HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT-The Championships-Rate Them!

Old
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
ShotScore*

vCash: 500
OT-The Championships-Rate Them!

This is opinion only. I would like to share my thoughts and see others on what people think is the most valuable championship in sports. Here's how I rate them.

1. FIFA WORLD CUP

To me, this is, unquestionably, the greatest, most prestigious, most valuable, and hardest championship to win in all of sports. It takes place only once every four years. It takes four years of qualifying to have a chance to play for it. It involves, at one point, almost every nation on earth. As well it is the most popular sport on earth. Nothing else compares.

2. THE STANLEY CUP

OK I'm biased. I admit it. This is about opinion after all. The Stanley Cup championship is given every year to the best hockey team on earth. It involves the best 16 teams in hockey, the top eight from each of the two conferences. It takes four rounds of a best of seven series to win. It involves, arguably, the toughest and fastest team game on earth. To win it involves suffering and sacrifice on a level few other team games can imagine. Other than the World Cup of Soccer there is no other championship I would rather win.

3. THE WORLD SERIES

The Great American Pastime. Baseball. Few other sports can conjure and capture the memories and nostalgia of a nation's past the way baseball does in the USA. What would summer be without it? The World Series playoffs involve the top eight teams in baseball. The top 6 division winners and two "wild card" teams from each league. Three round of series are used to determine the winner. The first, called the "division series" is a best of five matchup with every series after a best of seven matchup. The winner of the world series lays claim to being the best baseball team on earth.

4. THE SUPER BOWL

The Super Bowl is the championship of American Football as represented by the National Football League or NFL. It involves twelve teams, six from each conference. It is unique among the four major sports of North America in that it is a single elimination tournament.

* I will not rate the NBA as I despise it. I only watch college basketball. Feel free to rate however way you like and any sport you like. As I said, I'm interested in opinions.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
BlackDog13

As this is opinion only, here's my thoughts:

1. Tour de France-The toughest, most physically grueling event in sports. These competitors take suffering to a completely different level.

2/2A. World Series/Stanley Cup- Long seasons + lots of games that are not only physically taxing but require a consistent focus game in-game out.

3. Super Bowl-Relatively short season for an extremely physically punishing sport means there's little to no room for error.

I could care less about soccer or basketball so they don't enter the equation. Titles in boxing have unfortunately become so convoluted that they don't make the cut either.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
As this is opinion only, here's my thoughts:

1. Tour de France-The toughest, most physically grueling event in sports. These competitors take suffering to a completely different level.

2/2A. World Series/Stanley Cup- Long seasons + lots of games that are not only physically taxing but require a consistent focus game in-game out.

3. Super Bowl-Relatively short season for an extremely physically punishing sport means there's little to no room for error.

I could care less about soccer or basketball so they don't enter the equation. Titles in boxing have unfortunately become so convoluted that they don't make the cut either.

Great post. Thank you. Very interesting that you brought up boxing, a sport that's neglected imo. Basically the heavyweight division is dead and the biggest fight to be made (Pacquiao/Mayweather) isn't being made for whatever reasons.

Yet, that being said, perhaps no other sport (other than soccer) brings people together in terms of sheer popularity than boxing. A great fight draws people out to the bars/clubs to watch the fight and record pay-per-view profits.

What the sport needs imo is a revival of the heavyweight division in the long term and, more immediately, the pacman/mayweather fight to be made.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 06:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

1. Stanley Cup

Everything else.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
World Cup is far and away #1. Only sport that the team can truly call themselves "world champions".

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Most valuable Championship is the criteria here? And since we're doing this on a global scale I guess you'd have to put Soccer/World Football Championships at the top here. #1 being the FIFA World Cup, and #2 being the UEFA Championship I'd guess.

But really sports are for entertainment, and what entertains people varies from person to person. So I'll switch it up a bit.

I'd say the Championships that entertain me the most in order are:

SuperBowl - When the game is competitive and the result is in doubt for the majority of the game (especially the last few years), nothing budges me from my seat. Combine that with the fact that it's just one game, has a 2 week lead-up and is by far the largest sport in North America, it's an event.

Stanley Cup - Good hockey is something I'm drawn to. The SCF that go 6+ games are usually pretty good, including last year's (although I would've liked to have seen better defense, goaltending and outcome/GWG). But every once in a while there's series that end in sweeps/5 games that aren't as entertaining as it's one-sided, and one or both teams may not have a great history. Both are factors that detract from a series to me. That's why I've gotta put it 2nd.

FIFA WC - Single elimination after the "pool" rounds, goals at a premium, and the fact that this only happens every few years will get me to watch this championship game. Detracting factors: flopping, poor reffing, penalty kicks sometimes determining winners. This is why I'm glad there's no shoot-outs in SC playoffs.

World Series/NBA Finals - I gotta go with a tie here. Off the bat (no pun intended) they're both series championships, which have detracting factors that I mentioned in the SCF entry.
Baseball is such an odd game and with an odd pace compared to most other sports, with an occasional explosion of energy it's hard to get into sometimes if the teams in the WS aren't interesting to you. You can be bored most of the time, but thrilled for just a small fraction of each game.

NBA Finals I can't get too excited for because most of the time the teams who end up in the finals are often predicted to be there before the season starts, which is okay if you're a fan of one of the teams but often leaves little in the way of surprise. The games themselves are good, but still follow the basic structure of regular season games at the end of regulation. It often takes 5 minutes to play 30 seconds with timeouts, fouling to get the ball back, etc. I just wish all the games ended quicker and more dramatically. I guess of the 4 major North American team sports leagues I like the NBA the least, which is why I have it tied w/ Baseball at the bottom.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:32 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

1) World Cup

2) Stanley Cup

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Valuable meaning what? Lucrative? Because that's easily the World Cup. Valuable like entertainment value? I'd have to go with Stanley Cup, World Series, World Cup, BCS Title Game, Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics, NCAA Tournament, Super Bowl in that order.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
World Cup is the hardest, but it's hard to put it in the same scope as all other team/club championships since they're annual.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Great post. Thank you. Very interesting that you brought up boxing, a sport that's neglected imo. Basically the heavyweight division is dead and the biggest fight to be made (Pacquiao/Mayweather) isn't being made for whatever reasons.

Yet, that being said, perhaps no other sport (other than soccer) brings people together in terms of sheer popularity than boxing. A great fight draws people out to the bars/clubs to watch the fight and record pay-per-view profits.

What the sport needs imo is a revival of the heavyweight division in the long term and, more immediately, the pacman/mayweather fight to be made.
I couldn't agree more.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:04 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

For me

1. Stanley Cup
2. Super Bowl
3. Grey Cup
4. UFC Championship

those are the only sports I give a damn about

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Tour de France is definitely the toughest to win, and garners a lot of international interest, but as far as "most valuable" coming from a fans perspective I don't think anything can touch the World Cup, helps that it is once every 4 years though.

I'd also give a look at Formula 1, if racing can be considered a sport (i tend to disagree but if golf is, then racing is - at least in open wheel racing you have to be physically fit more so than nascar...) It has a massive cult like following with nations rooting for both drivers and manufacturers alike.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:09 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Stanley Cup, everything else is second. Only trophy where your name is etched on it forever. "Win today and we walk together forever."

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote