HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-2012 CIS Recruits

Old
03-17-2011, 08:43 AM
STUTOMMIES

vCash: 500
2011-2012 CIS Recruits

The Dalhousie Tigers have added Pascal Amyot to their roster for next year.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/blog/post/804194

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:20 PM
AUS Fan

He's out with a concussion right now.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:04 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

According to John Moore (Mooseheads play by play man) Cape Breton defenceman Spencer Metcalfe will be playing for UPEI next season. He helped lead Moncton to the President's Cup last year and has a career high 3 goals and 6 assists this season, along with 126 PIM.

http://www.stationnation.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/rinkrant/status/49511243463143426

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
dale 1919

rumor is that UBS is out here again! lost Matt Liambis to ECHL so need to upgrade their Ontario talent.
rumor is that that coach is out here working Matt Stanisz from Owen Sound, also think a few other schools from the west are sniffing too? One has to think with the AUS coming to harvest soon, and UBS (or Ontario west) out here again the will be slim pickens for our boys?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:08 PM
dale 1919

ooops meant UBC sorry

Old
03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale 1919 View Post
ooops meant UBC sorry
I thought maybe there was a new province called British Saskatchewan!

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:52 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
rumor is that UBS is out here again! lost Matt Liambis to ECHL so need to upgrade their Ontario talent.
rumor is that that coach is out here working Matt Stanisz from Owen Sound, also think a few other schools from the west are sniffing too? One has to think with the AUS coming to harvest soon, and UBS (or Ontario west) out here again the will be slim pickens for our boys?
The last I heard about Stanisz was that he was not overly motivated by school and upon finishing his OHL time he would be looking to play pro, either in North America or possibly overseas. Perhaps he has changed his mind. His brother told me about a year ago or so that he would be surprised if Matt ever decided to pursue post secondary education, even more so if not trying his hand at pro first. He would be a solid pickup for UBC though.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

In today's Daily Gleaner Bruce Hallihan has a good article about UNB and recruiting. It also includes some interesting quotes from some notable 4th year players about their future.

Kyle Bailey - "I'm leaning towards leaving, just simply because of the school aspect. I'm almost done (my degree). I only have three classes right now, so I've kind of been like a full-time hockey player and a part-time student. I'm pretty sure I could do it if I had to, but it would be pretty tough to switch gears back into an MBA or something where I've got to be really focused. It might not bode well for my academics, but by no means am I ruling it out. Gardiner and I have talked a little bit, but we'll continue to talk more to see what options there are and what's best for me."

Hunter Tremblay - "I'm pretty sure I won't be back here next year. I'm going to try to start pursuing my pro career."

Luke Gallant - "No decision has been made yet. Coming into the tournament, I was kind of thinking about coming back next year. Now, my mind kind of jumps back and forth. I've got to take care of some loose ends at school first. If things (pro offers) come up, they come up. If not, I'll be very fortunate to come back next year. It's a win-win either way."

The full article can be found here - http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...rticle/1394154

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
He's out with a concussion right now.
hey AUS is this the sight Freddrick is directing us too? To get the latest updates on the best recruiter in the laaand. I look forward to watching as they look to dodge your shovel in the next few weeks! Especially since they have the business and kinesiology recruits all locked up!

till then "stay out of the potato patches punk" !

Old
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
AUS Fan

Don't you have cows to milk or something?

Things will be hopping around here for the next while. Acadia is losing several key guys as is SMU. SFX and Dal are pretty much set, I think. Dal needs a goalie. UNB could lose 4 or 5 guys. If you're around the rinks in the Dub, you might run across Gards or Burnsey.

Old
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:

Things will be hopping around here for the next while. Acadia is losing several key guys as is SMU. SFX and Dal are pretty much set, I think. Dal needs a goalie. UNB could lose 4 or 5 guys. If you're around the rinks in the Dub, you might run across Gards or Burnsey.
Gardiner is in Toronto today.

Hunter Tremblay just signed with the Oilers: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=557802

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:57 PM
dale 1919

Quote:

rinks in th DUB? not sure i am going there?

could be interesting out there if AB needs an many as Robert says they do and Acadia and UNB also have shoes to fill?
there are alot of schools out there that have business and Kin!

hey before you tree squirrels get toooo excited about the Trembley signing
can Freddy or whomever confirm the 2 way was NHL/AHL or was it a 2way minor league deal???
cuz the latter has him playing in the ECHL for sure. AUS Fan I think was alittle excited naming the names of the big oilers....maybe Oak City to start?
hate for you to be polishing those nuts to prematurely.... if it is a minor league deal!?

Last edited by dale 1919: 03-31-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: never had a spelling class offered in oua
Old
03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Fan of the Vreds

2011-2012 Recruiting News

To answer your question Hunter signed a two way NHL/AHL contract. FYI Us Squirrels are not prematurely polishing our nuts we are busy polishing the cup!

Lets stick to the topic of recruiting here.

Forward Josh Koper has committed to the Alberta Golden Bears. Josh played this past season with the Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL)

Forward Mark Cross has committed to the York Lions. Mark played this past season with the Estevan Bruins (SJHL)

Defenseman Frank Riddle has committed to the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks. Frank played this past season with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL)

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
rinks in th DUB? not sure i am going there?

could be interesting out there if AB needs an many as Robert says they do and Acadia and UNB also have shoes to fill?
there are alot of schools out there that have business and Kin!

hey before you tree squirrels get toooo excited about the Trembley signing
can Freddy or whomever confirm the 2 way was NHL/AHL or was it a 2way minor league deal???
cuz the latter has him playing in the ECHL for sure. AUS Fan I think was alittle excited naming the names of the big oilers....maybe Oak City to start?
hate for you to be polishing those nuts to prematurely.... if it is a minor league deal!?
It's an NHL/AHL deal. He's projected to start in Oke City and may be in the lineup as soon as tonight or tomorrow -- they have five left in the regular season.
He'll open there next year likely, unless he makes the big club out of camp -- unlikely.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Rob

The Oilers must have been really impressed with Tremblay to give him a two way NHL/AHL contract.

Acadia is going to need a new goalie. Westblom left early and I believe Chiasson is done too.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
AUS Fan

@dale 1919

"AUS Fan I think was alittle excited naming the names of the big oilers...."

I was responding to the poster who thought that Tremblay might get to the show soon and was listing the guys he would have to be better than. I agree with you that he will start and end this season in the AHL and probably start next year there as well.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The Oilers must have been really impressed with Tremblay to give him a two way NHL/AHL contract.

Acadia is going to need a new goalie. Westblom left early and I believe Chiasson is done too.
Impressive for Tremblay as well. I was fully expecting him to get an AHL contract, with the possibility of being assigned to the ECHL to begin with and having to work his way up.

Let recruiting season begin!! I am excited as always to see which teams make the biggest/most offseason moves in all the conferences.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:32 AM
dale 1919

Quote:
"AUS Fan I think was alittle excited naming the names of the big oilers...."

I was responding to the poster who thought that Tremblay might get to the show soon and was listing the guys he would have to be better than. I agree with you that he will start and end this season in the AHL and probably start next year there as well.
i was just having some fun with the squirrels
IT IS VERY IMPRESSIVE FOR TREMBLAY! Great for him and the Vreds!
I wish him great success!

Old
04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I think that is the minimum offer allowed at this time of the year, for a NHL club, as there are less then 25 games left. Had this happened earlier, or in Sept, they probably would have offered the standard 25 game try-out offer.

The other option would have been to offer an ECHL contract and loan him up to the AHL team (which happened to John-Scott last year). However, that may not have been enough incentive to sign on Hunter's part.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Fan of the Vreds

2011-2012 Recruiting News

The following OJHL players have committed to CIS schools..

Defenseman Luke Maw who played for the Newmarket Hurricanes is going to Lakehead.

Forward Tyler McGee who played for the Huntsville Otters is going to York.

Goaltender Wendell Vye who played for the Kingston Voyageurs is going to Dalhousie.

Fan of the Vreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 04:00 PM
puck passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I should have added that perhaps the biggest recruiting chip is winning.

Charlie Sheen had it right - WINNING!

Players are attracted to winning programs, especially if they are coming from junior teams where they haven't won a lot, or maybe not even got a sniff at championships.

Many players will take a reduced role on a team like UNB or Alberta just to have the opportunity to win a championship.

