repetitive and requires little if any musical skill, than throw on a good old Tragically Hip (just one old Canadian example most of us hockey fans can relate to) album or something. Or why 90% of the time the best films don't even make it to the major theaters, and you see garbage movies hitting the top 3 at the box office. Or why people you don't see people reading Dostoevsky or LF Celine, shoot or even Burroughs or Bukowski - or christ even anything other than vampire novels or the same old redundant Tom Clancy style military "novels." It just bottles my mind.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Rock is guilty of it to...

Kiss - Christine Sixteen

Winger - She's only Seventeen

>1000

Seems like as good a time as any to shut this one down.

Closed Thread