HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Lie Issues

Old
05-19-2012, 08:09 AM
doughmadore

vCash: 500
Stick Lie Issues

I'm currently using an Easton s19 parise curve and even though I like the shot benefits of the curve I think there's an issue with the lie. I feel that my puckhandling with this curve is terrible and I often seem to lose the puck. I'm thinking it might be the lie. Also, after playing in a game I've notice that my tape is much more worn out near the heel. Is this from shooting from the heel or because the lie is not right? My stick is cut right around the chin (with skates on). Any suggestions? Should I move away from the curve and the 5.5 lie? What kind of lie should I move to?

doughmadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:39 AM
jazz4all

maybe try lower stick height. for me, using 5.5 lie with stick at 2" below the chin. for lie 5 and 5.25, just 1/4" below the chin.

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
AIREAYE

It could be a combination of both, or your technique altogether.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
qmechanic

How long have you been using that curve?

You can either cut your stick shorter or get a new stick with lower lie (for example, 5).

If you want to try out a bunch of patterns and stick lengths, it might be a good idea to get a two-piece setup, shaft + blade.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:04 PM
doughmadore

I've been using it for a few months now. I might take a little bit off it to try to fix this.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With that curve it's definitely normal to have more wear at the heel, since that's where you do most of your stickhandling and shooting. But if you are missing passes and having puck control issues, that's not good. What were you using before?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
doughmadore

I was using a rbk crosby curve previously. Let it be noted that I'm a relative newbie (a little over a year in) so my technique might not be the greatest. I feel that I creep into an upright position a bit too often.

I'm not sure I understand some of the suggestions how making the stick shorter will make this better. Won't this make the lie even more heel dominant?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:13 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughmadore View Post
I'm not sure I understand some of the suggestions how making the stick shorter will make this better. Won't this make the lie even more heel dominant?
Grab the stick right now. Hold it normally and then choke up a few inches and see how the blade sits each time. When you go lower down the shaft it rolls the blade (from heel to toe) more towards the toe. In your case it would make the blade sit more flat which is what you want.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughmadore View Post
I was using a rbk crosby curve previously. Let it be noted that I'm a relative newbie (a little over a year in) so my technique might not be the greatest. I feel that I creep into an upright position a bit too often.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Lengthening will make it more heal dominant (picture using a very long stick)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:30 PM
AIREAYE

If he cut it to his chin on skates, I'd be much more inclined to take a look at technique first, then a lower lie, then finally cutting the stick.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
nullterm

I'd say shorter stick would help stick handling the most. But before you chop down your S19, maybe get a cheap woodie with a similar curve & lie and try that at a shorter length, I did before chopping up my usual composite. I found going from chin to collarbone (in skates) made a big difference for me.

If you shorten the stick's shaft, then the toe will come down to the ground so be less on the heel. Possibly more centered on the blade. Keep in mind, shortening also means the stick gets stiffer.

Try moving your top hand down the shaft a few inches until the blade is more balanced on the ice and try stick handling there. If you find it's better with your top hand lower down teh shaft, then you can use your hand position as a reference of where to think about cutting.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

5.5 is a pretty normal/average lie, unless you had a 4 or 7 before that.

Last edited by nullterm: 05-20-2012 at 02:20 AM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:46 AM
hyster110

i would say that the picture isn't as common in todays game, as if you watch people during the anthems, many have sticks that have blades off the ice,

it honestly you have only been playing a while and you switched curves. this will affect how you play. my advice, pick a curve, and don't change it (so since you have parise, stay along the lines of, Staal when using bauer and such. then get used to playing with that curve and you will see benefits in your game. also realize that the rocker on the curve of the Parise means the blade doesnt lay flat on the ice

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
doughmadore

Your comments and the link you sent are very eye opening. I was always of the belief that the stick should be around the chin. I think I'll cut the s19 and give it a shot. I actually have a game tonight so I'll see if that's the issue. Thanks.