It has to he difficult to recruit against that.
What comes first the chicken or the egg? The chicken or the Golden Egg?
Sure, UNB is a winner now and that can't hurt in the recruiting process, but how did the Varsity Reds become champs? And when did they start winning? Oh, yes, there appears to be a direct correlation to when the UNB program started spending money to bring in high-profile recruits.
It is what it is, this money thing. And where did this all start?
Again, if you look at the CIS top 10 ranked programs, these would most likely be the 10 schools spending the most money on their programs. There are plenty of guilty parties. Pity those schools who completely follow the rules. Pity the schools who can't afford to break them. No, money isn't the only reason for choosing a particular men's hockey program but, all in all, it's probably the biggest one when it comes to potential recruits. It's a good tie-breaking tool, isn't it?
If you spend it, they will come.
The same goes for football and men's basketball, for example. (Except these players aren't double-dipping their way through CHL education scholarship funds.)
The CIS may not be that different from the NCAA, after all, except for that there's nobody policing this because poor CIS, which can't even properly market itself, doesn't have the resources to spend on policing this.

(BTW, Charlie Sheen's WINNING! formula also relies heavily on money.)

P.S. As for the case of Kyle Bailey, I can't believe that he chose UNB over Alberta because he thought he had a better chance of winning at UNB.

Last edited by puck passion: 04-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
puck passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck passion View Post
What comes first the chicken or the egg? The chicken or the Golden Egg?
Sure, UNB is a winner now and that can't hurt in the recruiting process, but how did the Varsity Reds become champs? And when did they start winning? Oh, yes, there appears to be a direct correlation to when the UNB program started spending money to bring in high-profile recruits.
It is what it is, this money thing. And where did this all start?
Again, if you look at the CIS top 10 ranked programs, these would most likely be the 10 schools spending the most money on their programs. There are plenty of guilty parties. Pity those schools who completely follow the rules. Pity the schools who can't afford to break them. No, money isn't the only reason for choosing a particular men's hockey program but, all in all, it's probably the biggest one when it comes to potential recruits. It's a good tie-breaking tool, isn't it?
If you spend it, they will come.
The same goes for football and men's basketball, for example. (Except these players aren't double-dipping their way through CHL education scholarship funds.)
The CIS may not be that different from the NCAA, after all, except for that there's nobody policing this because poor CIS, which can't even properly market itself, doesn't have the resources to spend on policing this.

(BTW, Charlie Sheen's WINNING! formula also relies heavily on money.)

P.S. As for the case of Kyle Bailey, I can't believe that he chose UNB over Alberta because he thought he had a better chance of winning at UNB.
Puck passion, you are bang on but when some have a holyer than thou attitude, well you get comments like ole' Fredtfoyle. He has said it best -he will defend UNB at all cost, even if the cost is belittling the other programs or conferences - then get upset because you defend you school/conference from him at all cost. Then top it off...call you the flamer.

I think the old saying is true, the rich get richer.

And FYI, it isn't just Foyle. Squirrels are Squirrels. (Don't include the hoards of band waggoners).

When does the product become like major league baseball? As a Blue Jays fan I can say that MLB is messed up, if I were a Sox's or Yank's fan, maybe not so much. Well the AUS or CIS is going in a similar direction and it won't endear itself to anyone if it takes that route. HEY LOOK, UNB is at nationals again for the 15th time in 18 years...yawn....hey the Yankees made the playoffs again. Difference?

Old
04-01-2011, 07:10 PM
FreddtFoyle

If slandering another hockey program with no facts in hand makes you feel better, and it doesn't bother you that by association you are spreading that stink across the whole conference ... well I guess no can stop you.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
STUTOMMIES

Sometimes people let their fingers type before the brain engages. Fact, there are former UNB Varsity Red players that have ended up going to other Universities. I can think of one that was at STU first, went to UNB, then X, and currently at SMU. Do you think that the internal memo of Shhhhhhhh is honoured after they go?

Maybe others exist as well? These people are probably liars though, bitter with all things squirrel and the only way they can get on with their lives is tell tall tales?

Old
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Sometimes people let their fingers type before the brain engages. Fact, there are former UNB Varsity Red players that have ended up going to other Universities. I can think of one that was at STU first, went to UNB, then X, and currently at SMU. Do you think that the internal memo of Shhhhhhhh is honoured after they go?

Maybe others exist as well? These people are probably liars though, bitter with all things squirrel and the only way they can get on with their lives is tell tall tales?
Football player now? Bigger than a brick sh*thouse?

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote