HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Three Stars and Wrapup : Was 2 @ Det 3

View Poll Results: Who were tonight's three stars?
Zetterberg 44 97.78%
Filppula 12 26.67%
Howard 6 13.33%
Rafalski 37 82.22%
Datsyuk 4 8.89%
Lidstrom 5 11.11%
Ovechkin 9 20.00%
Stuart 4 8.89%
Kronwall 2 4.44%
Bertuzzi 0 0%
Helm 3 6.67%
Abdelkader 0 0%
Carlson 0 0%
Neuvirth 0 0%
Modano 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
  #1
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Three Stars and Wrapup : Was 2 @ Det 3

Vote for your three stars, top vote-getter will receive 1st star (3 pts), second receives 2nd star (2 pts), third receives 3rd star (1 pt).

Mini Standings thru 69 games:

Datsyuk : 54 pts
Howard : 38 pts
Zetterberg : 35 pts
Lidstrom : 27 pts
Helm : 27 pts

Post your top 3 and most #1s will be used to break ties. Write-ins count too, so feel free to write-in and then drum up your picks.

As usual, the thread shows up before the poll, so be patient and the poll will appear in a minute.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
  #2
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,875
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Zetterberg
Rafalski
Lidstrom

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
  #3
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 14,805
vCash: 500
1. Zetterberg
2. Rafalski
3. Ovechkin

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
  #4
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
1. Zetterberg
2. Rafalski
3. Filppula

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
  #5
canadianwingnut
Registered User
 
canadianwingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brockville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
1. Zetterberg/Rafalski
2. Howard
3. Alec Ovekkin

Awesome game, was not a disappointment at all.

canadianwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
  #6
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
They finally held onto a late-game lead.

Good solid effort.

I went with Z, Flip, Howard.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
  #7
Dogkota
Registered User
 
Dogkota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Great game, good to see a fairly consistent effort without many glaring mistakes

1. Z
2. Rofl-ski
3. OV

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
  #8
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
1) Zetterberg
2) Raflawski
3) Stuart - Can't believe nobody voted for him until now. He played a terrific game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
  #9
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
They finally held onto a late-game lead.

Good solid effort.

I went with Z, Flip, Howard.
Howard? For serious?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
  #10
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,323
vCash: 500
1. Zetterberg
2. Rafalski
3. Filppula

I voted Filppula but I wanted to go for Stuart just for that sick check on Ovechkin. He was solid against him all night and was unlucky that Ovi got a nice shot off for his goal.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
  #11
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 13,996
vCash: 500
I'm with those picking Hank, Raffy and Ovy. In spite of who they were missing, the Caps were still a very tough team to contend with. Once Ovechkin got that goal, he was a handful for Nick and Stuart.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
  #12
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Howard? For serious?
Deal with it.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:25 PM
  #13
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
I think maybe the reason why the Wings seem to clean up against the East is because the Eastern teams seem to let them play their game, but the Western teams seem to know how to get them off-track.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM
  #14
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
only 2 GA, but howard did not seem very good. rebounds still a problem, and i think he could have saved the 1st goal.

generally played well in the offensive zone. played below the goal line, cycled and passed well. zetterberg scored on a 1 timer, at ES. zetterberg was also more dynamic in the offensive zone. one of his best games of the season, imo.

washington missed a few players (backstrom, green, arnott), and played the day before, though, and their D seemed weaker than usual, so i am not sure how impressive this game was.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
1. Zetterberg
2. Rafalski
3. Filppula

I voted Filppula but I wanted to go for Stuart just for that sick check on Ovechkin. He was solid against him all night and was unlucky that Ovi got a nice shot off for his goal.
i would not say unlucky. stuart may be the only veteran player who did not know ovechkin uses that move multiple times every game.

he used to score with that regularly, but has only scored a few goals this season with it, b/c every team knows it and stops it.

ovechkin would be much more effective if he would be more creative offensively and use that move less. should get the puck deeper in the offensive zone.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:13 PM
  #15
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Deal with it.
Ooooh.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 12:11 AM
  #16
Drunkspleen
Face of the company
 
Drunkspleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bear Country
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
1. Zetters
2. Kronwall
3. Ericsson (write in)

after Zetters, I think alot of people put in good but not great games and could have been in those 2-3 spots, but I distinctly remember liking a number of Kron and Rig plays so going with them.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 12:15 AM
  #17
Drunkspleen
Face of the company
 
Drunkspleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bear Country
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i would not say unlucky. stuart may be the only veteran player who did not know ovechkin uses that move multiple times every game.

he used to score with that regularly, but has only scored a few goals this season with it, b/c every team knows it and stops it.

ovechkin would be much more effective if he would be more creative offensively and use that move less. should get the puck deeper in the offensive zone.
Stuart stayed inside Ovie using the blade of his stick to block his shot really effectively, then Ovie brought it across between Stuart's legs, and Stuart got his stick over to block the shot through him, then Ovie moved it like 2-3 inches wide and shot around the stick of Stuart before he could react.

I dunno what more you want Stuart to do other than bring his shins in to help block the shot and become a pylon, giving Ovie a legitimate Breakaway.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:58 AM
  #18
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Zetterberg (by far)
Rafalski (though his risky play at the blue line created a great chance for Knuble)
Filppula

Datsyuk, maybe one of his worst games.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
1) Zetterberg
2) Raflawski
3) Stuart - Can't believe nobody voted for him until now. He played a terrific game.
He had a very solid hit on Ovy, but not really a great game. Solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Howard? For serious?
+1. I do not see any reason giving Howard a star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think maybe the reason why the Wings seem to clean up against the East is because the Eastern teams seem to let them play their game, but the Western teams seem to know how to get them off-track.
That is what I thought during the game. The Caps let the Wings play, they did not try to frustrate them and the Wings carried the play almost all game long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Stuart stayed inside Ovie using the blade of his stick to block his shot really effectively, then Ovie brought it across between Stuart's legs, and Stuart got his stick over to block the shot through him, then Ovie moved it like 2-3 inches wide and shot around the stick of Stuart before he could react.

I dunno what more you want Stuart to do other than bring his shins in to help block the shot and become a pylon, giving Ovie a legitimate Breakaway.
That about how I saw it as well.
Stuart could not do much differently. If he tries to poke check Ovy, he goes around him and gets a breakaway. Stuart played it right, but Ovy has a hell of a shot and scored.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
  #19
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
1) Zetterberg
2) Raflawski
3) Stuart - Can't believe nobody voted for him until now. He played a terrific game.
Would you have said that if Semin had scored on the play where Stuart felt like switching with Lidstrom on the 2 on 2 and not telling anyone?

I have no idea what he was thinking there. Detroit d-men never try plays like that.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
  #20
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Ooooh.
Stopped 26 of 28, first goal redirected off Pavel's leg and the second was a top-shelf laser from Ovechkin through a d-screen.

I shouldn't have to explain these things to you, since presumably you watch the games...

And at least a few people agree with me - not enough to win a star, but it's not like I'm the lone vote either.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:56 AM
  #21
Alpha190
Registered User
 
Alpha190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Didn't Howard also stop Semin on that semi-breakaway?

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
  #22
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Would you have said that if Semin had scored on the play where Stuart felt like switching with Lidstrom on the 2 on 2 and not telling anyone?

I have no idea what he was thinking there. Detroit d-men never try plays like that.
It was a good play. Lidstrom was in position to have it covered.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
  #23
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Stopped 26 of 28, first goal redirected off Pavel's leg and the second was a top-shelf laser from Ovechkin through a d-screen.

I shouldn't have to explain these things to you, since presumably you watch the games...

And at least a few people agree with me - not enough to win a star, but it's not like I'm the lone vote either.
Presumably?
LOL.

Howard is one of those guys who is heavily "politicized" on the boards right now, and people vote for him, it seems, no matter what he does. Like Helm or Kindl. These guys can have a quiet game and get 2 or 3 votes.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:19 PM
  #24
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,168
vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Presumably?
LOL.

Howard is one of those guys who is heavily "politicized" on the boards right now, and people vote for him, it seems, no matter what he does. Like Helm or Kindl. These guys can have a quiet game and get 2 or 3 votes.
I actually voted for Helm as the 3rd star because Zetterberg and Raffy were the obvious ones, and I thought Helm has been the most consistent player on the team and he had another soild night, so by virtue of being consistently good, he gets a star!

I'm not like the other perennial Helm voters that vote for him just because they want to jump his bones.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
  #25
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Seriously? Raflawski and ROFL-ski got votes, and RaFAILski didn't?!

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.